PDA

View Full Version : Expanding the playoffs to 10 teams?

Rockabilly
10-10-2010, 04:21 AM
According to Phil Rogers. MLB is thinking about adding a 2nd wildcard team to both leagues.

One format is the two wild card teams play either 1 Game or a 3 game series.

TDog
10-10-2010, 04:45 AM
According to Phil Rogers. MLB is thinking about adding a 2nd wildcard team to both leagues.

One format is the two wild card teams play either 1 Game or a 3 game series.

There are too many wild card teams in the baseball postseason already.

nccwsfan
10-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Please no.

asindc
10-10-2010, 08:30 AM
no.

Zakath
10-10-2010, 09:00 AM
That really makes no sense. A one-game playoff between the two would be a joke (when they've essentially had 162 games to sort it out), while a three-game series means that the three division winners are going to be waiting around for up to a week for that series to finish.

No thanks.

S-SideTrifecta
10-10-2010, 09:23 AM
They want to insure that the Boston Red Sox will get a Wild Card every year, it is just good for baseball. :redneck

Brian26
10-10-2010, 10:18 AM
That really makes no sense. A one-game playoff between the two would be a joke (when they've essentially had 162 games to sort it out), while a three-game series means that the three division winners are going to be waiting around for up to a week for that series to finish.

No thanks.

There are some inherent problems with the concept of two Wild Card teams. I'm not the first to point this out, as I saw it posted on a blog last week, but consider this scenario:

The Yankees and Red Sox are battling for the AL East crown at the end of the season with 97 wins each. The next best record of a non-division winning team (essentially what would be the 2nd wild card team) is the White Sox with 88 wins. The Yankees and Red Sox go into the last game of the season knowing they need a crucial victory to win the division and use their #1 pitcher to avoid playing in the Wild Card one-game elimination. Meanwhile, the Sox could sit back and start a AAA call-up and rest their #1 for the wild card game, giving the Sox an unfair advantage in the one-game playoff against the loser of Boston or NYY, deeming the 162 marathon schedule almost meaningless to that point.

Tragg
10-10-2010, 10:38 AM
For goodness sakes, no.
What they must do, however, is expand round 1 to 7 games.

comiskey2000
10-10-2010, 11:16 AM
The MLB playoffs already are the best. The NBA and NHL let in over 50% of the league in the playoffs. No thanks. Let the postseason mean something. Don't change a thing.

TommyJohn
10-10-2010, 11:38 AM
There are some inherent problems with the concept of two Wild Card teams. I'm not the first to point this out, as I saw it posted on a blog last week, but consider this scenario:

The Yankees and Red Sox are battling for the AL East crown at the end of the season with 97 wins each. The next best record of a non-division winning team (essentially what would be the 2nd wild card team) is the White Sox with 88 wins. The Yankees and Red Sox go into the last game of the season knowing they need a crucial victory to win the division and use their #1 pitcher to avoid playing in the Wild Card one-game elimination. Meanwhile, the Sox could sit back and start a AAA call-up and rest their #1 for the wild card game, giving the Sox an unfair advantage in the one-game playoff against the loser of Boston or NYY, deeming the 162 marathon schedule almost meaningless to that point.Ah, yes. But the wild card one-game playoff would draw a sellout crowd, be broadcast nationally, and bring in added revenue. I do see your point, but more money is greater than any concerns over rendering the season "meaningless." And it doesn't matter if it is $500,000 more or $10,000,000 more, if MLB thinks that one more wild card team will mean more money, it will happen.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-10-2010, 11:47 AM
1 game series? That's like kicking the losing team in the nuts and laughing. I don't think that's right.

Lip Man 1
10-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm all for expanding the post season.....as long as the owners agree to cut the regular season back down to 154 games or even less.

November baseball doesn't exactly thrill me.

Lip

Zakath
10-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Ah, yes. But the wild card one-game playoff would draw a sellout crowd, be broadcast nationally, and bring in added revenue. I do see your point, but more money is greater than any concerns over rendering the season "meaningless." And it doesn't matter if it is $500,000 more or $10,000,000 more, if MLB thinks that one more wild card team will mean more money, it will happen.

If that's the case, then let's add a whole round and make it 8 in each league. Imagine how much more money that would bring in.

Be nothing better than a 80-win team making the playoffs in the NL...

Zakath
10-10-2010, 12:33 PM
1 game series? That's like kicking the losing team in the nuts and laughing. I don't think that's right.

Especially if the losing team is the one that ended up 5 or 6 games ahead of the winning team. Imagine how the Yankees would have felt to finish 6 games ahead of Boston this year and then lose to them in a one-game playoff.

SI1020
10-10-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm all for expanding the post season.....as long as the owners agree to cut the regular season back down to 154 games or even less.

November baseball doesn't exactly thrill me.

Lip One of these days November baseball is going to bite baseball hard on the ass. I don't think the baseball owners, or owners of any other professional sport care one way or another about the quality of the product. More game = more money.

sox1970
10-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I'd be ok with 5 teams in each league making the playoffs if they made both leagues 15 teams and eliminated divisions, making it a straight, top 33% of each league getting postseason games. There would be interleague play throughout the season, but it can be done with the bulk of it during the middle of the season.

I wouldn't have a one-game playoff decide it though. I'd have the 4 and 5 seeds play a best-of-three in the 4 seed's park. Finish the regular season on a Wednesday, and then they'd play three straight starting on a Friday. Then the regular format starts on the following Tuesday.

It would bring more meaningful games in September to more teams, which would help attendance. But the better the record you have, the more it is of an advantage once it's down to four teams.

Bucky F. Dent
10-10-2010, 03:19 PM
no!

ComiskeyBrewer
10-10-2010, 05:25 PM
I don't have a problem with expanding, but a one game playoff is one of the dumbest ideas Bud has come up with yet(and as a Brewers fan, that says A LOT about how dumb i think this idea is).

WhiteSox5187
10-10-2010, 06:32 PM
This is a terrible, terrible idea. Baseball was not meant to be played in November and the post season already lasts too long. This really does seem to be a ploy to ensure that Boston and New York are always in the post season.

A. Cavatica
10-10-2010, 07:54 PM
They want to insure that the Boston Red Sox will get a Wild Card every year, it is just good for baseball. :redneck

My thoughts exactly.

Damn Rays.

Brian26
10-10-2010, 08:22 PM
I'd be ok with 5 teams in each league making the playoffs if they made both leagues 15 teams and eliminated divisions, making it a straight, top 33% of each league getting postseason games.

That's too many teams based on a 162 game schedule.

I wouldn't have a one-game playoff decide it though. I'd have the 4 and 5 seeds play a best-of-three in the 4 seed's park. Finish the regular season on a Wednesday, and then they'd play three straight starting on a Friday. Then the regular format starts on the following Tuesday.

This becomes a logistical nightmare once you've eliminated the divisions and three or four teams have the same record in the #4 or #5 slot.

It would bring more meaningful games in September to more teams, which would help attendance.

That's not necessarily true. In fact, eliminating divisions with this format might make for less teams playing meaningful games.

palehozenychicty
10-10-2010, 08:27 PM
This is a terrible, terrible idea. Baseball was not meant to be played in November and the post season already lasts too long. This really does seem to be a ploy to ensure that Boston and New York are always in the post season.

Exactly. I'm not saying that a salary cap is the answer, but you can't have a league where its source of revenue is completely dependent on two teams. They need to split the revenue from those regional sports networks.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Well, it must get annoying having a team that doesn't make the playoffs have a record better than a team that does, because of a week division. This would probably drop the chances of that happening MUCH more. But, this almost guarantees the Yankees and Boston will always be in the playoffs...

FielderJones
10-10-2010, 09:25 PM
This really does seem to be a ploy to ensure that Boston and New York are always in the post season.

Bingo!

Dan H
10-11-2010, 12:02 AM
No way. They will only make the regular season meaningless. There is one solution - Boycott any game between wild card teams. That will solve the problem.

Red Barchetta
10-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Bad idea. I like the current Wildcard format as (a) it keeps more teams in the hunt through the end of the season and (b) I like the idea of a team sporting a better record making the playoffs and potentially advancing against a weaker division winner who backed into the playoffs. However, if they add another wildcard team, they dilute that process.

I would like them to expand the first round of the playoffs to 7 games and in return, reduce the regular season to 158-160 games. No November baseball!

g0g0
10-11-2010, 10:00 AM
No unless they reduce the regular season as mentioned. We don't need baseball year around. The great thing about the postseason for MLB is that it's relatively short. You get rid of the pretenders during the regular season and have a short and sweet postseason. 3 series and you are out.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-11-2010, 10:41 AM
No unless they reduce the regular season as mentioned. We don't need baseball year around. The great thing about the postseason for MLB is that it's relatively short. You get rid of the pretenders during the regular season and have a short and sweet postseason. 3 series and you are out.The Twins still found their way into the playoffs.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-11-2010, 11:10 AM
The Twins still found their way into the playoffs.

Blame the division.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-11-2010, 05:44 PM

I agree with this - take 2 weeks off the season and let October be the month the LCS and WS are played.

This really does seem to be a ploy to ensure that Boston and New York are always in the post season.

The very 1st thing I thought of too. Imagine what the East Coast online voting boards will look like when you're allowed to give your opinion online.

MLB takes the right approach - one WC, 3 divisions, win or go home.

Daver
10-11-2010, 05:48 PM
No unless they reduce the regular season as mentioned. We don't need baseball year around. The great thing about the postseason for MLB is that it's relatively short. You get rid of the pretenders during the regular season and have a short and sweet postseason. 3 series and you are out.

As long as there is a wildcard you will have also rans making playoff appearances, it's a joke.

downstairs
10-11-2010, 05:54 PM
I honestly think baseball has the best pro playoff system in the country. Its perfect to me. You basically have to win your division to get in, and one- and ONLY one- other team gets in. Often a team good enough to win another division, just unfortunately were behind a real, real strong team.

A. Cavatica
10-11-2010, 06:52 PM
There's really no need for any teams not to make the playoffs, as long as baseball contracts out the riffraff, like most of those teams that play with a "designated hitter".

I'm thinking an 8-team league, with 8 playoff teams:

Red Sox
Yankees
Phillies
Mets
Braves
Cubs
Cardinals
Dodgers

Orioles and Giants would be casualties, but since they have nice stadiums, the All-Star game could be held there in alternate years.

g0g0
10-12-2010, 08:38 AM
The Twins still found their way into the playoffs.

Twins might have been pretenders in the ALDS, but no one was capable of catching them. So I don't know which is worse.

As long as there is a wildcard you will have also rans making playoff appearances, it's a joke.

The only team I didn't have confidence in was the Reds. The Central was atrocious this year.

Blame the division.

+1

Hitmen77
10-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Bad idea. I like the current Wildcard format as (a) it keeps more teams in the hunt through the end of the season and (b) I like the idea of a team sporting a better record making the playoffs and potentially advancing against a weaker division winner who backed into the playoffs. However, if they add another wildcard team, they dilute that process.

I would like them to expand the first round of the playoffs to 7 games and in return, reduce the regular season to 158-160 games. No November baseball!

What I think needs to happen is for MLB to go a balanced schedule so that when a team has a "better record", it's really an even comparison. This is especially true for the wild card "standings". But I want this for division winners too. It would be nice to have some reality about a team's W-L total. Is a team's 94 win total because they racked up wins in a soft division? Or are they really that good?

There's really no need for any teams not to make the playoffs, as long as baseball contracts out the riffraff, like most of those teams that play with a "designated hitter".

I'm thinking an 8-team league, with 8 playoff teams:

Red Sox
Yankees
Phillies
Mets
Braves
Cubs
Cardinals
Dodgers

Orioles and Giants would be casualties, but since they have nice stadiums, the All-Star game could be held there in alternate years.

The sad thing is, there are many people in the national sports media that think these are the only teams teams (except for the Braves) that matter or are worth covering.

Nellie_Fox
10-12-2010, 11:25 AM
What I think needs to happen is for MLB to go a balanced schedule so that when a team has a "better record", it's really an even comparison. As long as there's inter-league play, the schedules will always be uneven.

Moses_Scurry
10-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I would like the stupid rule that the top seed can't play against the wildcard team if they are in the same division. I'm surprised more people don't complain about that one. I don't get the purpose, unless it is a conspiracy to enhance the odds of the Yanks and the Bosox meeting in the ALCS instead of the ALDS every year.

I would do seeding strictly on record. Texas would have been the 4 seed instead of Tampa.

TheOldRoman
10-12-2010, 12:19 PM
I would like the stupid rule that the top seed can't play against the wildcard team if they are in the same division. I'm surprised more people don't complain about that one. I don't get the purpose, unless it is a conspiracy to enhance the odds of the Yanks and the Bosox meeting in the ALCS instead of the ALDS every year.

I would do seeding strictly on record. Texas would have been the 4 seed instead of Tampa.But it also decreases the chances of the Yankees and Red Sox meeting in the playoffs, as both would have to win a series. They haven't met in the playoffs in 6 years, and only three times total. The reasoning is, it is boring to have teams start the playoffs against a team they saw 18 times throughout the year (possibly in the last week of the season, too), so interest would wane. However, having them wait until the LCS to play not only decreases the chances they would play, but also makes the the series more interesting than an LDS would be, since winner takes all for the pennant. That rule doesn't bother me much. I would hate seeing a Yankees/Red Sox LDS every year.

gogosox675
10-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Honestly, I wish baseball could go back to two divisions per league, but that's obviously not going to happen. The playoffs need to stay the way they are right now.

Gavin
10-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Would it really be that bad? Yes, it'd let NYY and BOS play each other in the postseason, but it really doesn't mess with anyone else. Here's what this year's 10 team postseason would look like (I think I did this right).

I don't know... I kind of view it as harmless, unless you're a Braves fan.

http://i52.tinypic.com/16c74g8.jpg

cub killer
10-12-2010, 05:01 PM
I would do seeding strictly on record. Texas would have been the 4 seed instead of Tampa.
Tampa is not the 4 seed this year.

ewokpelts
10-12-2010, 06:04 PM
As long as there's inter-league play, the schedules will always be uneven.have full interleague.
each team plays each other for at least one series per year.

Nellie_Fox
10-13-2010, 12:45 AM
have full interleague.
each team plays each other for at least one series per year.

"But you got the Yankees at home; we had to go to Yankee Stadium."

Besides, expanding inter-league just takes a sucky situation and makes it suckier.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-13-2010, 01:11 AM

Tampa had home-field advantage...:scratch:

mantis1212
10-13-2010, 05:33 PM
The interesting part of this idea to me is it actually de-values the current single wild-card spot, thus increasing the value of a winning the division title. This almost could make traditionalists happy in a way. I think I like it...

SOXSINCE'70
10-14-2010, 07:29 AM
So now what?
Should I look forward to a WS game on Christmas Day?

Please, Allan (a.k.a. Bud), stop yourself.

If MLB wants more playoff teams,reduce the schedule to 145-150
regular season games.

We know the owner's union will approve that, right???? :lol::lol:

johnnyg83
10-14-2010, 08:07 AM
I do not like this idea one bit.

Moses_Scurry
10-14-2010, 09:03 AM

Sorry. Yankees.

lpneck
10-14-2010, 10:39 AM
The interesting part of this idea to me is it actually de-values the current single wild-card spot, thus increasing the value of a winning the division title. This almost could make traditionalists happy in a way. I think I like it...

Yep.

The NFL used to have 4 teams in each conference, similar to what baseball does now. I don't like those setups because you essentially treat the wild card exactly like a division champ, which is the problem baseball has right now.

Eventually, they expanded to 5 teams per conference, and the two wild card teams played in the first round. There was a distinct advantage for being one of the three division champions. My opinion is that this was the best setup.

Eventually they went to 6 teams per conference, and three wild cards. As a result, one of the division champions gets treated like a wild card, which is the exact opposite problem that baseball has. (Now it's 4 divisions and two wild cards, and two of the division champs are treated as wild cards.)

sox1970
10-14-2010, 01:45 PM
I think there's some worry here that adding one team would extend the season longer than it already is. But it doesn't have to be.

Once again, my idea is that they should eliminate divisions, play a balanced schedule (or close to it. They could keep 18 interleague games), and send the top five teams to extra games. But really, that 4th and 5th team would be playing to get in. I wouldn't even say they are a playoff team until they actually won the series against each other.

What it would do is bring more teams into it for the opportunity to make the playoffs. That would help more teams play meaningful games later into September, which means more attendance and money.

From 1977-1993, the AL played, for all intents and purposes, a balanced schedule. You played your own division opponents 13 games, and your opposite division opponents 12 games each.

In 1991, if they had no divisions and 5 teams "made the playoffs", the final standings would have been:

1st Min 95-67; 2nd Tor 91-71; 3rd Sox 87-75

These teams would be in as the top 3, essentially division champs.

After 3rd place, it finished this way:

Tex 85-77
Bos 84-78
Det 84-78
Oak 84-78
Mil 83-79
Sea 83-79
KC 82-80
Cal 81-81

So Texas would have played one of Boston, Detroit, or Oakland, and that would be determined by tie-breakers (head-to-head records), not one game playoffs to make the season any longer.

But look at all of those extra teams that would have been playing meaningful games into September, and to the final weekend of the season.

And like I said, the 4th and 5th teams wouldn't be in yet. They could call it the "Play-In Series", and then once they win a best-of-3 at the 4th place team's park, they're in the playoffs.

And as far as extending the season longer, I think they should look at chopping off a week of the season, and play scheduled day/night doubleheaders. If each team had 3 per year, they could do it and get the playoffs with four teams left started the last weekend of September.

PKalltheway
10-14-2010, 03:40 PM
While I understand the opinion of people like you regarding the Wild Card, what do you have to say about some division winners that finish with a less than stellar record? Are they also-rans too? Just because the Yankees weren't good enough to finish in first ahead of Tampa Bay, does that make them inferior to the Texas Rangers, a team that benefitted from playing in a weak division this year?

I don't think there's an entirely perfect system of resolving this. To be completely honest (I know you'll disagree with me), I think the playoff format is completely fine the way it is right now.

ewokpelts
10-14-2010, 03:53 PM
balanced schedules are needed before more playoff teams. but mlb wants yankees/red sox, and that means we'll keep unbalanced schedules and add playoff teams