PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Have we all lost all interest? Freddy's last start? 5-2 Win Postgame...

Frater Perdurabo
09-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Discuss it here!

Or not.

LoveYourSuit
09-29-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't ever recall less caring for the finish of a White Sox season in my lifetime.

Tragg
09-29-2010, 10:02 PM
I'll say it again...Freddy has held up better than most of our starters.

He's done his job well all year long. He's a tough pitcher.

hi im skot
09-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Glad to see the Sox finishing strong.

Chez
09-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Sox clinch second place. Which is better than third place.

happydude
09-29-2010, 10:09 PM
I admit my enthusiasm waned long ago but not to the point where I don't care; there are still games on the schedule and, anticlimactic or not, its better to win them than to lose them.

Daver
09-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Sox clinch second place. Which is better than third place.

First loser, yipee!

slavko
09-29-2010, 10:34 PM
No hate for the outrageous call at 1B on Morel's "double play?" I watched, what else is on, silly reality shows, political drivel, and unfunny sitcoms?

WhiteSoxOnly
09-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Glad to see the Sox finishing strong.

There you go.It beats going out like wimpering dogs any day.Not
quitting,just not good enough to get to the playoffs.Second place
isn't what we had in mind but it could be worse.Ask Tiggers,Injuns
or Royals fans.

ChiSoxGal85
09-29-2010, 10:49 PM
I'll contribute some hate for that call at 1B...terrible call! :angry:

Another good game, Freddy; thanks for a good season.

GoGoCrede
09-29-2010, 10:50 PM
As disappointing as falling out of the race has been, it's going to be even more disappointing to be without baseball for the next few months. I'm looking forward to one last game before it's all over.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 11:01 PM
First loser, yipee!

Better than 2nd loser.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 11:02 PM
I don't ever recall less caring for the finish of a White Sox season in my lifetime.

'07? I don't think I watched more than 50 innings cumulatively past the All-Star Break.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 11:04 PM
As disappointing as falling out of the race has been, it's going to be even more disappointing to be without baseball for the next few months. I'm looking forward to one last game before it's all over.

Yeah it's a real "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing. On the one hand, I really do not want to watch more baseball right now, I am just drained from this season. But on the other hand, I know on Monday, I'm going to miss it.

:(:

Can't we just, I don't know, start over?

JB98
09-29-2010, 11:13 PM
'07? I don't think I watched more than 50 innings cumulatively past the All-Star Break.

Yeah, no ****. The 2010 White Sox are not a playoff team, but at least the roster is made up of mostly guys who belong in the big leagues. We had to watch AAA garbage for most of 2007.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-29-2010, 11:14 PM
As disappointing as falling out of the race has been, it's going to be even more disappointing to be without baseball for the next few months. I'm looking forward to one last game before it's all over.I feel the same way. I want to go to every game at the end of the season series, and hopefully see all wins.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Seems the up and down White Sox are trying to finish the year on an upswing, six of seven now...and to do so without Floyd, Beckham, Jenks and Rios is at least somewhat impressive.

Lip

guillensdisciple
09-29-2010, 11:22 PM
We are sooooo winning the world series next year.

GoGoCrede
09-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Yeah it's a real "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing. On the one hand, I really do not want to watch more baseball right now, I am just drained from this season. But on the other hand, I know on Monday, I'm going to miss it.

:(:

Can't we just, I don't know, start over?

Yeah, I'm pretty much more focused on football right now. Can't imagine how gloomy I'd feel if the Bears were sucking, too.

You're right about Monday - it'll be weird not having a game to watch during evenings, or heading down to the Cell for a game. But I definitely need a break, too. Usually I look forward to the playoffs no matter who's playing, but this year I couldn't care less.

I will, of course, eagerly await offseason acquisitions, pitchers and catchers reporting, and Opening Day.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Yeah, no ****. The 2010 White Sox are not a playoff team, but at least the roster is made up of mostly guys who belong in the big leagues. We had to watch AAA garbage for most of 2007.

Yeah, 2007 was truly awful. This season was very frustrating, but had its fun and happy moments. Anyone who claims that winning 85 games is comparable to winning 70, wow, I just can't agree. 2007 was unimaginably terrible.

kufram
09-30-2010, 01:15 AM
The way to enjoy baseball right now is to take it just as a game. One game. Forget the concept of season and enjoy a baseball game. There have been several good ones lately.

Come back wins and close game wins are always fun for me, grasshopper.

Dan H
09-30-2010, 01:57 AM
I'm amazed at Garcia. He did a hell of a job this year.

I'm happy the Sox won. I hate losing even when the games are next to meaningless. However, I don't think this streak means anything. This team has big problems going into 2011.

kufram
09-30-2010, 02:47 AM

I'm happy the Sox won. I hate losing even when the games are next to meaningless. However, I don't think this streak means anything. This team has big problems going into 2011.

Everything means something. It just doesn't mean what you want it to. These have been great ball games to watch.

I see potential for 2011. We have pitching to trade if we want to. Everybody wants that. We have a young and upcoming infield. We have veterans that are solid. The only thing we lacked this year was consistency, and we still only missed the post season because a cold streak came at the wrong time and a corresponding hot Twins.

For a team with so many predicted glaring holes I like our chances.

LITTLE NELL
09-30-2010, 06:00 AM

Someone must care, 32,000 showed up last night which was a bit of a surprise as only 19,000 showed up Monday and 16,000 Tuesday.
Did the Sox give away 20,000 free tickets like the Rays did?

dwitt76
09-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Someone must care, 32,000 showed up last night which was a bit of a surprise as only 19,000 showed up Monday and 16,000 Tuesday.

I saw that attendance figure last night and was shocked. There was about 20,000 in the house last night. Even Hawk said that there is not that many in the house. 32k PAID attendance.

Quentin08
09-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Someone counted wrong.. :o:

There's no way 32K paid last night. Corners, outfield, and UD were virtually empty, meaning those tix were still available. If the same amount last night had been scattered all throughout the stadium, then perhaps it would be legit. It's funny how they can get away with that.

doublem23
09-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Someone counted wrong.. :o:

There's no way 32K paid last night. Corners, outfield, and UD were virtually empty, meaning those tix were still available. If the same amount last night had been scattered all throughout the stadium, then perhaps it would be legit. It's funny how they can get away with that.

You can pay for a ticket and not use it.

roylestillman
09-30-2010, 08:06 AM
I was there Monday (during the Packers/Bears game) and last night. I thought the crowd in the park was smaller last night. No idea where they got that 32,000 figure from.

aryzner
09-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Yeah, 2007 was truly awful. This season was very frustrating, but had its fun and happy moments. Anyone who claims that winning 85 games is comparable to winning 70, wow, I just can't agree. 2007 was unimaginably terrible.
The mere thought of 2007 makes me want to vomit in terror.

guillensdisciple
09-30-2010, 08:11 AM
I think Matt is being groomed for closer.

Also, A.J. does not have such bad numbers now that you think about it. Still think he sucked the whole year until the tail end but fairly impressive by the numbers. I wonder if Alexei can be classified as the best Shortstop in the game right now. Also, love that Morel and De Aza are contributing to this team right now.

hi im skot
09-30-2010, 10:20 AM
I was there Monday (during the Packers/Bears game) and last night. I thought the crowd in the park was smaller last night. No idea where they got that 32,000 figure from.

Doub already touched on this - it's paid attendance. Scalpers scooped up a lot of these tickets expecting it to be a hot series, so many of those tickets were eaten. Then all the season ticket holders who skipped the game probably covered the majority of the remaining sold tickets.

Hitmen77
09-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Does anyone think there is a chance that Freddy Garcia returns to the Sox for next season?

Is there a role for him? We do have Peavy-Buehrle-Danks-Floyd-Jackson (plus Sale), but Peavy is far from a sure thing.

The only good thing about the 2007 train wreck is that we got Gordon Beckham in the following year's draft.

Chez
09-30-2010, 10:42 AM
The only good thing about the 2007 train wreck is that we got Gordon Beckham in the following year's draft.

C'mon. We got a lifetime's worth of Andy Gonzalez, Luis Terrero and Ryan Buckvich jokes out of that season! :D:

aryzner
09-30-2010, 11:06 AM
C'mon. We got a lifetime's worth of Andy Gonzalez, Luis Terrero and Ryan Buckvich jokes out of that season! :D:
Oh god please stop! Make it stop! I don't wanna hear those names ever again!:whiner:

guillensdisciple
09-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Does anyone think there is a chance that Freddy Garcia returns to the Sox for next season?

Is there a role for him? We do have Peavy-Buehrle-Danks-Floyd-Jackson (plus Sale), but Peavy is far from a sure thing.

Why are we so high on Gordon Beckham when he has not done anything great in the two years that he has been here?

doublem23
09-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Why are we so high on Gordon Beckham when he has not done anything great in the two years that he has been here?

Because the kid had an .800 OPS as a rookie, which is very, very acceptable for a 22-year-old middle infielder.

guillensdisciple
09-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Because the kid had an .800 OPS as a rookie, which is very, very acceptable for a 22-year-old middle infielder.

True, I guess next year will be my make or break with him in regards to how I see him as a baseball player. He really failed to catch a lot of the blame for the struggles we did have and it agitated me. Next year, I hope there is a bigger spotlight, because I feel like we are man loving him to death.

Hitmen77
09-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Wow. I guess everyone who ever comes up has to be an instant all-star.

Hey, all I said was that I'm glad we got him out of the 2008 draft. You'd think that would be a rather non controversial statement. But if this is going to turn into some crazy WSI "let's rip on anyone who isn't instantly outstanding for us" debate, then count me out.

October26
09-30-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm still watching the Sox and I still care. Just really tired from the grind that is the long baseball season. I will watch until the final out of the Sox game on Sun, Oct 3rd. I am enjoying these glorious perfect weather days that we are having in Chicago this week and it's been fun to watch some good White Sox baseball.

I hope our boys keep it up and finish the season strong.

I will miss watching White Sox baseball starting next week; watching other teams in the playoffs is not the same for me. Thank goodness that we have WSI to keep us connected to the White Sox over the long winter months.

Go Sox!

JB98
09-30-2010, 12:55 PM

I don't think there are "big problems" going into 2011. Question marks? You bet. They've got some pretty big decisions on Konerko, Pierzynski, Jenks and Garcia. It will be interesting to see what they do with guys like Quentin and Pena as well.

The good news is the team is pretty well set up the middle. They have pitching. They have a 2B. They have a SS. They have a CF. They are a catcher short of being set up the middle. Those are the hardest positions to fill.

Obviously, the club did not make the playoffs this season and that means the GM has some work to do this offseason. But I think KW at least has a decent starting point given that he already has pitching and already has quality players in place for three of the four positions in the middle of the diamond.

Problems? Yes. Big problems? No. I've seen the Sox in much worse shape than they are right now.

roylestillman
09-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Doub already touched on this - it's paid attendance. Scalpers scooped up a lot of these tickets expecting it to be a hot series, so many of those tickets were eaten. Then all the season ticket holders who skipped the game probably covered the majority of the remaining sold tickets.

But why would the PAID attendance for the Monday and Tuesday Boston games be around 19,000 and 17,000 respectively and then suddenly blip up to 32,000 on the Wednesday night?

salty99
09-30-2010, 01:09 PM
But why would the PAID attendance for the Monday and Tuesday Boston games be around 19,000 and 17,000 respectively and then suddenly blip up to 32,000 on the Wednesday night?

That is interesting. Which Boston game/s do the weekday season ticket holders have?

Crestani
09-30-2010, 01:16 PM

You must be very young..!!

roylestillman
09-30-2010, 01:38 PM
That is interesting. Which Boston game/s do the weekday season ticket holders have?

Weekday split season holders (Hit and Run plan) had both the Monday and Wednesday games in their plan.

khan
09-30-2010, 01:54 PM

I think there's a chance, and I for one would welcome Garcia back, at the correct price. I'd like one of the boat anchor salaries [Buehrle/Peavy/Jackson] to disappear, and for something of value to come back in return.

Of the three, it would appear [to me] that Jackson is the most likely candidate to be moveable, because of his age, his more reasonable contract, and his [recent] performance.

I would then like the front office to take ~$1.5M or so of the $8.5M that's due to Jackson, and set it aside to strategically go overslot on bonuses in selected draft picks. I would also like KW to USE the other ~$7M or so, and fix the DH issue, or to solve the 1B or RF problems in the OFFSEASON, not use "hope" as a plan to solve these issues mid-season.

hawkjt
09-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Am watching and enjoying these last Sox games....6 out of 7 over the Red Sox? Oh yea.

Freddie was great last nite. I knew right away that he had great control of his off-speed stuff. He was 0-2 on batters all night.

I think the single biggest key for our staff next year will to somehow throw more strikes,especially Danks,Floyd and Peavy. Cut down on their pitch counts. Pitching from ahead is the only way to win in this game.
The Twins get it done,so can the Sox.