PDA

View Full Version : National League Playoff Picture

mzh
10-02-2010, 08:57 PM
As of tonight, the Giants hold a 1 game lead over the Padres at 91-70. The Padres are tied with the Braves for the NL Wild Card at 90-71. As the Padres play the Giants in game 162 tomorrow, if the Padres and the Braves win, we end up with 3 teams at 91-71.

How is this situation resolved? Obviously a simple 1 game playoff doesn't quite cut it, as there is 1 team left out of the picture. Will it come down to head to head records, or a simple coin toss?

My scenario puts it like this: The team with the better H2H record after tomorrow (in this case, the Padres) takes the NL West crown. The remaining two teams (Giants and Braves), duke it out in a 1 game playoff for the wild card.

WhiteSox5187
10-02-2010, 09:06 PM
As of tonight, the Giants hold a 1 game lead over the Padres at 91-70. The Padres are tied with the Braves for the NL Wild Card at 90-71. As the Padres play the Giants in game 162 tomorrow, if the Padres and the Braves win, we end up with 3 teams at 91-71.

How is this situation resolved? Obviously a simple 1 game playoff doesn't quite cut it, as there is 1 team left out of the picture. Will it come down to head to head records, or a simple coin toss?

My scenario puts it like this: The team with the better H2H record after tomorrow (in this case, the Padres) takes the NL West crown. The remaining two teams (Giants and Braves), duke it out in a 1 game playoff for the wild card.

This was briefly discussed in another thread, but I think the way it works is if the Giants lose tomorrow and the Padres and Braves win, then the loser of the Giants-Padres playoff plays the Braves for the Wild Card. I think that's how it works.

BNLSox
10-02-2010, 09:11 PM
This was briefly discussed in another thread, but I think the way it works is if the Giants lose tomorrow and the Padres and Braves win, then the loser of the Giants-Padres playoff plays the Braves for the Wild Card. I think that's how it works.

Yep, if SD wins again tomorrow and so too do the Braves we have a three way tie that will be settled by:

1) Game 163 played at Petco to determine NL West Champion
2) Loser of that playoff, as stated above, heads to Turner field to play their game 164/Braves Game 163 to determine the NL Wildcard team.

Could be pretty cool!

WhiteSox5187
10-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Yep, if SD wins again tomorrow and so too do the Braves we have a three way tie that will be settled by:

1) Game 163 played at Petco to determine NL West Champion
2) Loser of that playoff, as stated above, heads to Turner field to play their game 164/Braves Game 163 to determine the NL Wildcard team.

Could be pretty cool!

And then the playoffs would start on Wenseday, no? That's almost as crazy as the Sox in 2008 having to beat three different teams to get into the playoffs, but at least the Sox got to do it all at home.

Brian26
10-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Here's a press release by MLB from 2003. I think (not sure) that scenario #5 applies here, which would point to two extra playoff games, unless this rule has been changed...

http://www.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20030908&content_id=517243&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Scenario #5: If three Clubs in a League are tied with identical winning percentages at the end of the championship season and two of those tied Clubs are from the same Division and are also tied for first place in that Division and the third tied Club has the highest winning percentage among the second-place Clubs in the remaining two Divisions, the Division Champion shall first be determined by a one-game playoff on Monday, September 29. Any playoff games played to determine a Division champion shall not count in determining which Clubs are deemed tied for a Wild Card designation. Clubs that were originally tied with a Club or Clubs for a Wild Card designation shall still be considered tied.
Example of Scenario #5: The Houston Astros, St. Louis Cardinals and Florida Marlins all have identical winning percentages at the end of the championship season. The Astros and Cardinals are tied for first place in the NL Central and the Marlins have the highest winning percentage among the second-place Clubs from the NL East and NL West. The Astros and Cardinals would play a one-game playoff on Monday, September 29. The winner shall be declared the Division Champion. Despite the loss, the losing Club would still be considered tied with the Marlins for the lead in the NL Wild Card. Those two Clubs would play a one-game playoff on Tuesday, September 30. The winner of that game shall be declared the Wild Card.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-02-2010, 09:14 PM
And then the playoffs would start on Wenseday, no? That's almost as crazy as the Sox in 2008 having to beat three different teams to get into the playoffs, but at least the Sox got to do it all at home.

Yep, they would start as scheduled. That NL Wild Card team would be real tired...or they could be rolling, either or.

Red Barchetta
10-03-2010, 12:58 PM
This is why I love the wildcard! So much more fun than watching the season slowly die down with maybe 1 or 2 close divisions. It's great seeing so many teams still playing for something the last game of the season. :smile:

sox1970
10-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Braves lead 5-2 in the 4th, facing the Phillies bullpen.

They'll win this game, and hope the Giants win.

EnglishChiSox
10-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I would be seriously unhappy if i was the Padres and Giants, Phillies are laying down like a dead dog

TDog
10-03-2010, 01:48 PM
This is why I love the wildcard! So much more fun than watching the season slowly die down with maybe 1 or 2 close divisions. It's great seeing so many teams still playing for something the last game of the season. :smile:

This brings out why I hate the wild card. If the Braves lose today (and considering that the Phillies are treating this critical game for the NL as a spring training game, taking out the starter after two and then running out pitchers to throw an inning apiece, it isn't likely), the Giants game today has less meaning. The Giants and Padres should be playing for the NL West title with Padres going home if they lose and the Giants going to San Diego for a playoff to see who goes on and who goes home.

If you dumb down a league so a second place team has a chance to play for a championship, of course, you can get some exciting playoff scenarios.

sox1970
10-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I would be seriously unhappy if i was the Padres and Giants, Phillies are laying down like a dead dog

Nah, they've earned that right, and they would do the same if they were in the same position.

The team that doesn't go to the playoffs has nobody but to blame but themselves.

The Giants are 5-12 against the Padres and have lost both games this weekend to the Padres at home.

The Padres had a 10+ game losing streak, and blew a big lead.

The Braves have lost both games to the Phillies this weekend.

TDog
10-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Nah, they've earned that right, and they would do the same if they were in the same position.

The team that doesn't go to the playoffs has nobody but to blame but themselves.

The Giants are 5-12 against the Padres and have lost both games this weekend to the Padres at home.

The Padres had a 10+ game losing streak, and blew a big lead.

The Braves have lost both games to the Phillies this weekend.

But faced with this last-day-of-the-season scenario, the Phillies are laying down so a team from their division, a team they can beat, can get into the postseason.

If there was no wild card, this wouldn't be an issue.

asindc
10-03-2010, 02:07 PM
This brings out why I hate the wild card. If the Braves lose today (and considering that the Phillies are treating this critical game for the NL as a spring training game, taking out the starter after two and then running out pitchers to throw an inning apiece, it isn't likely), the Giants game today has less meaning. The Giants and Padres should be playing for the NL West title with Padres going home if they lose and the Giants going to San Diego for a playoff to see who goes on and who goes home.

If you dumb down a league so a second place team has a chance to play for a championship, of course, you can get some exciting playoff scenarios.

The same thing can happen without the wild card, or even without divisions.

TDog
10-03-2010, 02:28 PM
The same thing can happen without the wild card, or even without divisions.

I have no problem with ties being played off. The approach to today's game by the Phillies manager calls into question the integrity of the game. Without the wild card, two NL West teams each won more than 100 games in the early 1990s. It was an epic race. The second place team didn't go to the postseason. Fortunately, the race wasn't spoiled by having one of the teams go to the postseason.

Baseball is about the races, the divisional races now because the division and championship series constitutes the second phase of the pennant race. What the Phillies have done today cheapens the wild card. Really, the manager should be fined and publicly reprimanded.

vinny
10-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Braves lead 5-2 in the 4th, facing the Phillies bullpen.

They'll win this game, and hope the Giants win.
Not so fast there, grasshopper. Philly just scored 3 with 2 out in the 8th and they now trail the Braves 8-7. Still two out, runners 2nd and 3rd.

sox1970
10-03-2010, 03:17 PM
So, I guess the Phillies didn't roll over for the Braves, but they're still 3 outs away from losing.

I'll anxiously await Charlie Manuel's reprimand and fine. :rolleyes:

sox1970
10-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Going to the 9th, 8-7 Braves.

sox1970
10-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Braves win. If the Giants win, they're in.

vinny
10-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Giants 2-0, top of 4.

sox1970
10-03-2010, 05:48 PM
3 more outs for the Giants and Braves to clinch. 3-0 SF, bot 8.

It'll be Reds-Phillies, Braves-Giants

DirtySox
10-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Buster Posey is so ****ing good.

ode to veeck
10-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Padres have three outs left to score at least two or the season's playoff picture is finally settled (and Giants fans exhale a huge sigh of relief, avoiding the worst collapse since the '69 Scrubs)

ode to veeck
10-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Posey homers to lead off bottom of the eighth making the Padres 3 outs and at least three runs away from staying alive.

Lip Man 1
10-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Veeck:

You do realize the Padres will have blown a ten game lead and not even made the postseason as a wild card (in reference to biggest choke since the 69 Cubs...)

Lip

ode to veeck
10-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I was being smarmy with the Scrubs reference, repeating the whining local Giants fans here last night, but the Padres, if they complete the loss tonight rank right up there with the '69 Scrubs and '64 Phillies

sox1970
10-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Wed--Reds at Philles

Thurs--Braves at Giants

thomas35forever
10-03-2010, 06:59 PM
So where can we rank the '10 Padres among the biggest chokejobs in baseball history?

PKalltheway
10-03-2010, 07:17 PM
So where can we rank the '10 Padres among the biggest chokejobs in baseball history?
It was a choke, no doubt about it, but I don't think it ranks among the really big ones, like the '07 Mets or the '64 Phils. I don't even think it was as bad as the Tigers' choke just last year to be honest. If anything, I think more people will remember the fact that the Pads surprised the hell out of everyone this year by staying in the race until the last day of the season.

TDog
10-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Veeck:

You do realize the Padres will have blown a ten game lead and not even made the postseason as a wild card (in reference to biggest choke since the 69 Cubs...)

Lip

Of course the Cubs blew the huge August lead, but they also dropped to nine games behind the Mets before winning the cosmetic game on the last day of the season.