PDA

View Full Version : *Official* That's All Folks, Sox 6, Tribe 5; Ozzie's #600 win

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Considering the awful start this team had, winning 88 games is pretty good.

DirtySox
10-03-2010, 03:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/DertyFoot/Paulie.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2010, 03:48 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/DertyFoot/Paulie.jpg

His facial expression in that moment makes it look like he's about to cry.

I hope he returns in 2011.

SoxSpeed22
10-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Few regrets, but overall, nice job boys.
Also, Nancy will be missed.

thomas35forever
10-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks for a memorable season, Sox. See you in February, hopefully with Paulie and AJ back.

Nancy, enjoy your retirement.

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2010, 03:50 PM
So we finish 6 games behind the Twins.

I think just about any of us can find six winnable games that the Sox should have won.

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Buehrle just doused AJ and Paulie with Gatorade. :bandance:

manders_01
10-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Like going out with a win! A very bittersweet game though being it's the last for Nancy and possibly the last for several of my favorite players.

Sox baseball, you will be missed. Here's hoping for a short winter!!! :gulp:

manders_01
10-03-2010, 03:53 PM
His facial expression in that moment makes it look like he's about to cry.

I hope he returns in 2011.

That's exactly what I thought as well, made me tear up. Love you Paulie!!!

Bucky F. Dent
10-03-2010, 03:54 PM
When do pitchers and catchers report?

russ99
10-03-2010, 03:56 PM

2nd week of February... :whiner:

October26
10-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Not soon enough!

Nice win for our Sox today, although it is bittersweet, with so many unknowns going into next season. Thank goodness we have WSI to stay connected to each other and to White Sox baseball during the off-season. I hate when White sox baseball comes to an end every season when we don't make the playoffs.

I too will miss my White sox.

manders_01

I'm not ready for Sox baseball to end. I want them to keep broadcasting. I don't even care if it's just the crew cleaning the seats, I'm not ready to change the channel! :whiner:

LITTLE NELL
Congrats to Ozzie on #600.
For some reason this is the saddest I've felt in ages that a season has come to an end. Maybe because we may never see PK or AJ in a Sox uniform again and for sure no more Nancy.
I love my White Sox.

Bucky F. Dent
10-03-2010, 03:59 PM

I'm excited for that, regardless of how the FAs turn out, this could be a very strong team next year.

spawn
10-03-2010, 04:00 PM
This was a very entertaining season. I regret Sox baseball being over. However, I will say I loved watching:

- Alexei's growth this season

- Paulie having the monster season he had

- Juan Pierre had a very solid season

- Old man Vizquel showing everyone he wasn't too old to play the game, and for being worthy of the #11 on the back of his jersey

- Alex Rios being the dependable CF'er we knew he could be

- The emergergence of Brent Morel as a legitimate option for 3rd base next season

- Chris Sale

Most of all, good or bad, I've enjoyed talknig White Sox baseball with some of the most knowledgeable Sox fans on the internet. Here's to an exciting offseason. Go Sox!!! :gulp:

guillensdisciple
10-03-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't think Paulie is coming back. Something tells me the Sox are going into a new direction. Burls will be the only one left from the 2005 team.

LITTLE NELL
10-03-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't think Paulie is coming back. Something tells me the Sox are going into a new direction. Burls will be the only one left from the 2005 team.

If he is not coming back I sure hope they have someone in the cross-hairs thats going to come in and hit 35Hrs and drive in over 100.

spawn
10-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Please use this thread to discuss the final game of the season or reflecting on the season that has just ended. If you want to discuss the chances of Konerko coming back next season, please open a new thread.

Thank you.

vinny
10-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Considering the start we had, I'm OK with ending the season with 88 wins. Am I disappointed that we folded against the Twins and the AL Central most of the season? You bet. Can't wait to see what next spring holds.

DirtySox
10-03-2010, 04:07 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/925738614/DSCN1905_normal.JPG
ChuckGarfien (http://twitter.com/#%21/ChuckGarfien) Chuck Garfien
Instead of going for his 40th HR, Konerko told Ozzie to let Kotsay bat for him because he wanted Mark to get another at-bat.
21 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/ChuckGarfien/status/26300758351)

If you were wondering.

LITTLE NELL
10-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Instead of going for his 40th HR, Konerko told Ozzie to let Kotsay bat for him because he wanted Mark to get another at-bat.

If you were wondering.

Strange.

TaylorStSox
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM
If he is not coming back I sure hope they have someone in the cross-hairs thats going to come in and hit 35Hrs and drive in over 100.

Agreed. I wouldn't necassarily bet on Konerko to put up those numbers next season. I just think its too big of a gamble to invest 13 a year on him at this point in the season.

With that said it was a good year. If you would have told me that Beckham, Quentin and AJ would have ****ty years and we'd still win 88 games, I would have laughed. Couple that with losing Peavy for a great deal of the year and Jenks struggles it was a good year.

Dick Allen
10-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I only watched the 1st inning, but I noticed our buddy Brent Lillibridge struck out 4 times AGAIN. That's twice in 3 games, how often does it happen to a player even once in their careers. Not to worry, I'm sure Ozzie will find a spot for him next year.

soxlady8
10-03-2010, 04:17 PM
this was just posted as my status on FB --
I thought I would share it to sum up my feelings:

Today was the last day of the season for my team. I am very sad indeed . It appears Paulie is going to the west coast. If so , then AJ should NOT be TOAST. Up and down the roller coaster ride , but they fought so hard to stay alive. A winning season but no "October" ball. Thank You Paulie,Juany,Danks,Cuban Missle , + Omie , real stars of it ALL ! 2010 , you have been great , but February ... wow I cannot wait !!

wassagstdu
10-03-2010, 04:17 PM

If you were wondering.

Only one stat matters: W

October26
10-03-2010, 04:21 PM
this was just posted as my status on FB --
I thought I would share it to sum up my feelings:

Today was the last day of the season for my team. I am very sad indeed . It appears Paulie is going to the west coast. If so , then AJ should NOT be TOAST. Up and down the roller coaster ride , but they fought so hard to stay alive. A winning season but no "October" ball. Thank You Paulie,Juany,Danks,Cuban Missle , + Omie , real stars of it ALL ! 2010 , you have been great , but February ... wow I cannot wait !!

Nice! :thumbsup:

ode to veeck
10-03-2010, 04:22 PM

I think just about any of us can find six winnable games that the Sox should have won.

easily, even 6 just against the damn twinkies

Soxman219
10-03-2010, 04:25 PM
So sad for some reason, this was probably Paulie's last game here. :(:

LITTLE NELL
10-03-2010, 04:29 PM

The 6 games out is a little misleading. I look at how many games we were out when we were eliminated. I think it was 10 or 11.

Hitmen77
10-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Considering the awful start this team had, winning 88 games is pretty good.

Two years ago, this exact same record earned us a tie-breaking 163rd game. 88 games is a little better than I thought going into the season (I was thinking 84 or 85 games), but it wasn't good enough.

Better yet, we can easily find 3 winnable games vs. the Twins.:angry:

TheOldRoman
10-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I only watched the 1st inning, but I noticed our buddy Brent Lillibridge struck out 4 times AGAIN. That's twice in 3 games, how often does it happen to a player even once in their careers. Not to worry, I'm sure Ozzie will find a spot for him next year.Yes, a spot on the bench. And that is a spot he is well suited for. It isn't like he will platoon with Beckham next year.

Lip Man 1
10-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Hitmen:

The Sox lost five games EACH this season to both Minnesota and Detroit where they had a lead in the 7th inning or later.

In a nutshell, that's your division right there.

It was an interesting season to be sure. 88 wins is nothing to sneeze at but this team has a lot of off season work to do.

Lip

doublem23
10-03-2010, 04:53 PM
180 days until Opening Day

:whiner:

Dan H
10-03-2010, 04:55 PM
88 wins is certainly not a bad season, but I still look at 2010 as disappointing. Losing four straight series to Minnesota put a damper on things. That was an ugly way to get eliminated. In the last five loses to the Twins in US Cellular, the Sox got outscored 44-19. No excuse for that.

I know Konerko has his drawbacks but it is sad if he is not back with the club. He had a great career here.

It will be an interesting off season.

TomBradley72
10-03-2010, 04:56 PM
.543 winning percentage put the 2010 White Sox as the 36th highest in franchise history, out of 110 seasons. Just behind 2008, 1967, and just ahead of 1991, 1982.

GoGoCrede
10-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Very bittersweet. For all the complaining I've done in the past few weeks, I'm still going to miss our boys. It was a warm day - reminded me of Opening Day weather, actually. It was a nice bookend to the season for me, attending both the first and last games.

Loved seeing Paulie and AJ get major love from the crowd. They deserved it.

Tony Lucca screwed up the words to the anthem. Major secondhand embarrassment.

I was on my way to the ATM when I saw a huge line for Nancy. I got a photo OF her, but not WITH her, since the line was huge. It was good seeing her. Her final song, "This Used to be my Playground" and her final playing of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" made me tear up. She will be missed.

I was trying for a long time to think of a sentence that could sum this year's Sox to me, and finally I have it:

The 2010 White Sox: The good times were damn good.

See you next year, boys, as always. Re-sign Paulie. I made it to 30 games, and thus reached my goal of attending as many Sox games as I possibly could.

shingo10
10-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Like many people have said already, for some reason this was a very sad season closer. Maybe it's because this year's team really did fight every day to end up where they did and I guess it made it a lot of us fans feel more emotionally connected with the team.

There's always questions going into the offseason but this year it seems like there are so many more than in the past.

Hope the postseason is exciting and better than last year. Also can't wait for the wheeling and dealing to begin.

Daver
10-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Considering the fact that I expected a .500 record at best from this team, I have to consider this a good season.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-03-2010, 05:12 PM
On the broadcast, the last song I heard Nancy play (right after Na Na Hey Hey when the game ended) was "Never Can Say Goodbye." After that it went to canned music.

Perfect, in a number of ways.

Chez
10-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm glad I went. It was great to see the fans give Paulie and A.J. well deserved acknowledgment. Hard to imagine a Sox team without them both next year.

ChiSoxGal85
10-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I remember April and May all too well, and how it made me appreciate the run the Sox made after I'd all but given up on them. The June/July run was very fun, especially when I got to go to games in late June and early August to see some exciting wins.

The offseason will be interesting. But for now I'm liking the idea of Morel-Ramirez-Beckham-KONERKO (i hope) infield for next year. Let's see what else Kenny can do.

LongLiveFisk
10-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Overall a great day. Sox win and I got my "Perfect Game" pennant signed by Buehrle. :D:

I will miss Nancy though. I thought I was going to cry when they showed the video tribute. My nephew did go by her booth and got her to sign his ticket plus he got a picture with her. He said she was very teary-eyed. Bless her. :smile:

jdm2662
10-03-2010, 06:08 PM
I ventured to the ball park today. I usually don't go to late season games, but I had to be there for Nancy's last game. There was a very long line to see Nancy after the game.

The Sox were 4-0 on games I attended. Not a bad season, but could've been better. Oh well. It beats the late 80s...

SI1020
10-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Congrats to Ozzie on #600.
For some reason this is the saddest I've felt in ages that a season has come to an end. Maybe because we may never see PK or AJ in a Sox uniform again and for sure no more Nancy.
I love my White Sox. I felt the same way. What a roller coaster ride of a season, and now the season is conluded and the future is uncertain. I'm going to miss Nancy terribly and that's all I want to say about that issue.

Bucky F. Dent
10-03-2010, 06:18 PM
My goodness, Nancy's been performing for the Sox about as long as I've been alive. Going to Sox games w/o Nancy just won't be the same!

Thanks, Nancy! I'll miss you!

tacosalbarojas
10-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I ventured to the ball park today. I usually don't go to late season games, but I had to be there for Nancy's last game. There was a very long line to see Nancy after the game.

The Sox were 4-0 on games I attended. Not a bad season, but could've been better. Oh well. It beats the late 80s...
I was in the equally very long line before the game and got my pic...while we were in line at first the Sox said she wasn't going to come out until 12:30, then she saw the line I think and said she'd come out at 12. Class all the way. The best moment to me today when instead of Thornton's usual intro music, they let Nancy play "Classical Gas". Just perfect. Happy trails.

Brian26
10-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Anyone find clips of PK and AJ's standing ovations on MLB.com yet? I did a quick search and couldn't come up with them.

Brian26
10-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Reverse the 3-run Jenks Sunday meltdown and the Thornton meltdown against Thome, and the Sox finish two games back. This doesn't even account for the nonsense against Baltimore.

Yes, this division was very winnable.

WhiteSox5187
10-03-2010, 08:12 PM
This was one of the most maddening seasons I can recall, at the start of June 88 wins looked all but impossible, but by the end of July the playoffs seemed like a very real possibility, but then August shattered the dream.

The fact that this might be Paulie and AJ's last game in a Sox uniform and is the last time we'll hear Nancy at the ballpark makes this the saddest conclusion to a season I can ever remember.

Hegewisch
10-03-2010, 10:04 PM
It was a roller coaster season and it is sad to be over. We were winterizing our summer place in Michigan Saturday. As we were leaving (my wife and I drove separate) I told my wife to listen to the game on AM 670. After listening to Ed and Darren for 6 months I told her it was like 2 friends ready to pass away knowing I wouldn't hear them for 6 months. I also felt like I knew them personally. And, now for TV I have to wait 6 months to hear: "Yes, Yes ! Put It On The Board !!!":(: And, after going to at least 16 games at The Cell I will feel weird everytime I pass 35th Street when I am on the Dan Ryan.

Hey 2010 White Sox............
Thanks For The Memories. (and, the heartache, heartburn and heartwrenchings !!!):gulp:

gogosox675
10-03-2010, 10:22 PM
This is as sad as I have ever felt that it was the end of the baseball season. I really hope this isn't Paulie's last game with the Sox. He's been with the team since I started watching baseball; I just can't picture the team without him :(:. It has been a blast being on here every night talking about this team, though, good times or bad. I can't wait for next season to start.

BoysMom3
10-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Like going out with a win! A very bittersweet game though being it's the last for Nancy and possibly the last for several of my favorite players.

Sox baseball, you will be missed. Here's hoping for a short winter!!! :gulp:

Perfectly said, Manders. Here is to a very short winter. *sniff* The Paulie pic made me tear up too. Hoping to see him and AJ back - I love them.

hi im skot
10-03-2010, 10:46 PM
The last day of the baseball season is the saddest day of the year.

Nellie_Fox
10-03-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm always slightly depressed when the Sox play their last game. Nancy not coming back is hard to imagine. I was in Viet Nam for the whole season when she started with the Sox, but ever since then she's been part of my White Sox experience.

JB98
10-04-2010, 12:38 AM

Actually, Frater, all we'd need to do is find three winnable games against the Twins. That accounts for the six-game difference.

That 5-13 record against Minnesota destroyed an otherwise solid year.

palehozenychicty
10-04-2010, 01:35 AM
I think our poor divisional play did us in. We just never played well against the Injuns and Royals all season. That being said, 88 wins is a solid year for a team that appears to be in transition.

WhiteSox1989
10-04-2010, 07:17 AM
I fully agree.

ChiSoxGirl
10-04-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm not ready for Sox baseball to end. I want them to keep broadcasting. I don't even care if it's just the crew cleaning the seats, I'm not ready to change the channel! :whiner:

And I didn't want to leave the ballpark. Everybody stuck around after the final out was recorded, possibly anticipating what happened - Buehrle grabbing the microphone and eventually passing it on to A.J. and Paulie for them to say their (potential) goodbyes. I cried as Konerko said his (potential) goodbyes to us; he's been a member of the Sox for more than half of the years I've been a fan. He outlasted Robin Ventura in this organization by two years (hopefully longer), who's my favorite player of all-time, and I remember thinking how Robin had been here for an eternity; his nine years pale in comparison to Konerko's eleven.

Like many people have said already, for some reason this was a very sad season closer. Maybe it's because this year's team really did fight every day to end up where they did and I guess it made it a lot of us fans feel more emotionally connected with the team.

There's always questions going into the offseason but this year it seems like there are so many more than in the past.

Hope the postseason is exciting and better than last year. Also can't wait for the wheeling and dealing to begin.

This year's game 162 hurt more than any previous I can remember. Maybe it's because we know how winnable this division was, which makes the disappointment and sadness that much more magnified.

I'm glad I went. It was great to see the fans give Paulie and A.J. well deserved acknowledgment. Hard to imagine a Sox team without them both next year.

So am I! Even though it was cold, I couldn't have imagined myself being anywhere else in the world except the ballpark yesterday.

Absolutely. :whiner: