PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay

Brian26
10-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Do the networks have any legitimate stake in having instant replay implemented to a broader scale in coming seasons?

I've been watching the games on TBS and listening on ESPN radio, and it seems the announcers for every game have been given a memo to cram this down the viewer/listener's throat as much as possible.

downstairs
10-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Probably not much of a money stake, its not like MLB would pay them a ton of money because its their equipment.

I think its more of a general commentary on the game, which broadcasters are there to provide.

Also, instant replay will make the game better, and a better game means a better product for FOX, TBS, etc.

Lets face it... the last two years of playoffs... one of the main story lines has been terrible calls that easily could be reversed through replay. I'd prefer to sell a fair, exciting postseason over one filled with controversey that turns everyone off

Daver
10-09-2010, 08:39 PM
MLB will never embrace instant replay in the way the NFL has, if they did then at some point it would be pushed to balls and strikes, and taking that away from the umpires alters the game to something that is no longer baseball as we know it.

cub killer
10-09-2010, 10:00 PM
MLB will never embrace instant replay in the way the NFL has, if they did then at some point it would be pushed to balls and strikes,
You don't know that. No one does. The amount of IR used can be controlled.

Brian26
10-09-2010, 10:09 PM

Are you watching TBS and their Pitchtrax? They're certainly creating a subtle template for what Daver's talking about.

Daver
10-09-2010, 10:27 PM

And you don't know that it won't, despite the garbage BP puts out you can't prove speculation.

MLB has already laid the groundwork for robotic umpires, Questec is real, but so far they have avoided removing the human element from the game. When you remove the human element it is no longer a sport, and they may as well build robots to actually play.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2010, 10:56 PM
The Japanese many years ago already built a "robot" (for want of a better word) umpire.

It's a device that through laser technology judges if a pitch has crossed the parameters of the "strike zone", ( left to right, up to down) any part of the baseball to the nth degree.

If it does, it makes a sound if memory serves. I think it's a beep or a chime.

Lip

TDog
10-10-2010, 05:06 AM
MLB will never embrace instant replay in the way the NFL has, if they did then at some point it would be pushed to balls and strikes, and taking that away from the umpires alters the game to something that is no longer baseball as we know it.

Two things.

First, I was confused with some of the comments in this thread until I figured out IR stands for instant replay and not infrared.

Second, the NFL doesn't embrace instant replay. If they did, they wouldn't require plays to be challenged by the team victimized by the bad call and limit the number of challenges a team can make. Run out of challenges? You can't do nothing about a bad call? And maybe you think a call is bad but you don't challenge because you're afraid to run out of challenges.

Embracing instant replay would mean having a second set of officials going over every call, sustaining or rejecting each. It doesn't slow down the game because it would limit arguments. It is out of the field umpires' hands.

kingpin_rcs
10-10-2010, 11:02 AM
The Japanese many years ago already built a "robot" (for want of a better word) umpire.

It's a device that through laser technology judges if a pitch has crossed the parameters of the "strike zone", ( left to right, up to down) any part of the baseball to the nth degree.

If it does, it makes a sound if memory serves. I think it's a beep or a chime.

Lip

An idea that I had was to have a device like this but only the plate umpire would be able to hear the beep (through and earpiece or a buzzer or something). It would simply be an aid for the umpire but I can see problems with this. For example, if the announcers were privy to what the machine saw but the umpire called it differently for some reason.

kingpin_rcs
10-10-2010, 11:07 AM
The networks should fit tiny cameras on each of the umpires hats. That way if there is a close call they could bring up the angle from the closest umpires camera and get a good (though not exact) idea of the angle he had and exactly how he saw it. It could sometimes help explain a questionable call if we are able to see the play from the same angle that the umpire did.