PDA

View Full Version : Jim "The Animal" Thome?

vinny
10-06-2010, 04:01 PM
May be Cowley's last Sox column.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2776084,CST-SPT-cowley06.article)

The front-page teaser says "Trade inspired him to bury Sox," which I think is Cowley stirring the pot a bit.

GoGoCrede
10-06-2010, 04:03 PM
May be Cowley's last Sox column.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2776084,CST-SPT-cowley06.article)

The front-page teaser says "Trade inspired him to bury Sox," which I think is Cowley stirring the pot a bit.

Best thing about the article.

DirtySox
10-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I hope big Jim gets his ring. Class act.

Madvora
10-06-2010, 04:17 PM
People treat Thome like he was here as long as Konerko. Give it up already.
We didn't win a World Series with the guy.

TheOldRoman
10-06-2010, 04:23 PM
We didn't win a World Series with the guy.I agree. And other than the homer in game 163, Thome did nothing outside of play pretty well when he wasn't injured and be a nice guy. I am fine with other people rooting for him to get a ring, but I don't have any sort of emotional investment in him. I was rooting for him last year on the Dodgers just because, but I wouldn't root for the Twins under any circumstance.

soltrain21
10-06-2010, 04:24 PM
We didn't win a World Series with the guy.

Sorry I want a good guy who I enjoyed watching (just not when he was on the White Sox) to win a ring.

And the whole "we didn't win a World Series with the guy" is kind of a dumb argument. Harold Baines never won one as a player. Neither did Nellie Fox.

MarySwiss
10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I saw this online. Then I saw who wrote it. The headline and the byline told me all I needed to know.

I refuse to dislike Thome. That said, I don't want him to get a ring. Not with the Twins. :angry:

GoGoCrede
10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I saw this online. Then I saw who wrote it. The headline and the byline told me all I needed to know.

I refuse to dislike Thome. That said, I don't want him to get a ring. Not with the Twins. :angry:

Agreed 100%. I love Jim to death, and I do want him to get his ring, but no way in hell do I want it to happen this year.

DirtySox
10-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Sorry I want a good guy who I enjoyed watching (just not when he was on the White Sox) to win a ring.

Pretty much.

I mean I'd rather see the Reds win it all, but it would be nice to see JT get a ring despite the fact he is on the Twins. The only playoff outcome I'm really against is the Yankees winning. That hatred runs deeps.

ChiSoxGal85
10-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I am a fan of Jim Thome; I'm not a fan of the Twins. I'd like for Jim to get his ring, for the kind of person he is and has been for his entire career. I'll hate it if he gets his ring with the Twins. But if that's what fate lays out for him, so be it. I'll suck it up and say congrats to Jim; he deserves it. And I'll not-so-secretly wish that he'd gotten it with the Sox.

asindc
10-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Not that this has entered Mr. Thome's consciousness even for a split second, but if he wanted me to root for him to get a ring this year, he should have signed with someone other than the Twinkees, Cubs, NYY, or Boston. I'm sure the fact that I won't root for him to get one this year won't cause him a moment of anxiety, but so it is.

peelwonder
I don't care how nice of a guy he was he still plays for the ****ing Twins...

No way on God's green earth would I root for the Twins...

ewokpelts
Thome had a no-trade clause. So he APPROVED the trade to the dodgers. Kenny basically sold it to him as a chance to re-unite with his friend manny and try and get a ring. And considering that the sox organization(aside from the moron manager) attempted to bring him back in free agency should further illustrate that relations between thome and the sox were at least professional.

TDog
10-06-2010, 05:38 PM
I hope big Jim gets his ring. Class act.

Juan Uribe deserves a second ring far more than Jim Thome deserves his first. And there are some punks who play for the Twins who I would never want to see win a World Series ring.

Rikirk
10-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I root for Jim Thome,...not the Twins.
Jim is a great guy, its hard not to like him.
Im sure the same could be said of any guy on the Twins...but they are still the enemy, I will not root for them.
But if they win it all...ill be happy for Thome, and at least we wont have to see the same tired story of the Yankmes trotting out to accept the trophy.

Boondock Saint
10-06-2010, 05:49 PM

And the whole "we didn't win a World Series with the guy" is kind of a dumb argument. Harold Baines never won one as a player. Neither did Nellie Fox.

:clap:

Foulke You
10-06-2010, 06:01 PM
"It doesn't help that the last six months have seen that gap to widen into gorge status. If the Sox think they are close to catching the Twins, they're crazy. From the minor leagues to the majors, the Twins are better in every way."

-Joe Cowley

Whatever. The Sox came close to beating out the Twins this year for the division title even after stumbling out of the gate and had a hold on first place for a good stretch. We finished with 88 wins to the Twins 94 wins. This isn't exactly light years better than the Sox. Are the Twins the better team this year? Yes. However, Cowley makes it sound like we are the Pirates compared to them.

southside rocks
10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
"It doesn't help that the last six months have seen that gap to widen into gorge status. If the Sox think they are close to catching the Twins, they're crazy. From the minor leagues to the majors, the Twins are better in every way."

-Joe Cowley

Whatever. The Sox came close to beating out the Twins this year for the division title even after stumbling out of the gate and had a hold on first place for a good stretch. We finished with 88 wins to the Twins 94 wins. This isn't exactly light years better than the Sox. Are the Twins the better team this year? Yes. However, Cowley makes it sound like we are the Pirates compared to them.

Is it my imagination, or have Cowley's stories for the past couple of months sounded like he has an axe to grind with someone in the Sox organization? I'm guessing it's KW. I'd love to know if I'm right and if so, what the back-story is.

I used to like Joe Cowley's writing, but now he just sounds petulant and churlish. I really hope he's leaving-- either the Sun-Times or the Sox beat.

TDog
10-06-2010, 06:20 PM

I would have liked to have seen Jim Thome win a ring with the Sox, but I wouldn't have cared if he had won a ring with the Phillies. I certainly didn't want him to win a ring with the Indians, and I don't want to win a ring with the Twins.

Ernie Banks was a nice guy, too. I'm not sorry he didn't win a ring because he played for the Cubs.

MarySwiss
10-06-2010, 06:34 PM

-Joe Cowley

Is it my imagination, or have Cowley's stories for the past couple of months sounded like he has an axe to grind with someone in the Sox organization? I'm guessing it's KW. I'd love to know if I'm right and if so, what the back-story is.

I used to like Joe Cowley's writing, but now he just sounds petulant and churlish. I really hope he's leaving-- either the Sun-Times or the Sox beat.
Consider the source. And I hope he's leaving the sports beat entirely, although I won't hold my breath on that. He'll probably be offered a lucrative contract writing for ESPN, but IMO, he'll never been more than a negative, frustrated wanna-be-athlete hack.

TheOldRoman
10-06-2010, 06:44 PM

And the whole "we didn't win a World Series with the guy" is kind of a dumb argument. Harold Baines never won one as a player. Neither did Nellie Fox.Baines and Fox also spent a little more than three and a half seasons here. I don't hold Thome in any higher regard in White Sox lore than Jose Valentin.

TDog
10-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Baines and Fox also spent a little more than three and a half seasons here. I don't hold Thome in any higher regard in White Sox lore than Jose Valentin.

Baines and Fox also didn't begin and end their careers with the White Sox most heated division rival (at the time).

Lip Man 1
10-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Joe will be covering the Sox through the end of the year then he will be continuing to work in sports for the Sun-Times.

Lip

SI1020
10-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm not a big fan of Cowley but his comments about the Twins being better than the Sox are sad but true. Maybe not "in every way" but close enough to show a marked superiority at this point. White Sox management needs to take heed and make the necessary corrections.

hi im skot
10-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Baines and Fox also didn't begin and end their careers with the White Sox most heated division rival (at the time).

The Twins offered him a job - what the hell was he supposed to do?

hi im skot
10-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Juan Uribe deserves a second ring far more than Jim Thome deserves his first.

Okay, I'll bite - why?

Boondock Saint
10-06-2010, 08:51 PM

:thome:

"Sorry, guys. I just can't do that to the team that traded me away for a bag of peanuts, then didn't offer me a contract. They deserve better than that."

asindc
10-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Take the job.

What am I going to do now that he has taken the job? Not root for his team to win. No conflict either way for me.

hi im skot
10-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Take the job.

What am I going to do now that he has taken the job? Not root for his team to win. No conflict either way for me.

And that's completely reasonable. Some folks here want to vilify him for him, which is just plain silly.

soltrain21
10-06-2010, 09:10 PM

The Twins gave him a contract after we didn't offer him one.

SHAME ON HIM!

asindc
10-06-2010, 09:19 PM
The Twins gave him a contract after we didn't offer him one.

SHAME ON HIM!

You are missing (or ignoring) his point.

Hitmen77
10-06-2010, 09:25 PM

+1

I am a fan of Jim Thome; I'm not a fan of the Twins. I'd like for Jim to get his ring, for the kind of person he is and has been for his entire career. I'll hate it if he gets his ring with the Twins. But if that's what fate lays out for him, so be it. I'll suck it up and say congrats to Jim; he deserves it. And I'll not-so-secretly wish that he'd gotten it with the Sox.

Well said!

I agree 100%. Jim really wanted to come back to the Sox and he showed that around the time of SoxFest. It's not his fault that Ozzie said no. The infallible Oz couldn't find a spot for Thome in his lineup and later said he had no regrets with going with Kotsay instead. Shame on Ozzie, not Jim Thome.

Somehow, the Twins were able to find at bats for Jim and he (and the Twins) had a successful season. Imagine that. I'm not going to hold sour grapes against Thome because of Ozzie's stupidity.

:thome:

"Sorry, guys. I just can't do that to the team that traded me away for a bag of peanuts, then didn't offer me a contract. They deserve better than that."

Yep.

Take the job.

...and that's a perfectly acceptable response. Nobody has to root for him, but let's not (and I'm not talking about you) act like he's to blame for being on the Twins and succeeding....or that his time here means nothing to Sox fans.

soltrain21
10-06-2010, 09:38 PM
You are missing (or ignoring) his point.

His point is because he played for the Indians and Twins he doesn't want to see him win a World Series. Meh.

Then again, I'm not one of the people who want to see Joe Mauer turned into a vegetable by a Matt Thornton fastball.

hi im skot
10-06-2010, 09:54 PM
His point is because he played for the Indians and Twins he doesn't want to see him win a World Series. Meh.

Then again, I'm not one of the people who want to see Joe Mauer turned into a vegetable by a Matt Thornton fastball.

SPORTZ!!!!

There are plenty of guys to dislike on the Twins, but Thome and Mauer aren't on my list.

TheOldRoman
10-06-2010, 10:15 PM

Then again, I'm not one of the people who want to see Joe Mauer turned into a vegetable by a Matt Thornton fastball.:rolleyes:No, you still don't get it. He is saying there is a huge difference between Thome and Fox/Baines. Fox and Baines didn't spend the large majority of their career, including their primes, with a hated division rival. They also didn't go to another hated division rival afterward (and NOBODY in this thread chastised him for it, just pointing it out). Thome spent less than four years on the Sox. This isn't Bruins fans rooting for Ray Borque. This isn't Jays fans rooting for Roy Halladay. It isn't just the fact that he played on the Twins and Indians. Is the fact that Thome spent a good but unremarkable mid-late portion of his career with the Sox something we need to brim with pride over? Nobody is saying you can't root for Thome, but he isn't among the White Sox all time greats.

asindc
10-06-2010, 10:19 PM

Like I said, you are not getting the point...

:rolleyes:No, you still don't get it. He is saying there is a huge difference between Thome and Fox/Baines. Fox and Baines didn't spend the large majority of their career, including their primes, with a hated division rival. They also didn't go to another hated division rival afterward (and NOBODY in this thread chastised him for it, just pointing it out). Thome spent less than four years on the Sox. This isn't Bruins fans rooting for Ray Borque. This isn't Jays fans rooting for Roy Halladay. It isn't just the fact that he played on the Twins and Indians. Is the fact that Thome spent a good but unremarkable mid-late portion of his career with the Sox something we need to brim with pride over? Nobody is saying you can't root for Thome, but he isn't among the White Sox all time greats.

This is the point. Root for whom you like, but some of us stopped rooting for him the day he signed with the Twinkees, unlike when Baines played for Oakland in the playoffs.

soltrain21
10-06-2010, 10:23 PM
:rolleyes:No, you still don't get it. He is saying there is a huge difference between Thome and Fox/Baines. Fox and Baines didn't spend the large majority of their career, including their primes, with a hated division rival. They also didn't go to another hated division rival afterward (and NOBODY in this thread chastised him for it, just pointing it out). Thome spent less than four years on the Sox. This isn't Bruins fans rooting for Ray Borque. This isn't Jays fans rooting for Roy Halladay. It isn't just the fact that he played on the Twins and Indians. Is the fact that Thome spent a good but unremarkable mid-late portion of his career with the Sox something we need to brim with pride over? Nobody is saying you can't root for Thome, but he isn't among the White Sox all time greats.

When did I ever say he was part of the White Sox greats? All I did was combat the "he didn't even win a World Series" here. That applies to about....99 percent of all White Sox players throughout the years.

Madvora
10-06-2010, 10:25 PM

I don't care about anybody on other teams winning World Series rings. I just don't think we need to focus on Jim Thome so much. He was here for four years. He didn't have a long storied career with the team like Fox or Baines and he didn't do anything special like help us win a World Series. He was a nice guy and he played hard. The fans liked him. That's all good stuff, but for there to be articles about the guy still in the paper a year after he left the team is ridiculous. This has been going on all year. Enough already.

soltrain21
10-06-2010, 10:27 PM
I don't care about anybody on other teams winning World Series rings. I just don't think we need to focus on Jim Thome so much. He was here for four years. He didn't have a long storied career with the team like Fox or Baines and he didn't do anything special like help us win a World Series. He was a nice guy and he played hard. The fans liked him. That's all good stuff, but for there to be articles about the guy still in the paper a year after he left the team is ridiculous. This has been going on all year. Enough already.

Like it or not - the whole "should we have signed Jim Thome as DH?" was a very big storyline. All year. And really, it should have been.

Madvora
10-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Like it or not - the whole "should we have signed Jim Thome as DH?" was a very big storyline. All year. And really, it should have been.
I tend to be in the "we should have signed somebody, anybody to be our DH" camp. It didn't necessarily have to be Thome. He definitely would have helped, but I wasn't upset to see him go. I was upset when there was no follow up plan.

TDog
10-06-2010, 11:36 PM

I didn't say he should burn in hell for signing with the Twins. But am I supposed to be a Twins fan because somebody who played a couple of years for the White Sox had no choice but to play for the Twins? I don't want to give Delmon Young a ring just so Jim Thome can have one.

I don't want to see ANYBODY wearing a Twins World Series ring. I don't want such a thing to exist.

The White Sox are just a footnote in Jim Thome's career anyway. When he goes into the Hall of Fame, he will be a former hated Indians great who played briefly with the Phillies (who won the World Series after they traded him), the White Sox (who won the World Series before they traded for him) and the hated Twins.

Boondock Saint
10-06-2010, 11:44 PM

The White Sox had a future hall of famer, and one of the classiest players in MLB history, on their team for four years. The fact that he didn't win a ring here means jack ****, because he wasn't the reason we didn't win one. He played pretty damn well, as a matter of fact. He's a great player, and an even better person, and I would be more than happy to see him win a ring, no matter who he plays for. He deserves/earned it.

hi im skot
10-06-2010, 11:52 PM
But am I supposed to be a Twins fan because somebody who played a couple of years for the White Sox had no choice but to play for the Twins?

No. I can't stand the Twins and am rooting against them in the playoffs.

I don't want to see ANYBODY wearing a Twins World Series ring. I don't want such a thing to exist.

Me either, but I have no control over it. If the Twins win, well, bummer, but at least one of the best character guys to ever play the game finally gets his ring. That's a nice story that, at least for me, transcends "hatred" of a sports team.

The White Sox are just a footnote in Jim Thome's career anyway. When he goes into the Hall of Fame, he will be a former hated Indians great who played briefly with the Phillies (who won the World Series after they traded him), the White Sox (who won the World Series before they traded for him) and the hated Twins.

If that's really how you view Thome, I'm sorry.

Maybe I'm biased; Jim Thome did a lot of really amazing things for people I'm close to. He also played four fantastic seasons for my favorite baseball team. Game 163 is one of my all-time favorite sports moments, and Jim Thome had a lot to do with that.

Call me sentimental, but Thome will always have my respect - as a baseball fan, and as a person who appreciates good people.

Dub25
10-07-2010, 01:27 AM
I agree. And other than the homer in game 163, Thome did nothing outside of play pretty well when he wasn't injured and be a nice guy. I am fine with other people rooting for him to get a ring, but I don't have any sort of emotional investment in him. I was rooting for him last year on the Dodgers just because, but I wouldn't root for the Twins under any circumstance.

You took all of these words from my mouth. And the main thing people forget is it was not the Sox that didn't bring him back, it was the Dodgers. HE FINISHED 2009 WITH THE LOS ANGELES DODGERS, PEOPLE. KENNY GAVE HIM A CHANCE TO GET A RING BECAUSE THE 2009 TEAM WAS GOING NOWHERE. SO HE TRADED HIM WITH THOME'S BLESSING.

Seriously, I thought people here were angry that legendary Aaron Rowand was traded for this guy and now people want to put Thome a part of the champion display in front of the park even though he was not on the 2005 team.

Bob Roarman
10-07-2010, 01:39 AM
...There was never any inkling that the Dodgers would ever bring him back for a full season. He wouldn't get enough plate appearances in the NL. He was a rental for the playoffs.

TDog
10-07-2010, 01:56 AM
No. I can't stand the Twins and am rooting against them in the playoffs.

Me either, but I have no control over it. If the Twins win, well, bummer, but at least one of the best character guys to ever play the game finally gets his ring. That's a nice story that, at least for me, transcends "hatred" of a sports team.

If that's really how you view Thome, I'm sorry.

Maybe I'm biased; Jim Thome did a lot of really amazing things for people I'm close to. He also played four fantastic seasons for my favorite baseball team. Game 163 is one of my all-time favorite sports moments, and Jim Thome had a lot to do with that.

Call me sentimental, but Thome will always have my respect - as a baseball fan, and as a person who appreciates good people.

The point is probably moot because I don't see the Twins getting past the Yankees, and I certainly don't see them beating the Phillies or the Giants in the World Series (especially with the Twins handicapped in NL parks because of their heavy reliance on the DH while the NL champ -- with homefield advantage -- will be able to easily plug in a hitter off the bench in the AL park).

But I didn't see the need for Jim Thome to win a World Series ring in 1995 or 1997 when I rooted against him. I see no reason to root for him to win the World Series now.

One of the great things about Jim Thome's home run in Game 163, of course, is that it was against the Twins and it won the season for the White Sox against the Twins. There would be something deeply screwed up if Jim Thome won the World Series with the Twins.

There seems something self-loathing in White Sox fans rooting for the Jim Thome with the Twins. It sickens me to see the Twins even participating in the postseason.

Juan Uribe contributed more to White Sox success this century than Jim Thome. Root for Juan to win another ring. He's a good guy, too, and he plays better defense.

soltrain21
10-07-2010, 09:14 AM
You took all of these words from my mouth. And the main thing people forget is it was not the Sox that didn't bring him back, it was the Dodgers. HE FINISHED 2009 WITH THE LOS ANGELES DODGERS, PEOPLE. KENNY GAVE HIM A CHANCE TO GET A RING BECAUSE THE 2009 TEAM WAS GOING NOWHERE. SO HE TRADED HIM WITH THOME'S BLESSING.

Seriously, I thought people here were angry that legendary Aaron Rowand was traded for this guy and now people want to put Thome a part of the champion display in front of the park even though he was not on the 2005 team.

Hello, hyperbole.

The point is probably moot because I don't see the Twins getting past the Yankees, and I certainly don't see them beating the Phillies or the Giants in the World Series (especially with the Twins handicapped in NL parks because of their heavy reliance on the DH while the NL champ -- with homefield advantage -- will be able to easily plug in a hitter off the bench in the AL park).

But I didn't see the need for Jim Thome to win a World Series ring in 1995 or 1997 when I rooted against him. I see no reason to root for him to win the World Series now.

One of the great things about Jim Thome's home run in Game 163, of course, is that it was against the Twins and it won the season for the White Sox against the Twins. There would be something deeply screwed up if Jim Thome won the World Series with the Twins.

There seems something self-loathing in White Sox fans rooting for the Jim Thome with the Twins. It sickens me to see the Twins even participating in the postseason.

Juan Uribe contributed more to White Sox success this century than Jim Thome. Root for Juan to win another ring. He's a good guy, too, and he plays better defense.

Oh, give me a god damn ****ing break.

hi im skot
10-07-2010, 09:30 AM

Great, does that mean you can skip trashing Thome and go back to your Uribe lovefest somewhere else?

But I didn't see the need for Jim Thome to win a World Series ring in 1995 or 1997 when I rooted against him. I see no reason to root for him to win the World Series now.Wait, you were rooting against Thome, not the Cleveland Indians? Did Thome kick your dog or something?

There seems something self-loathing in White Sox fans rooting for the Jim Thome with the Twins. It sickens me to see the Twins even participating in the postseason.You obviously haven't been paying attention to any of my posts, so I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to play this game with you, but fine...

I never once said I WANT the Twins to win. I have no control over who wins the World Series this year. I dislike the Twins as much as the next guy, but if the Twins somehow manage to win it all this year, I will take some consolation in knowing that I guy I like finally got his ring. Apparently this is a crime in your world, so lock me up.

Also, again, just to make it clear - MOST FOLKS ON WSI ARE ROOTING AGAINST THE TWINS.

Juan Uribe contributed more to White Sox success this century than Jim Thome. Root for Juan to win another ring. He's a good guy, too, and he plays better defense.ZING! HILARIOUS!

I love Uribe, too, but let me tell you, Uribe is no Jim Thome. I could share some stories about Uribe, but I know that sort of stuff is frowned upon on WSI. Also, since you and Juan are buddies, I'd rather you hear it from him.

hawkjt
10-07-2010, 10:03 AM
I like Jim Thome. I wish him success. But not with the Twins. Ever. End of story for me. Glad that he popped out last nite to end the game and keep the Twins from turning a horrible call by the ump into yet another improbable Twins comeback.

TDog
10-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Hello, hyperbole.

Oh, give me a god damn ****ing break.

Whine for six months about how the White Sox players don't hate the Twins enough, how the Twins take cheap shots at the their players, how their pitchers throw at their hitters, wallow in threads about how the White Sox will never be as good as the Twins.

Then go and root for the Twins in the playoffs.

Sounds like a self-loathing personality disorder to me.

GoGoCrede
10-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Whine for six months about how the White Sox players don't hate the Twins enough, how the Twins take cheap shots at the their players, how their pitchers throw at their hitters, wallow in threads about how the White Sox will never be as good as the Twins.

I'm sorry, what?!

Boondock Saint
10-07-2010, 05:21 PM

Yeah, I'm sure this applies to every single Sox fan who disagrees with you.

TDog
10-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Wait, you were rooting against Thome, not the Cleveland Indians? Did Thome kick your dog or something? ...

I was rooting for everyone who played for the Indians, individually and collectively. I still do (except when they're playing the Twins or a team the White Sox need them to beat). When he came to the White Sox, I cheered for Thome. When he went to the Twins, I rooted against him.

That shouldn't be difficult to understand. I hate the Twins.

soltrain21
10-07-2010, 05:30 PM

Go find me a ****ing post where I have said any of those things? Where I "wallow" because I think the Twins are better and we will never be as good as them. Go find me a post where I've said the Sox don't hate the Twins enough or that the Twins take cheapshots on us.

I'm self loathing because I still like Jim Thome? Whatever, dude. I'll stop there because I don't feel like getting banned.

TDog
10-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Go find me a ****ing post where I have said any of those things? Where I "wallow" because I think the Twins are better and we will never be as good as them. Go find me a post where I've said the Sox don't hate the Twins enough or that the Twins take cheapshots on us.

I'm self loathing because I still like Jim Thome? Whatever, dude. I'll stop there because I don't feel like getting banned.

Go ahead and cheer for the Twins then.

As a White Sox fan, it sickens me to see them in the postseason.

soltrain21
10-07-2010, 05:41 PM

Alright, White Sox fan 1A. Do you get a secret decoder ring in the real White Sox fan club? Does Waldo the White Sox Wolf keep minutes at the meetings?

Boondock Saint
10-07-2010, 05:43 PM

Did he say that he was? All I've seen is that people would be happy if JIM THOME finally got a ring. Will it suck that the rest of the Twins have to win in order for that to happen this year? Yeah. That doesn't mean he's saying "GO TWINS! I LOVE YOU NOW!"

hi im skot
10-07-2010, 05:44 PM

I'm still trying to find where soltrain mentions anything about him rooting for the Twins.

THE HUNT CONTINUES.

hi im skot
10-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Did he say that he was? All I've seen is that people would be happy if JIM THOME finally got a ring. Will it suck that the rest of the Twins have to win in order for that to happen this year? Yeah. That doesn't mean he's saying "GO TWINS! I LOVE YOU NOW!"

Apparently in TDog's world, Jim Thome = the Twins. Of course, he's "sick" because of the Twins' playoff appearance, so he's probably just a little confused.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Can the WSI Gang of Smartasses join together and do something better with their time? Attacking TDog with this crap isn't making you guys look as cool as you probably think.

soltrain21
10-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Can the WSI Gang of Smartasses join together and do something better with their time? Attacking TDog with this crap isn't making you guys look as cool as you probably think.

We post on a message board. Nobody here thinks anybody else is cool.

Edit - And if we "attacked" him, then I'd really like to know what he did. You know, the whole "self loathing personality disorder" thing?

Rdy2PlayBall
10-07-2010, 06:14 PM
We post on a message board. Nobody here thinks anybody else is cool.

Edit - And if we "attacked" him, then I'd really like to know what he did. You know, the whole "self loathing personality disorder" thing?I didn't say that post was okay, but the 3 or 4 posts in a row of just you guys playing off eachother's "jokes", (I guess that's what they were) weren't very mature.

hi im skot
10-07-2010, 06:15 PM

Not really sure who this is aimed at, especially since no one is attacking TDog. Assuming you're calling me or soltrain out, we're on a message board - how cool can we actually be? (Answer: pretty damn cool, but I digress...)

Thanks for the armchair modding, though.

hi im skot
10-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I didn't say that post was okay, but the 3 or 4 posts in a row of just you guys playing off eachother's "jokes", (I guess that's what they were) weren't very mature.

Not everyone can have the advanced sense of humor that soltrain and I have. A gift and a curse, I'm afraid.

soltrain21
10-07-2010, 06:18 PM
I didn't say that post was okay, but the 3 or 4 posts in a row of just you guys playing off eachother's "jokes", (I guess that's what they were) weren't very mature.

That didn't even happen. Nice try, though.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Not everyone can have the advanced sense of humor that soltrain and I have. A gift and a curse, I'm afraid.I'm jealous of the smile you were able to give yourself while typing that... I truly am.

hi im skot
10-07-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm jealous of the smile you were able to give yourself while typing that... I truly am.

It's an award-winning smile.

soltrain21
10-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm done searching for my I love the Twins post - now I'm searching for the posts in which we played jokes off each other for 3 or 4 posts in a row.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm done searching for my I love the Twins post - now I'm searching for the posts in which we played jokes off each other for 3 or 4 posts in a row.It's not that hard, look at page 4. Your "Waldo" **** and the crap about him being "sick" and "confused." Come on, get over yourself.

soltrain21
10-07-2010, 06:27 PM
It's not that hard, look at page 4. Your "Waldo" **** and the crap about him being "sick" and "confused." Come on, get over yourself.

If I had a "Price is Right" fail sound right now, I would play it.

Boondock Saint
10-07-2010, 06:51 PM

Next time, I'll make sure to let him put words in other people's mouths and make blanket statements about the people who are disagreeing with him.

goon
10-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Ugh, **** the Twins and Carl Pavano's mustache.

TDog
10-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Alright, White Sox fan 1A. Do you get a secret decoder ring in the real White Sox fan club? Does Waldo the White Sox Wolf keep minutes at the meetings?

I know Cubs fans who were angered when the Cardinals won the World Series. I am guessing that there aren't many Bears fans who would cheer for the Packers in the Super Bowl. Being in Northern California, I would make a similar analogy with the Raiders fans, but I don't know who the Raiders chief rivals are, only that I don't cut off a vehicle with a Raiders bumper sticker in traffic because the occupants are probably armed.

I learned from growing up with a team that got kicked around and disrespected by other teams and other team's fans and pretty much the rest of the world that being emotionally invested in a team means hating your rivals. I know there are Giants fans who wouldn't even cheer for the Dodgers when they were playing the Padres in September. (The Dodgers-Giants thing is the most extreme in sports, though. Jackie Robinson actually retired from baseball on the day he was informed by the Dodgers he had been traded to the Giants.) I would be pragmatic and cheer for the Twins if they were out of the race and needed to beat another team to help the White Sox advance, but otherwise I the Twins.

But I understand some people don't feel that way.

Still, Jim Thome meant nothing to me before he came to the White Sox. I am guessing that he would mean nothing to most White Sox fans who post here if he never have played with the White Sox, if instead he had signed with the Cubs instead of the Phillies, as Cubs fans were so insistent that he would -- for less money, too, I was told.

If Jim Thome wants me to pull for him to get his ring (my allegiance, of course, means nothing to him), he wouldn't have signed with the Twins.

As much heat as I am taking for this, I know there are people who agree with me.

The point, of course, is moot on a number of levels. Jim Thome does not care if I care if he wins. And there is no way the Twins are going to get past the Yankees. And as it turns out, that is partially Jim Thome's fault for not driving in runs when given the opportunity.