PDA

View Full Version : Sox main target this off season is Crawford

Rockabilly
10-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Source WSCR 670..

It would be my dream for the Sox to sign Crawford but I think he will be signing with the LA Angels.

Boondock Saint
10-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Someone is going to throw an entire Swiss bank account at him. I doubt it will be the Sox.

DirtySox
10-08-2010, 12:40 AM
That's nice. Signing him is another story though.

Zisk77
10-08-2010, 12:59 AM
My number one target this off season is Jennifer Love Hewitt. I figure I got as good a chance as the sox. :rolleyes:

SoxSpeed22
10-08-2010, 01:00 AM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/familyguy/images/d/d5/Bug.jpg
Good. Good.

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm betting that either the Rays find a way to keep him, or he is a Yankee next year.

JermaineDye05
10-08-2010, 01:16 AM
He'd look great in black and white, but I think he's bound for red and white.

Either the Red Sox or Angels are getting him. I'm leaning towards the Angels on this one.

DirtySox
10-08-2010, 01:17 AM
I'm betting that either the Rays find a way to keep him, or he is a Yankee next year.

I'll take Yankees or Angels.

Dibbs
10-08-2010, 01:30 AM
We have so many needs. I'm not sure acquiring Crawford would be the best idea.

KRS1
10-08-2010, 06:22 AM
I sense disappointment in our future.

A. Cavatica
10-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Under the radar.

LITTLE NELL
10-08-2010, 07:25 AM
There was an article in the Tampa Tribune in August that Tori Hunter has just about talked Crawford into joining him with the Halo's.

twsoxfan5
10-08-2010, 09:44 AM
If he is the White Sox number 1 target then he will be on the Angels for sure.

doublem23
10-08-2010, 09:50 AM
If he is the White Sox number 1 target then he will be on the Angels for sure.

But he'll be ours when he's 38.

cws05champ
10-08-2010, 10:01 AM

There's a reason they didn't sign Damon for 2 years this past off-season. They knew Crawford would be available. But with Brett Gardner established maybe they dump that money into the rotation(Cliff Lee).

Sox have no shot at Crawford...with Pierre in LF, Rios in CF and Quentin in RF or DH, where would Crawford play, RF? Can't put Pierre in RF.

The Immigrant
10-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Sox have no shot at Crawford...with Pierre in LF, Rios in CF and Quentin in RF or DH, where would Crawford play, RF? Can't put Pierre in RF.

The WSCR "report" (it was just Bernstein relaying a conversation with one of his unnamed sources) was that the Sox would trade Quentin if they were able to sign Crawford, so Pierre would stay in LF. The speculation was also based on the assumption that Konerko is a goner. Now all they need is $120MM and we'd be set.

asindc
10-08-2010, 10:15 AM
There's a reason they didn't sign Damon for 2 years this past off-season. They knew Crawford would be available. But with Brett Gardner established maybe they dump that money into the rotation(Cliff Lee).

Rios in RF, Crawford in CF, Pierre in LF, Quentin at DH/4th OF. The Sox will not grossly overpay to get Crawford, which means he will likely sign with a team that will. I'm seeing Torii Hunter/Fukodome all over again. By the way, how are those signings working for those teams? I really hope my fellow Sox fans don't get all worked up about the team not breaking the bank to sign any FA like some did in those cases.

cws05champ
10-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Rios in RF, Crawford in CF, Pierre in LF, Quentin at DH/4th OF. The Sox will not grossly overpay to get Crawford, which means he will likely sign with a team that will. I'm seeing Torii Hunter/Fukodome all over again. By the way, how are those signings working for those teams? I really hope my fellow Sox fans don't get all worked up about the team not breaking the bank to sign any FA like some did in those cases.

Really? Crawford has only played 51 games in CF in his career....he has made it clear that he doesn't want to play CF or lead off. Any team that signs Crawford will be overpaying at the back end of a 5 year deal when his legs start to go South.

soltrain21
10-08-2010, 10:32 AM

We have a centerfielder already.

asindc
10-08-2010, 10:41 AM

I would not pass up the opportunity to sign Crawford (if the price is right) just because we already have Rios. He is good enough that it's worth finding a way to make it work.

Hitmen77
10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
The WSCR "report" (it was just Bernstein relaying a conversation with one of his unnamed sources) was that the Sox would trade Quentin if they were able to sign Crawford, so Pierre would stay in LF. The speculation was also based on the assumption that Konerko is a goner. Now all they need is $120MM and we'd be set.

Then the thread title is misleading.

We really don't know if Crawford is KW's main target....but anyone who thinks we will actually get him is being gullible.

Like Doub said, maybe we'll get him as a reclamation project when he's 38.

soltrain21
10-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Then the thread title is misleading.

We really don't know if Crawford is KW's main target....but anyone who thinks we will actually get him is being gullible.

Like Doub said, maybe we'll get him as a reclamation project when he's 38.

It's Rockabilly's most wonderful time of the year.

No way we are signing Crawford.

Lip Man 1
10-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't think this is going to happen.

Lip

DrCrawdad
10-08-2010, 12:33 PM

Really? Crawford has only played 51 games in CF in his career....he has made it clear that he doesn't want to play CF or lead off. Any team that signs Crawford will be overpaying at the back end of a 5 year deal when his legs start to go South.

IF (and that's a HUGE IF) the Sox were to sign Crawford, I'd guess they'd go with LF Pierre, CF Rios, RF Crawford. But Crawford is a left fielder, very little experience and apparently no desire to play CF. Looks too like he's neve played RF. I don't know if he's got the arm or ability to play RF, but no doubt he'd be better that TCQ.

soxfan43
10-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Of course he's the main target. He's the best position player available, he's a lefthanded bat and he's fast. But that doesn't mean the Sox will even get close to signing him. I've always been a big fan of his and would definitely sign him over Paulie due to age and skill set. But I just don't see it happening when the big market teams will all be after him. No way he returns to Tampa unless he takes way less money, they have a much cheaper option in that Jennings kid. I think the Yanks will make their big splash with Cliff Lee. But I definitely could see Boston and Anaheim duking it out for him. As far as where to play Crawford if the Sox got him, could he really be worse than Carlos in right, if that's where he'd play?

rdwj
10-08-2010, 12:50 PM
I know it's fun to dream, but does ANYONE really think there is a chance we land Crawford? It's between slim and none at best.

PalehosePlanet
10-08-2010, 12:58 PM

Absolutely. Someone will be paying 17 or 18 million a year for an .800 OPS-ish type player who will not be running much in years 4,5, and 6 of his contract. I hope that someone is not us.

Dibbs
10-08-2010, 01:04 PM
[/B]

Absolutely. Someone will be paying 17 or 18 million a year for an .800 OPS-ish type player who will not be running much in years 4,5, and 6 of his contract. I hope that someone is not us.

I am in this camp too. Count me out on Crawford. For the money, he is way overrated. Plus, we have many other needs. Crawford doesn't really fill a need on this team.

NLaloosh
10-08-2010, 01:07 PM
This thread is really funny. Carl Crawford.:screwloose:

JB98
10-08-2010, 01:33 PM

I'm sure they could find a spot for him. What they won't be able to find is the money to sign him.

doublem23
10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm sure they could find a spot for him. What they won't be able to find is the money to sign him.

Yeah, the thought that Carlos Quentin would somehow keep Crawford off the field is crazy. TCQ can DH it and if he can't handle that he can get the **** out. The last 2 seasons have done nothing to make me believe this guy can shoulder the load.

JB98
10-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah, the thought that Carlos Quentin would somehow keep Crawford off the field is crazy. TCQ can DH it and if he can't handle that he can get the **** out. The last 2 seasons have done nothing to make me believe this guy can shoulder the load.

And even though Juan Pierre had a respectable season for the Sox, I don't think he would keep Carl Crawford off the field either.

doublem23
10-08-2010, 02:16 PM
And even though Juan Pierre had a respectable season for the Sox, I don't think he would keep Carl Crawford off the field either.

No, Pierre was fine last season, actually better than I expected in the field. Granted, I don't watch a lot of Rays games, but Crawford's dWAR last season was .1, but the past two years he was over 1; 1.2 in 2009 and 1.8 in 2008. Sox Park isn't that difficult of an outfield to play, assuming you can figure out the winds (which, I think have gotten better since they carved off the top 7-8 rows off the Upper Deck).

For comparison, TCQ's dWAR last season was -1.9.

WhiteSox5187
10-08-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't see where we get the money to sign him. I think he is going to either the Yankees or the Angels.

LoveYourSuit
10-08-2010, 02:38 PM
He is going to be 30 and a good part of his game is his legs.

You want to dump $100 million on this guy, go right ahead. I don't.

You dump $100 million this offseason it better be for a guy who can post a .950+ OPS.

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I think the Yanks will make their big splash with Cliff Lee.The Yankees never operate on a model of targeting only one guy to "make a splash." If they see the opportunity to add two big pieces to their puzzle, they'll do it.

doublem23
10-08-2010, 02:44 PM
The Yankees never operate on a model of targeting only one guy to "make a splash." If they see the opportunity to add two big pieces to their puzzle, they'll do it.

Yeah, plus you got to remember they've got a few veterans likely coming off their books (most notably Pettite and Vazquez) totalling up to over $25+ M.

Lee is as good as a Yankee, and if they're really interested in starting a bidding war over Crawford, I don't see how we're going to be able to keep up.

Corlose 15
10-08-2010, 04:51 PM
My number one target this off season is Jennifer Love Hewitt. I figure I got as good a chance as the sox. :rolleyes:

At getting Jenifer Love Hewitt or Carl Crawford?

DickAllen72
10-08-2010, 05:03 PM
So the Sox are going to outbid everyone for Crawford just to play him out of position? What's Bernstein's "source" (probably Bernstein himself) been smoking?

If they did get Crawford (which I doubt) they should be trying to trade Pierre so Crawford can play LF, his natural position.

I'd rather see the Sox go after Jayson Werth and let him be the regular RFer anyway.

Domeshot17
10-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Kenny Williams has never signed a high profile free agent, but he is going to land one of the best of the market now?

MeteorsSox4367
10-08-2010, 05:36 PM

You really shouldn't make people laugh out loud when they're supposed to be working.

BTW, when Crawford signs with the Angels, it's a natural promotional tie-in with Carl's Jr. hamburger chain.

Bucky F. Dent
10-08-2010, 07:54 PM
:)

Daver
10-08-2010, 08:01 PM

After a decade of misplaced corner outfielders running around in center.

Zisk77
10-08-2010, 08:11 PM
At getting Jenifer Love Hewitt or Carl Crawford?

JLH, I'm not into Crawford in that way...not that theres anything wrong with that.:wink:

CLUBHOUSE KID
10-09-2010, 01:04 PM

Hhhhm not true per say. Yankees OF is good with Gards, Grandy, and Swish. They actually like it. Yes the Yankees spend $ but they are trying to lower the payroll as they did this year and I heard they are not going to try and get Crawford/Werth.

CLUBHOUSE KID
10-09-2010, 01:06 PM

Thats not why they didn't gave Johnny the $. And yes, they would rather give Lee $ because who knows if Petite will be back. Also, AK/Javy are so-so.

Brian26
10-09-2010, 08:29 PM
and I heard they are not going to try and get Crawford/Werth.

I'm not sure who your source is, but I'd be shocked if one of those two doesn't sign with NYY while the other ends up in LAAA. That what those two teams do.

Tragg
10-09-2010, 09:14 PM
He could be a DH; play LF or RF a few times a week to give people rest.
I hope to hell it happens.

Domeshot17
10-09-2010, 10:22 PM
The only problem I have with signing Crawford is that is pretty much all of the free money we have entering FA. Barring something drastic (like trading Buehrle), it leaves our lineup without 1 hitter who can drive in 100 runs. It would be nice to have a dynamic and athletic OF with Rios and Crawford, but unless you have a guy capable of driving them in, they are going to be wasted. And no, Carlos Quentin can't be that guy, we saw how that turned out this year.

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Hhhhm not true per say. Yankees OF is good with Gards, Grandy, and Swish. They actually like it. Yes the Yankees spend $ but they are trying to lower the payroll as they did this year and I heard they are not going to try and get Crawford/Werth.You heard from whom?

The term is "per se."

Foulke You
10-10-2010, 02:44 AM
The only way I see the Sox getting in on a bid for Crawford is if the market for him isn't as high as we all think it could be. If the price falls, KW could become interested but if the asking price is $18 mil per for 6 years, I think you can forget it. Even if the Yankees are not interested, you still have some big spenders out there. I wouldn't count out the Tigers as being a player for Crawford. They'll need an outfielder to replace Maggs/Damon and they have a lot of money coming off the books this offseason.

A. Cavatica
10-10-2010, 07:56 PM
What's the over-under on the Sox getting Crawford?

2%?

Edit: Too high.

Pablo_Honey
10-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't want any big name FAs signed here for any time soon. They will cost too much money to sign and most of them seem to hate coming here anyway. Aside from the rotation, I like the way our payroll is structured. It's a nice mixture of veterans and youngsters, although some of these players need be replaced if we want to have a serious shot at it.

SCCWS
10-11-2010, 10:10 AM
You heard from whom?

The term is "per se."

GOOD NEWS---Boston papers indicate Yanks may not pursue Crawford w continued development of Gardner. Instead they will probably go after Lee.

BAD NEWS- Crawford will be Red Sox top target w Werth as their fall back.

NLaloosh
10-11-2010, 12:33 PM
What leads anyone to believe the Crawford would even want to sign with the White Sox even if they outbid everyone else (which there's no chance that could happen) ?

Gavin
10-12-2010, 12:20 AM
WSI has been wanting Carl Crawford since 2004.

Dub25
10-12-2010, 12:47 AM

Well then, if you want to go that route, my offseason target is Salma Hayek...

slavko
10-12-2010, 01:03 AM
This can't be what KW and we call Under The Radar. That's why I think it's Hot Stove League BS. It was on WSCR, right? Proves it.

JermaineDye05
10-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Well then, if you want to go that route, my offseason target is Salma Hayek...

I'd have to go with Katy Perry, but if Elmo is involved, that's a deal breaker.

kittle42
10-12-2010, 12:53 PM
This can't be what KW and we call Under The Radar. That's why I think it's Hot Stove League BS. It was on WSCR, right? Proves it.

Ah, yes, "Under the radar," another bull**** phrase tossed around here.

LongLiveFisk
10-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Ah, yes, "Under the radar," another bull**** phrase tossed around here.

That would make a good forum around here.

"Under The Radar". :tongue:

BadBobbyJenks
10-13-2010, 03:07 AM

She is past her prime, you are going to regret that in years 4, 5 and 6

Jimmy Piersall
10-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Jessica Alba & Shaun Robinson...just to officially steer this thread off the tracks.

Zisk77
10-13-2010, 03:50 PM
She is past her prime, you are going to regret that in years 4, 5 and 6

So, I'm past my prime...actually I'm not sure I ever had a prime :scratch:. So I'll take whatever I can get...I'll settle for Jessica Alba if I have too :redneck Of course I'll take a 25 yr old Lynda Carter over them all - especially if she wear that wonder women costume.

Nellie_Fox
10-13-2010, 04:57 PM
So, I'm past my prime...actually I'm not sure I ever had a prime :scratch:.
http://lfm.mit.edu/blog/drewhill/files/rocky-arms-l-poster.jpg
"What about my prime Mick? At least you had a prime!"

soxfanreggie
10-25-2010, 10:50 PM
I think our main target should focus on what we do if we can't re-sign Konerko (and even then looking at acquiring someone like Dunn). About equally important would be replacing both Jenks and Putz if they both don't come back: http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/2663/williams-cant-unlock-right-combination

If Thornton becomes the closer, do we look at Sale for the pen for another season if he doesn't win a starting job? That would be interesting to see what they would choose to do there. What can he do now vs what can he do for the future (SP in AAA to start if he doesn't make the top 5?).

Lip Man 1
10-26-2010, 09:34 AM
I would be very shocked if Jenks returns based on what I heard when I visited the Sox in late July.

Lip

JermaineDye05
10-27-2010, 02:03 PM
As usual, expect the Tigers to be in the running for any player the Sox target.

Link (http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/)