PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo On Sox Off Season Questions

Lip Man 1
10-04-2010, 08:50 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-whitesox-oct5,0,4273032.story

Lip

soltrain21
10-04-2010, 09:07 PM
The quote about finding balance from the left side doesn't make much sense. KW says that could come from resigning AJ.

That doesn't bring much balance...that keeps things exactly how they are - with no production from the left side.

Bucky F. Dent
10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
If Cora goes, can Ozzie convince Vizquel to stick around as the bench coach? I hated him when he played for Cleveland for the very same reasons that I want him around A.Ram and Beckham now. The guys is just one damned smart baseball mind.

Frater Perdurabo
10-04-2010, 09:41 PM
I think the Sox should defer their plans to groom Sale to start for one more season.

Let Jenks go, save the estimated $9 million to use on something else, have Thornton close, and instead use Sale as the primary LH setup man for 2011 only. Then, for 2012, he can be penciled into the starting rotation in the somewhat likely event Mark Buehrle retires/leaves. This means the bullpen is: Thornton (closer), Putz (RH setup), Sale (LH setup), Santos (RH middle relief), Linebrink (RH middle relief), free agent pickup (middle relief), Pena (long relief).

I do not believe spending one more year in the Sox bullpen will slow Sale's progress. I also think he can benefit the Sox more in 2011 in the bullpen than he can starting in Charlotte.

Daver
10-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I think the Sox should defer their plans to groom Sale to start for one more season.

Let Jenks go, save the estimated $9 million to use on something else, have Thornton close, and instead use Sale as the primary LH setup man for 2011 only. Then, for 2012, he can be penciled into the starting rotation in the somewhat likely event Mark Buehrle retires/leaves. This means the bullpen is: Thornton (closer), Putz (RH setup), Sale (LH setup), Santos (RH middle relief), Linebrink (RH middle relief), free agent pickup (middle relief), Pena (long relief).

I do not believe spending one more year in the Sox bullpen will slow Sale's progress. I also think he can benefit the Sox more in 2011 in the bullpen than he can starting in Charlotte.

With the way the Sox condition and work pitchers, there is no way Sale can spend a season in the bullpen and turn around to be ready to start the following season, it is not in Cooper's or Champion's philosophy to allow a turnaround of that style. It could be done if he threw a lot of side sessions, but doing that makes him unavailable for duty in the bullpen on those days, which makes it a waste of roster spot.

The break he got this year from starting probably did him a favor considering how college starters are used, if the Sox want him as a starter he needs to spend 2011 in Birmingham.

VMSNS
10-04-2010, 10:08 PM
With the way the Sox condition and work pitchers, there is no way Sale can spend a season in the bullpen and turn around to be ready to start the following season, it is not in Cooper's or Champion's philosophy to allow a turnaround of that style. It could be done if he threw a lot of side sessions, but doing that makes him unavailable for duty in the bullpen on those days, which makes it a waste of roster spot.

The break he got this year from starting probably did him a favor considering how college starters are used, if the Sox want him as a starter he needs to spend 2011 in Birmingham.

I also believe that the most innings he'd ever thrown in college was somewhere around 140, so he would definitely need to be stretched out it he wanted to pitch 200 innings in a season.

Noneck
10-04-2010, 10:28 PM

Why Birmingham and not Charlotte?

SoxSpeed22
10-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Putting Brandon McCarthy in the bullpen to stretch him out didn't work very well. I think Sale is best as a starter. I think the reason Daver said Birmingham is so Sale can focus on facing guys for a 2nd or 3rd time, without the constant demand (from the fans) to bring him up if anything happens to the other guys. But he can explain why.
Sale has a few things to work on, like his changeup, his delivery still scares the hell out of me and he can stand to bulk up so he doesn't crash into a wall like Danks did in 2007. I would aim for a total of 170 innings next year.

Daver
10-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Why Birmingham and not Charlotte?

In Birmingham he will face more hitters that are destined to play at the MLB level, the majority of AAA rosters are made of career minor league players, that and Charlotte is a band box, Birmingham allows you the chance to pitch over more mistakes than Charlotte does.

Putting Brandon McCarthy in the bullpen to stretch him out didn't work very well. I think Sale is best as a starter. I think the reason Daver said Birmingham is so Sale can focus on facing guys for a 2nd or 3rd time, without the constant demand (from the fans) to bring him up if anything happens to the other guys.

The White Sox would not hesitate to call up a AA pitcher, they have done it before.

Hitmen77
10-05-2010, 02:53 PM
The quote about finding balance from the left side doesn't make much sense. KW says that could come from resigning AJ.

That doesn't bring much balance...that keeps things exactly how they are - with no production from the left side.

I agree that it doesn't make sense. If they bring AJ back, they haven't "added" a LH bat. If they let him walk and get a big power LH bat, fine...but then they have a big hole to fill a catcher (I don't think Flowers/Castro is acceptable).

The more I think about it, the more I expect the Sox to trade one of their starting pitchers before opening day. Peavy's injury/contract make him untradeable. Buehrle's contract (NTC plus an extra year at $15 million kicks in if he's traded) makes him essentially untradeable. So, I expect one of Danks, Floyd, or Jackson to be traded to fill one of our lineup holes and/or to free up some payroll.

The Sox will then might go with Garcia as 5th starter with Sale waiting in the wings at AA. I'm not saying I think this is the greatest idea, but I won't be shocked to see it happen.

Tragg
10-05-2010, 06:28 PM
I think the Sox should defer their plans to groom Sale to start for one more season..
That's a waste.
If the Sox can keep in the pen as preparation as a career as a starter, then fine.
But to use him as a set up man is a serious waste of his talent.