PDA

View Full Version : Cubs add a fifth pricing tier to games

DumpJerry
10-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Imagine if Sox season ticket holders got a letter like this (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/10/ricketts-letter-to-cubs-season-ticket-holders.html) one. WSI would melt down. While is sounds like their ST invoices are the same as last year, there is a lot of fertilizer in this letter. They really gloss over the stadium renovations......

soltrain21
10-08-2010, 05:34 PM
I can't wait to see how the Cubs do in 2001. Nice typo, RICKETTS.

Brian26
10-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Imagine if Sox season ticket holders got a letter like this (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/10/ricketts-letter-to-cubs-season-ticket-holders.html) one. WSI would melt down.

Yeah, I'd be pissed if Reinsdorf ever sent out a letter as condescending as that.

To set our pricing in 2011, we examined approximately 5 million transactions from our primary and secondary ticket markets from 2005 through 2010.

Nice. Wow.

Cutting through it all, the net result for our season ticket holders is that some will see a slight (in all cases, less than 3%) increase, others will see a reduction as much as 6% and some will see virtually no change at all.

"Cutting through it all". Nice way to talk down to your fanbase.

TDog
10-08-2010, 09:07 PM
The Cubs have primary and secondary ticket markets? What do they do, scalp their own tickets?

doublem23
10-08-2010, 09:14 PM
The Cubs have primary and secondary ticket markets? What do they do, scalp their own tickets?

Yeah, this has been well known for what? 10 years?

DumpJerry
10-08-2010, 10:45 PM
They own a ticket brokerage which buys their own tickets and the re-sells them at a higher price. Whenever I talk with Cub fans about it, they defend it. Yes, you read that correctly, they DEFEND GETTING SCREWED. This is a strong sign that someone is a victim of domestic abuse at the hands of someone they trust and love.

I would say imagine how White Sox would react if the Good Guys did that, but I think we would react the same as the fans of all 29 MLB teams not named "Ciubs."

Rdy2PlayBall
10-08-2010, 10:59 PM
They own a ticket brokerage which buys their own tickets and the re-sells them at a higher price. Whenever I talk with Cub fans about it, they defend it. Yes, you read that correctly, they DEFEND GETTING SCREWED. This is a strong sign that someone is a victim of domestic abuse at the hands of someone they trust and love.

I would say imagine how White Sox would react if the Good Guys did that, but I think we would react the same as the fans of all 29 MLB teams not named "Ciubs."That's not... illegal? Sound like it should be.

Hitmen77
10-08-2010, 11:56 PM
That's not... illegal? Sound like it should be.

I believe the Cubs were sued over the legality of this and the Tribune Co. won the case.

C-Dawg
10-09-2010, 08:50 AM
"To this end, we will continue the policy of keeping many of our tickets in the sub $10 range--in fact, we will offer a substantial increase in sub-$10 tickets next year compared to 2010.
In addition, we are increasing the number of bronze games (our lowest ticket pricing tier) from 6 games in 2010 to 15 games in the bleachers and 11 games in the grandstand in 2011. As a result, there will be 77% more tickets priced at $20 or less in 2011 than there were in 2010. Stated differently, a total of more than 550,000 tickets will be available for $20 or less next year."

What Cub tickets are less than $10 (or $20 for that matter)?

My Mom wanted to go to a Cub game this year, so I thought I'd surprise her with tickets. I tried to order online but even on the games which still had the "buy tickets" icon, it would pop up as "unavailable" when I tried to buy them. After trying several dates, I called the Cubs 800 number, and their suggestion was to try Premium Tickets, but when I called them everything was way over face value! Eventually I bought a pair on Stubhub at a great discount.

Premium Tickets is in my opinion just their way of fleecing their fans for more money.

nccwsfan
10-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Not only is it legal, MLB has an official partner of the secondary ticket market called StubHub. What the Cubs were doing 10 years ago was an outrage at the time, but now it's commonplace for those wanting tickets.

The tone of the Cubs letter was probably not the nicest, but they're adjusting the market value for their tickets based on how much people paid for face value and secondary (Cubs agency and StubHub). Sorry but I don't see an issue with this- at the end of the day Cubs fans and STH holders will decide if the new market value is the correct one.

The secondary ticket market is being used and endorsed by all 30 MLB teams (all 4 major sports leagues for that matter). It's time we adapt to this.

Red Barchetta
10-09-2010, 10:10 AM
It still amazes me that during the Tribune ownership tenure, Wrigley Field went from being an old, out of date ballpark to the "most beautiful ballpark in the world". You can't spend enough on good marketing! :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
10-09-2010, 10:18 AM
The ticket brokers lobbied Springfield to change Illinois law regarding the re-sale of tickets. They convinced the legislators to make it legal to re-sell tickets at any price in Illinois so long as the transaction does not occur on the property of the team whose tickets are being re-sold (at the stadium or arena). This is why you see police with citation books on the sidewalk on 35th Street west of Wentworth-that is Sox property.

CLUBHOUSE KID
10-09-2010, 11:48 AM
The ticket brokers lobbied Springfield to change Illinois law regarding the re-sale of tickets. They convinced the legislators to make it legal to re-sell tickets at any price in Illinois so long as the transaction does not occur on the property of the team whose tickets are being re-sold (at the stadium or arena). This is why you see police with citation books on the sidewalk on 35th Street west of Wentworth-that is Sox property.

And you need a license. In my sports mgmt class we spoke about this because the teacher has Cubs season tickets but he is funny because he bashes them and all that lol Anyway you CANNOT company Stubhub to this because this is team run where as stubhub as a deal with the MLB just like ticketmaster used to have the ticketexchange and still does for the Bulls. The reason why this is not illegal is because the Cubs state that the Premium Tickets or whatever it is called is still seperate to some degree from the team itself. I know odd but that is how they can do it. This brokerage is different than others because it is some-what team affiliated where as others actually say we are not affiliated with any team, box office, venue, or ticketmatser. Lastly, Stubhub is NOT a brokerage it just lets brokers and even fans sell on the site. Stubhub does not own any of the tickets it is just a market place. It is cheaper to go through the actual broker listing the seats than buying the same ones via Stubhub.

ewokpelts
10-10-2010, 05:44 PM
You do NOT need a broker license to sell tickets ONLINE in the stat eof illinois. So Ebay, Stubhub, and other resale sites are in the clear.

HOWEVER, the city of chicago MAY ask you to pay any amusement tax on tickets YOU sell.

CLUBHOUSE KID
10-11-2010, 04:26 PM
You do NOT need a broker license to sell tickets ONLINE in the stat eof illinois. So Ebay, Stubhub, and other resale sites are in the clear.

HOWEVER, the city of chicago MAY ask you to pay any amusement tax on tickets YOU sell.

The first part is true. I do not think if I sell tickets on Stubhun the city would tax me because that tax is included in the price of the face value on the tickets. I know eBay/Stubhub charges you to sell on their site, however.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-11-2010, 04:38 PM
The new pricing must pay for new concrete catching netting.

DumpJerry
10-11-2010, 05:40 PM
The first part is true. I do not think if I sell tickets on Stubhun the city would tax me because that tax is included in the price of the face value on the tickets. I know eBay/Stubhub charges you to sell on their site, however.
You might want to read the fine print on StubHub. They may report any sales of tickets for events in Chicago sold over face value identifying the seller so the City can attempt to collect. The StubHub fee has nothing to do with any taxes the City chooses to collect. The City ordinance states that a seller is liable for the tax if the ticket is re-sold over face for the amount over face it is sold. When you bought the ticket, you only paid the tax based on the face value.

TDog
10-11-2010, 06:57 PM

I would say imagine how White Sox would react if the Good Guys did that, but I think we would react the same as the fans of all 29 MLB teams not named "Ciubs."

It's funny because it's true.

CLUBHOUSE KID
10-11-2010, 09:52 PM
You might want to read the fine print on StubHub. They may report any sales of tickets for events in Chicago sold over face value identifying the seller so the City can attempt to collect. The StubHub fee has nothing to do with any taxes the City chooses to collect. The City ordinance states that a seller is liable for the tax if the ticket is re-sold over face for the amount over face it is sold. When you bought the ticket, you only paid the tax based on the face value.

Well then that's new. I don't care I guess I never use it.

fox23
10-12-2010, 07:25 AM

No it isn't; it has always been that way. It is that Illinois simply doesn't enforce the collection of sales tax on the resale of tickets. It is the same way that technically when you purchase something out of state or online through a sales tax free site, you owe a use tax to Illinois. However, nobody actually is going to bother filling out the form and paying it since the state never enforces it.

DumpJerry
10-12-2010, 07:37 AM
It's been in place for a few years. It isn't really "fine print" in that it is not noticeable. They post a message when you post the tickets are for sale that is hard to miss.

CLUBHOUSE KID
10-13-2010, 08:10 PM
It's been in place for a few years. It isn't really "fine print" in that it is not noticeable. They post a message when you post the tickets are for sale that is hard to miss.

Thanks. I just thought the "amusement" tax is new. I recall reading the paper late 2008, early 2009 that talked about it being started.

DumpJerry
10-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks. I just thought the "amusement" tax is new. I recall reading the paper late 2008, early 2009 that talked about it being started.
It's been around for decades. It was increased a couple of years ago in conjunction with the City of Chicago taking a more aggressive approach to collecting it.

Brian26
10-13-2010, 11:11 PM

That and commas.

Lundind1
10-16-2010, 09:50 AM

I don't think that it is the scondary market that Rdy is questioning the legality of, it is the fact that the team takes tickets from their fans before anyone gets a crack at them, and then turns around and re-sells them. I have an issue with that seeing as how they can manipulate the product to their own liking. I see it as a very unfair insider trade practice.

DumpJerry
10-16-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't think that it is the scondary market that Rdy is questioning the legality of, it is the fact that the team takes tickets from their fans before anyone gets a crack at them, and then turns around and re-sells them. I have an issue with that seeing as how they can manipulate the product to their own liking. I see it as a very unfair insider trade practice."
It's their product, they can do what they want with it. How is this a "unfair insider trade practice?" Everyone knows Cub when and where Cub tickets go on sale.

doublem23
10-16-2010, 12:33 PM
I don't think that it is the scondary market that Rdy is questioning the legality of, it is the fact that the team takes tickets from their fans before anyone gets a crack at them, and then turns around and re-sells them. I have an issue with that seeing as how they can manipulate the product to their own liking. I see it as a very unfair insider trade practice.

I'm sure what Ricketts was referring to by "secondary markets" was Stubhub transactions. It's just poor wording considering the Cubs have been known to scalp their own tickets for the past several years.

soxfanreggie
10-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Do the Cubs own their own concession venues? When they mention adding new food options as part of the $10 million investment, I guess they were adding some new booths and stands? I would have thought that was all contracted out to a company that paid the Cubs for the rights to the stands. Maybe the Cubs own their own or are responsible for adding new food venues?

As far as their tickets, I'm guessing that a lot of the $10-20 tickets are ones that get bought up in bulk and sold in the secondary market? I rarely see Cubs tickets in this "affordable" range.

I just can't wait to buy Sox tickets for next season. Being two hours away will prevent me from going to games often, but I still look forward to taking a few afternoons off or heading up early for a night game. Hopefully my friend in sports media will be able to come up with a few free tickets for me.