PDA

View Full Version : What MISCELLANEOUS sight at the ballpark bummed you today the most?

Viva Medias B's
10-03-2010, 10:14 PM
This question I have posed is not about possibly seeing A.J. and Paulie for the last time or hearing Nancy Faust for the last time. All of those instances bummed those of us who were there today for sure, but I am talking about miscellaneous sights you saw at the game that bummed you out because they reminded you of our season's end.

For me, it was seeing Arturo the Elotes (Corn off the Cob) vendor shut down his stand near Section 128 in the top of the fifth inning. People kept coming up to this stand for corn but he had to turn them away.

GoGoCrede
10-03-2010, 10:21 PM
The montage. It's always one of my favorite things. It was sad seeing it for the final time. I always like seeing what things they've added/removed on Opening Day.

I also loved the 2010 highlights video. Anyone know what the song was?

Brian26
10-03-2010, 10:34 PM
On the Gate 5 side, the Sox usually open the doors on both sides of the beer garden (ie the east gate and the west gate). Today, for whatever reason (lack of security, lack of ticket takers, lack or interest), they decided in advance to only open the east gate.

DumpJerry
10-03-2010, 10:59 PM
On the Gate 5 side, the Sox usually open the doors on both sides of the beer garden (ie the east gate and the west gate). Today, for whatever reason (lack of security, lack of ticket takers, lack or interest), they decided in advance to only open the east gate.
It wasn't open on Saturday, either. It usually isn't open in April and May when there is a small crowd. It is a rarely used gate when compared to the others because it is not in the traffic line for anyone except the people who park on the west side of Lot B.

keloms
10-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Not necessarily a bummer, but, did any one else notice the disappearance of Gene Honda around the 7th? Apparently, the Hawks pre-season game was more important then finishing out the Sox game.

Viva Medias B's
10-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Not necessarily a bummer, but, did any one else notice the disappearance of Gene Honda around the 7th? Apparently, the Hawks pre-season game was more important then finishing out the Sox game.

Gene did the game at the UC, and Pat Schultz came in out of the bullpen to finish the game.

GoGoCrede
10-03-2010, 11:17 PM

Okay, I thought I was going crazy when I noticed the difference.

LongLiveFisk
10-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Seeing "Thanks For The Memories, Nancy". I know all things must come to an end, but I will miss her.

LoveYourSuit
10-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Not tonight but on Friday for me. Firework night has lost its luster. It was once an event to go to Firework night. Now it's just 10 minutes of nothing. The show has become very weak since the city decided not to allow anything to go on on the inside of the park.

Also, the Fundamental Deck needs to go. It's a waste of good advertisement space or even puting some seats up there. Take that thing down.

artwestland
10-04-2010, 12:01 AM
It's always the view on the exit ramps of the city north from 35th and Shields. I know I won't see that view until opening day next year.

Andy T Clown
10-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Not tonight but on Friday for me. Firework night has lost its luster. It was once an event to go to Firework night. Now it's just 10 minutes of nothing. The show has become very weak since the city decided not to allow anything to go on on the inside of the park.

Also, the Fundamental Deck needs to go. It's a waste of good advertisement space or even puting some seats up there. Take that thing down.

Kids love it and kids are the future fans.

tacosalbarojas
10-04-2010, 12:38 AM
Same kind of vein as walking out on the ramp for the last time...leaving my Lot G for the last time, all the routines of the summer being shut down. I'll miss my summer weekend Cell doings, but April will be back upon us before we know it.

Steelrod
10-04-2010, 04:36 AM

My kids, if given a choice, would spend the entire afternoon there. The beauty of the park is that there's something for everyone.

DrCrawdad
10-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Also, the Fundamental Deck needs to go. It's a waste of good advertisement space or even putting some seats up there. Take that thing down.

I wouldn't cut either Fireworks Nights or the Fundamental Deck. As the posters below stated, my kids too would be very upset if Fundamentals was removed. For kids it's a lot of fun. Plus when you stand behind the wall of the "field" it's a great spot to watch the game.

My kids, if given a choice, would spend the entire afternoon there. The beauty of the park is that there's something for everyone.

Kids love it and kids are the future fans.

ChiSoxGirl
10-04-2010, 08:34 AM
The montage. It's always one of my favorite things. It was sad seeing it for the final time. I always like seeing what things they've added/removed on Opening Day.

Plain White T's - Rhythm of Love (http://www.lyricsbay.com/rhythm_of_love_lyrics-plain_white_ts.html); perfect song for yesterday.

DumpJerry
10-04-2010, 08:39 AM

Are you capable of saying anything remotely positive about the White Sox?

The post-game fireworks show lasts about 20 minutes. I couldn't stay for some of the shows this year, so I leave as the show begins and the show ends after I've walked nearly a mile from seat, down the ramp and to my car.

But, please don't let facts get in the way of hate.

rdwj
10-04-2010, 08:54 AM

Mine too.

ewokpelts
10-04-2010, 09:04 AM

two things:

1. the fireworks were moved by the sox, i believe, as the scoreboard was falling apart due to the fireworks shooting out of it(and they installed a new video board). ALSO, and more important, they cant sell the outfield tickets when there's a fireworks night with the old configuration. the "new" rig(8 years old now) can do both ingame firworks and postgame shows very well. AND the sox sell more bleacher tix! it aint coming back buddy....

2. you must not have a kid/niece/nephew/sister/brother old enough to use the fundamentals deck. kids love it, and comcast pays a lot of money to be the sponsor. i'm suprised you think it's a waste of advertising space, when there are XFINITY ads all over the deck

Bruizer
10-04-2010, 10:38 AM

I went to about eight games or so when it was Fireworks night this year. I thought they did a great job with them. There was a lot of variety from night to night. It's still an event for our family, win or lose.

Bru

BainesHOF
10-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Ozzie not letting Paulie bat at least one more time before his curtain call. Prematurely cutting short his quest for 40 homers was assinine.

Also, watching Ozzie interact with the crowd during the game to the point where he was missing multiple pitches in a row before he went back to watching the game.

Ozzie is a clown.

doublem23
10-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Ozzie not letting Paulie bat at least one more time before his curtain call. Prematurely cutting short his quest for 40 homers was assinine.

Also, watching Ozzie interact with the crowd during the game to the point where he was missing multiple pitches in a row before he went back to watching the game.

Ozzie is a clown.

Supposedly Paulie told Ozzie to let Kotsay bat.

LoveYourSuit
10-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Are you capable of saying anything remotely positive about the White Sox?

The post-game fireworks show lasts about 20 minutes. I couldn't stay for some of the shows this year, so I leave as the show begins and the show ends after I've walked nearly a mile from seat, down the ramp and to my car.

But, please don't let facts get in the way of hate.

:rolleyes: Hate? *** is this, High School?

Some of you guys take this **** very personal. I don't even think the people working for this team would take criticism to heart like you do.

As for the fundamental deck, more power to you guys who don't mind spending a few inning up there even after spending so much on expensive seats. I honestly don't think it's that big of a draw to justify having it there.

DumpJerry
10-04-2010, 11:09 AM
:rolleyes: Hate? *** is this, High School?

Some of you guys take this **** very personal. I don't even think the people working for this team would take criticism to heart like you do.

As for the fundamental deck, more power to you guys who don't mind spending a few inning up there even after spending so much on expensive seats. I honestly don't think it's that big of a draw to justify having it there.
What have I taken personally? Just because I called you out on your hate?

You are right about one thing, the Sox have a rule that if you venture onto the Fundamentals Deck, even by accident, you must spend at least three innings there. Even if you're not with a kid.

dickallen15
10-04-2010, 11:14 AM
What have I taken personally? Just because I called you out on your hate?

You are right about one thing, the Sox have a rule that if you venture onto the Fundamentals Deck, even by accident, you must spend at least three innings there. Even if you're not with a kid.

I don't even think they let you up there without a kid. I will say while he may be a little off about the length of the fireworks show, they have lost a bit of their luster. The crowds were always nice on fireworks nights. They dwindled this year and a lot fewer people stayed for the shows than in the past. My wife is a big fireworks person. She has rated some shows this season as great and a couple as lame. I don't mind them. If I'm not with her though, I do leave before the show starts and it definitely makes for a little quicker getaway.

Woofer
10-04-2010, 11:22 AM
My boys love Fundmentals, and love fireworks shows. And they are both present and future fans.

DumpJerry
10-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Well, I hope that anyone who complains the advertising on the Fundamentals Deck does not celebrate any high priced contracts the Sox sign this year.

kaufsox
10-04-2010, 11:56 AM

Obviously, you haven't been up there it is a huge draw. Even on a day like yesterday, it was packed. And thanks for your concern regarding my bank account. Seats aren't that expensive and I can spend my time in the park anyway I choose and I know it's crazy, but my kids having fun isn't a bad way to spend time at the old ballpark.

tacosalbarojas
10-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Supposedly Paulie told Ozzie to let Kotsay bat.
Correct. Ozzie had nothing to do with it - Paulie asking to let Kotsay come in so he could get the AB was in every story about the game.

Chez
10-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Correct. Ozzie had nothing to do with it - Paulie asking to let Kotsay come in so he could get the AB was in every story about the game.

Another classy move by PK. I'm somewhat surprised that no one on this board has blamed Kotsay for this. :D:

roylestillman
10-04-2010, 04:22 PM

Found a bad version of the 2010 highlight video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H--SAz0hxL8

Hopefully the Sox will post a cleaner version.

I also love seeing what they add/ delete from the intro montage. The Brian Anderson Blackout game final catch didn't make it for the whole year in 2009.

johnny bench
10-04-2010, 09:42 PM
what miscellaneous sight bummed me out?

Fans wearing Bears jerseys to the game. which i'm OK with, but still bums me out because people had reason to move on from the baseball season, even before it ended.

konerko 14
10-04-2010, 09:45 PM
I really liked the highlight video and the Nancy tribute.

GoGoCrede
10-04-2010, 10:35 PM
The PTC forum is now locked, that's another reminder that the season is over. :whiner:

35thPaloma
10-05-2010, 01:28 AM
I took my younger cousin to his 1st sox game sunday. (he's 20, claims to be a cub fan, but i blame his parents for lack of baseball knowledge & the friends he surrounds himself with) He loved everything about our ballpark, the games, and fans. And pretty much agrees that its a better place in every way. It was nice coming from him since he's seen ballgames in other cities and I really haven't. So it meant a lot to me to be able to take him and have our team & park leave a great impression on him.

I'll really miss nancy, next to the Paulie & A.J goodbyes, all her montages got to me. I'm just happy I got to tell her as a relatively young(er-ish) fan that her playing will be missed :(

KenBerryGrab
10-05-2010, 01:36 PM

No way. FUNdamentals is a way in for new generations of Sox fans.

My kids love it.

The folks who work it acutally have instructional skills. One of the hitting coaches helped my 10-year-old clean up his swing.

Hitmen77
10-05-2010, 02:05 PM
No way. FUNdamentals is a way in for new generations of Sox fans.

My kids love it.

The folks who work it acutally have instructional skills. One of the hitting coaches helped my 10-year-old clean up his swing.

No way +1. That place has been a success for the Sox. The kids love it and it's not going anywhere.

I also heard that the Sox policy is that every half inning you are in the Fundamentals area, the amount of entertainment/enjoyment you receive by going to a game automatically decreases by 10%.

(by the way, for anyone who has never been up there, you actually get a great view of the field while the youngsters are doing their thing.)

Obviously, you haven't been up there it is a huge draw. Even on a day like yesterday, it was packed. And thanks for your concern regarding my bank account. Seats aren't that expensive and I can spend my time in the park anyway I choose and I know it's crazy, but my kids having fun isn't a bad way to spend time at the old ballpark.
:clap:

Haven't you heard? Despite the popularity of the Fundamentals area, the Sox need to tear it down because a few fans think other people shouldn't spend time there.

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2010, 08:23 PM
what miscellaneous sight bummed me out?

Fans wearing Bears jerseys to the game. which i'm OK with, but still bums me out because people had reason to move on from the baseball season, even before it ended.

On Opening Day and Closing Day, I think fans should wear WHITE SOX apparel.

LoveYourSuit
10-06-2010, 10:28 AM
No way +1. That place has been a success for the Sox. The kids love it and it's not going anywhere.

I also heard that the Sox policy is that every half inning you are in the Fundamentals area, the amount of entertainment/enjoyment you receive by going to a game automatically decreases by 10%.

(by the way, for anyone who has never been up there, you actually get a great view of the field while the youngsters are doing their thing.)

:clap:

Haven't you heard? Despite the popularity of the Fundamentals area, the Sox need to tear it down because a few fans think other people shouldn't spend time there.

OK, I get your point. Fundamentals is the greatest ballpark invention ever! How did we go so many years as Sox fans and not having something like this for our children :rolleyes:

Whatever.

All I was saying is that perhaps it would serve the Sox better to put 2500 seats up there in an upper deck type setting and make more revenue than they are today. Assuming you can fill those seats (which btw is one hell of view IMO) for an avg price of $35 per game that's about $7 million of added revenue.

Not sure if Comcast/Pontiac is paying that much to put their name on the current set up.

But my bad for thinking outside the box. Let's make sure we don't piss off the parents of the 200+ kids that visit that structure on a daily basis.

kaufsox
10-06-2010, 11:10 AM
OK, I get your point. Fundamentals is the greatest ballpark invention ever! How did we go so many years as Sox fans and not having something like this for our children :rolleyes:

Whatever.

All I was saying is that perhaps it would serve the Sox better to put 2500 seats up there in an upper deck type setting and make more revenue than they are today. Assuming you can fill those seats (which btw is one hell of view IMO) for an avg price of $35 per game that's about $7 million of added revenue.

Not sure if Comcast/Pontiac is paying that much to put their name on the current set up.

But my bad for thinking outside the box. Let's make sure we don't piss off the parents of the 200+ kids that visit that structure on a daily basis.

Actually, the fundamentals deck is outside of the box, especially when first introduced. Also since ad revenue is one of the biggest parts of the Sox profit stream, my guess is Comcast is paying quite a bit. Finally, seeing how the seats from 544-556(?) are some of the cheapest in the house, I don't think the team would get $35 a pop. Oh one more thing, why do you hate children?

Nellie_Fox
10-06-2010, 11:54 AM
But my bad for thinking outside the box.
Oh yeah, seats in a ballpark is "thinking outside the box" but an instructional/play area for kids is "same ol' same ol'"

Hitmen77
10-06-2010, 12:02 PM
OK, I get your point. Fundamentals is the greatest ballpark invention ever! How did we go so many years as Sox fans and not having something like this for our children

So, now the argument is that we should get rid of it because we got along fine without it in the past? :?:

As for the fundamental deck, more power to you guys who don't mind spending a few inning up there even after spending so much on expensive seats. I honestly don't think it's that big of a draw to justify having it there.All I was saying is that perhaps it would serve the Sox better to put 2500 seats up there in an upper deck type setting and make more revenue than they are today. Assuming you can fill those seats (which btw is one hell of view IMO) for an avg price of $35 per game that's about $7 million of added revenue.So, people who spend their time up there away from expensive seats are wasting their money.....but the Sox could charge $35 per ticket if they put seats up there instead? :scratch:

But my bad for thinking outside the box. Let's make sure we don't piss off the parents of the 200+ kids that visit that structure on a daily basis.Yes, only 200 fans like Fundamentals.:bs:
But I see your point: the team should piss off people with kids just to make sure they dont' piss off a few curmudgeons who are angered that the place even exists. I'm sure there were many fans at the park who said the existence of Fundamentals "bummed them the most" (that is the thread topic, after all).

ewokpelts
10-06-2010, 04:53 PM

Whatever.

But my bad for thinking outside the box. Let's make sure we don't piss off the parents of the 200+ kids that visit that structure on a daily basis.The structure dosent impact the view of the fans in the lower reserve seats. i dont see your problem. Most people think it's a nice addition to the park. And it serves the purpose of the sox marketing program, to promote the sox experience to families and kids.

DumpJerry
10-06-2010, 05:10 PM

Whatever.
You know, you don't have to think in extremes. That might help you when analyzing the team. It's not a "1927 Yankees vs. 1962 Mets" comparison most of us work with. There is a huge middle ground where 98% of the truth lies.

Nobody is saying the Fundamental Deck is the worst or greatest innovation for a ballpark. What is being said is that it's a nice idea to help out when you have restless kids with you at a game and it also brings in revenues for the team.

doublem23
10-06-2010, 05:59 PM

Whatever.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Jesus Christ, dude. You posted an opinion. Nobody agreed with it. Just ****ing deal with it, man.

DumpJerry
10-06-2010, 07:21 PM
What is "Pontiac?" That's a town in central Illinois with a Maximum Security prison with a Death Row. Why do they need to advertise?

My seats in sec. 115 face the Fundamentals Deck. Not once this season did I see a single mention of this "Pontiac" thing.

Brian26
10-06-2010, 08:08 PM
What is "Pontiac?"

They built excitement. :D:

Brian26
10-06-2010, 08:09 PM

There's no way in hell that view would bring $35 a seat. No way.

DumpJerry
10-07-2010, 12:34 AM
For over ten years there have been plans drawn up for a home run porch in RF. They won't build it because, unlike that cornfield in Iowa, they won't come.

ewokpelts
10-07-2010, 11:54 AM
There's no way in hell that view would bring $35 a seat. No way.well, maybe it could. possible seats would be near the club level's sightlines, and those are $50 tickets on most nights

Hitmen77
10-07-2010, 12:34 PM
well, maybe it could. possible seats would be near the club level's sightlines, and those are $50 tickets on most nights

...but those have waiter service to your seat and a carpeted, climate controlled concourse with couches and big screen TVs. Plus they have different (better) food options than what is available in the lower or upper deck. That's why they're $50.

I suppose they could add seats somewhere that would tie in to those services. But like DumpJerry already said, if the Sox were going to add an extra OF seating section, the plan was to do so in RF (where space is available). There is no need to tear down Fundamentals to make room for more seats (except to satisfy a few people's hate of the place's existence, I suppose).

Red Barchetta
10-07-2010, 12:39 PM
For over ten years there have been plans drawn up for a home run porch in RF. They won't build it because, unlike that cornfield in Iowa, they won't come.

If they ever build something there, I would like to see more of an open-seating, party-like deck. It could connect into the Stadium Club and help expand the theme of the Bullpen Sports Bar. The concept could even expand outside into a tailgate or patio.

Atlanta's Turner Field has something similar in CF.

ewokpelts
10-07-2010, 12:47 PM
...but those have waiter service to your seat and a carpeted, climate controlled concourse with couches and big screen TVs. Plus they have different (better) food options than what is available in the lower or upper deck. That's why they're $50.

I suppose they could add seats somewhere that would tie in to those services. But like DumpJerry already said, if the Sox were going to add an extra OF seating section, the plan was to do so in RF (where space is available). There is no need to tear down Fundamentals to make room for more seats (except to satisfy a few people's hate of the place's existence, I suppose).i dont want the fundamentals deck razed. i think it serves it's purpose well.

any "home run porch" would be better served as a party deck, with group sales. milwaukee has several options for that, including thier dew deck.

DumpJerry
10-07-2010, 12:51 PM
If they ever build something there, I would like to see more of an open-seating, party-like deck. It could connect into the Stadium Club and help expand the theme of the Bullpen Sports Bar. The concept could even expand outside into a tailgate or patio.

Atlanta's Turner Field has something similar in CF.
This (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64903) thread from 2006 has the drawing (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=994511&postcount=17) I was thinking of.

Hitmen77
10-07-2010, 04:04 PM
i dont want the fundamentals deck razed. i think it serves it's purpose well.

any "home run porch" would be better served as a party deck, with group sales. milwaukee has several options for that, including thier dew deck.

That's a good idea.

Right now, aside from a few games like opening day, Cubs series games, and a few others, the Sox really aren't going to utilize much more seating capacity than they have now. I don't see that changing unless the Sox can start consistently going deep into the playoffs over several years.

soxlady8
10-07-2010, 05:11 PM
I did not get to say goodbye this past weekend , however -
I will miss this: The joy of showing the guard my 100 level ticket , smelling the beer and the food , and looking east towards the scoreboard and the Fundamentals section right upon entering !! WHAT A GLORIOUS FEELING !

April , April , April -- please come soon !

Brian26
10-07-2010, 10:46 PM
well, maybe it could. possible seats would be near the club level's sightlines, and those are $50 tickets on most nights

I don't know how you could ever charge $35+ for a seat that is so far from the field that a ball would never make it there. Let's be honest. These wouldn't be like the Monster seats at Fenway. Even at the same height as Club Level, the Fundamentals Deck is a good 75-feet behind the bullpen, if not more. It's a different view, but its way too far from homeplate to be a premium seat.

ewokpelts
10-08-2010, 09:16 AM
I don't know how you could ever charge $35+ for a seat that is so far from the field that a ball would never make it there. Let's be honest. These wouldn't be like the Monster seats at Fenway. Even at the same height as Club Level, the Fundamentals Deck is a good 75-feet behind the bullpen, if not more. It's a different view, but its way too far from homeplate to be a premium seat.if it's sold as a ticket with lower level access, it'll sell.

mind you, i'm not advocating razing the fundamentals deck. but a seating section like the dew deck or tundra seats @ miller park wouldnt be bad.

CLUBHOUSE KID
10-08-2010, 11:39 AM
What is "Pontiac?" That's a town in central Illinois with a Maximum Security prison with a Death Row. Why do they need to advertise?

My seats in sec. 115 face the Fundamentals Deck. Not once this season did I see a single mention of this "Pontiac" thing.

I am guessing you are were doing this just to jerk around? He means when it was PONTIAC back in 2005-2008. I find it funny that this thread went to a FUNdemental deck argument.

GoSox2K3
10-08-2010, 02:44 PM

That number is completely unrealistic. You just multiplied $35 x 2500 x 81 games to get to $7 million of added revenue.:teach:

Even if we assumed for the sake of argument that the Sox would put in 2500 seats up there and could market them for an avg. price is $35/game, you're $7 million is based on the assumption that these extra seats would mean that the Sox would sell out this section EVERY GAME and that the people in these seats will be 2500 extra fans at all 81 home games.

There is no way that putting an extra 2500 seats at the Cell means that attendance would go up 2500 for every game.

Fundamentals is not costing the Sox $7 million/year in revenue.

DumpJerry
10-08-2010, 02:57 PM

That number is completely unrealistic. You just multiplied $35 x 2500 x 81 games to get to $7 million of added revenue.:teach:

Even if we assumed for the sake of argument that the Sox would put in 2500 seats up there and could market them for an avg. price is $35/game, you're $7 million is based on the assumption that these extra seats would mean that the Sox would sell out this section EVERY GAME and that the people in these seats will be 2500 extra fans at all 81 home games.

There is no way that putting an extra 2500 seats at the Cell means that attendance would go up 2500 for every game.

Fundamentals is not costing the Sox $7 million/year in revenue.
GoSox: He is also assuming that the 2,500 people who will occupy this wonderland 81 times a year are people who would otherwise not have bought a ticket to see the Sox in a different section of the park.
The $7,000,000 projection=:fail:. If that projection were even remotely possible, there would be an upper deck like this in left and right to bring in enough cha ching to pay for a Konerko contract built by tomorrow.