PDA

View Full Version : Omar wants to stay in 2011

thomas35forever
09-29-2010, 03:35 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0929-bits-white-sox-red-sox-ch20100928,0,3128100.story
Can't disagree with him, but it would be nice to have to rely on him as an everyday player.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 03:46 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0929-bits-white-sox-red-sox-ch20100928,0,3128100.story
Can't disagree with him, but it would be nice to have to rely on him as an everyday player.

Considering the shotty state of our farm system, he's definitely the best option we have for backup 3B/SS/2B.

TDog
09-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Vizquel has played much better than I expected this season. I have forgiven him for breaking Aparicio's record. I expected Vizquel to be great defensively, and in March, I think, I posted that he could end up the regular third baseman, but that would mean the Sox were in trouble. I was half right. As the regular third baseman, he was one of the key reasons for the surge this season. He has played well enough to win the Gold Glove there, but it will go to Longoria, who probably deserves it if only because he has played more games at third this season.

Vizquel might be a good situational pinch-hitter, an excellent defensive replacement and someone who can sub at the infield. He would probably be a better hitter than Morel would next year, but with all the time Morel is getting at third, I am wondering if he is the front runner for the starting third base job going into spring training. Morel looks very good defensively and looks like he knows how to hit well enough that the hitting will come. (Viciedo looks like he needs to learn some things both offensively and defensively.)

The problem is that there won't be as many roster spots next April (late March, I guess) as there are right now.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 04:01 PM
The problem is that there won't be as many roster spots next April (late March, I guess) as there are right now.

A lot of his future probably depends on what happens to Teahen. If the Sox can (please sweet Jesus please) find some way to get rid of him or (much less desirable) have him play everyday in RF then that opens up a spot for Omar. If Teahen has to be the utility IF, then Omar's probably gone.

JermaineDye05
09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
I'd take him as a coach.

Nellie_Fox
09-29-2010, 04:41 PM
On balance, he brings more to the table for next year than Manny does.

tstrike2000
09-29-2010, 04:45 PM
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad350/bdlopez11/StevePerry.jpg

Omar...So now I come to you with open arms..
Nothing to hide, believe what I say..
So here I am, with open arms..
Hoping you'll see what your love means to me..
Open arms...

Tragg
09-29-2010, 07:47 PM
As utility infielder, fine.
Him or Lillibridge.

We need an athletic right fielder.

wassagstdu
09-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Vizquel is still a quality player all the way. My respect for him has grown immensely. I hope the Sox bring him back, then transition him to a coach and keep him in the organization.

hawkjt
09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Omar has not given the Sox any reason to not re-sign him.
As a pure utility guy, he can be very useful,and play 3 games a week easy. With Morel at third, he could relieve him vs some tough righties.
With Gordo at second same deal. Also give Alexei a day off occasionally.

I like lilibridge also, but not sure if Sox can have both on the team.

BringHomeDaBacon
09-30-2010, 04:18 PM
He's definitely not getting 300+ ABs anywhere else.

kaufsox
10-01-2010, 02:25 PM
definitely has more to offer than Manny and sadly brings more than Teahen, but at this point of his career, I'd take Lil on as a utility guy than Omar.