PDA

View Full Version : Who wants Paulie back?

Rikirk
10-03-2010, 05:13 PM
I certainly do...
maybe AJ too.
C'mon...show some love.

manders_01
10-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Me :yoohoo:

soxfanreggie
10-03-2010, 05:18 PM
I'll take PK back, and we may have to have AJ back for the next season while we try to develop a catcher, acquire one by trade, or sign one. If we can get him to agree to a good deal, I'm for AJ in 2011, maybe 2012 if he has something left to start the year.

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2010, 05:19 PM
I do. But not at a cost that prevents the Sox from addressing other critical needs.

LITTLE NELL
10-03-2010, 05:19 PM
No question about it, I want him back and for him to end his career in Chicago.
If he does not come back there is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.
I want AJ back also, who is going to take his place? If we were going to rebuild, you go with Flowers but KW said the Sox are not in the rebuilding stage.
With the potential of our starting 5 the Sox have to spend some money on bringing PK and Ak back or pick up Dunn or someone like Andre Ethier.

DickAllen72
10-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I'll take PK back, and we may have to have AJ back for the next season while we try to develop a catcher, acquire one by trade, or sign one. If we can get him to agree to a good deal, I'm for AJ in 2011, maybe 2012 if he has something left to start the year.
Give AJ 3 years, $15M.

Give Paulie 3 years, $30M.

Rockabilly
10-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I hope we sign Konerko

Rikirk
10-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Question and or point?...

What is PK worth?
Do you think the Sox will offer it to him?
Will he take it?

DirtySox
10-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Meh. Depends on the price. Ballantini said it sounds like payroll is going to be down next year.

soxlady8
10-03-2010, 05:25 PM
I think Paulie will be gone.
His words spoken at the end of the game surely sounded like he was gone.
I cried for a minute or two . Heck , I grew up really watching Sox baseball with Paulie being the franchise player.

I think the Sox will try to get AJ for another year
and let Tflow grind it out for another year in the minors. Then if Tflow cannot get it together , they will look for other options. I hope Castro is back ,as he has been a solid back up catcher.

It should be an interesting off season.
I anticipate hearing stuff pretty soon , not waiting and waiting until December/January .

soxfanreggie
10-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Give AJ 3 years, $15M.

Give Paulie 3 years, $30M.

Do you think it would take 3 years to sign AJ? That would give him 10 seasons with the Sox, and my hope is we would have someone ready to take over in 2013 at the latest.

I'd rather the 3rd year deal be a club option with a $500k or $1M buyout. The $1.25M savings per year on what his salary was would help in other areas though.

DirtySox
10-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Do you think it would take 3 years to sign AJ? That would give him 10 seasons with the Sox, and my hope is we would have someone ready to take over in 2013 at the latest.

I'd rather the 3rd year deal be a club option with a $500k or $1M buyout. The $1.25M savings per year on what his salary was would help in other areas though.

No kidding. 3 guaranteed years of AJ would be scary.

MarySwiss
10-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Paulie, come back! :smile:

DickAllen72
10-03-2010, 05:29 PM
No kidding. 3 guaranteed years of AJ would be scary.
Scary good that is. Then he can either move to the booth or the coaching staff.

ChiSoxGal85
10-03-2010, 05:30 PM
I want Paulie back. I'd like to see him finish his career here. I'd like AJ back too, at least for one more year or maybe 2. Who would we get to replace him? I don't think Flowers is ready yet.

EDIT: and not that i have any reason to believe this might happen...but if Sox don't resign Paul and the Twins sign him, I will puke my guts out.

sox1970
10-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Above anything else, I want a winning team next year. If that means they plug two holes with Paulie's money and let him go, that's fine.

The sad thing is they've spent so much money on Peavy, Rios, Teahen, Jackson and Manny Ramirez. These moves have to equate to division championships, not just above .500 seasons. If they don't win next season, Kenny should be fired.

DirtySox
10-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Scary good that is. Then he can either move to the booth or the coaching staff.

Yuck.

TomBradley72
10-03-2010, 06:04 PM
I want him back 100%. I'd try to sign him to a 3 year deal with plan for a long term transition to DH as he gets older through splitting his time with Viciedo.

2011- PK- 75% 1B/25% DH, Viciedo- 25% 1B, 75% DH
2012- PK- 50% 1B/50% DH, Viciedo- 50% 1B, 50% DH
2013- PK- 25% 1B/75% DH, Viciedo- 75% 1B, 25% DH

I don't know if the specific percentages are right, but this would allow Viciedo time to improve his defense, and gives you a relatively cheap DH which helps you afford PK.

PK becomes the main veteran with a young group of infielders.

soltrain21
10-03-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't know. Depends on quite a few things.

Domeshot17
10-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Konerko earns more of his 12 a year then Buehrle does of his 14. I would trade Burls in a heart beat to keep Konerko (factoring in a return for Mark as well). However, I have a feeling Konerko would would be reluctant to stay if Buehrle was dealt.

Konerko was the one bright spot on the offense all year (Rios was solid, but really tailed off after a hot first few months). We already need to add 2 hitters ideally that hit in the top 6, Losing PK means adding 3.

WSox597
10-03-2010, 06:40 PM
I hope to see PK back, he's my personal favorite current player, and is the face of the franchise right now.

I wish he would have reached 40 HRs, but the win is more important in the grand scheme of things.

I will understand if he goes elsewhere for more money, though. Especially if he does it to escape the circus atmosphere that sometimes surrounds Ozzie and his brood.

kaufsox
10-03-2010, 09:54 PM
PK back for sure, but I wonder what the price will be, I think 10 mil will be a lowball, he's coming off a great year and he'll get multiple offers.

AJ is tricker, he definitely had a down year and is it just a fluke, or is he trending downward? He plays the hardest position on the field so it has to be taking a toll. Also as the adage says, "rather part ways a year early than a year late."

Railsplitter
10-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I do, but I'm not optimistic about it.

Viva Medias B's
10-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Count me in.

Hegewisch
10-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Yes. I get frustrated with everyone but it still looks good and like 2005 when I see Jenks, A.J., Konerko, Buehrle and Ozzie.

hi im skot
10-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Yes.

I won't be surprised if he's gone, though.

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2010, 12:25 AM
I definitely want Paulie back, and don't see any reasonable alternative to AJ.

Sam Spade
10-04-2010, 12:28 AM
I definitely want Paulie back, and don't see any reasonable alternative to AJ.
Me too. I don't see any reason why the sox can't find a way to do this considering how much they were able to spend this year. For one, they should part ways with bobby jenks.

JB98
10-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Definitely want Konerko back. He's still our best player.

VMSNS
10-04-2010, 12:38 AM
I'd love to have Konerko back....at the right price. I think the chances of him replicating what he did this year are slim, although I still expect him to produce at a high level.

I think 2 years 25 million would probably be the most I'd offer him. Unfortunately, a lot of teams will probably offer more than that, so I pray that Paul is willing to take a hometown discount.

Daver
10-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Definitely want Konerko back. He's still our best player.

We will agree to disagree on that.

BadBobbyJenks
10-04-2010, 12:43 AM
I don't know, his range at first base is concerning...

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't know, his range at first base is concerning...I'm a defense guy, but if there's any position that's offense-first its 1B. As long as he can dig throws out of the dirt like he does, he earns his keep defensively. Besides, any of the alternatives (Dunn, Viciedo) that are being tossed around will be considerably worse defensively.

JB98
10-04-2010, 01:14 AM
We will agree to disagree on that.

Who would you say is better? I'm interested to know....

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-04-2010, 01:16 AM
I'd love to see the Sox re-sign him. I got this bad feeling he won't though, and I doubt it's going to be entirely his doing.

Daver
10-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Who would you say is better? I'm interested to know....

Alex Rios is a marginal five tool player, Alexei Ramirez has four, and Gordon Beckham is a work in progress, but could have four as well. Paul has three on a good day.

That being said, I hope the Sox bring him back, the thought of Viciedo at first for a full season scares me.

JB98
10-04-2010, 01:32 AM
Alex Rios is a marginal five tool player, Alexei Ramirez has four, and Gordon Beckham is a work in progress, but could have four as well. Paul has three on a good day.

That being said, I hope the Sox bring him back, the thought of Viciedo at first for a full season scares me.

I'd agree that Konerko doesn't have the most tools. That said, I think Konerko is more productive with his three tools than Ramirez is with his four, or Rios is with his marginal five. You're right; we'll agree to disagree.

But we won't disagree about Viciedo. Anytime I see a glove on that kid's hand, it worries me.

StillMissOzzie
10-04-2010, 01:43 AM
Well, PK picked a fine time to have perhaps his best season ever. I can see negotiations starting with "Why should my client suffer a pay cut?", although I think most everyone would agree that PK has peaked, is getting a bit long in the tooth, and won't ever have a season like 2010 again.
That said, and in the spirit of the 3 year sliding scale of 1B & DH duty proposed by TomBradley72, I respectfully submit this offer: 3 Yrs/ $30M, paid as $12m / $10M / $8M as he migrates to DH duty.

The Sox already have a lot of cabbage tied up in just a few players - Rios, Peavy, Buehrle - next year, and I would not like the Sox to be hamstrung by payroll constraints if Peavy's recovery is not looking good.

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: One more thing - the "home town" discount that PK gave the Sox last go-round might not be available this time. It will be very interesting to see what other offers come in.

palehozenychicty
10-04-2010, 02:40 AM
I would love for him to return, but it is not looking good right now. The team has a lot of needs with no money and little depth on the farm.

As far as AJ, I think it's just time. I don't think Flowers is ready, but a decent catcher can be found as a stopgap.

Sam Spade
10-04-2010, 03:23 AM
I think most everyone would agree that PK has peaked, is getting a bit long in the tooth, and won't ever have a season like 2010 again.

I think it would be foolish to rule out another career year as a possibility, like so many people, myself included, did before this year. There is no reason why he can't have as good a year next year with one more year on his "teeth". Don't get me wrong, I think its unlikely.

soxfanreggie
10-04-2010, 06:04 AM
I just wonder where he would go that he'd have a better chance to compete for the playoffs. I just don't see him having a lot of options similar to the chances he would have with the Sox. He'll have a few, but it's not like the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. are going to make a play for him, and I can't see him wanting to toil with the D'Backs while they rebuild so he can be closer to his offseason home.

asindc
10-04-2010, 08:42 AM
I just wonder where he would go that he'd have a better chance to compete for the playoffs. I just don't see him having a lot of options similar to the chances he would have with the Sox. He'll have a few, but it's not like the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. are going to make a play for him, and I can't see him wanting to toil with the D'Backs while they rebuild so he can be closer to his offseason home.

There is a chance that Boston will make a play with the idea of signing PK instead of Beltre and moving Youkilis back to 3rd. LAAAAAAA might make a play and move Morales to DH or platoon him with Morales at 1B/DH, though I like the Sox' prospects going forward more than LAAAAAA's. SF could also make a play for him. I think a number of teams that are likely to contend in 2011 will at least make a serious inquiry.

ChiSoxGirl
10-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Do I want Paulie back? A thousand times yes!!!!

ewokpelts
10-04-2010, 09:07 AM
not really. especially after his boneheaded comments thursday and sunday

Dan H
10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
I want Konerko back. He has put a face and an identity on the franchise. But both sides have to be reasonable. Konerko has to realize he is in his mid '30's and the White Sox have to pay him something. Mature adults should be able to work this out. I know Paul wants money but he's already earned millions. He may be sorry if he puts money as a priority and the Sox could be sorry if they low ball him. Are there any mature adults involved in this?

Red Barchetta
10-04-2010, 09:21 AM

I like Paulie and I would like to have him retire with the SOX. I think he has a couple more years at 1B with a season or two as the primary DH to end his career. However, at the right price.

I agree that he has had some ill-timed comments this season. When the SOX were chasing the Twins during the stretch run, his "the world won't end if we don't win the division" comment was poorly timed. Of course the world won't end, however it's obvious that most of the fans were more passionate about winning the division than he was.

I know he is a "silent leader" and that he's never going to be a brash, in-your-face leader, however he should know by now when NOT to say anything. :angry:

Harry Chappas
10-04-2010, 10:48 AM
I want PK back - for the right price.

I want nothing to do with A.J. for 3 years guaranteed. He was hitting a hefty .230 midway through August and was among the players whose offense didn't show up to start the season. Now he's hitting .270 - which is respectable - but it's misleading.

But I don't think Flowers is the answer nor do I hold out much hope that he'll ever be more than an average backstop. I'd resign Castro and try to get A.J. to sign a 2-year deal.

guillensdisciple
10-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Love Paulie to death, but I am split 50/50 on this one. In a way, I kind of want to move into a new direction with the team. Get new leaders, allow this team to become a different entity.

Paul is a hell of a captain, but having a vocal one would be nice for once.

hawkjt
10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I want PK back.
Sox need PK back.

I want AJ back.
Sox need AJ back...no alternative.

I love MB but if they decided to trade him in the offseason to a NL team like the Cards or Phillies...I could live with it if it meant that 14 million would allow for rebuilding with PK and AJ and good prospects received for MB.

We have more good starters than 1st basemen/hitters,or catchers.

TaylorStSox
10-04-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm a defense guy, but if there's any position that's offense-first its 1B. As long as he can dig throws out of the dirt like he does, he earns his keep defensively. Besides, any of the alternatives (Dunn, Viciedo) that are being tossed around will be considerably worse defensively.

I've seen Carlos Pena's name tossed around. He has a ton of power and a good glove, if I remember correctly. We'd be buying low which is KW's m.o. It would fill a need from the left side. It would also give us flexibility to make up the offensive difference by adding an OF via trade or FA.

FielderJones
10-04-2010, 02:55 PM

PK's hitting, power, and ability to pick bad throws at 1B for 162 games outweigh any boneheaded comments said on two days.

I'd like to see him come back and finish his career with the Sox. I hope management has the resources to convince him to stay. Seeing Paulie in another uniform would make me sick.

ewokpelts
10-04-2010, 03:18 PM
PK's hitting, power, and ability to pick bad throws at 1B for 162 games outweigh any boneheaded comments said on two days.

I'd like to see him come back and finish his career with the Sox. I hope management has the resources to convince him to stay. Seeing Paulie in another uniform would make me sick.
i for one wont miss his innate abilty to hit into double plays on a near daily basis. or his ****ty numbers these last few non-contract years

canOcorn
10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
I've seen Carlos Pena's name tossed around. He has a ton of power and a good glove, if I remember correctly. We'd be buying low which is KW's m.o. It would fill a need from the left side.

It better be buying really low since he hit below .200 this year with 46 XBH. Actually, no price would be low enough....Pass.

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2010, 03:31 PM
i for one wont miss his innate abilty to hit into double plays on a near daily basis. This is a myth. Konerko was 8th on the team this year in GiDP with 9 (Rios had 21,) despite all seven worse than him having fewer plate appearances. Next?

FielderJones
10-04-2010, 04:04 PM
i for one wont miss his innate abilty to hit into double plays on a near daily basis. or his ****ty numbers these last few non-contract years

This is a myth. Konerko was 8th on the team this year in GiDP with 9 (Rios had 21,) despite all seven worse than him having fewer plate appearances. Next?

Fantasy: near daily basis

Reality (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/7791/paul-konerko): 9 times in 149 games

But don't let reality get in the way of a good rant. :rolleyes:

ewokpelts
10-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Fantasy: near daily basis

Reality (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/7791/paul-konerko): 9 times in 149 games

But don't let reality get in the way of a good rant. :rolleyes:well, this IS a contract year.
oh, and he had plenty of at bats where he lead off or already had 2 outs. then all bets are ****ing off with him.

konerko 14
10-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I want AJ and PK both back

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
...he had plenty of at bats where he lead off or already had 2 outs. then all bets are ****ing off with him.Yeah, that's why he led the team in RBI. Give it up; you repeated a WSI standard and got proved wrong.

Hitmen77
10-04-2010, 05:08 PM

If PK leaves, he's not going to be as easy to replace as people think. No, I don't expect another .310 year out of him next year but his bat will still be tough to replace.

I like Viciedo's upside, but get ready for some impatient, angry fans next year if he's our opening day 1B and is not quite ready to be a consistent hitter for us.

.....and like you said, it's not just the offense. It's easy to not notice Konerko defense but a downgrade defensively at 1B could become more of a headache than many realize.

soxfanreggie
10-05-2010, 12:04 AM
well, this IS a contract year.
oh, and he had plenty of at bats where he lead off or already had 2 outs. then all bets are ****ing off with him.

So you get proven wrong trying to make your point and then bring up he's in a contract year and how he had at-bats where he didn't have a chance to hit into a DP? (certainly all the Sox players ahead of him wouldn't have had the same thing) Weak, very weak. Please spare us and just come out and say, "I don't want PK back." if that is your schtick.

russ99
10-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I've seen Carlos Pena's name tossed around. He has a ton of power and a good glove, if I remember correctly. We'd be buying low which is KW's m.o. It would fill a need from the left side. It would also give us flexibility to make up the offensive difference by adding an OF via trade or FA.

The other guy that could be a possibility if Paulie doesn't come back is Derrek Lee. He's may be less expensive than the other options, freeing up cash to add a RF/DH or an impact closer.

He's got a better glove then all other FA options, is an all-around good hitter, and power won't drop off much from Wrigley if healthy. Plus, he played with Ozzie when he was a coach in Florida.

asindc
10-05-2010, 10:15 AM
The other guy that could be a possibility if Paulie doesn't come back is Derrek Lee. He's may be less expensive than the other options, freeing up cash to add a RF/DH or an impact closer.

He's got a better glove then all other FA options, is an all-around good hitter, and power won't drop off much from Wrigley if healthy. Plus, he played with Ozzie when he was a coach in Florida.

I like this idea if the price is right, mainly because I think Lee will benefit from DHing. While he will be 35 on Opening Day, I think signing him to a 2-yr. contract might allow KW to go after Crawford or Beltre. With Lee, there would be no dropoff defensively, maybe even a slight upgrade with his better range.

slavko
10-05-2010, 10:44 AM
More likely to see Viciedo at 1B not D Lee. They have to find a spot for him and his big bat. Getting another 1B would be counterproductive in that respect. Speaking of Lee's range, isn't his failure to dive for a ground ball over first base what set Zambrano off on his Big Tirade? And speaking of diving, when is the last time you remember PK diving for a ground ball? The answer is never, because he doesn't even have fall-down range. Nor does he stretch for throws, so consider that besides his ability to dig low throws when praising his fielding.

If you didn't get a chance to say goodbye to Paulie, you won't have another, IMO.

soxinem1
10-05-2010, 12:14 PM
PK is going to stay if he wants to and the White Sox want him. But you have to be realistic. If he wants anything close to what he is getting per season now he can go, and I love Konerko. But to expect anything from him more than .275-....280 AVG, 25-30 HR, and 85-95 RBI over the next 2-3 seasons is unrealistic.

I offer him 3 years, $30 million. If ARI, LAD, LAAA, or anyone else want to offer him $15 million per, they can have him.

Honestly, looking at the expression on Konerko's face when he saluted the crowd, he showed a look of 'finality'. I think he is gone.

The other issue with PK, like 2005, is the DH/3B slot. If KW decides he wants to gamble with both Morel and Viciedo, Konerko will not stay, just like it took getting Thome to keep him last time he was a FA. KW will have to get another solid hitter (keep Manny or re-aquire Thome, perhaps??) to back up Paulie in the order.

I think AJ stays at two years, $10 million with a few incentives for games played. I cannot see KW going after Victor Martinez or anyone like him, so he is the best option.

To me, I think Tyler Flowers = Joel Skinner. Slow bat, can't throw anyone out, marginal defensively. I just do not see him being an everyday MLB catcher.

asindc
10-05-2010, 12:23 PM
More likely to see Viciedo at 1B not D Lee. They have to find a spot for him and his big bat. Getting another 1B would be counterproductive in that respect. Speaking of Lee's range, isn't his failure to dive for a ground ball over first base what set Zambrano off on his Big Tirade? And speaking of diving, when is the last time you remember PK diving for a ground ball? The answer is never, because he doesn't even have fall-down range. Nor does he stretch for throws, so consider that besides his ability to dig low throws when praising his fielding.

If you didn't get a chance to say goodbye to Paulie, you won't have another, IMO.

No, it was Zambrano's perception that Lee failed to dive for a ground ball within range that set Big Z off.

Law11
10-05-2010, 02:59 PM
me. I want him back.:crossfingers:

slavko
10-05-2010, 09:59 PM
To me, I think Tyler Flowers = Joel Skinner. Slow bat, can't throw anyone out, marginal defensively. I just do not see him being an everyday MLB catcher.

Can too. But that's all he can do, right now.

A. Cavatica
10-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Most people probably want him back. I do not. He had a career year and he deserves credit for it, but I don't think he'll come close to it again at 36, when he's not playing for a contract.

Vicideo and Flowers ought to be pretty good hitters, and they're cheap and under team control for years. Time to wish PK well and spend the money in areas where we have to dip into free agency.

SoxSpeed22
10-05-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't think Paulie is coming back, I think he wants to go out west. Especially with the way everything was in the last game.
But, I do not think Viciedo is ready to replace him yet full-time. I think he needs another year in Charlotte, or at most, put him in a platoon spot with someone else (before anyone says it, it's not going to be Kotsay).

Rdy2PlayBall
10-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Man, every quote he says sounds like he's saying good bye. Damn, it's getting frustrating. I know he is just being save, making sure he get's everything out in case he doesn't come back... but God, it's getting depressing. I really hope he comes back, he my favorite White Sox player I've seen play... easily.

doublem23
10-06-2010, 05:04 AM

Yes, Konerko never (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11715985) ever (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11384263) ever (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10914283) ever (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10815069) ever (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10273825) dives for ground balls.

FielderJones
10-06-2010, 12:33 PM
And speaking of diving, when is the last time you remember PK diving for a ground ball? The answer is never, because he doesn't even have fall-down range.

Yes, Konerko never (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11715985) ever (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11384263) ever (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10914283) ever (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10815069) ever (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10273825) dives for ground balls.

Doub, do you ever get blisters on your fingers after burning someone that bad? :D:

kufram
10-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Every once in a while you have a player that gets a pass on diving wildly at grounders (but Paulie's defense needs no defense) and charging around the bases with reckless abandon...

PK is one of those rare exceptions to the hustle on everything rule. Frank was another one. I can't think of any others in recent history.

MetroPD
10-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I can't believe people are questioning Paulie's defensive abilities. He's not an all time great but he isn't terrible either. As for Lee, I don't see him coming here not ever and not sure if I want to. He didn't quite set the world on fire with Atlanta and for similar money I'd rather have the guy thats been on the Sox through thick and thin. Bring back Paulie

ghostface36
10-07-2010, 06:55 PM
i definitely want paulie back but their gonna have to repay him for that home town discount he took after the was so i'd expect 3/35 would be good for him
idk think we should re-sign AJ unless he starts throwing people out, i know he 'calls a great game' and is a 'warrior' behind the plate but so is a guy like miguel olivo except he can throw dudes out. But i imagine the sox will re-sign and overpay aj but he really needs to start playing if we do re sign him

WhiteSox5187
10-07-2010, 07:04 PM
i definitely want paulie back but their gonna have to repay him for that home town discount he took after the was so i'd expect 3/35 would be good for him
idk think we should re-sign AJ unless he starts throwing people out, i know he 'calls a great game' and is a 'warrior' behind the plate but so is a guy like miguel olivo except he can throw dudes out. But i imagine the sox will re-sign and overpay aj but he really needs to start playing if we do re sign him

The White Sox hated the way Olivo called games.

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2010, 01:05 AM
idk think we should re-sign AJ unless he starts throwing people out, i know he 'calls a great game' and is a 'warrior' behind the plate but so is a guy like miguel olivo except he can throw dudes out. But i imagine the sox will re-sign and overpay aj but he really needs to start playing if we do re sign himI ran out of breath reading that.

PalehosePlanet
10-08-2010, 01:15 PM
The White Sox hated the way Olivo called games.

Things can change, however, in six years time.

Maybe we should bring in John Buck so all of WSI can cry ad nauseam about ex-Royals.

Regarding Paulie: My guess is he signs with the Yanks or Angels at about 2/25. The Yankees current DH is Marcus Thames, and the Angels will probably let Matsui walk.

kaufsox
10-08-2010, 01:27 PM

Maybe we should bring in John Buck so all of WSI can cry ad nauseam about ex-Royals.

Regarding Paulie: My guess is he signs with the Yanks or Angels at about 2/25. The Yankees current DH is Marcus Thames, and the Angels will probably let Matsui walk.

ugh. That is a good point, though. I think in that two team race, LA wins out. It seems to be rather common knowledge PK would like to move west. Having said that though, two things: 1) is Paulie actually on record stating this or is it just assumed because he lives in AZ and 2) If anyone is going to overpay and not blink it's the Yanks, bastards. PS read my latest blog, I'm really happy with it, which is quite rare for me. :smile:

ghostface36
10-09-2010, 01:25 AM
I ran out of breath reading that.
i post stream of consciousness style

Nellie_Fox
10-09-2010, 01:45 AM
i post stream of consciousness styleYeah, well . . .:haddock:

When you post, is it for you, or for others to read?

Frater Perdurabo
10-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Yeah, well . . .:haddock:

When you post, is it for you, or for others to read?

At least it's not "stream of urine style"

soxfanreggie
10-12-2010, 12:30 PM

I wonder what the Sox interest in Matsui would be as a one-year rental. He made $6 million last season and hit .274 with 21 HRs and 84 RBIs. He also played most of his "good baseball" later in the season, finishing with a .304 average in August, .344 in September, and .429 in October (a bit misleading for October since he only had 7 at-bats).

Matsui isn't going to hit 30+ HRs for you, but if you can bring him in at under $8 million, he might afford you enough to sign someone like Dunn. If Dunn needed to DH a few games, Matsui could always play some LF. He could also switch off a few games a month with TCQ in the OF.