PDA

View Full Version : Soxfest

nccwsfan
10-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm kicking around the idea of making the trip up to Soxfest this January. The whitesox.com link doesn't really tell you much, so can some WSI'ers explain what some of the high points are? I've heard about the Q&A, autgraphs, and team garage sale. Anything else?

Thanks.

ewokpelts
10-07-2010, 10:51 AM
It's gotten bad lately, while getting more expensive.

dwitt76
10-07-2010, 10:53 AM
How is the merchandise sales? I am not a big autograph guy so I would avoid. Would be it worth to just go for the Merchandise sale?

ewokpelts
10-07-2010, 10:57 AM
How is the merchandise sales? I am not a big autograph guy so I would avoid. Would be it worth to just go for the Merchandise sale?not really. the sox boot no longer has any real steals, and the others have decent sales, but you're paying $35 on a single day pass to save 5 bucks on a sox shirt.

the seminars are good, but is is worth $35 a day? that's the question you have to ask yourself

Nelfox02
10-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Its not what it used to be back in the glory days of the Hyatt.....but all in all still a fun weekend.

A great time to b.s. with a lot of other sox fans and talk baseball in the dead of winter-----sorta gets you fired up for the start of spring

tacosalbarojas
10-07-2010, 12:34 PM
not really. the sox boot no longer has any real steals, and the others have decent sales, but you're paying $35 on a single day pass to save 5 bucks on a sox shirt.

the seminars are good, but is is worth $35 a day? that's the question you have to ask yourself
That's my feeling on it as well, as I'm not an autograph guy at all...close to jettisoning it and saving for an extra game or two in season.

soxrme
10-07-2010, 03:01 PM
As with everything that MLB touches they just keep raising prices. Soxfest is just too expensive now. It was ok when they first started but it seems they have no idea on how bad the economy really is. $23.00 to park at games and $6.50 beers and high ticket prices are just getting to be too much. They are used to monopoly money not our lives.

soxpride724
10-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I thought the Garage Sale at Soxfest this past year was complete crap. I found much better deals and more merchandise when I attended the free Garage Sale the team does at the ballpark.

Dan H
10-07-2010, 03:09 PM
The Hyatt was great. The Palmer House sucks period. The White Sox may have gotten a great deal at the Palmer House but things worked much better at the Hyatt. One time at the Palmer House was enough for me.

salty99
10-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Well this is the last year of the Palmer House contract so we'll see if the 2012 Soxfest moves somewhere else.

DumpJerry
10-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Well this is the last year of the Palmer House contract so we'll see if the 2012 Soxfest moves somewhere else.
http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/its-waynes-world_517x290.jpg
We can handle it. Rock on!

Nelfox02
10-07-2010, 05:16 PM
yep, cost is getting up there for this event, especially if you go with that MVP pass. I did that last year, will never do that again.

Luckilly I recruited a friend to attend with me this year so it at least splits the cost of the hotel room

wonder if the turnout will be down this year......especially if the Sox have a quiet off season up to the point of Sox Fest at least.

I just cant recall an "empty" sox fest tho

ChiSoxGirl
10-07-2010, 08:18 PM
yep, cost is getting up there for this event, especially if you go with that MVP pass. I did that last year, will never do that again.

Luckilly I recruited a friend to attend with me this year so it at least splits the cost of the hotel room

wonder if the turnout will be down this year......especially if the Sox have a quiet off season up to the point of Sox Fest at least.

I just cant recall an "empty" sox fest tho

To be honest, this is the only way I can afford to go. I used to go by myself when it was at the Hyatt all the time. Even in the early years of the Palmer House, I could afford to go alone; not so much anymore!

The last time I can remember SoxFest being empty was 2005. I had no trouble getting near big-name players prior to 2006. Since the World Series Championship, it's been a lot more difficult. With that said, though, it doesn't discourage me from going to SoxFest because it's therapeutic to be among Sox fans for a weekend, talking baseball and anticipating the new season in the dead of my least favorite season. I've been going to SoxFest since 1993 and get just as geared up for it now as I did when I was a kid.

ewokpelts
10-08-2010, 08:28 AM

I just cant recall an "empty" sox fest thothe mvp pass wasnt what it was cracked up to be?

ewokpelts
10-08-2010, 08:33 AM
To be honest, this is the only way I can afford to go. I used to go by myself when it was at the Hyatt all the time. Even in the early years of the Palmer House, I could afford to go alone; not so much anymore!

The last time I can remember SoxFest being empty was 2005. I had no trouble getting near big-name players prior to 2006. Since the World Series Championship, it's been a lot more difficult. With that said, though, it doesn't discourage me from going to SoxFest because it's therapeutic to be among Sox fans for a weekend, talking baseball and anticipating the new season in the dead of my least favorite season. I've been going to SoxFest since 1993 and get just as geared up for it now as I did when I was a kid.
2005 was sold out. But they handled autographs a lot smoother then. And here was more room.

What I liked about soxfest was the sweet hyatt package.

I paid around $250 each year i went with the hotel(04-06), but i got more than just the room. I got FOUR weekend passes(which were three sets of daily tickets), FOUR free tix to an april/may game, and then i was able to apply my gold passport account to the stay and get bonus points. I had enough points from the three soxfests at hyatt to get two free nights in pittsburgh for the 2006 ASG. If I didnt have that, I wasnt going to the all star game.

I typically sold any excess passes I didnt need, which furthe rreduced my cost of the weekend, and the free game vouchers added another $100 value to my purchase.

2010 soxfest is $265 per room, PLUS $75 a head for the show passes.

ChiSoxGirl
10-08-2010, 11:49 AM
2005 was sold out. But they handled autographs a lot smoother then. And here was more room.

What I liked about soxfest was the sweet hyatt package.

I paid around $250 each year i went with the hotel(04-06), but i got more than just the room. I got FOUR weekend passes(which were three sets of daily tickets), FOUR free tix to an april/may game, and then i was able to apply my gold passport account to the stay and get bonus points. I had enough points from the three soxfests at hyatt to get two free nights in pittsburgh for the 2006 ASG. If I didnt have that, I wasnt going to the all star game.

I typically sold any excess passes I didnt need, which furthe rreduced my cost of the weekend, and the free game vouchers added another $100 value to my purchase.

2010 soxfest is $265 per room, PLUS $75 a head for the show passes.

I didn't know that. I just based what I said on how easy it was for me to get near players that year. I also didn't remember people sleeping on the floor the night before at the Hyatt to get in line for the following morning, which is what happens at the Palmer House.

Fortunately, the Sox finally decided to give season ticket holders a $15 discount per weekend pass this year, and since the girl I'm rooming with has season tickets, we're only paying $60 per pass. In my opinion, they should've started giving incentives to SoxFest veterans and/or season ticket holders some time ago, but that's a whole other issue.

I remember when the hotel package at the Hyatt included four weekend passes; that was such a better, more economical deal. I also agree that the passes should still be included in the $265 weekend price for the hotel room, but I love SoxFest too much to give it up for this reason. However, if the price goes up too much more, the Sox may succeed in pricing me out of this weekend of fun, as well.

chisoxfanatic
10-08-2010, 03:29 PM
I've always wondered how they handle the tickets to the event. I've been to every day of all three Blackhawks Conventions, and never once have I been asked to see my pass. Do they really check for them at Sox Fest?

DumpJerry
10-08-2010, 03:34 PM
I've always wondered how they handle the tickets to the event. I've been to every day of all three Blackhawks Conventions, and never once have I been asked to see my pass. Do they really check for them at Sox Fest?
So, you're saying if I'm bored, I can wander over to Hawks' Fest and crash it?

JermaineDye05
10-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, until Soxfest was moved, I seem to recall one of the highlights being hanging out at the bar with some of the players. Since it has been moved, I believe that has changed drastically. Although I do remember seeing Bill Melton and some of the older Sox players hanging in the lobby during the 2009 SoxFest, none from the current roster though. I love the Q&As, but so many people ask the dumbest questions.

DumpJerry
10-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Well, until Soxfest was moved, I seem to recall one of the highlights being hanging out at the bar with some of the players. Since it has been moved, I believe that has changed drastically. Although I do remember seeing Bill Melton and some of the older Sox players hanging in the lobby during the 2009 SoxFest, none from the current roster though. I love the Q&As, but so many people ask the dumbest questions.
I go to hang out in the hotel lobby bar. Every year there are several players there enjoying a cold one. Last year, Matt Thornton appeared in the lobby and was mobbed for autographs. I sat there watching the spectacle (I'm not an autograph hound) and I thought of working my way through the crowd to ask him if he wanted my autograph just to see his reaction ("do I make it to 'Matt' or 'Matthew?'").

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-08-2010, 05:33 PM
I go to hang out in the hotel lobby bar. Every year there are several players there enjoying a cold one. Last year, Matt Thornton appeared in the lobby and was mobbed for autographs. I sat there watching the spectacle (I'm not an autograph hound) and I thought of working my way through the crowd to ask him if he wanted my autograph just to see his reaction ("do I make it to 'Matt' or 'Matthew?'").

What bothers me about that is, most of those people don't even know who they are getting. I remember going to ST this year, and people screaming at players to sign this/that, then turning and asking me, who was that? Really? It's one thing if the guy is a minor leaguer, but it isn't like football where their faces are covered.

ChiSoxGirl
10-08-2010, 11:56 PM

I was among the people who approached him, but only for a picture. I never ask for a player's autograph "after hours" at SoxFest because not only do they sign several hundred times during the morning or afternoon, but getting an autograph in the lobby is very impersonal and, to me, not as meaningful. I respect a player's personal time enough to not approach him for an autograph, and I'll only go for a picture if I see he's accommodating other fans with a similar request. If I happen to see a player out at a restaurant near the hotel, I leave him alone altogether and let him enjoy the time with his family and/or friends.

Nelfox02
10-09-2010, 12:35 AM
I was among the people who approached him, but only for a picture. I never ask for a player's autograph "after hours" at SoxFest because not only do they sign several hundred times during the morning or afternoon, but getting an autograph in the lobby is very impersonal and, to me, not as meaningful. I respect a player's personal time enough to not approach him for an autograph, and I'll only go for a picture if I see he's accommodating other fans with a similar request. If I happen to see a player out at a restaurant near the hotel, I leave him alone altogether and let him enjoy the time with his family and/or friends.

that is the policy to have----I am a big fan of getting autographs but to see people just go nuts and harass guys in the lobbies or waiting for cabs.....kinda sad. I think that is why a lot of players avoid coming down and hanging out, and I dont blame them

some guys make an effort to sign during off hours there. For the fans that get there early on Friday for example, Guillen will usually sit down with a cup of coffee around 10 am or so and engage people and sign. Danks did it a few years ago too. Kudos to Sox players that make extra efforts like that, but for the ones that just want to be out and about I say back off and chill

Nelfox02
10-09-2010, 12:40 AM
the mvp pass wasnt what it was cracked up to be?

well----there were no surprises with it since they tell you exactly what you are getting before you buy it but for me it really did not feel worth what I paid.

obviously the selling point for it is the autograph help (private session and a "speed pass" for one autograph each other day) Private session is okay, but I get up early to get autographs even with a speed pass so that did not do much for me. other than the private session I could have accomplished just as much autograph wise w/o the pass due to the fact that I pretty much sleep in the lobby all weekend...

just depends on how you look at it/use it I guess, I think it is probably a good investment for some fans, just not this one

Soxfest
10-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Yes my Son!:scratch:

Hegewisch
10-17-2010, 12:02 AM
This would be my first Sox Fest if I go. I am a little confused. Do we have to pay for the hotel ? As I live in Chicago why would I pay to stay ? (unless its more fun). And, then passes... So, from what I gather I would pay $265 for hotel package then $65 each for each person that might come with me each day ?

ewokpelts
10-17-2010, 11:37 AM
This would be my first Sox Fest if I go. I am a little confused. Do we have to pay for the hotel ? As I live in Chicago why would I pay to stay ? (unless its more fun). And, then passes... So, from what I gather I would pay $265 for hotel package then $65 each for each person that might come with me each day ?yes. 265 for the room PLUS $75 EACH person (up to four).

You're better off buying two day passes at ticketmaster if you live in the city and dont want to stay at the hotel.

soxfanreggie
10-17-2010, 10:40 PM
yes. 265 for the room PLUS $75 EACH person (up to four).

You're better off buying two day passes at ticketmaster if you live in the city and dont want to stay at the hotel.

That or find someone who needs a hotel room but not all the passes.