PDA

View Full Version : Question About Fan Appreciation Day

LongLiveFisk
10-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Hey everyone,

I will be at the game tomorrow and as I recall, players sign autographs for those who are there early enough. I would like to get Buehrle's autograph on a "Perfect Game" pennant I just bought, but my nephew is telling me he won't sign anything relating to the perfect game.

Is this true?

Brian26
10-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Buehrle has a contract with Steiner Sports, so he's not supposed to sign anything with "Perfect Game" on it.

However, if he's in a good mood, maybe he will.

Keep in mind that autographs tomorrow may be cancelled if it rains.

Jason82807
10-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Very possibly true. Sometimes players have clauses in their contract that restrict what they can sign. Frank Thomas was signing autographs at the 8/14 game but only on a photo provided.

Brian26
10-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Doors open at 11am or 11:30 tomorrow?

LongLiveFisk
10-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Doors open at 11am or 11:30 tomorrow?

Good question. I'm hoping it's 11 so there's more time for autographs (weather permitting) but maybe someone here can confirm.

keloms
10-03-2010, 02:44 AM
11am

"

Autograph Session - The gates to the ballpark are scheduled to open at 11 a.m. for an Autograph Session with select players. (Open to all fans) Fans, be sure to check the left field matrix board throughout the game to see if you are one of the lucky Fan Appreciation Day winners. Also, stay in your seats as "lucky sections" and "lucky rows" will be selected at random to win additional prizes. Gifts include the following:

All-inclusive vacations to Riviera Maya, Mexico courtesy of Apple Vacations
7-night resort vacation courtesy of Coldwell Banker
Round-trip airfare courtesy of United Airlines
Gift cards courtesy of Connie's Pizza, BP, Buffalo Wings and Rings, and many other corporate sponsors
Autographed White Sox memorabilia
One-year supply of Edy's Grand Ice Cream
MLB 2K10 Video Games
Chicago Blackhawks autographed sweater
And many more!

National Anthem: Rock Ridge recording artist Tony Lucca
God Bless America: Rock Ridge recording artist Tony Lucca
Rock the Sox: Tony Lucca
Rock Ridge recording artist and singer-songwriter Tony Lucca is scheduled to perform an acoustic set on the field prior to the game. (Genre: Folk)
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/schedule/icon_ticket.gif (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0400439CD23F520B)
White Sox Neighbors Grand Slam Group
Join neighbors of U.S. Cellular Field for a day at the ballpark."

yazz32
10-03-2010, 05:52 PM
So how did everyone do autograph wise? I got Carlos and Mark T but no Omar oh well

LongLiveFisk
10-03-2010, 06:20 PM
I DID manage to get my "Perfect Game" pennant signed.

Thanks, Mark! :bandance:

soxfanreggie
10-03-2010, 06:37 PM

Thanks, Mark! :bandance:

When it comes to signing...Mark >>>>>>>>>>>> someone like Albert Belle.

BainesHOF
10-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Manny, Omar and Andruw were no-shows even though they were listed on the schedule.

Considering the only reason I went to the game and showed up at 10 a.m. was to get Manny's autograph, I'm more than a little mad. No word from anyone associated with the White Sox while we waited like dumbasses in Manny's line.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-03-2010, 07:58 PM
So how did everyone do autograph wise? I got Carlos and Mark T but no Omar oh wellI got Quentin, Teahen, and Bobby Jenks (twice). Not too bad, though I wish they could have signed 30mins longer, I would have went to the right side where he lines were short and moving very quickly. I was heading for Juan and Gavin, and they left before my part of the line got there, kind of disappointing.

konerko 14
10-03-2010, 07:58 PM
I got PK, Carlos and Teahen. My brother got Buehrle on his perfect game 8x10

Rdy2PlayBall
10-03-2010, 08:00 PM
I got PK, Carlos and Teahen. My brother got Buehrle on his perfect game 8x10How did you get PK??? I thought he wasn't signing. I would have went over there for sure, I spent 30minutes looking for my PK jersey just so he could sign it.

soxlady8
10-03-2010, 08:01 PM
glad to read everyone got some cool autos :)
I wish I would have known about this , I would have went
and attempted to have MB sign the ticket of the day he got the perfect game !!

konerko 14
10-03-2010, 08:18 PM
How did you get PK??? I thought he wasn't signing. I would have went over there for sure, I spent 30minutes looking for my PK jersey just so he could sign it.
He was signing with Viceido and Putz, the first line on the first base side

Rdy2PlayBall
10-03-2010, 08:20 PM
He was signing with Viceido and Putz, the first line on the first base sideI would have LOVED to get a PK and Viceido signature... :whiner:

Oh well, it's best not to get too selfish. :P

Brian26
10-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I went today for the sole purpose of getting Paulie, perhaps for the last time, and also telling him thanks for the last 12 years. I told him I hope he comes back, but I wish him luck if things don't work out. He looked at me and said, "I really appreciate that." Then he looked over at Putz and said about me, "this guy is pretty level-headed." Makes me think he may be gone. Also went through Rios' line after Paulie.

Brian26
10-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Manny, Omar and Andruw were no-shows even though they were listed on the schedule.

Considering the only reason I went to the game and showed up at 10 a.m. was to get Manny's autograph, I'm more than a little mad. No word from anyone associated with the White Sox while we waited like dumbasses in Manny's line.

I heard about that fiasco. I understand a lot of people in line just chose to stay there and hope Manny would come out rather than switching lines since there was a chance that you wouldn't have enough time to get another autograph if you tried to switch.

Since the doors opened at 11am, I don't understand why it would be for hard for the Sox to make an announcement at 10:55 over the loudspeakers whether or not Manny was going to show.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-04-2010, 01:14 AM
I went today for the sole purpose of getting Paulie, perhaps for the last time, and also telling him thanks for the last 12 years. I told him I hope he comes back, but I wish him luck if things don't work out. He looked at me and said, "I really appreciate that." Then he looked over at Putz and said about me, "this guy is pretty level-headed." Makes me think he may be gone.

I think he is too. I was glad I chose him over Manny after finding out that scumbag didn't show. Barely made it, but he decided to stay and finish the few people still left that made the cutoff. Putz and Viciedo booked, which pissed me off a little, but Konerko signed my ball great. Really nice signature. I told him I wish he'd be back, and he kind of just replied with a somber: "we'll see." I got a bad feeling next year is gonna be downright brutal.

ewokpelts
10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Buehrle has a contract with Steiner Sports, so he's not supposed to sign anything with "Perfect Game" on it.

However, if he's in a good mood, maybe he will.

Keep in mind that autographs tomorrow may be cancelled if it rains.Not with steiner, but with the MLBPA Alumni people. And I think he cant INSCRIBE "perfect game" on any items. He signed PG items at soxfest, but without the inscription.

ewokpelts
10-04-2010, 09:22 AM

Thanks, Mark! :bandance:Mark hugged my neighbor. And she DIDNT ask for it.

BainesHOF
10-04-2010, 10:48 AM
I'd just add that it was the most half-assed Autograph Day I've seen. The half-hour session "started" at 11 a.m., which is when the gates of the ballpark opened. Most players were not at their stations when fans entered the park. By the time the players straggled out, and of course some never came out to sign at all, it was more like 11:05 p.m. and I'd say more than half came out later than that. Most players left promptly at 11:30 a.m. so, at best, most players signed for no more than 25 minutes. Bobby Jenks looked like a hero compared to most of the others when he was the last player still signing, but he stayed for all of eight extra minutes. Good job on Jenks' part, but overall it was lame on the players' part.

I don't blame the Sox P.R. staff for the players' lame attitude toward the fans, but it would be nice to have been told that certain players would not be participating. I heard that Manny and Omar weren't even at the ballpark at 11 a.m. so the Sox P.R. staff clearly knew that they wouldn't be signing. Why didn't they tell that to those of us waiting in line?

LongLiveFisk
10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I'd just add that it was the most half-assed Autograph Day I've seen. The half-hour session "started" at 11 a.m., which is when the gates of the ballpark opened. Most players were not at their stations when fans entered the park. By the time the players straggled out, and of course some never came out to sign at all, it was more like 11:05 p.m. and I'd say more than half came out later than that. Most players left promptly at 11:30 a.m. so, at best, most players signed for no more than 25 minutes. Bobby Jenks looked like a hero compared to most of the others when he was the last player still signing, but he stayed for all of eight extra minutes. Good job on Jenks' part, but overall it was lame on the players' part.

I don't blame the Sox P.R. staff for the players' lame attitude toward the fans, but it would be nice to have been told that certain players would not be participating. I heard that Manny and Omar weren't even at the ballpark at 11 a.m. so the Sox P.R. staff clearly knew that they wouldn't be signing. Why didn't they tell that to those of us waiting in line?

I would think as time goes by, the Sox will iron out some issues. I also hope in the future they may start it a bit earlier to help accomodate a few more people, as we all know some of the lines get really long and this causes people to RUN, not walk to the lines so they feel they are guaranteed an autograph.

Fortunately, all I was seeking was Buehrle's and I was able to get it since I was there right when the gates opened at 11. But even with that the line was way back on the concourse. But if I had wanted someone else's I would have been out of luck.

EDIT: I just want to add that I am glad the Sox do this at all though. I am sure not every team does this.

ewokpelts
10-05-2010, 06:07 PM
I would think as time goes by, the Sox will iron out some issues. I also hope in the future they may start it a bit earlier to help accomodate a few more people, as we all know some of the lines get really long and this causes people to RUN, not walk to the lines so they feel they are guaranteed an autograph.

Fortunately, all I was seeking was Buehrle's and I was able to get it since I was there right when the gates opened at 11. But even with that the line was way back on the concourse. But if I had wanted someone else's I would have been out of luck.

EDIT: I just want to add that I am glad the Sox do this at all though. I am sure not every team does this.not to seem pessimistic, but this wont get fixed. something happens EVERY year.