PDA

View Full Version : Wendelstedt finally being exposed

Irishsox1
10-08-2010, 11:26 AM
There has been a lot of talk about bad calls by umps, but the one ump whom time after time has shown to be the most inconsistent and inaccurate umpire has got to be Hunter Wendelstedt. To Sox fans that can recall the infamous Crede hit by pitch when Wendestedt called Crede back into the batters box, this guy is a horrible umpire and from the sound of it, a jerk. Hopefully MLB will finally wake up to this clown and send him down to the minors.

Linky (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AqXO.Df6Q.2znw_uc.NGvfsRvLYF?slug=jp-twinsyankeesumpires100710)

Grid showing his calls in Game Two, Green means called ball, Red means called strike. (http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/zoneplot.php-pitchSel=all%26game=gid_2010_10_07_nyamlb_minmlb_1 %26sp_type=1%26s_type=7.gif)

Lip Man 1
10-08-2010, 11:31 AM
You mean right after Joe West, right?

Lip

thomas35forever
10-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Regardless of what you think of the Twins, you can't deny that he ****ed up what should have been a called third strike call. Also, as much as everyone gets on Hawk's case for complaining about umps, this is exactly why he does it. When is Selig going to wake up and get some umps who know how to do their damn jobs properly? Uncle Bud can't step down soon enough. He's an incompetent fool like most other authority figures in MLB.

kobo
10-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Until MLB starts holding umpires accountable this will continue.

DumpJerry
10-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Regardless of what you think of the Twins, you can't deny that he ****ed up what should have been a called third strike call. Also, as much as everyone gets on Hawk's case for complaining about umps, this is exactly why he does it. When is Selig going to wake up and get some umps who know how to do their damn jobs properly? Uncle Bud can't step down soon enough. He's an incompetent fool like most other authority figures in MLB.
The Ump's union will let him know. These is the same organization that negotiated vacation time for umps in September necessitating the calling up of minor league umps during hot division races. Umps don't work 12 months a year, why do they need a vacation in September of all months?

doublem23
10-08-2010, 11:47 AM
The Ump's union will let him know. These is the same organization that negotiated vacation time for umps in September necessitating the calling up of minor league umps during hot division races. Umps don't work 12 months a year, why do they need a vacation in September of all months?

The umps don't have a union anymore, I thought. Or if they did, it's totallt spineless now.

Anyway, considering the way these "unioned" umpires perform, I'd happily clap if Selig threw them all out and brought in some guys that, oh, I don't know, weren't incompetent.

PaleHoser
10-08-2010, 12:01 PM
The umps don't have a union anymore

Not true. They have the World Umpire Association. I believe Joe West is President (I'm not joking).

Hunter Wendelstedt is a punk, who's simply getting by on his father's name alone.

tebman
10-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I wonder if anybody in the MLB office lurks on sites like WSI. We know they read the papers and listen to the broadcast guys. They have to know they've got a game-integrity problem with umpires who are careless and truculent.

It's easy to blame Selig, and I'm happy to do that, but who in the MLB office actually is responsible for umpire assignments and their continued employment? Few things raise my ire as much as blown calls by self-important umpires, and it's intolerable when it happens in the postseason.

These incompetent martinets have no business being on a baseball field, let alone making game-changing decisions.

tacosalbarojas
10-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Not true. They have the World Umpire Association. I believe Joe West is President (I'm not joking).

Hunter Wendelstedt is a punk, who's simply getting by on his father's name alone.
Exactly. If his daddy wasn't Harry, he's a ditch digger.

JB98
10-08-2010, 12:39 PM
The umpiring generally sucks in MLB, but for some reason, it seems to get worse in the postseason. How is that possible? Aren't only the best umpires allowed to work the playoff games? You'd never know it.

In two days, I've already seen a host of bad calls, and they've been game-changers in more than one case.

soxfanreggie
10-08-2010, 12:57 PM
The umpiring generally sucks in MLB, but for some reason, it seems to get worse in the postseason. How is that possible? Aren't only the best umpires allowed to work the playoff games? You'd never know it.

In two days, I've already seen a host of bad calls, and they've been game-changers in more than one case.

Not only that but they also have more umpires. Too bad none of the ones in Tampa could get that check swing strike call right for the Rays.

DumpJerry
10-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Not only that but they also have more umpires. Too bad none of the ones in Tampa could get that check swing strike call right for the Rays.
On The Score this morning, they said that nobody could find in the Rule Book any rules defining what constitutes a check swing. Can this be true? Is it up the subjective feeling of the Ump?

doublem23
10-08-2010, 01:18 PM
On The Score this morning, they said that nobody could find in the Rule Book any rules defining what constitutes a check swing. Can this be true? Is it up the subjective feeling of the Ump?

Yes

I thought the same thing until recently, that there had to be an actual definition of when a swing was a swing and when it was a check, but the rule book literally never addresses the issue. It only says if the ump thinks you went, you went and if he thinks you didn't, you didn't. The old adage about the bat having to cross the plate or whatever is an old wives' tale.

hawkjt
10-08-2010, 01:46 PM
I thought Berkman's postgame comment was interesting. He said that the whole game that Wendelstat was not giving the inside corner to the pitchers but was giving a couple of inches outside to the pitchers.

So, in theory, he was consistent. But, sorry, Wendelstat, time to be correct,not consistent.

This is why Hawk complains about pitchers not being allowed to pitch inside anymore and how that has hurt the game. If the umps refuse to call the inside strike, more guys will hang over the plate,get hit,and cause problems.

downstairs
10-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Woah, there's one called ball that is dead in the middle of that zone. I'd be curious to see that pitch.

I generally find arguing or even discussing balls and strikes to be frivilous, but if that graph is anywhere near accurate... wow!

The one thing that makes me a tiny bit suspicious is the strike zone in the graph is a square, and technically should be a rectangle- longer top to bottom, shorter side to side.

Still there's that one green (ball) call that stands out to me.

downstairs
10-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Yes

I thought the same thing until recently, that there had to be an actual definition of when a swing was a swing and when it was a check, but the rule book literally never addresses the issue. It only says if the ump thinks you went, you went and if he thinks you didn't, you didn't. The old adage about the bat having to cross the plate or whatever is an old wives' tale.

The last time I played baseball it was little league in the 1980's, so this is probably irrelevant... however I always remembered it had to do with "breaking the wrist". I'm sure our little town's little league did things differently and less consistently than a multi-billion dollar MLB. But still- I remember that phrase.

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2010, 02:07 PM
The last time I played baseball it was little league in the 1980's, so this is probably irrelevant... however I always remembered it had to do with "breaking the wrist". I'm sure our little town's little league did things differently and less consistently than a multi-billion dollar MLB. But still- I remember that phrase.There are all sorts of opinions about what a checked swing is (breaking the wrists, bat going through the hitting zone, intent to swing, etc.) but no rule.

Irishsox1
10-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Yes, Joe West is one of the handful of horrible umps out there, but Wendelstedt has shown time after time to be very inconsistent with his strike zone, a total jerk and quick to throw managers out of games. It's the inconsistancy of his strike zone that's cause for him to be questioned.

Domeshot17
10-08-2010, 04:14 PM
The mlb has a problem with the Umps, but Hawk still needs to shut the **** up about them. I promise you Bud Selig could not possibly care less what Hawk thinks of the umps, and I would bet anything that Bud also has more important things to do than lurk WSI.

DumpJerry
10-08-2010, 04:29 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0619/page2_a_pappas1_300.jpg
Listen, umps never make mistakes. Never.

Bob Roarman
10-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Woah, there's one called ball that is dead in the middle of that zone. I'd be curious to see that pitch.

I generally find arguing or even discussing balls and strikes to be frivilous, but if that graph is anywhere near accurate... wow!

The one thing that makes me a tiny bit suspicious is the strike zone in the graph is a square, and technically should be a rectangle- longer top to bottom, shorter side to side.

Still there's that one green (ball) call that stands out to me.

That one was a cutter to Jeter.

johnnyg83
10-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I understand that you'll have bad umps, but how the **** does he get picked for the postseason? The players should vote on that.

TDog
10-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes

The check swing has always been a "casebook" issue, the same as a tie going to the runner. The rule book doesn't address the runner and ball getting to first base at the same time.

When I was growing up, a swing was a check swing if a batter didn't break his wrists, turn them over in the course of a swing. About four decades ago, an MLB rule, separate from the official baseball rules, was adopted to allow a catcher to ask for the first- or third-base umpire if a batter offered at a pitch ruled a ball. The reasoning was that the umpires down the line had a better perspective as to whether a hitter broke his wrists.

There is a rule in the rule book (believe it or not) that allows an umpire to make an interpretation that fills in the gaps of any rules that do not exist. The check swing seems to be one such case as the rule book addresses intent in this area more than action, as you noted. Some umpires in the early 1970s started calling swings, not on the broken-wrist standard, but on whether the bat crossed more than half the plate. That standard seems to have taken hold, but umpires still continue to ask for help from coaches down the line who have a poorer perspective on this standard.

Seriously, the wrist standard makes more sense.

With implied teal, I also would suggest that any pitch taken by a Twins batter should be a called strike. That would take care of Twins arguments over their check swings.

Half-seriously, I could live with that.

SI1020
10-08-2010, 06:46 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0619/page2_a_pappas1_300.jpg
Listen, umps never make mistakes. Never. I don't believe he's ever let it go.