PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC reports Quade to be named next Cubs Manager

MARTINMVP
10-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Interesting... if this is true, are the Cubs opting to not wait to see if Joe Girardi is available or has he already sent feelers (unofficially of course) their way saying he's not interested?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/39676195/ns/sports-player_news/

g0g0
10-15-2010, 07:44 AM
This would be my ideal situation. You still keep Ryno and he gets some more experience at the top level. Quade seems to be what the Cubbies need right now. As for Girardi, I've been reading that the Yanks will definitely bring him back.

DumpJerry
10-15-2010, 07:59 AM
After how he got treated last time he interviewed for the job, I can't see Girardi giving the Cubs the time of day until Kenney and Hendry are gone.

If it is true that Quade gets the job and Sandberg is Bench Coach, the Cubs are idiots. This is like when Coppola, fresh from getting an Oscar for "Patton" was so closely scrutinized while shooting "The Godfather," that Paramount had a second director on the set ready to jump in at moment's notice if Paramount did not like how the movie was progressing.

They should just let Quade do his job without having to wonder if the advice his Bench Coach is in the best interest of the Cubs or in the best interest of Sandberg.

LITTLE NELL
10-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Quade deserves it for what he did after Pinella quit.
I don't know how ideal it is having Sandberg as your bench coach with Ryno thinking he should have been named the manager.
Could be some tension there.

C-Dawg
10-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Quade deserves it for what he did after Pinella quit.

And in typical Cub fashion, they'll be 12 games out by August and the media will be second-guessing everything he does.

Moses_Scurry
10-15-2010, 08:37 AM
As much as I dislike the Cubs, I am happy for the former manager of the Rockford Expos. I've seen him manage many a single A game.

CHISOXFAN13
10-15-2010, 09:02 AM
This would be my ideal situation. You still keep Ryno and he gets some more experience at the top level. Quade seems to be what the Cubbies need right now. As for Girardi, I've been reading that the Yanks will definitely bring him back.

What is it exactly that the Cubs need? This guy has a decent run when the team is so far out of the race and there is no pressure that he's now the medicine needed to turn it around?

Please.

Sandberg as his bench coach is a big mistake. Nothing like looking over your shoulder to a guy who wanted your job.

Noneck
10-15-2010, 09:16 AM
I honestly don't understand this move. If Sandberg was given the opportunity this year, he may have done the same as Quade. A couple months of winning when your star pitcher decides to pitch and your best rbi producer gets healthy, means squat.

russ99
10-15-2010, 09:30 AM
I honestly don't understand this move. If Sandberg was given the opportunity this year, he may have done the same as Quade. A couple months of winning when your star pitcher decides to pitch and your best rbi producer gets healthy, means squat.

Maybe the Cubs realize that Sandberg's coming off as being all about himself and want to see how he works in a big league clubhouse first before trusting him with the manager job.

They also keep him away from other teams this way, and still get a small marketing buzz with him on the staff.

Pretty shrewd move if they know they have no shot at Girardi, IMO.

esbrechtel
10-15-2010, 09:33 AM
I think it is clear the cubs are avoiding the pr nightmare of firing ryno if they are bad. Quade is the fall guy. Now if he does well that sets him up for future manager positions elsewhere in MLB.

Noneck
10-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Maybe the Cubs realize that Sandberg's coming off as being all about himself and want to see how he works in a big league clubhouse first before trusting him with the manager job.

They also keep him away from other teams this way, and still get a small marketing buzz with him on the staff.

Pretty shrewd move if they know they have no shot at Girardi, IMO.

This reminds of the bulls situation. A guy that has been around for 25 years is not a hot commodity. There is a reason why he has not been a big league manager or head coach in 25 years.

nug0hs
10-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Side note, I made that Flash scoreboard in the header of the page :bandance:

g0g0
10-15-2010, 10:16 AM
What is it exactly that the Cubs need? This guy has a decent run when the team is so far out of the race and there is no pressure that he's now the medicine needed to turn it around?

Please.

Sandberg as his bench coach is a big mistake. Nothing like looking over your shoulder to a guy who wanted your job.

Who would you bring in? The Cubs have brought in some big names and they've been ridiculed for it. Now they want to promote from within and they get ridiculed. At least have an open mind about it.

If nothing else, here is a manager who was willing to manage and not think about his retirement schedule. Quade has done well (24-13), and even though they were out of contention, that's a good result. It's the best we can look at given the situation. Quade has a good chemistry with the team and knows the players well.

They stated that Ryno will be the heir apparent to Quade. So as long as they both agree, then I don't see a problem with it. As far as looking over your shoulder, the coach is normally the one who gets the axe regardless. So he better worry about the results on the field and not a Cubs legend waiting in the wings for his shot.

khan
10-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I never believed the Joe Girardi bull**** for a minute. Who in their right mind would leave the yankees for the scrubs? Managing the yankees is so easy, any moron could do it, given the $100M+ advantage in payroll. [Note that Torre did little-to-nothing before and after he got the easiest managing job in baseball.]

As far as quade goes, this is the right move. The scrubs probably won't compete for a few years, until they dump salaries. He could then be expendible until they again become relevant.

Hiring sandberg(sp?) would be the wrong thing at this time, because they'd probably have to fire him in a few years; Firing a legend would be a bad PR move for all the mouth-breathing morons that claim to be scrubs fans.

mrfourni
10-15-2010, 10:47 AM
[Note that Torre did little-to-nothing before and after he got the easiest managing job in baseball.]

Before the Yankees sure, but making the NLCS two years in a row is doing little-to-nothing?

khan
10-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Before the Yankees sure, but making the NLCS two years in a row is doing little-to-nothing?

I actually forgot about that. But then, he DID have the NL's highest-paid team in those two years, didn't he?

Regardless, I don't buy ESPN's worship of a guy piloting an F-15 when his competition in the race have Cessnas.

WhiteSox5187
10-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I think naming Quade manager is a good move, but to have Sandberg there lurking over his shoulder is a terrible move and typical of the Cubs. Maybe they can just bring back the college of coaches.

ewokpelts
10-15-2010, 02:54 PM
I never believed the Joe Girardi bull**** for a minute. Who in their right mind would leave the yankees for the scrubs? Managing the yankees is so easy, any moron could do it, given the $100M+ advantage in payroll. [Note that Torre did little-to-nothing before and after he got the easiest managing job in baseball.]

As far as quade goes, this is the right move. The scrubs probably won't compete for a few years, until they dump salaries. He could then be expendible until they again become relevant.

Hiring sandberg(sp?) would be the wrong thing at this time, because they'd probably have to fire him in a few years; Firing a legend would be a bad PR move for all the mouth-breathing morons that claim to be scrubs fans.torre won two nl west titles with LA. and took his team to the nlcs in each of those years.