PDA

View Full Version : ALCS homefield advantage question

BNLSox
10-03-2010, 02:13 AM
I just did a bit of internet research and couldn't find the answer to this question, so I thought I'd turn to my friends at WSI.

With a Twins win tomorrow and losses by the Rays and Yankees we would have three teams with identical records atop the AL. Now I already know that the Yankees lost the season series to the Rays so they would be the WC.

What I don't know is: if somehow the Twins actually won a playoff series and the Rays also advanced who would host ALCS game 1? I assume that it would be based on regular season head to head of the tied teams. So in this case scenario TB would be the #1 seed since they won the season series against the Twins. Is that the correct tie breaking procedure?

If so the Twins game becomes irrelevant since a WC with a better record still remains the #4 seed.

Lip Man 1
10-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I thought I saw on ESPN last night that the Rays have the tiebreaker in the home field scenario.

Lip

dickallen15
10-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Yes. Whoever wins the AL East is #1. If its a 3 way tie, TB has the tiebreaker over NY and both have the tiebreaker over Minn.

BNLSox
10-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Cool. I figured it was head to head record but couldn't find that written anywhere.

Looks like Tampa is your AL East champion!

SoxSpeed22
10-03-2010, 04:54 PM
All right Yankees, you know the drill against the Twins.
Wins of 6-0, 9-2 and 11-1 will work just fine.