PDA

View Full Version : No surprise here... Mark Buehrle nabs #1 Play of the Year

doublem23
10-06-2010, 07:03 AM
ESPN just ran its Top 10 Plays from the 2010 season, Mark Buehrle's between the legs, falling down in foul territory flip to Konerko on Opening Day was the #1 play of the year.

Viva Medias B's
10-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Was it the No. 1 play or the No. 1 webgem? Or both?

hawkjt
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I presume it is the Play of the Year.
It has established a new standard against which all plays were measured this year,and I suspect, future years,until someone beats it. The Buehrle-meter has become a fixture on BBTonite and should remain the gauge for measuring webgem excellence in future years. MB gets nice props forever,probably, kind of like the Lombardi Trophy or Stanley Cup.

LoveYourSuit
10-06-2010, 10:17 AM
That is just too cool!

It's amazing that it feels like that play happend 3 years ago.

Well, I guess that's our highlight for the year.

spawn
10-06-2010, 10:18 AM
The amazing thing is that he does this the first game of the season.

esbrechtel
10-06-2010, 10:25 AM
well deserved

doublem23
10-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Was it the No. 1 play or the No. 1 webgem? Or both?

Play of the Year

gogosox675
10-06-2010, 11:14 AM
That is just too cool!

I was thinking the same thing. What a rollercoaster season.

Domeshot17
10-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Well deserved, still can't believe it when I see the replays.

GoGoCrede
10-06-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm really glad I wasn't in the bathroom when it happened. Couldn't believe my eyes.

ChiSoxGal85
10-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Outstanding play - I'll never forget it. Wonder if Mark is up for a Gold Glove again this year.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-06-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm really glad I wasn't in the bathroom when it happened. Couldn't believe my eyes.I was busy coming back from the bathroom. :tongue:

I heard the cheers, I saw everyone around 1B happy and stuff... I feel like I saw it, even though I actually didn't.

ChiSoxGirl
10-06-2010, 02:31 PM
That is just too cool!

:rolleyes: Dude... did you sleep through June and July? There were plenty of exciting victories and well-played games to be considered "highlights." I was at the season finale on Sunday and the montage they played after Konerko addressed the fans was definitely longer than the time it took for Buehrls to field that ball... BECAUSE THERE WAS MORE THAN JUST ONE HIGHLIGHT THIS SEASON! You rarely have anything positive to say, do you?

LoveYourSuit
10-06-2010, 03:07 PM
:rolleyes: Dude... did you sleep through June and July? There were plenty of exciting victories and well-played games to be considered "highlights." I was at the season finale on Sunday and the montage they played after Konerko addressed the fans was definitely longer than the time it took for Buehrls to field that ball... BECAUSE THERE WAS MORE THAN JUST ONE HIGHLIGHT THIS SEASON! You rarely have anything positive to say, do you?

Seriously?

*** is it to you people if guys like me are not full time White Sox chearleaders?

I have said plenty positive things about this team, plenty. Just because I don't go gaga for **** baseball doesn't make me less of a person nor less of a fan than you.

Us not playing tonight is all that matters to me.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Seriously?

*** is it to you people if guys like me are not full time White Sox chearleaders?
:club:

soxfanatlanta
10-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Not that ESPN has any credibility with me, but that was the baseball play of the year. Did the MLB Network weigh in on the subject?

DumpJerry
10-06-2010, 05:12 PM
The amazing thing is that he does this the first game of the season.
It is also a depressing thing that it was on Opening Day.

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2010, 06:26 PM
My facebook blew up with even non-Sox fans posting links to the replay that night! It was a physics-defying play. Buehrle's been good for a few of those in his career.

Brian26
10-06-2010, 08:23 PM
That is just too cool!

I think you're being a little harsh in this instance, CSG.

The highlight of the year was probably the 25-5 run, but that doesn't really translate to a specific "moment" or "play". It was just a really great run of baseball with lots of victories that were mostly forgettable. Other than the Saturday night victory over the Cubs on Konerko's late homer to clinch the Crosstown Cup, I'm not sure any of those victories will stand out over time. The memory that stands out for me is Vizquel and PK hoisting the Cup, as meaningless as it was.

So, yeah, in terms of a "highlight of the season", the Buehrle play is a good choice.

Seriously?

I didn't even think that your comment was very negative.

Daver always says perception becomes reality. I don't think you did anything wrong here, but perhaps you need to re-evaluate other things you say since you're rubbing people the wrong way.

Daver
10-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Daver always says perception becomes reality. I don't think you did anything wrong here, but perhaps you need to re-evaluate other things you say since you're rubbing people the wrong way.

That Daver guy doesn't know his ass from third base.

TommyJohn
10-06-2010, 08:41 PM

Seriously?

http://www.queenstribune.com/guides/2006_Queens100/images/who1.jpg

Dat's right, I said you people!

ChiSoxGirl
10-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Seriously?

I have said plenty positive things about this team, plenty. Just because I don't go gaga for **** baseball doesn't make me less of a person nor less of a fan than you.

Us not playing tonight is all that matters to me.

I think you're being a little harsh in this instance, CSG.

The highlight of the year was probably the 25-5 run, but that doesn't really translate to a specific "moment" or "play". It was just a really great run of baseball with lots of victories that were mostly forgettable. Other than the Saturday night victory over the Cubs on Konerko's late homer to clinch the Crosstown Cup, I'm not sure any of those victories will stand out over time. The memory that stands out for me is Vizquel and PK hoisting the Cup, as meaningless as it was.

So, yeah, in terms of a "highlight of the season", the Buehrle play is a good choice.

I didn't even think that your comment was very negative.

http://www.queenstribune.com/guides/2006_Queens100/images/who1.jpg

Dat's right, I said you people!

Well, that's the last time I voice my opinion around these parts! And, with that, I'm done.

tstrike2000
10-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Agreed, no surprise. Especially since BB Tonight was using the Buehrlemeter as a guage.

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Agreed, no surprise. Especially since BB Tonight was using the Buehrlemeter as a guage.
You watch that gawd awful show when the MLB Network has a much better nightly show? :o:

I'll have to give you some crap about THIS! :wink:

soltrain21
10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Well, that's the last time I voice my opinion around these parts! And, with that, I'm done.

...And then they voiced their opinions...

TommyJohn
10-06-2010, 09:57 PM

Wha? What are you turning on me for? I'm on your side!!!!! Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I apologize for hijacking this thread.

ChiSoxGirl
10-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Wha? What are you turning on me for? I'm on your side!!!!! Thanks a lot!

I misunderstood. Archie Bunker is a little before my time. :redface:

#1swisher
10-06-2010, 11:38 PM
ESPN just ran its Top 10 Plays from the 2010 season, Mark Buehrle's between the legs, falling down in foul territory flip to Konerko on Opening Day was the #1 play of the year.

Mark is the Man! Congrats on #1 play of the year :bandance::gulp:

nccwsfan
10-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Not that ESPN has any credibility with me, but that was the baseball play of the year. Did the MLB Network weigh in on the subject?

I think throughout the year MLB Network would rank great defensive plays by putting it up against the "Buehrle Meter". So without knowing exact quotes I imagine it went over well.

soltrain21
10-06-2010, 11:56 PM
I think throughout the year MLB Network would rank great defensive plays by putting it up against the "Buehrle Meter". So without knowing exact quotes I imagine it went over well.

That was ESPN.

nccwsfan
10-07-2010, 12:07 AM
That was ESPN.

I don't watch ESPN- when I saw it it was on MLB Networks nightly show. Regardless it was the standard bearer for defensive plays in 2010.

hi im skot
10-07-2010, 12:19 AM
I don't watch ESPN- when I saw it it was on MLB Networks nightly show.

Nope. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Buehrle)

On April 5, 2010, Buehrle made his eighth career opening day start, setting a franchise record. In that game he threw 7 and 1/3 shutout innings against the Cleveland Indians and also made an incredible play which involved him flipping the ball to first base between his legs with his glove. After this play, Web Gems on Baseball Tonight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Tonight) added the "Buehrle-Meter", in which they compare the day's best play to the degree of difficulty of Buehrle's. The "Buehrle-Meter" is used daily on Baseball Tonight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Tonight) and was proposed as an idea by Baseball Tonight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Tonight)'s John Kruk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kruk).

soltrain21
10-07-2010, 12:45 AM
I don't watch ESPN- when I saw it it was on MLB Networks nightly show. Regardless it was the standard bearer for defensive plays in 2010.

Well, if you saw it then you've watched ESPN, because it's on ESPN.

thomas35forever
10-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Hell yeah. No surprise, but hell yeah.

LoveYourSuit
10-07-2010, 01:01 AM
What's even more special about this is the fact that his was the "year of the web gem." The amount of plays he was up against were pretty damn good.

Does this basically hand him the GG Award for AL Pitchers?

I think it does.

nccwsfan
10-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Nope. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Buehrle)

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong (or last time), but they've done something similar on MLB Network.

nccwsfan
10-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Well, if you saw it then you've watched ESPN, because it's on ESPN.

What's funny is I just searched MLB Network Mark Buehrle to try and bolster my claim, and the second link was my inaccurate statement (lol). So my bad.

tstrike2000
10-07-2010, 08:15 AM
You watch that gawd awful show when the MLB Network has a much better nightly show? :o:

I'll have to give you some crap about THIS! :wink:

Was it Baseball Tonight or SportsCenter, can't honestly remember. I just caught their plays of the week.

I heard you watch ESPN all the time.

downstairs
10-07-2010, 03:15 PM
What's even more special about this is the fact that his was the "year of the web gem." The amount of plays he was up against were pretty damn good.

Does this basically hand him the GG Award for AL Pitchers?

I think it does.

Well he won it in 2009, and he wasn't any worse this year. The GG award never really interests me, so I don't know who else may be in the running.

But, sure, I'd bet he wins it again.

ghostface36
10-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Well he won it in 2009, and he wasn't any worse this year. The GG award never really interests me, so I don't know who else may be in the running.

But, sure, I'd bet he wins it again.
he's going to get them until he retires
thats how gold gloves usually work

soxfanreggie
10-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I sure hope this wins an ESPY!

doublem23
10-08-2010, 12:54 PM
he's going to get them until he retires
thats how gold gloves usually work

For pitchers especially.

The BBWAA owes Mark at least 2-3 more when he was at his absolute best, so he should win until 2012 or so at least, I think. Then again, he didn't hit a HR this year, which will hurt his chances.

Sam Spade
10-08-2010, 01:07 PM
I sure hope this wins an ESPY!
I think they included it in this year's espys. He lost to brett farve or something else.

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Then again, he didn't hit a HR this year, which will hurt his chances.:thumbsup:

twinsuck
10-08-2010, 10:46 PM
I was there, it was sooo awesome. I felt so good about the 2010 season after that game. That changed quickly.