PDA

View Full Version : "Meet Your 1981 Chicago White Sox!"

WhiteSox5187
10-14-2010, 02:34 AM
Here's a clip from presumably a news report on the Sox starting their first spring training under new owners Jerry Reisendorf and Eddie Einhorn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCoT-4E1-Ww&feature=related

BleacherBandit
10-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Ross Baumgarten went to my high school. Boy, that's a blast from the past, isn't it?

Hitmen77
10-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Ahh, the late Tim Weigel reporting. It's hard to believe he's been gone for 10 years already.:(:

Interesting report. I see Farmio makes an appearance in it too. It does bring back memories of the Sox at that time. I wonder how Sox history would have turned out if Debartolo was allowed to buy the team?

Those old uniforms were UGLY! Ugh, it really makes me appreciate that the Sox went back to their classic design in 1990. Those old throwback (some people call "pajama") unis were Veeck's idea by the way. ....and speaking of ugly, do you think Reinsdorf's glasses in that report could be any larger? :tongue:

1981 really was a time for optimism for Sox fans. 1978-80 were utterly forgettable. The team was bad and had a roster of mostly forgettable players and wore laughable uniforms.....and Veeck had no money to acquire or keep good players. But in '81 they got Fisk and Ron Leflore and they had that promising young pitching staff.

The Sox were decent in that strike-shortened '81 season and then they improved for 1982 and then really caught fire in 1983 by winning 99 games. I thought that was a great trend for the first 3 years under the new ownership.....to bad things pretty much fell apart until 1990 after that. :mad:

tstrike2000
10-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I didn't know much about Ron LeFlore, but it was getting a bat with his signature on it at bat day during the '81 season that made me a Sox fan.

tebman
10-14-2010, 11:00 AM
1981 really was a time for optimism for Sox fans. 1978-80 were utterly forgettable. The team was bad and had a roster of mostly forgettable players and wore laughable uniforms.....and Veeck had no money to acquire or keep good players. But in '81 they got Fisk and Ron Leflore and they had that promising young pitching staff.

The Sox were decent in that strike-shortened '81 season and then they improved for 1982 and then really caught fire in 1983 by winning 99 games. I thought that was a great trend for the first 3 years under the new ownership.....to bad things pretty much fell apart until 1990 after that. :mad:

So true. I went to Opening Day in 1981 and the huge crowd was electric with enthusiasm. It was a sunny day, Fisk hit a grand slam in the 4th in his first Chicago home game, the Sox won 9-3...man, it was great. You couldn't help but be optimistic.

An unsettling touch was the aggressive way the ushers checked tickets. Einhorn had made a big deal about "cleaning up" the atmosphere at Sox games and verifying you were in your assigned seat was part of that. It was as if you had to raise your hand to go to the bathroom. They lightened up later, but that was weird.

The strike put cold water on the season later that summer, but optimism ran wild in the beginning. It was a good time.

Zisk77
10-14-2010, 12:51 PM
LOL, methinks Ron LeFlore does not know the meaning of the word morale.:D:

Zisk77
10-14-2010, 12:52 PM
I was at that years spring training right after Fisk was acquired. Essian was pissed and wouldn't sign autographs.

dickallen15
10-14-2010, 01:39 PM
I was at that years spring training right after Fisk was acquired. Essian was pissed and wouldn't sign autographs.
IIRC, Essian was sent to Seattle the next winter as part of the deal for Wimpy.

stl_sox_fan
10-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks for that memory. Side note, I think I am the only kid from my high school who ever did a book report on "One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story". Good book.
"Hot young prospect Harold Baines"....awesome. My all time favorite pale hose.

Nellie_Fox
10-14-2010, 03:15 PM
I remember LeFlore camping under a fly ball, having it completely miss his glove and hit him in the forehead, knocking his cap off.

LITTLE NELL
10-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Went to the last game before the strike, we beat the Yankees and were only 2.5 games out but we were on a nice roll with a 4 game winning streak and then no more baseball for 2 months.

SI1020
10-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Went to the last game before the strike, we beat the Yankees and were only 2.5 games out but we were on a nice roll with a 4 game winning streak and then no more baseball for 2 months. My wife and I were at that game. We had two very young children at the time and didn't get to go out often, so it was an especially enjoyable evening for us. The crowd was really into the game. I can still see Harold Baines camping under a fly ball hit by Willie Randolph to end the game. I was hoping that the impending strike would be a short one, but it wasn't to be.

LITTLE NELL
10-14-2010, 05:41 PM
My wife and I were at that game. We had two very young children at the time and didn't get to go out often, so it was an especially enjoyable evening for us. The crowd was really into the game. I can still see Harold Baines camping under a fly ball hit by Willie Randolph to end the game. I was hoping that the impending strike would be a short one, but it wasn't to be.

At the end of the game we just sat there until the ballpark cleared out and I'll ever forget my cousin saying as we looked at the empty ballpark with those green seats "God I love this place".

KenBerryGrab
10-14-2010, 05:47 PM
During the strike that year, Baumgarten, Ken Kravec and Dewey Robinson came out to throw with the American Legion team my brother coached. I got singles off of all three. The highlight of my baseball life....

gogosox675
10-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Obviously strikes hurt every team, but the Sox seem to have been hit pretty hard. 1981 and 1994 could have been big years for them if they had both been completed in their entirety.

Medford Bobby
10-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm one of the few who still likes those pre-Reinsdorf era uniforms. :smile:

I did not like the later SOX soft ball looking uni's and welcomed the change in 1987.

Brian26
10-14-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm one of the few who still likes those pre-Reinsdorf era uniforms. :smile:

I liked the color combination of the dark tops and white pants. I hated the collar, but on the dark jerseys it's hard to see. Soft spot because that's the first baseball cap I owned too.

Nellie_Fox
10-15-2010, 12:13 AM
I liked the color combination of the dark tops and white pants. I hated the collar, but on the dark jerseys it's hard to see. Soft spot because that's the first baseball cap I owned too.The cap was the only decent part of that uniform.

Dub25
10-15-2010, 12:27 AM
So true. I went to Opening Day in 1981 and the huge crowd was electric with enthusiasm. It was a sunny day, Fisk hit a grand slam in the 4th in his first Chicago home game, the Sox won 9-3...man, it was great. You couldn't help but be optimistic.

An unsettling touch was the aggressive way the ushers checked tickets. Einhorn had made a big deal about "cleaning up" the atmosphere at Sox games and verifying you were in your assigned seat was part of that. It was as if you had to raise your hand to go to the bathroom. They lightened up later, but that was weird.

The strike put cold water on the season later that summer, but optimism ran wild in the beginning. It was a good time.

Kind of like when they had fences to keep bleacher people in those sections during the 1st year or 2 of the "New Comiskey"??? Man did that piss me off.

Dub25
10-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Ahh, the late Tim Weigel reporting. It's hard to believe he's been gone for 10 years already.:(:

Interesting report. I see Farmio makes an appearance in it too. It does bring back memories of the Sox at that time. I wonder how Sox history would have turned out if Debartolo was allowed to buy the team?

Those old uniforms were UGLY! Ugh, it really makes me appreciate that the Sox went back to their classic design in 1990. Those old throwback (some people call "pajama") unis were Veeck's idea by the way. ....and speaking of ugly, do you think Reinsdorf's glasses in that report could be any larger? :tongue:

I was 5 years old when DeBartlo was denied but my old man always tells me what if...

C-Dawg
10-15-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm one of the few who still likes those pre-Reinsdorf era uniforms.

Count me in too. I like them.

Medford Bobby
10-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Kind of like when they had fences to keep bleacher people in those sections during the 1st year or 2 of the "New Comiskey"??? Man did that piss me off.

Gosh I had forgotten about that...I had moved to Wisconsin, so the south side was a little too far!