PDA

View Full Version : It is designed to break your heart.....

Fenway
10-04-2010, 03:18 PM
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops

A. Bartlett Giamatti

"The Green Fields of the Mind " (http://mason.gmu.edu/~rmatz/giamatti.html)

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2010, 03:20 PM
That quote always makes me a little misty-eyed. Bart "got it."

Fenway
10-04-2010, 03:37 PM
That quote always makes me a little misty-eyed. Bart "got it."

In 1985 I was invited to a friend's cookout on Martha's Vineyard and Bart was there as he lived next door. We spent the afternoon listening to Tom Seaver win his 300th Game on a NY station.

A year later I saw him after Game 6 at Shea at the bar at the Hyatt on 42nd St. He remembered me and said "You don't need a drink, you need a bottle and bought me one." Keep in mind he was the President of the National League LOL

Losing Fisk to Chicago, said Bart Giamatti, a diehard Red Sox fan from farther down the Connecticut River in South Hadley, Mass., was the "the worst moment for Red Sox fans since the team sold Babe Ruth."

tstrike2000
10-04-2010, 03:46 PM
In 1985 I was invited to a friend's cookout on Martha's Vineyard and Bart was there as he lived next door. We spent the afternoon listening to Tom Seaver win his 300th Game on a NY station.

A year later I saw him after Game 6 at Shea at the bar at the Hyatt on 42nd St. He remembered me and said "You don't need a drink, you need a bottle and bought me one." Keep in mind he was the President of the National League LOL

Losing Fisk to Chicago, said Bart Giamatti, a diehard Red Sox fan from farther down the Connecticut River in South Hadley, Mass., was the "the worst moment for Red Sox fans since the team sold Babe Ruth."

Awesome stuff.

nccwsfan
10-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Very nice Fenway

Woofer
10-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks for posting this Fenway. I'm putting this on my Facebook page. It's exactly how I feel about the end of every season.

LITTLE NELL
10-04-2010, 07:48 PM
For some strange reason, this season more than ever.

TomBradley72
10-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Great quote Fenway.

In a similar vein, I've always liked this one from Rogers Hornsby...pretty much sums it up for me.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."

I just love this game (not just MLB, "the game") in a way that completely dwarfs the other sports.

guillensdisciple
10-04-2010, 08:15 PM
It's true, baseball does leave you feeling more than any sport out there. You're with it everyday for 5 months of the year and then it disappears. It's truly insane how much of a connection you have with it.

I came to America as a basketball fan and baseball fan/ player. I watched both religiously when I was younger, but as I got older there was this passion for baseball that never really came in to basketball. MInd you, I love basketball, but I don't get the same feeling when the season ends or begins. With baseball, it's like I am out there playing myself sometimes and going to the ballpark is an experience every damn time.

THe only thing that compares to it now is soccer (I prefer terming it football) as they play often enough to establish that kind of connection as well.

LongLiveFisk
10-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks for posting this Fenway. I'm putting this on my Facebook page. It's exactly how I feel about the end of every season.

Beautiful quote. I will post it to my FB page as well.

Thanks, Fenway. :D:

g0g0
10-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Great quote Fenway! Bartlett nailed it. :(:

http://mason.gmu.edu/~rmatz/giamatti.html

spawn
10-04-2010, 08:30 PM
So true. Thanks for posting that Fenway.

LongLiveFisk
10-04-2010, 08:36 PM
You feel it especially in the days following the last game. I feel pretty lost right now, like something is very missing from my life. :(:

Four months to spring training. :whiner:

Brian26
10-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Great thread. Thanks Fenway.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-04-2010, 09:18 PM
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops

A. Bartlett Giamatti

The older I get, the more poignant those words become.

ChiSoxGirl
10-04-2010, 09:29 PM
This is perfect for how I've been feeling. I just added it to the "quote" section of my Facebook page.

Fenway
10-04-2010, 09:46 PM
We should all thank the late Ken Coleman who was the Red Sox annnouncer for decades.

Bart sent him the piece and Ken read it on the final game of the season. WRKO radio got thousands of requests for a printed copy and :)

GoGoCrede
10-04-2010, 09:58 PM
For some strange reason, this season more than ever.

Yes. :(: I've been gloomy all day. The quote fits my mood perfectly. It's been making its rounds on Tumblr.

Bucky F. Dent
10-04-2010, 10:14 PM
My four year old son, who's been following the Sox season pretty religiously with me this year, cried when I told him there was no game tonight. "Can we still sing take me out to the ball game?" He asked. "Sure, buddy. Every night."

ChiSoxGirl
10-04-2010, 10:18 PM
My four year old son, who's been following the Sox season pretty religiously with me this year, cried when I told him there was no game tonight. "Can we still sing take me out to the ball game?" He asked. "Sure, buddy. Every night."

So cute!

manders_01
10-04-2010, 10:40 PM

Yeah, that's just totally adorable!

kaufsox
10-04-2010, 10:46 PM

that's awesome. My son is a little older, just turned seven. When I told him we might be seeing Paulie's last game as a White Sox, he almost cried and said, "but I really like him." Me too, buddy.

ChiSoxGal85
10-04-2010, 11:20 PM
oh, thanks...now you made ME cry! :D: Seriously, that is adorable.

I really did feel like crying during yesterday's game. I was sad enough because it was the last game, and then the Paulie and AJ moments just about did me in. Stupid baseball. :tongue:

ChiSoxGirl
10-05-2010, 11:01 AM
oh, thanks...now you made ME cry! :D: Seriously, that is adorable.

I really did feel like crying during yesterday's game. I was sad enough because it was the last game, and then the Paulie and AJ moments just about did me in. Stupid baseball. :tongue:

I DID cry! :redface: Seeing A.J. and Paulie being removed from the game so they could get their deserved standing ovations made me sad because of the possibility that was the last time we see them on our field as Sox players. But it was Paulie's words to the crowd after the game, combined with the montage that was shown & the song they used to accompany it, that did me in. :whiner:

TomC727
10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I have always loved that quote. How true it is.

LITTLE NELL
10-05-2010, 01:00 PM
This is why baseball will always be our "National Pastime".
Football, Hockey, and Basketball are all great sports but for me they just fill in the time before the next baseball season.

DSpivack
10-05-2010, 01:29 PM
There's a reason why it's my sig!

It rings especially true this season, or in seasons like 2003 or 2004, where the fortunes of the White Sox seem to rise and fall with the outside temperature.

Zisk77
10-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Great quote Fenway.

In a similar vein, I've always liked this one from Rogers Hornsby...pretty much sums it up for me.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."

I just love this game (not just MLB, "the game") in a way that completely dwarfs the other sports.

My favorite Hornsby quote explains why he (and I) don't golf.

"When I hit a ball, I expect someone else to go chase it."

I too would add to my facebook but I don't have one - I couldn't bear the thought of Grebeck of Tragg befriending me. :wink:

Brian26
10-05-2010, 08:34 PM
This is why baseball will always be our "National Pastime".
Football, Hockey, and Basketball are all great sports but for me they just fill in the time before the next baseball season.

Gospel.

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2010, 08:36 PM
...when you need it most, it stops

A. Bartlett Giamatti

That is exactly how I felt at our ballpark on Sunday. I bet a lot of you felt the same.

ChiSoxGirl
10-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Gospel.

No doubt!

That is exactly how I felt at our ballpark on Sunday. I bet a lot of you felt the same.

I know I did! Sunday was tough for me; I cried watching the opening montage for the last time this season, and from the time Konerko started speaking until the end of this season's montage. :whiner:

Lowell80
10-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Ladies there's NO crying in baseball

ChiSoxGirl
10-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Ladies there's NO crying in baseball

Yes, there is. :tongue: