PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly, the Twins get stupid

DumpJerry
10-01-2010, 12:55 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Minnesota-Twins-upset-with-Minnesota-Timberwolves-over-new-stadium-billboard-100110

There isn't a picture of the offending billboard, but to turn down revenue is, to say the least, bizarre. Who owns the stadium? The Twins or some other entity?

DumpJerry
10-01-2010, 01:02 PM
This story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5636476) has a drawing of how it will look.

I guess if you can't tolerate what is going on on the field of play, you might notice it........

doublem23
10-01-2010, 01:06 PM
If I'm reading this right, it's not even in the stadium, it's on a building across the street that just happens to have a nice view of the stands.

Perhaps they're getting ready to make excuses when they go 3-and-out in the ALDS

It wasn't our overated starters coming back to Earth and throwing meatballs up there, it was the billboard!!!

DumpJerry
10-01-2010, 01:33 PM
If I'm reading this right, it's not even in the stadium, it's on a building across the street that just happens to have a nice view of the stands.

Perhaps they're getting ready to make excuses when they go 3-and-out in the ALDS

It wasn't our overated starters coming back to Earth and throwing meatballs up there, it was the billboard!!!
When I was at a game there in July, I found the sight of Joe Mauer to be a major distraction. Maybe they should get him out of there so they can concentrate on winning.

EnglishChiSox
10-01-2010, 01:37 PM
The Cubs have been using Waveland Avenue to advertise for years, everybody needs to make every pound/dime count in this economic climate

TheOldRoman
10-01-2010, 01:40 PM
From that picture, at least, the billboard doesn't seem too big.

gogosox675
10-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Honestly, if I hadn't seen this article I would have assumed the billboard had been up the whole year. The Twins can get over themselves.

DumpJerry
10-01-2010, 01:47 PM
The Cubs have been using Waveland Avenue to advertise for years, everybody needs to make every pound/dime count in this economic climate
When was the last time the Cubs were in the World Series, much less won the darn thing? I think we're on to the real reason for their futility. It's not dead goats, it's the outside ads!

manders_01
10-01-2010, 01:49 PM
If the rendering is at all accurate, it doesn't even look like a billboard. It looks like they are adding letters to the side of the building. I could see how a typical billboard could be distracting (although really, how much???), but this is nothing. Slight overreaction by the Twinkies here.

kobo
10-01-2010, 01:57 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Minnesota-Twins-upset-with-Minnesota-Timberwolves-over-new-stadium-billboard-100110

There isn't a picture of the offending billboard, but to turn down revenue is, to say the least, bizarre. Who owns the stadium? The Twins or some other entity?
They aren't turning down revenue. This is an ad that is being placed on the outside of Target Center. The Twins will not gain any revenue from this at all.

ChiSoxGal85
10-01-2010, 02:01 PM
When I was at a game there in July, I found the sight of Joe Mauer to be a major distraction. Maybe they should get him out of there so they can concentrate on winning.
:rolling:

TomBradley72
10-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't see how they can do anything about it...but I have no issue with anyone attempting to push back on something like this. After staring at ugly billboards inside White Sox park for 20 years we're probably pretty desensitized to this.

What's wrong with valuing aesthetics over a huge billboard?

If the Twins came out in favor of puppies, half the people on WSI would come out stongly against puppies and everything they stand for.

doublem23
10-01-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't see how they can do anything about it...but I have no issue with anyone attempting to push back on something like this. After staring at ugly billboards inside White Sox park for 20 years we're probably pretty desensitized to this.

If the Twins came out in favor of puppies, half the people on WSI would come out stongly against puppies and everything they stand for.

:rolleyes:

They're being ****ing crybabies.

DumpJerry
10-01-2010, 02:17 PM

All ballparks have billboards inside them. Not as many as the old days when the outfield walls were plastered with ads.
http://www.baseballforum.com/attachments/baseball-history-teams-yester-year/214d1152685397-brooklyn-dodgers-1957-ebbets-field-color-postcad.jpg
Ebbets Field.

spawn
10-01-2010, 03:29 PM

http://pinoydoglover.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/puppies-almost-burned-alive.jpg

Why you gotta bring us into this?

cws05champ
10-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Can we put together a WSI fund to buy ad space that says " Twins suck, they are perpetual Losers" ?