PDA

View Full Version : Astros to install Texas sized HD board

Fenway
10-08-2010, 01:24 PM
http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4751:astros-to-install-massive-hd-video-display-premium-seating-for-2011&catid=41:facility-news&Itemid=56

LoveYourSuit
10-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Man, our equipment at the ballpark looks more outdated than ever.

GoSox2K3
10-08-2010, 01:52 PM

Agreed. Not counting the Cubs (who I'm not counting in comparison because they're just anti-jumbotron), our scoreboard quality must be near the bottom of the league.

The center board is rather small by today's standards and it's mostly just for cute graphics and videos (no game stats). Most of our game info is stuck on the black & white board that is obstructed from view at a number of seats....with other batter and pitcher info squeezed in at the top and bottom of the out of town scoreboard.

soltrain21
10-08-2010, 01:54 PM

Our scoreboard is a joke now. Hell, you can't even see it if you sit in RF.

downstairs
10-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Total threadjack here, but Charlotte Motor Speedway is installing an even larger (it'll be the largest in all of sports, if not the world) screen next year. I venture down there for the Coca Cola 600, and I'm excited to see it.

It actually makes more sense in NASCAR, where you have miles and miles of track to follow. Can't wait to see what it looks like!

soxfanreggie
10-08-2010, 02:18 PM
I wonder how much they sell the old boards for. A university could save a ton by buying an old board.

g0g0
10-08-2010, 02:38 PM
I actually like smaller scoreboards. They have them enough places that you can get the count, etc. I don't want a huge board dominating the field of play. But then again, AJ could see how his hair looks easier.

ChicagoRushFan
10-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Milwaukee is replacing their board also.

http://dailyreporter.com/files/2010/07/miller-park.gif

The ones in Arizona and Kansas City are huge also.

Hitmen77
10-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Our scoreboard is a joke now. Hell, you can't even see it if you sit in RF.

Agreed. Comiskey Park was once known for its monster scoreboard, but our current scoreboard looks very unimpressive.

I know in the past some have said that the Sox don't want to give up ad space for a bigger screen. But there's alot of blank, unused space between the center scoreboard and the surrounding ads. If you look at new boards in other parks, it's all screen all the way to the edge.

I actually like smaller scoreboards. They have them enough places that you can get the count, etc. I don't want a huge board dominating the field of play. But then again, AJ could see how his hair looks easier.

It's not just the size of the screen (though i'd like to see one larger screen at the Cell). It's the haphazard way they're used at the Cell too.

The center screen is visible from just about everywhere, but it's used mostly for trivial stats (how many HRs did this hitter have in 2003!) or birthday/anniversary messages. This one is mostly useless except for pre-game and in-between inning videos. The LF screen is where most of the actual game info is displayed, but view of this is blocked at many seats in the park...and it's just a low-tech screen (no video, can't fit much in there because there's not enough room for the low-res text).

The "out of town" board in RF is the newest. They include hitter and pitcher stats above and below the out of town scores. The rest of the hitters stats are found on the ribbon board just below the fan deck and then some more hitter stats (maybe) on the B&W board. So the information is scattered about. From some seats, you can even see the line score of the current game because view the LF board is blocked.

The Sox have ribbon boards along the facade of the club seats, but this is zero % game data. Sometimes, the only place I can actually see the score, inning, balls/strikes/outs is to look way up at the little corner text board up by the Stadium Club.

The overall effect is really subpar. If you see the scoreboard they have at places like Arizona and Anaheim, it really puts the boards at the Cell to shame. I haven't seen every park, but I have to wonder if the Cell's scoreboard is the worst (or near the worst) out of the 29 that employ video technology. (like someone said, you really can't compare to Wrigley since they're going for something totally different).

DumpJerry
10-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Say what you want about the scoreboards at Comiskey. I've never had someone say they will not go to a game there because of the scoreboards. So, where is the incentive to spend $$ on a new one?

Fenway
10-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Fenway is getting a bigger board as well

http://www.bostonherald.com/galleries/index.php?gallery_id=4075

Foulke You
10-08-2010, 06:20 PM
The Sox are paying the price for being an "early adopter" as far as technology goes. They were one of the first teams in MLB to add an HD board back in 2003 and at the time it was the biggest one in the league. I'm sure the price was at a premium back then too so the Sox might wait a few more years before replacing it.

I don't loathe the current set up but I agree that I miss the main score info being displayed on the CF scoreboard. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they replaced the whole scoreboard down the road with a larger one that has the same classic pinwheel design. One with colorful LEDs on the pinwheels instead of light bulbs and a larger HD screen that can fit more information. This would also help the scoreboard loom over the field like the Old Comiskey Park had. Just my .02

LoveYourSuit
10-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Say what you want about the scoreboards at Comiskey. I've never had someone say they will not go to a game there because of the scoreboards. So, where is the incentive to spend $$ on a new one?

I don't know, but 20 other teams feel like it's important to keep upgrading them. So there has to be some sort of incentive. Maybe advertisement time in between innings like commercials?

Rdy2PlayBall
10-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't think we need a bigger board to see that Brent Lillibridge's recent averages rarely break .200. Maybe if they actually showed replays and clips from games around the league it would be worth it... but the Sox do nothing special with their scoreboard.

I don't think there is much they can do about the screen though... if they made it bigger, it would be behind the fan deck. They would have to raise the whole scoreboard, or just make the screen wider than it already is. I think it would be really nice if they made all of the huge advertisement boards screens though. I like the classic-looking light up board though (you know, just the thousands of yellow bulbs that show the scores), I don't want that taken down for a big screen. I really like our park, I don't understand why it's considered one of the lesser parks in baseball. (by some)

nccwsfan
10-08-2010, 11:39 PM
The overall effect is really subpar. If you see the scoreboard they have at places like Arizona and Anaheim, it really puts the boards at the Cell to shame. I haven't seen every park, but I have to wonder if the Cell's scoreboard is the worst (or near the worst) out of the 29 that employ video technology. (like someone said, you really can't compare to Wrigley since they're going for something totally different).

It's all subjective, but the worst hands down is at Comerica Park in Detroit- our scoreboard technology puts theirs to shame. Their television board is embarrassing for a board that size.

It's ironic that with all of the fantastic renovations done to US Cellular that the one item 'left behind' was the scoreboard- for decades it seemed that the White Sox were at the cutting edge of scoreboard technology. Now we are at or near the very bottom of the curve. Personally I'll take all of the other renovations they did over an enhanced scoreboard, but yes there is plenty of room for future improvement.

Fenway
10-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Why we need bigger scoreboards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNAzR8y1b9A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G

downstairs
10-09-2010, 07:45 PM

While I doubt technically any person has ever said "I'm not going to US Cellular until they get a scoreboard I like"... the ballpark experience as a whole absolutely goes to the bottom line. The scoreboard is a small part of this.

I wouldn't avoid the cel if they sold crappy kosher dogs, but the food selection- along with many other things- is the reason I love (and miss) the cel.

I'll even go as far as saying the ballpark food at the cel is nearly the #1 thing I miss about Chicago. And when I lived there, it was one of the main reasons I'd go to a meaningless game when the Sox were out of it.

Viva Medias B's
10-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Our CF video board could use an upgrade. Perhaps they could turn it into a digital board like the ones at Joe Robbie Stadium (or whatever it's called now). Although JRS itself is crappy as a baseball stadium, its digital scoreboards impressed me a lot.

GoSox2K3
10-10-2010, 12:05 AM

That sounds like the standard line of thinking about pre-renovation "new Comiskey" and why it's generic design was perfectly fine. Green seats? Nobody refuses to go to games because of the seat colors. Decor in the concourses? No statues? etc. It's all about a better game experience.

I agree that having a bigger video board is mostly a luxury, but I still think their current set up where the actual game info (R-H-E, line score) is not viewable from a number of seats is not acceptable.

johnnyg83
10-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Anybody know the name of the company providing them (Houston and Boston)? Daktronics out of South Dakota perhaps?

Red Barchetta
10-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I think the SOX should change the outfield concourse billboards to electronic/digital billboards. I would think that would allow mutliple advertising revenues instead of one line of income per season, per sponsor.

A new, larger, full size CF HD Videoscreen would be nice as well as new digital scoreboards in LCF, similar to the HD digital screens installed in RCF last year.

Fenway
10-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Anybody know the name of the company providing them (Houston and Boston)? Daktronics out of South Dakota perhaps?

The current Boston board is Daktronics but I have heard a Hong Kong company Lighthouse could be involved. They have boards at the Rose Bowl, AA Arena in Dallas and AAA Pawtucket. The Pawsox board is stunning.