PDA

View Full Version : Rick Hahn Scheduled to Interview for Mets' GM Opening

soxfanreggie
10-12-2010, 11:34 AM
The article is about Cora but does get into Rick Hahn being scheduled for an interview when the Mets come up:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5674413

DirtySox
10-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Many outlets are reporting that Sandy Alderson is the favorite to land the job.

khan
10-12-2010, 11:45 AM
I'd really like to see Hahn have a crack at being the GM here. I don't know if he'd be good at it or not, but I wouldn't mind finding out.

sox1970
10-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Many outlets are reporting that Sandy Alderson is the favorite to land the job.

True, but if Alderson doesn't get it, I have no doubt Hahn will get the job.

DirtySox
10-12-2010, 11:54 AM
True, but if Alderson doesn't get it, I have no doubt Hahn will get the job.

Agreed. Supposedly they like plenty about Hahn as well.

Not saying Alderson is a lock, but many sources seem to think he's the most likely.

thedudeabides
10-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Hahn is a smart guy, and if KW ever decides to retire, Rick will take over if he doesn't take over another team. But, Rick was also the one banging the drum for Swisher and Teehen. Two of the biggest recent failures.

His expertise lies in finance and trusting his scouts. He's very good at contracts. One of the best. Just saying, he's more of a finance guy than a baseball guy.

khan
10-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Hahn is a smart guy, and if KW ever decides to retire, Rick will take over if he doesn't take over another team. But, Rick was also the one banging the drum for Swisher and Teehen. Two of the biggest recent failures.
Actually, I don't see the Teahen deal as a mistake, so much as the contract extension. For what was given up, it was a fair exchange of value, and a reasonable gamble. The contract extension reeks of KW's ego, so as to enable him to show the world that he's somehow smarter than everyone else.

I didn't like what was given up to GET Swisher. But I HATED what was received to GIVE UP Swisher. Again, this impulsive, reactionary, emotionally-driven trade of Swisher to nyy seems like the move of a guy who only has a high school diploma [KW], not a guy with both a Northwestern MBA and a Harvard JD.

His expertise lies in finance and trusting his scouts. He's very good at contracts. One of the best. Just saying, he's more of a finance guy than a baseball guy.
I'd rather have a trained business type RUNNING the organization, with the "baseball guys" doing the scouting, coaching, and other "baseball" things. If the adage is that "baseball is a business," let it be run by a businessman, while being supported by the baseball guys. NOT the other way around, IMO.

After all, it works well that way for the red sawx, so why not here?

thedudeabides
10-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Actually, I don't see the Teahen deal as a mistake, so much as the contract extension. For what was given up, it was a fair exchange of value, and a reasonable gamble. The contract extension reeks of KW's ego, so as to enable him to show the world that he's somehow smarter than everyone else.

I didn't like what was given up to GET Swisher. But I HATED what was received to GIVE UP Swisher. Again, this impulsive, reactionary, emotionally-driven trade of Swisher to nyy seems like the move of a guy who only has a high school diploma [KW], not a guy with both a Northwestern MBA and a Harvard JD.

I'd rather have a trained business type RUNNING the organization, with the "baseball guys" doing the scouting, coaching, and other "baseball" things. If the adage is that "baseball is a business," let it be run by a businessman, while being supported by the baseball guys. NOT the other way around, IMO.

After all, it works well that way for the red sawx, so why not here?

The Red Sox have made so many mistakes, that money has covered up, I'm surprised you bring that up. I think Kenny and Rick working together is a good pair. They keep each other in check, I hope it stays that way.

khan
10-12-2010, 12:24 PM
The Red Sox have made so many mistakes, that money has covered up, I'm surprised you bring that up. I think Kenny and Rick working together is a good pair. They keep each other in check, I hope it stays that way.

Sure, the sawx have made their share of mistakes. But their superior scouting, signing, drafting and development systems keep them relevant. Their front office has enhanced their potential for success moreso than the White SOX's has, IMO.

I agree that KW and Hahn are a good combination. But, I'd prefer that the more level-headed, more educated businessman LEAD the organization, with the emotional, ego-centric "baseball guy" being either kicked upstairs, or reporting to Hahn.

asindc
10-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Sure, the sawx have made their share of mistakes. But their superior scouting, signing, drafting and development systems keep them relevant. Their front office has enhanced their potential for success moreso than the White SOX's has, IMO.

I agree that KW and Hahn are a good combination. But, I'd prefer that the more level-headed, more educated businessman LEAD the organization, with the emotional, ego-centric "baseball guy" being either kicked upstairs, or reporting to Hahn.

While I think Epstein is the best GM in baseball, it does not take superior scouting to pay Beltre $9 million to play 3B for one year to make up for agreeing to pay Lowell $37.5 million over three years when he was 34 years old, or pay Beckett $30 million over three years to make up for paying Matt Clement $25.8 million over three years, or pay Scutaro $12.5 million over two years to make up for having traded Hanley Ramirez, leaving the club without a suitable replacement for Renteria, who was traded for Andy Marte. It also does not take a level-headed business mind to pay Lackey $82.5 million over five years when he is 31 years old.

khan
10-12-2010, 03:08 PM
While I think Epstein is the best GM in baseball, it does not take superior scouting to pay Beltre $9 million to play 3B for one year to make up for agreeing to pay Lowell $37.5 million over three years when he was 34 years old, or pay Beckett $30 million over three years to make up for paying Matt Clement $25.8 million over three years, or pay Scutaro $12.5 million over two years to make up for having traded Hanley Ramirez, leaving the club without a suitable replacement for Renteria, who was traded for Andy Marte. It also does not take a level-headed business mind to pay Lackey $82.5 million over five years when he is 31 years old.
Sure. But having productive young players at manageable contracts [Pedroia, Ellsbury, and others] gives Epstein the financial flexibility to make such signings.

Stupidly drafting steaming piles of crap like Fields, Broadway, and others that can't play dead makes your team MORE financially straightjacketed.

Stupidly trading away young, promising players for expensive veterans when your team has NO PRAYER of making the world series is even dumber. [Note that Epstein recognized that his team was not going to get it done this year, and did NOT add to their 2010 payroll.]

Stupidly sticking to the "slot" bonuses in draft picks costs your team down the road. Intelligently going overslot in selected situations has given Epstein the ammo to make trades when he's needed to do so.

While many of the signings you mention were inefficient, Epstein has afforded himself the opportunity to go into FA by building a cheap core of young players FIRST. The results also speak for themselves through the more frequent visits to the post season than the SOX, the 2 WS wins [again more than our SOX], and the ongoing presence as a contender, despite being in the toughest division in baseball. KW could learn a thing or 800 from Epstein.

asindc
10-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Sure. But having productive young players at manageable contracts [Pedroia, Ellsbury, and others] gives Epstein the financial flexibility to make such signings.

Stupidly drafting steaming piles of crap like Fields, Broadway, and others that can't play dead makes your team MORE financially straightjacketed.

Stupidly trading away young, promising players for expensive veterans when your team has NO PRAYER of making the world series is even dumber. [Note that Epstein recognized that his team was not going to get it done this year, and did NOT add to their 2010 payroll.]

Stupidly sticking to the "slot" bonuses in draft picks costs your team down the road. Intelligently going overslot in selected situations has given Epstein the ammo to make trades when he's needed to do so.

While many of the signings you mention were inefficient, Epstein has afforded himself the opportunity to go into FA by building a cheap core of young players FIRST. The results also speak for themselves through the more frequent visits to the post season than the SOX, the 2 WS wins [again more than our SOX], and the ongoing presence as a contender, despite being in the toughest division in baseball. KW could learn a thing or 800 from Epstein.

Sure. But having productive young players at manageable contracts [Pedroia (Alexei), Ellsbury (Beckham), and others (Sale, Santos)] gives Epstein the financial flexibility to make such signings (aka raise payroll to $168 million while paying their top 11-highest paid players at least $7.7 million a year (only two of whom came from their farm system), which does not include $9.25 million this year to Julio Lugo).

Stupidly drafting steaming piles of crap like Fields (Lowrie), Broadway (Kris Johnson), and others (Aaron Bates) that can't play dead makes your team MORE financially straightjacketed.

By the way, I sincerely hope that among the 800 things Epstein can teach KW is not how to give a 36-year-old CF $15.5 million to play two years, or not how to be on the hook to pay a 30-year pitcher $17 million a year for the next four years after he posted a 75 ERA+, or not how to pay Julio Lugo $9.25 million for a season when he is not even on your team.

KMcMahon817
10-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Look at Pedroia's contract before you say it is "manageable". It gets quite "unmanageable" very quickly.

I agree with Asindc; every GM makes mistakes, including the infallible Theo Epstein and the Boston Red Saux.

khan
10-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Sure. But having productive young players at manageable contracts [Pedroia (Alexei), Ellsbury (Beckham), and others (Sale, Santos)] gives Epstein the financial flexibility to make such signings (aka raise payroll to $168 million while paying their top 11-highest paid players at least $7.7 million a year (only two of whom came from their farm system), which does not include $9.25 million this year to Julio Lugo).
1. Epstein can afford to raise payroll to $168M [in part] because he has scouted/drafted/signed youngsters wisely, but ALSO his team also has the added luxury of additional revenue year after year from post season baseball, and two WS.

2. Let's not forget that of the top 11 salaries for the SOX, only Buehrle came from the farm system. At the same time, the lower-paid players from the sawx are more talented than the lower-paid players on our SOX, thus enabling more spending on the top end of their payroll.

Stupidly drafting steaming piles of crap like Fields (Lowrie), Broadway (Kris Johnson), and others (Aaron Bates) that can't play dead makes your team MORE financially straightjacketed.
Lowrie's been injured for much of his career, and in either case, he's more promising than Fields.
Kris Johnson may or may not amount to anything, but he again is more promising than Broadway, or the SOX's 2006 pick, Kyle Mcculloch.
Aaron Bates is a 3rd round pick who is actually still with the team that drafted him, unlike fields or mcculloch. I'd hardly point to a 3rd round pick as being a failure on the part of the GM that signed him.

By the way, I sincerely hope that among the 800 things Epstein can teach KW is not how to give a 36-year-old CF $15.5 million to play two years, or not how to be on the hook to pay a 30-year pitcher $17 million a year for the next four years after he posted a 75 ERA+, or not how to pay Julio Lugo $9.25 million for a season when he is not even on your team.
I don't disagree that Epstein has made mistakes. But Epstein's successes in other areas has made up for much of this.

At the same time, if you're going to even suggest that you'd rather have KW than Theo Epstein, then I don't know what to tell you.

khan
10-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Look at Pedroia's contract before you say it is "manageable". It gets quite "unmanageable" very quickly.
Given that it was signed after he won the ROY and the MVP in consecutive seasons, this is a pretty manageable contract. [We could debate whether or not he deserved those awards, but he did win them nonetheless.]

I agree with Asindc; every GM makes mistakes, including the infallible Theo Epstein and the Boston Red Saux.

I agree that Epstein has made his mistakes. But he's had more success that has translated into his teams being more successful than KW's.

asindc
10-12-2010, 04:37 PM
1. Epstein can afford to raise payroll to $168M [in part] because he has scouted/drafted/signed youngsters wisely, but ALSO his team also has the added luxury of additional revenue year after year from post season baseball, and two WS.

2. Let's not forget that of the top 11 salaries for the SOX, only Buehrle came from the farm system. At the same time, the lower-paid players from the sawx are more talented than the lower-paid players on our SOX, thus enabling more spending on the top end of their payroll.

Lowrie's been injured for much of his career, and in either case, he's more promising than Fields.
Kris Johnson may or may not amount to anything, but he again is more promising than Broadway, or the SOX's 2006 pick, Kyle Mcculloch.
Aaron Bates is a 3rd round pick who is actually still with the team that drafted him, unlike fields or mcculloch. I'd hardly point to a 3rd round pick as being a failure on the part of the GM that signed him.

I don't disagree that Epstein has made mistakes. But Epstein's successes in other areas has made up for much of this.

At the same time, if you're going to even suggest that you'd rather have KW than Theo Epstein, then I don't know what to tell you.

1. ... not to mention last (but absolutely not least) the NESN network and the related 5.8-state (they basically share the Conn. suburbs with the NY teams) fan base.

2. See 1.

I'm glad Brent Morel has shown more promise than Bates, despite being drafted in the 3rd round two years after him. As for Epstein, see post # 10 in this thread. I still think it's a good thing for Epstein that he has NESN money to fall back on.

esbrechtel
10-12-2010, 05:30 PM
eh, we don't need his kid to pick heads or tails on the coin toss anymore so who cares :redneck

DickAllen72
10-12-2010, 05:41 PM

Hahn also thought Mackowiak could play center field. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1613502.html

WhiteSox5187
10-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Hahn also thought Mackowiak could play center field. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1613502.html

I suspect Kenny was also a big believer in that.

DickAllen72
10-12-2010, 05:51 PM
I suspect Kenny was also a big believer in that.
Kenny thought Anderson was going to take over as the starting CFer. He brought Mackowiak in to strengthen the bench. I don't remember KW ever saying anything about acquiring Mackowiak to play CF.

I don't doubt that he might have listened to Hahn and figured Mackowiak could back up in CF if needed. Maybe he shouldn't have listened to Hahn on that one, LOL.

WhiteSox5187
10-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Kenny thought Anderson was going to take over as the starting CFer. He brought Mackowiak in to strengthen the bench. I don't remember KW ever saying anything about acquiring Mackowiak to play CF.

Again, if Hahn was saying it, it was something that Kenny believed. Hahn wouldn't go out and say something if Kenny didn't agree with him, also keep in mind that Mackowiak was a back up OFer (and that included 31 games in CF) for Pittsburgh so when he was acquired it was fairly safe to assume that he was going to be play SOME CF as his job was to be the back up OFer.

Tragg
10-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately, the article reveals the bad news: Cora is likely back.
This coaching staff could use a shake up.

Daver
10-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Unfortunately, the article reveals the bad news: Cora is likely back.
This coaching staff could use a shake up.

Firing Joey Cora accomplishes what?

Tragg
10-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Firing Joey Cora accomplishes what?
Breaks up some of the stale thinking, perhaps a new perspective and some fresh blood. I'd prefer him just to move on, not get fired.
You think he's a good coach?

Chez
10-12-2010, 07:29 PM
I hope Rick Hahn gets the opportunity to be a GM -- whether on the South Side or, if not, somewhere else.

Daver
10-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Breaks up some of the stale thinking, perhaps a new perspective and some fresh blood. I'd prefer him just to move on, not get fired.
You think he's a good coach?

Without Cora Beckham would have been a disaster at second this year, and I really don't see how firing Ozzie's yes man brings any kind of change in perspective.

Dub25
10-14-2010, 11:31 PM
I'd really like to see Hahn have a crack at being the GM here. I don't know if he'd be good at it or not, but I wouldn't mind finding out.

I agree and as far as Cora is concerned... good riddance

SI1020
10-15-2010, 12:38 PM
I see some enabling for Hahn. His judgment hasn't been all that great at times. Maybe he will and maybe he won't be a good GM somewhere, but at this point I'm not overly excited about the possiblilty of Hahn getting KW's job.

DirtySox
10-17-2010, 12:05 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/518275190/olney_buster_m_normal.jpg
Buster_ESPN (http://twitter.com/#%21/Buster_ESPN) Buster Olney
FYI:The Mets have scheduled a 2nd meeting with Sandy Alderson this week, likely to happen Thursday. He is regarded as the frontrunner for GM
6 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/Buster_ESPN/status/27654204731)

doublem23
10-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Mets will pass on Hahn.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/10/soxs-hahn-out-of-running-for-mets-gm-job.html

DumpJerry
10-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Mets will pass on Hahn.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/10/soxs-hahn-out-of-running-for-mets-gm-job.html
As part of their due diligence, the Mets read WSI for feedback on Hahn. While they liked what they read about him, they saw he reported to, and was mentored by, the worst GM in the history of professional sports, Kenny Williams.

Considering the sources, this was a concern.

russ99
10-22-2010, 04:46 PM
As part of their due diligence, the Mets read WSI for feedback on Hahn. While they liked what they read about him, they saw he reported to, and was mentored by, the worst GM in the history of professional sports, Kenny Williams.

Considering the sources, this was a concern.

I find it hilarious that Kenny has supposedly fallen to "the worst GM in the history of professional sports" in the course of 8 months. :rolleyes:

What a ridiculous assumption. Both Alderson and Byrnes have been a GM before. That's why Hahn was not a finalist for the Mets job, lack of experience in the specific job.

doublem23
10-22-2010, 10:16 PM
I find it hilarious that Kenny has supposedly fallen to "the worst GM in the history of professional sports" in the course of 8 months. :rolleyes:

Uh, Rick Hahn isn't Kenny Williams.

spawn
10-22-2010, 11:13 PM

What a ridiculous assumption. Both Alderson and Byrnes have been a GM before. That's why Hahn was not a finalist for the Mets job, lack of experience in the specific job.
I find it hilarious you didn't note the sarcasm in his post.

Frater Perdurabo
10-22-2010, 11:14 PM
I find it hilarious you didn't note the sarcasm in his post.

No teal = no sarcasm.

:tongue:

tsoxman
10-24-2010, 07:26 AM
I find it hilarious that Kenny has supposedly fallen to "the worst GM in the history of professional sports" in the course of 8 months. :rolleyes:.
No... Kenny has been working on this title for a few years now.

palehozenychicty
10-24-2010, 07:46 AM
They did him a favor. The Wilpons are fools. Alderson will quit in three years when Jose Reyes' hamstring flares up again.

soxfanreggie
10-26-2010, 11:10 PM
According to SI.com, Mets hire Alderson. Looks like we won't be losing Hahn to them.

TheCommander
10-27-2010, 05:49 PM
According to SI.com, Mets hire Alderson. Looks like we won't be losing Hahn to them.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2639358&postcount=30