PDA

View Full Version : Steve Perry: "The White Sox used it, and the Dodgers used it ..."

TDog
10-09-2010, 02:27 PM
While I was in the car Friday morning, avid San Francisco Giants fan Steve Perry was on the radio talking about his baseball anthem, which many White Sox fans consider their own. He attends Giants games, having fallen in love with baseball and the Giants while attending his first baseball game in 2002. He said that this season when he went to see the Giants in Los Angeles, he had to leave before the eighth inning so people didn't try to get him involved in their plea to don't stop believing.

The only reference to the White Sox in the interview were at the end when he was asked about how he feels about non-Giants uses of his song (which, really has nothing to do with baseball). "Yeah, the White Sox used it and the Dodgers used it ...." He added that he doesn't get a penny from such uses.

If memory serves, two of the three White Sox players who got behind the song were ex-Giant A.J. Pierzynski and future-Giant Aaron Rowand. I also remember Steve Perry being a little bit more involved with the 2005 White Sox than he now admits, although that involvement may have been distorted.

I don't mean to be anti-Giants here. Actually, I like the Giants. They remind me a lot of the White Sox, not the 2005 White Sox as much as an amalgam of the White Sox teams from 2005 on. Thursday night, the Giants played like the 2005 White Sox. Friday night, they played like the 2010 White Sox.

TornLabrum
10-09-2010, 02:46 PM
The song sucks and iirc the whole thing started as a kind of a joke in a karaoke bar, so I really don't care what he has to say.

asindc
10-09-2010, 03:01 PM
While I was in the car Friday morning, avid San Francisco Giants fan Steve Perry was on the radio talking about his baseball anthem, which many White Sox fans consider their own. He attends Giants games, having fallen in love with baseball and the Giants while attending his first baseball game in 2002. He said that this season when he went to see the Giants in Los Angeles, he had to leave before the eighth inning so people didn't try to get him involved in their plea to don't stop believing.

The only reference to the White Sox in the interview were at the end when he was asked about how he feels about non-Giants uses of his song (which, really has nothing to do with baseball). "Yeah, the White Sox used it and the Dodgers used it ...." He added that he doesn't get a penny from such uses.

If memory serves, two of the three White Sox players who got behind the song were ex-Giant A.J. Pierzynski and future-Giant Aaron Rowand. I also remember Steve Perry being a little bit more involved with the 2005 White Sox than he now admits, although that involvement may have been distorted.

I don't mean to be anti-Giants here. Actually, I like the Giants. They remind me a lot of the White Sox, not the 2005 White Sox as much as an amalgam of the White Sox teams from 2005 on. Thursday night, the Giants played like the 2005 White Sox. Friday night, they played like the 2010 White Sox.

Actually, there are more relevant links between the song and the Sox. First of all, Jonathan Cain, the keyboardist for Journey, is a Chicago native and a Sox fan. Secondly, Perry actually sang the song with AJ and other Sox players at the victory parade, maybe at the urging of Cain and the Sox players. Perhaps Perry is downplaying it now because his Giants are in the middle of a playoff series and he was being interviewed on a SF radio station. Though I'm a Journey and Steve Perry fan, I actually take no offense to his revisionist history, though I don't know why he would expect royalties from any team's use of their songs.

StillMissOzzie
10-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Actually, there are more relevant links between the song and the Sox. First of all, Jonathan Cain, the keyboardist for Journey, is a Chicago native and a Sox fan. Secondly, Perry actually sang the song with AJ and other Sox players at the victory parade, maybe at the urging of Cain and the Sox players. Perhaps Perry is downplaying it now because his Giants are in the middle of a playoff series and he was being interviewed on a SF radio station. Though I'm a Journey and Steve Perry fan, I actually take no offense to his revisionist history, though I don't know why he would expect royalties from any team's use of their songs.

Semi-hijack:
Jonathon Cain is also a survivor of the horrible Our Lady of the Angels school fire back in 1958

SMO

rdwj
10-09-2010, 03:23 PM
The song sucks and iirc the whole thing started as a kind of a joke in a karaoke bar, so I really don't care what he has to say.

If by "sucks" you mean awesome - I agree completely

TDog
10-09-2010, 03:33 PM
... I actually take no offense to his revisionist history, though I don't know why he would expect royalties from any team's use of their songs.

It is the revisionist history I'm questioning. It doesn't offend me, but revisionist history inspires me to shake my head. Steve Perry attends Giants games and leads fans in a condensed version of the song. I have no question he is a Giants fan. I just thought he was very public in following the White Sox in the 2005 postseason run.

The royalties comment was out of context by me. It was in response to a question, not an independent complaint. Most things the ballplayers and management (especially Ozzie Guillen) say that irritate people are not things they consider important enough to tell people, but offhand, not well thought-out responses to sometimes stupid questions. I know this and I should have put the royalties reference by Steve Perry in its proper context.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Well, Perry looked very happy to be up there singing at the parade in 2005. I assume that whatever rules applied or didn't apply re: licensing -- these are notoriously complex -- are the same for other uses or perfomances of the song. Maybe the band (which he's no longer in, correct?) owns the rights, or maybe it's old-school management or record-company stuff and somebody else does. Either way, if he wanted a fee to appear I suppose he could have asked for one. I doubt that he did.

I've no problems with any of it. The band is legitimately associated with San Fran, and Perry can be a fan of whomever he likes.

Edit: Just saw TDog's clarification. I figured as much on the royalties thing -- someone asked him, the way they do.

LongLiveFisk
10-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Well, Perry looked very happy to be up there singing at the parade in 2005. I assume that whatever rules applied or didn't apply re: licensing -- these are notoriously complex -- are the same for other uses or perfomances of the song. Maybe the band (which he's no longer in, correct?) owns the rights, or maybe it's old-school management or record-company stuff and somebody else does. Either way, if he wanted a fee to appear I suppose he could have asked for one. I doubt that he did.

I've no problems with any of it. The band is legitimately associated with San Fran, and Perry can be a fan of whomever he likes.

Edit: Just saw TDog's clarification. I figured as much on the royalties thing -- someone asked him, the way they do.

Correct, Steve is out of the band, but I would think he has some rights to the song's usage, given that he co-wrote the song with Cain and Neal Schon. Still, I don't understand all the legalities involved so who knows?

All I can say is that growing up a huge Journey/Steve Perry fan and a huge White Sox fan, those two entities coming together in 2005 was totally amazing and surreal to me. And hey, like the song or not, it is obviously meant to inspire lyrically, so if it helped the team during the '05 playoff run, more power to them and we sure as hell shouldn't have any problem with it. :smile:

downstairs
10-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I guaruntee he gets royalties from the song, unless through some bizarre deal in the 1980s he sold of or got screwed out of publishing rights.

When you play a song on a jukebox in your local bar, that band absolutely makes money. ASCAP polices this like crazy, and bars have been sued/prohibited from playing music for not conforming.

Heck... if you have a live band COVER songs, the bar is responsible for paying royalties.

Now... its more of a blanket fee to play "all ASCAP songs whenever you want"... they don't count up individual songs (well, they kinda do, but its a real complicated formula)

Either way, he does get paid when it plays.

slavko
10-09-2010, 09:39 PM
He used us to get some pub for his washed up career and washed up band. Not that that's a bad thing.

I just heard the song at a wedding. Somebody's getting royalties.

asindc
10-09-2010, 10:45 PM
I guaruntee he gets royalties from the song, unless through some bizarre deal in the 1980s he sold of or got screwed out of publishing rights.

When you play a song on a jukebox in your local bar, that band absolutely makes money. ASCAP polices this like crazy, and bars have been sued/prohibited from playing music for not conforming.

Heck... if you have a live band COVER songs, the bar is responsible for paying royalties.

Now... its more of a blanket fee to play "all ASCAP songs whenever you want"... they don't count up individual songs (well, they kinda do, but its a real complicated formula)

Either way, he does get paid when it plays.

The question isn't whether they are getting royalties in general (they are), but whether they are getting royalties for having the song played at sporting events. This might explain to some extent:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties7.htm

Note that sporting arenas and stadiums are not specifically mentioned in the article, but I would think that they fall in the category of venues that are not surveyed but pay a flat fee. To the extent that Journey is not collecting royalties for the playing of their songs at sporting events (not just in Chicago and LA), I would like to hear him elaborate on that, just out of curiosity.

jackbrohamer
10-11-2010, 10:58 AM
This part is really unbelievable:

"... having fallen in love with baseball and the Giants while attending his first baseball game in 2002."

He never went to a baseball game until after he was 50 years old? Foghorn Leghorn was right.

Oblong
10-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Perry is involved in ownership somehow because he was one of a handful of people that knew the ending of the Sopanos. They needed his permission to use it and he only agreed once he knew nobody would get killed during it. So they had to tell him the details.

Ranger
10-11-2010, 01:15 PM

In 2006, one of the Sox PR guys played for me a voicemail he had on his phone from Perry who was asking for tickets to a game. He was going to be in town or something and wanted to go.

#1swisher
10-12-2010, 04:17 PM
TDog,

Here's a vid on youtube, Perry being interviewed Oct. 27th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPxX0VwHu-I

Parade video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=504B3iR5M_8

Good memories :gulp:

hawkjt
10-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Never was a Journy fan,but will forever cherish that song after 2005.
I am rooting for the Giants,so I hope they ride the karma to a ring.
Giants-Texas world series works for me.

Giants have been my fav NL team since I saw Willie Mays in an exhibition game vs the Twins in Metropolitian Stadium in the mid-60's. Harmon Killibrew and Mays had a home run hitting contest before the game. One of Willie's homers tipped off of my hand....Go Giants.