PDA

View Full Version : Kenny on off season priority...

Lip Man 1
10-03-2010, 04:53 PM
"We're going to try to get the best hitters on the market from an offensive perspective, we certainly have to get a left-handed hitter in here who can do some damage." -- told to Mark Gonzales of the Tribune.

------------------------

We'll see what eventually happens along these lines.

Lip

Rockabilly
10-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Lets hope that left hander is name Prince

Hitmen77
10-03-2010, 05:30 PM
"We're going to try to get the best hitters on the market from an offensive perspective, we certainly have to get a left-handed hitter in here who can do some damage." -- told to Mark Gonzales of the Tribune.

------------------------

Lip

Is this where we trot out the old "never believe anything KW says" line? :dunno:

Nonetheless, it should be an interesting offseason to see how the Sox fill the holes in the roster.

Who would the Sox need to trade to get him? We'd have to pay a high price to get him. He'd almost certainly be a one year rental too.

soxfanreggie
10-03-2010, 05:38 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to him or a guy by the name of Adam Dunn if PK doesn't re-sign. If we could get Prince and re-sign PK, I'd be ecstatic. I think the offensive potential would help sell tickets, but since it wouldn't guarantee enough season ticket sales to help offset the expense, I would have a hard time seeing the Sox do it.

soltrain21
10-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I very much see Gavin Floyd or John Danks being sent in a trade for an impact bat.

DirtySox
10-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Kenny is also talking up the Morel/Dayan/Flowers trio in case they need to go young.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/2506/fall-back-plan-stresses-youth-defense

Lip Man 1
10-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Danks would bring more in return because he's left handed and Floyd has finished the past two seasons with some injury questions.

If you are going to do this though you better re-sign Garcia or get another bargain basement starter since Torres / Harrell are not the answer to the 5th starter slot. (Kenny wants Sale to start next year in the minors so he isn't an option at least at the start of the year.)

Lip

tsoxman
10-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Danks would bring more in return because he's left handed and Floyd has finished the past two seasons with some injury questions.

If you are going to do this though you better re-sign Garcia or get another bargain basement starter since Torres / Harrell are not the answer to the 5th starter slot. (Kenny wants Sale to start next year in the minors so he isn't an option at least at the start of the year.)

Lip
If you trade Danks, you all of a sudden do not have enough starting pitching even if you do resign Garcia. I would also keep Sale in the bullpen.

JermaineDye05
10-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Kenny is also talking up the Morel/Dayan/Flowers trio in case they need to go young.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/2506/fall-back-plan-stresses-youth-defense

Or in case they need to make a trade.

As far as the left-handed hitter goes.

There's Crawford, Dunn, and Fielder. Neither of them will come cheap and only one of them can really play the field.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-03-2010, 07:18 PM
I could actually live with...

Peavy
Floyd
Buehrle
Jackson
Sale

If that means our offense gets someone like Fielder... I'm all for it. We survived games with Pena and company, I think Sale wont be a problem.

Tragg
10-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Danks is our best pitcher.
Better get a TON for him.

WhiteSox5187
10-03-2010, 08:51 PM

------------------------

Lip

There's this guy named Konerko that I'd like to see us get...

I hope that we keep him, but I fear this could be an ugly off season.

DirtySox
10-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't mind Kenny pulling off a trade or two similar to what the Tigers did last offseason. Trade Gavin or Danks for a few touted prospects that are just about ready to contribute. A young, cheap, high ceiling OF or C would be mighty fine.

guillensdisciple
10-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Interesting. This statement is not one of a small market club, he's basically vaulting our club into the upper quadrant of teams in the bigs. I hope this is true. I don't expect us to spend on everything, but at least sign a big name of a guy like Paulie leaves.

soltrain21
10-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Interesting. This statement is not one of a small market club, he's basically vaulting our club into the upper quadrant of teams in the bigs. I hope this is true. I don't expect us to spend on everything, but at least sign a big name of a guy like Paulie leaves.

He isn't vaulting anything. We aren't a small market club, and our spending isn't that of a small market club and hasn't been for a while.

guillensdisciple
10-03-2010, 11:05 PM
He isn't vaulting anything. We aren't a small market club, and our spending isn't that of a small market club and hasn't been for a while.

Eh, when you make moves like signing Teahen to extensions it kind of rubs off that way.

Then again, the Sox have been taking on salaries on the likes of Rios, Peavy, and Jackson without any thought so I guess we're not even close to small- market anymore.

Will say this though, I would leave our pitching alone for a year. Let Sale have a year down there as a starter and get his feet wet. Put him in to Jackson's spot (unless Jackson explodes and wants to re-up with us) in two years and let him have at it.

OR let Danks or Floyd go for a really good bat and I can see this team being really good. Sure, it's kind of bad having to trust in Sale next year but he's got great stuff.

If Konerko, A.J, Quentin, and Bobby go I will have no problem with Kenny signing one or two big names to fill one void and let the young ones play. Viciedo and Morel seem to be rising and could create an interesting balance. Viciedo is a power bat that could be far more powerful than any of us have thought. I am talking Thomas power, and what's more impressive is he has got a tendency to score runs. His runs scored is higher than his RBI which is shocking considering how he barely draws any walks.

I assume Morel will be a .270 bat with decent power, but will make up for it with an outstanding glove. We know what Alexei brings to the table, and Beckham had a down year, but with a year to get his head together I have reason to assume he could be a .280 or even higher hitter which would do us wonders.

Pierre is a lock, and so is Rios which is not bad at all since they are speedy and provide much of the run production on this club.

Again, I think all of this has to work IF the Sox sign a big name. I'm talking the likes of Dunn or Fielder. You get that, and re-up Manny as a dh and you should be set to go for a good run at it next year.

Nellie_Fox
10-03-2010, 11:23 PM
I assume Morel will be a .270 bat with decent power...You're assuming a real lot. He looks more like a .230-.240 hitter with barely average power. He look terrific defensively, and I'm more of a defense-first guy, so I'm ok with that, but I don't see him hitting anywhere near .270.

You get that, and re-up Manny as a dh and you should be set to go for a good run at it next year.Please, please, no Manny. My dislike for him as a human being aside, what in the world did you see from him that makes you want him back in a Sox uniform???

JB98
10-03-2010, 11:37 PM

I'm willing to go with Morel. He can pick it. I want grounders to the left side of the infield caught, and Morel catches them.

I don't want to see Flowers at all. I think Viciedo's day might come, but he's not ready yet. He's going to have to hit an awful lot to make up for his stone hands in the field.

tacosalbarojas
10-03-2010, 11:43 PM
As others have said, no to Mr PED Flowers, and a big NO to Manny. I haven't heard Ozzie questioning Viciedo in at least a week, and that's good, because he will play somewhere everyday in 2011 for us. He's simply too good offensively not to.

Nellie_Fox
10-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Viciedo ...[is] simply too good offensively not to.He is potentially good offensively. He's not there yet. Counting on him as an every day player for next year scares me. He's not good defensively, and has a long way to go at the plate.

JB98
10-04-2010, 12:17 AM
He is potentially good offensively. He's not there yet. Counting on him as an every day player for next year scares me. He's not good defensively, and has a long way to go at the plate.

Agreed. I see potential. I know why some posters like the guy. But I believe he needs another year in the minors.

SoxSpeed22
10-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I would rather see Viciedo in 2012. The potential is there, but he's not there yet. He did improve from the first time we saw him. Flowers' swing is too long and doesn't offer much defensively. I would expect Morel to hit around .245, with 15 home runs, but as long as he can play great defense, he should be fine.

Dick Allen
10-04-2010, 01:30 PM
As good as Morel is defensively, it's going to depend on what else we have in our batting order to determine whether we can live with his .230-.240 BA with average power, for what is considered a power position.

russ99
10-04-2010, 01:44 PM
With Viciedo, you think it's possible to move him to RF as a way to get him into the lineup? He does have a good enough arm to play 3B...

I'd think if we don't bring Konerko back, that Kenny would go out and get a 1B.

That would put Quentin at DH, where I'm sure most of us think he belongs.

Foulke You
10-04-2010, 02:07 PM
With Viciedo, you think it's possible to move him to RF as a way to get him into the lineup? He does have a good enough arm to play 3B...

I'd think if we don't bring Konerko back, that Kenny would go out and get a 1B.

That would put Quentin at DH, where I'm sure most of us think he belongs.
It is certainly possible but you better be prepared for some Carlos Lee/Carlos Quentin-esque defense in RF. I'd rather see Viciedo at DH or 1B. I see him hurting the team defensively anywhere else on the diamond.

Foulke You
10-04-2010, 02:09 PM
I very much see Gavin Floyd or John Danks being sent in a trade for an impact bat.
I would include Edwin Jackson on your list of pitchers that could be moved. Edwin graduated from "Don Cooper School" and had a very solid 2 months for us but his $8 million salary and expiring contract makes him someone that I could see Kenny parting with for the right hitter.

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't want Prince? :scratch:

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't want Prince? :scratch:No, because I believe that whoever gets him will have to give way too much money for way too many years. His body type does not bode well for a long and productive career.

russ99
10-04-2010, 03:13 PM
It is certainly possible but you better be prepared for some Carlos Lee/Carlos Quentin-esque defense in RF. I'd rather see Viciedo at DH or 1B. I see him hurting the team defensively anywhere else on the diamond.

Well, I don't want to restart any DH arguments, but IMO there's little chance of Viciedo as a regular DH for us next year.

Quentin's career could depend on him not playing the field as much.

DirtySox
10-04-2010, 03:15 PM
No, because I believe that whoever gets him will have to give way too much money for way too many years. His body type does not bode well for a long and productive career.

I don't think the Sox would be able to afford him. Also, he's still under contract for next season.

Noneck
10-04-2010, 03:28 PM

I dont think any fat guy is worth big money, long term.

ewokpelts
10-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't think the Sox would be able to afford him. Also, he's still under contract for next season.
but is he worth a rental? because he WILL leave the sox.

asindc
10-04-2010, 03:41 PM

No, because I believe that whoever gets him will have to give way too much money for way too many years. His body type does not bode well for a long and productive career.

It's not that I don't want him, I just don't want him at the price he'll ultimately get from some other team. I'm with NF on this one. I see him breaking down once he gets north of 30, maybe sooner.

Tragg
10-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Well, I don't want to restart any DH arguments, but IMO there's little chance of Viciedo as a regular DH for us next year.

Quentin's career could depend on him not playing the field as much.
You take Viciedo, Quentin, maybe add a mediocre player like Overbay, then and get a real, elite RF. That way, we'll have a little depth too. And you get your DHs who can play defense, as Ozzie wants.

Just don't do the usual disposal tactic and give Viciedo away.

guillensdisciple
10-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Adam Dunn, anyone?

DickAllen72
10-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Adam Dunn, anyone?
He says he doesn't want to be a DH, so no.

If he changes his mind and wants to be a full-time DH, I'd be happy with Viciedo at 1B and Dunn at DH. But knowing Ozzie, I'm afraid we'd see Dunn playing a lot of 1B plus some OF along with DHing. That would suck.

VMSNS
10-04-2010, 08:03 PM

If he changes his mind and wants to be a full-time DH, I'd be happy with Viciedo at 1B and Dunn at DH. But knowing Ozzie, I'm afraid we'd see Dunn playing a lot of 1B plus some OF along with DHing. That would suck.

Roy Halladay also said he didn't want to pitch in the NL because he didn't want to swing the bat. Look where he ended up.

...just saying. :D:

Domeshot17
10-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Adam Dunn, anyone?

He hits home runs and strikes out, WSI says that is bad, pass. :tongue:

DirtySox
10-04-2010, 08:41 PM
He hits home runs and strikes out, WSI says that is bad, pass. :tongue:

Ugh at those threads.

oldgrouch
10-05-2010, 09:21 AM

As long as we share a city with the Cubs we could be considered a small
market club.

Tragg
10-05-2010, 09:29 AM
The Sox are in no position to rent another player. Foolishness.

SI1020
10-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I'd be happy with Viciedo at 1B Viciedo has been terrible defensively at 3B, and lousy at 1B.

soltrain21
10-05-2010, 10:10 AM
As long as we share a city with the Cubs we could be considered a small
market club.

Nope. I'm not buying that.

DirtySox
10-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Adam Dunn, anyone?

He might be a Type B free agent. I'm much more in favor of signing him if the Sox aren't to lose a 1st round draft pick.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/10/adam-dunn-type-b-free-agent.html

soxfanreggie
10-05-2010, 05:49 PM

For the right contract, I'm guessing he'd change his tune. I'm not saying that we should overpay, but I'm guessing he'd take winning and a great payday if it meant having to DH more.