PDA

View Full Version : Thiessen Polygon of MLB Teams

Gavin
10-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Take each MLB stadium. Take every possible place in the United States. Ignoring major bodies of water, every single place in America is closest to ONE MLB stadium. I made a map showing what each team's "area" would be:

http://i52.tinypic.com/90unn4.jpg

Take it for what it's worth, I suppose. People root for who they want to root for, not who is closest to them. As a matter of fact, I have a lot of family in Iowa who likes the Cubs despite being closest to MIN/STL/KC.

soxfanatlanta
10-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Looks somewhat consistent with the "Countries of Baseball"

http://www.unitedcountriesofbaseball.com/images/UCOB-1280x960.jpg

russ99
10-01-2010, 10:11 AM
This seems more accurate than Countries of Baseball

Specifically that there's a heck of a lot more Sox fans in Indiana than Cubs fans.

asindc
10-01-2010, 10:17 AM

Specifically that there's a heck of a lot more Sox fans in Indiana than Cubs fans.

That's the thing about the "Countries of Baseball" that I always took exception with. I grew up in Northern Indiana, and I know there are a lot more Sox fans there and in SW Lower Michigan than casual observers realize.

getonbckthr
10-01-2010, 10:19 AM

Also they should carve a spot in Arizona for the Sox and Cubs as well as Florida for the Yankees.

SI1020
10-01-2010, 10:37 AM
That's the thing about the "Countries of Baseball" that I always took exception with. I grew up in Northern Indiana, and I know there are a lot more Sox fans there and in SW Lower Michigan than casual observers realize. I didn't grow up in northern Indiana like you did, so I don't want to come across all pompous. The Sox for a long time had a strong fan base in NW Indiana and SW Michigan, but I think the Cubbie media machine has eroded that somewhat in recent years. I do agree that the "Countries of Baseball" map leaves a little bit to be desired.

Nellie_Fox
10-01-2010, 10:46 AM
I like your map, Gavin. Thanks.

Moses_Scurry
10-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Very cool. I would like to see a population label for each region. Even though the Rockies area is huge and the Mets area is teeny, the Mets pop is probably a lot higher. Just looking at the map, I would guess that the Royals or the Diamondbacks have the lowest population.

Hitmen77
10-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Take each MLB stadium. Take every possible place in the United States. Ignoring major bodies of water, every single place in America is closest to ONE MLB stadium. I made a map showing what each team's "area" would be:

Take it for what it's worth, I suppose. People root for who they want to root for, not who is closest to them. As a matter of fact, I have a lot of family in Iowa who likes the Cubs despite being closest to MIN/STL/KC.

Cool map. It's interesting to see a map that simply shows the closest MLB ballpark.

As far as your last comment about Iowans. I have 3 letters for you: WGN. In the 1980s, it was a lot easier for people like Iowans to watch Cubs games on WGN that it was for a lot of people in Chicago to watch a Sox game on SportsVision. That planted the seed for huge Cubs followings out of town.

Also, having Iowa as the home of the Cubs AAA affiliate helps too. By the way, Iowa used to be the Sox AAA affiliate in the 1970s.

I didn't grow up in northern Indiana like you did, so I don't want to come across all pompous. The Sox for a long time had a strong fan base in NW Indiana and SW Michigan, but I think the Cubbie media machine has eroded that somewhat in recent years.

I'm not too familiar with NW Indiana, but once you get to Indianapolis, you find a lot of Cubs fans and not too many Sox fans. If anything, the Cubs are competing with the Reds (and maybe Cardinals) in most of the state.

Gavin
10-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Very cool. I would like to see a population label for each region. Even though the Rockies area is huge and the Mets area is teeny, the Mets pop is probably a lot higher. Just looking at the map, I would guess that the Royals or the Diamondbacks have the lowest population.

I will try to break this down by Census Tracts @ 2000 population some time next week. I'm sure you are right.

doublem23
10-01-2010, 11:21 AM

I would wager the Giants area is also pretty low, a lot of the population in that area of California is south of San Francisco, but that's cut off because of the A's.

Neat map, what program did you use to create it?

g0g0
10-01-2010, 11:23 AM

I disagree wholeheartedly. I grew up in NW Indiana too and have lived in South Bend, Muncie (:(:) and Indianapolis. Sox fans are outnumbered easily.

I'm not too familiar with NW Indiana, but once you get to Indianapolis, you find a lot of Cubs fans and not too many Sox fans. If anything, the Cubs are competing with the Reds (and maybe Cardinals) in most of the state.

+1

Gavin
10-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I would wager the Giants area is also pretty low, a lot of the population in that area of California is south of San Francisco, but that's cut off because of the A's.

Neat map, what program did you use to create it?

Google Docs for the spreadsheet (I'm trying to build a master spreadsheet for every Pro Baseball stadium out there)
- Wikipedia for the name of each Stadiums + attendance information/other stuff
Google Maps for the X/Y of each Stadium (this took the longest, but I wanted to manually verify this)
Excel to Format the exported gDoc
ArcGIS 9.2 to make the map