PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Fall League

DirtySox
09-29-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't believe a thread was ever made when the AFL rosters were announced. Games begin October 12th, and the following Sox farmhands are on the Peoria Saguaros roster:

-Anthony Carter
-Johnny Lowe
-Charlie Leesman
-Henry Mabee
-Josh Phegley
-Eduardo Escobar
-Jared Mitchell

Mitchell is obviously the big name involved, but Phegley, Escobar, and Leesman are also ones to keep an eye on. Not an inspiring list aside from Jared, but this shouldn't be a surprise to those that follow the White Sox minor leagues.

JermaineDye05
09-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Hopefully Jared can still get up the line quickly.

Domeshot17
09-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Why waste the time sending Phegley? Our farm is just terrible.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 11:06 PM

Wouldn't hurt to get the kid some PT since he missed most of the year with that bizarre blood ailment.

DirtySox
09-29-2010, 11:27 PM

Eh. He wasn't horrible in Birmingham. I don't think much of him, but it's not like there is anyone better to send really.

russ99
10-01-2010, 10:22 AM

The whole point of the Fall League is to push guys to reach the next level. As if the Sox will cry "our farm sucks" and not send anyone...

Leesman is our next long-track starter prospect, Carter is being groomed to close, and Escobar looks like he could have a high ceiling.

Any playing time for Mitchell this year will help him tremendously.

Can't hurt Phegley to get some time against better prospects either. I have more hope for him as our next catcher than Flowers.

Pablo_Honey
10-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Well we gotta send somebody and Phegley missed some significant playing time this year just like Mitchell. I think it's the right move to give the kid more playing time. Afterall, we took this kid in the sup round so might as well try to make the best of it.

Can't hurt Phegley to get some time against better prospects either. I have more hope for him as our next catcher than Flowers.
Hmm, from everything I've seen about Phegley, the impression I get was that he is Flowers-lite, having skillsets that are either equal to or below average than Flowers. The kid strikes out a TON while drawing very few walks. Sure, Flowers sucked this year but this is his first down year in the minor leagues and he's shown good plate discipline up until this year. IMHO, Flowers is better than Phegley but that's really not saying much (Oh how sad our farm system is...)

DirtySox
10-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Hmm, from everything I've seen about Phegley, the impression I get was that he is Flowers-lite, having skillsets that are either equal to or below average than Flowers. The kid strikes out a TON while drawing very few walks. Sure, Flowers sucked this year but this is his first down year in the minor leagues and he's shown good plate discipline up until this year. IMHO, Flowers is better than Phegley but that's really not saying much (Oh how sad our farm system is...)

For catchers, keep an eye on Mike Blanke (if you aren't already). BA had him as #7 in their list of Top 20 Pioneer league prospects. (Reed was 8, Royse was 19)

The article essentially notes:

He was drafted in 14th round because of his defense and maturity, but he would have gone much earlier if teams had any idea that he would show plus power, arm strength and good receiving skills.

He makes solid contact and uses the entire field in his approach. He struggles with inside pitches, but he projects as an average hitter with 15-20 home run pop, with his arm being his best tool.

Obviously he needs to face more age appropriate competition now, but he will be interesting to follow.

russ99
10-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I hate to bring this up, but seems to me Flowers early years with the Braves and his PED suspension mesh up a bit more than we'd like it to.

His performance last two seasons have not dissuaded that notion, though granted that's at a higher level.

Phegley may take more time to develop, but I still think he'll end a better catcher.

Pablo_Honey
10-02-2010, 11:00 AM
For catchers, keep an eye on Mike Blanke (if you aren't already). BA had him as #7 in their list of Top 20 Pioneer league prospects. (Reed was 8, Royse was 19)

The article essentially notes:

He was drafted in 14th round because of his defense and maturity, but he would have gone much earlier if teams had any idea that he would show plus power, arm strength and good receiving skills.

He makes solid contact and uses the entire field in his approach. He struggles with inside pitches, but he projects as an average hitter with 15-20 home run pop, with his arm being his best tool.

Obviously he needs to face more age appropriate competition now, but he will be interesting to follow.
Interesting. He sounds like an intriguing one to keep track of, kinda like Miguel Gonzalez from last year. Well, hopefully, Blanke doesn't tank it next year like Gonzalez did. Thank you for telling me. I wasn't really paying attention to BA's league rankings so I didn't know about him.

I hate to bring this up, but seems to me Flowers early years with the Braves and his PED suspension mesh up a bit more than we'd like it to.

His performance last two seasons have not dissuaded that notion, though granted that's at a higher level.

Phegley may take more time to develop, but I still think he'll end a better catcher.
Fair point. I don't know what to think about steroids anymore. It seems that steroids get brought up every time somebody performs well after performing badly throughout career, or vice versa. I really wish there was a clear explanation to all things about steroids, but I digress.

As for Phegley, maybe it's the fact that he was an overdraft and performed poorly so far, but I am really not high on him at all. Obviously I can't be too hard on him for this season because he was sick for the majority of it. Having said that, this kid's selling card was being an advanced college hitter, so he better start working his magic fast.

rdivaldi
10-03-2010, 10:28 AM

You gotta be kidding me. You obviously have never seen Phegley play, he has a ton of talent.

cards press box
10-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Hopefully Jared can still get up the line quickly.

I agree. The MLB Network has telecast some AZ Fall League games and I hope to see Jared Mitchell play.

Domeshot17
10-05-2010, 09:14 PM
You gotta be kidding me. You obviously have never seen Phegley play, he has a ton of talent.

Not a fan at all, I will be shocked if the kid ever sees any real time in the bigs. It is a damn shame we passed on Tanner Scheppers to take him. Typical easy sign pick.

I heard all the same stuff about Poreda. Kid had so much talent, was gonna be huge, wasn't a cheap pick etc. I expect similar results at a different position.

Bucky F. Dent
10-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Looking forward to seeing how Mitchell has rebounded from his injury. C'mon, Jared!!!!!

DirtySox
10-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Games begin today. Saguaros play later this evening and can be followed on gameday.

DirtySox
10-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Carter is playing with Team USA in the PanAm games currently and will join the Saguaros after the conclusion of the tournament.

JermaineDye05
10-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Mitchell doubles in his first AB.

EDIT: 2/3 after a single in the 6th.

DirtySox
10-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Mitchell doubles in his first AB.

EDIT: 2/3 after a single in the 6th.

Apparently his double was of the opposite field variety and off the wall.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of power he develops. Other things that bear watching are his K rate and stolen bases. Hopefully his speed has/will be returning to 100%.

JermaineDye05
10-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Apparently his double was of the opposite field variety and off the wall.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of power he develops. Other things that bear watching are his K rate and stolen bases. Hopefully his speed has/will be returning to 100%.

His speed is what interests me most. I remember him hitting a triple to left in ST. He got to 3rd crazy fast.

JermaineDye05
10-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Jared now 3-4. Singles to CF.

Caught Stealing 2B

DirtySox
10-12-2010, 10:50 PM
His speed is what interests me most. I remember him hitting a triple to left in ST. He got to 3rd crazy fast.

His speed is his best tool. His basestealing is rather unrefined though. He needs reps and experience in that area amongst others. The lost development time this season is really unfortunate.

Edit: Caught stealing.

DirtySox
10-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Bryce Harper will now be playing in the AFL as a taxi member, participating in 2 games a week with Scottsdale.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101013&content_id=15613880&vkey=news_was&c_id=was&partnerId=rss_was

DirtySox
10-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Mitchell in LF batting 3rd today. Eduardo is also in the lineup at SS. No Phegley sightings yet.

Gameday (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/y2009/index.jsp?gid=2010_10_13_scowin_peswin_1)

DirtySox
10-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Mitchell went 0-3 BB, 2 K's yesterday.

DirtySox
10-14-2010, 12:35 PM
If ones wishes to see all White Sox players stat lines that are participating in the numerous fall/winter leagues, keep track with this link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/org.jsp?id=cws

DirtySox
10-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Phegley still hasn't played and Jason Bour was just added to the roster. (another C) Methinks Josh won't be playing in the AFL.

DirtySox
10-18-2010, 04:53 PM
No Phegley in the AFL.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/10/cora-milwaukee-to-meet-rose-jr-to-join-farm-staff.html

JermaineDye05
10-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Mitchell tripled earlier today.

He was 1/4 with 1 K and and one RBI.

khan
10-19-2010, 09:47 AM
No Phegley in the AFL.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/10/cora-milwaukee-to-meet-rose-jr-to-join-farm-staff.html
Is there a decent C prospect in this system? I know that there probably isn't. As an aside, despite hearing that Phegley was a huge overdraft, I waited to rush to judgement about him. However, I think its becoming clear that he'd probably not going to do much for this organization.

Mitchell tripled earlier today.

He was 1/4 with 1 K and and one RBI.
It seems like Mitchell is unfortunately K-ing too much. Does the organization draft guys that are overly aggressive, or do they just not teach them patience and discipline?

DirtySox
10-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Is there a decent C prospect in this system? I know that there probably isn't. As an aside, despite hearing that Phegley was a huge overdraft, I waited to rush to judgement about him. However, I think its becoming clear that he'd probably not going to do much for this organization.

It seems like Mitchell is unfortunately K-ing too much. Does the organization draft guys that are overly aggressive, or do they just not teach them patience and discipline?

More on Phegley:

http://www.csnchicago.com/10/18/10/Phegley-suffers-another-setback-/landing_onthefarm.html?blockID=333925&feedID=621

Michael Blanke is a C to watch, but it's hard to get too excited until he's playing at an age appropriate level. Scouting reports really like him though. Also, Miguel Gonzalez is fantastic defensively but the bat needs to catch up.

Mitchell striking out is not new. His numbers in college and Kanny show this. More importantly Jared is just now starting to play baseball regularly. Even with splitting time playing football he has shown improvement statistically every season at LSU. As far as the K's go, patience and discipline is not the issue really. Overly aggressive is the polar opposite of what Jared is. Mitchell has fantastic plate discipline and generally goes deep into counts, and if anything might be too passive. He walks plenty, but also strikes out looking a lot, often with the count full. Almost all consider his plate discipline an asset, he just might need to be more aggressive at times. His swing could also be contributing to the K rate, but that assessment is hard to make currently as we don't know how much it has changed since he was drafted.

Since you don't seem all that familiar with Jared Mitchell, here is a brief scouting report posted by John Sickels taken from his book:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/1/21/1263697/more-book-excerpts

Jared Mitchell, OF, Chicago White Sox
Bats: L Throws: L HT: 6-0 WT: 190 DOB: October 13, 1988

In terms of pure tools, Jared Mitchell was one of the premier talents available in the 2009 draft. The 23rd overall pick, he earned a $1,200,000 bonus. He could have gone even higher if he had concentrated on baseball in college: he also played football, and didn’t turn his attention towards baseball full-time until last spring. As a result, he was rather raw as college players go. Even so, he made dramatic improvements last spring, as his LSU numbers above show: note the improved power production along with a much higher walk rate last year compared to 2008. Mitchell is an amazing athlete with excellent speed and plenty of physical strength. He doesn’t show much home run power yet, but many scouts think he’ll develop at least 10-15 home run power to go with 40-50 steal potential. Unlike most raw tools players, Mitchell works counts and draws plenty of walks, boosting his on-base percentage. His swing is very smooth at times, but he goes through phases where he can’t make contact, giving him a high strikeout rate that could be an issue as he moves up. He is still learning how to steal bases, and scouts have sometimes criticized his outfield routes, although I think the latter issue is overblown and reviews on his glovework in the Sally League were positive. He’s intelligent and coaches praise his makeup and work ethic. I really like Mitchell a lot, and while he has work to do refining his game, his upside is very high and I think he’s already made a great deal of progress refining it. My main worry is that the White Sox will rush him before he’s ready. Grade B.

SoxSpeed22
10-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Experience is the only real issue I see with Mitchell. That injury really did delay his development. It's good to hear that he's a hard worker and responsive to coaching. The most important thing is polishing up on the little things, like baserunning technique, routes to the ball and pitch recognition. Being able to bunt for base hits will also help him.

khan
10-19-2010, 11:31 AM
More on Phegley:

http://www.csnchicago.com/10/18/10/Phegley-suffers-another-setback-/landing_onthefarm.html?blockID=333925&feedID=621

Michael Blanke is a C to watch, but it's hard to get too excited until he's playing at an age appropriate level. Scouting reports really like him though. Also, Miguel Gonzalez is fantastic defensively but the bat needs to catch up.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on these two.

Mitchell striking out is not new.
I suppose my overarching issue is not with respect to Mitchell specifically, but with the ongoing cavalcade of SOX prospects that come up as a strike-out-in-waiting:

Fields was an automatic K, and I DESPERATELY wanted KW to ship his ass out after his lucky 2007.
I think Flowers just struck out again as I typed this sentence.
Jordan Danks hasn't improved in this area at all, yet the SOX kept moving him up.
Viciedo Ks too much, but moreso as a product of a lack of walking.
Brent Morel had more Ks than hits when he got called up, but then he does other things well enough to where this isn't mentioned as frequently.
And there are others, too.

I merely wish that there were more SOX prospect hitters that were NOT automatic Ks. For that matter, I wish there were more actual PROSPECTS in the system.

DirtySox
10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on these two.

I suppose my overarching issue is not with respect to Mitchell specifically, but with the ongoing cavalcade of SOX prospects that come up as a strike-out-in-waiting:

Fields was an automatic K, and I DESPERATELY wanted KW to ship his ass out after his lucky 2007.
I think Flowers just struck out again as I typed this sentence.
Jordan Danks hasn't improved in this area at all, yet the SOX kept moving him up.
Viciedo Ks too much, but moreso as a product of a lack of walking.
Brent Morel had more Ks than hits when he got called up, but then he does other things well enough to where this isn't mentioned as frequently.
And there are others, too.

I merely wish that there were more SOX prospect hitters that were NOT automatic Ks. For that matter, I wish there were more actual PROSPECTS in the system.

Agree in general.

I won't quibble with Dayan's K rate though. It was around 22% in the minors and 24% in the majors. Perfectly acceptable for a slugger. The BB rate is disgusting though. (3% and 1.9%)

Not worried about Morel either. He obviously needs time to acclimate to major league pitching, but his track record shows he generally puts the ball in play. (15.4 K% in AAA last year)

The rest I'll give you. Especially Jordan Danks. Yuck.

rdivaldi
10-22-2010, 10:59 PM
However, I think its becoming clear that he'd probably not going to do much for this organization.

Based on what? It's unbelievable how Phegley has become the unofficial whipping boy of the farm system. The kid was sick all season and hasn't had an opportunity to prove himself yet. Give it a rest....

Domeshot17
10-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Based on what? It's unbelievable how Phegley has become the unofficial whipping boy of the farm system. The kid was sick all season and hasn't had an opportunity to prove himself yet. Give it a rest....

Before he got sick he was pretty bad, and while it isn't his fault, he has his draft position to live up too. He was a severe reach there, especially with the talent still on the board at the time.

It was a typical Sox easy sign without the big potential pick. Again, I don't blame Phegley for his disease, this isn't something he brought on himself in ANY WAY. However, I can be critical and sympathetic at the same time. If you look back at the draft thread you can see me clamoring for Tanner Scheppers. Tougher sign, a little bit of an injury concern, but the kid is a top 40 prospect right now. What would our system be like if we had Scheppers moving in to replace Jenks next year with the luxury of stretching Sale out int he minors to take over in the rotation? Or if we just had Scheppers and Sale both stretching out for the rotation 2012 when we lose Burls and Edwin Jackson.

That is a huge difference. Right now, Sale may be stupidly made a closer, ruining his real potential, because we have nothing else, and we have a catcher who before getting sick showed nothing in his early work to even be remotely excited about and now may never be healthy enough to play.

khan
10-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Yes, we're all aware that the lad was ill. However, he was a HUGE overdraft, and as dome stated, he did little-to-nothing BEFORE he got sick.

Also, I don't think ANYONE other than you sees him as the whipping boy for the entire system. I think there are real systemic issues that lead to Phegley being drafted rounds before he should have been drafted.

russ99
10-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Yes, we're all aware that the lad was ill. However, he was a HUGE overdraft, and as dome stated, he did little-to-nothing BEFORE he got sick.

Also, I don't think ANYONE other than you sees him as the whipping boy for the entire system. I think there are real systemic issues that lead to Phegley being drafted rounds before he should have been drafted.

Again, the simplest explanation would suffice - the Sox saw catcher as a need position considering his potential as a hitter with power, which don't grow on trees at that position. It's not always about Jerry going under slot.

Baseball America thought highly enough of him to pick him the Sox preseason #11.

After 400 AB in the minors (including hitting a total of .284/.328/.415 at 3 levels this year) it's foolish to assume he'll be a bust.

Hopefully he can get well and build on his season next year in AA, and at least get a cup of coffee in the bigs before the end of 2012.

Domeshot17
10-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Again, the simplest explanation would suffice - the Sox saw catcher as a need position considering his potential as a hitter with power, which don't grow on trees at that position. It's not always about Jerry going under slot.

Baseball America thought highly enough of him to pick him the Sox preseason #11.

After 400 AB in the minors (including hitting a total of .284/.328/.415 at 3 levels this year) it's foolish to assume he'll be a bust.

Hopefully he can get well and build on his season next year in AA, and at least get a cup of coffee in the bigs before the end of 2012.

(1) This isn't the NBA or NFL, you do not ever draft need in the mlb draft unless its a player who is going to reach in the next year or 2. You can approach a draft with intent, I.E. the farm is thin on pitching so you will draft pitching heavy, but any team that drafts on position need in the first 4-5 rounds is one that will constantly have a bad farm. You can draft a position when the talent is equal (think Gordon over Smoak) but the best farms generally draft BPA

(2) Being ranked number 11 in the Sox system is nothing of an accomplishment. The fact he was drafted so high, in a piss poor farm, and ranked out of the top 10 is more negative than positive

(3) Touting his power and then mentioning his sub .750 OPS in the minors is quite conflicting.

Again, he has some upside, but he was a terrible pick then and has done nothing to prove it wrong. Scheppers has a ceiling much like Sale, we blew it.

khan
10-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Again, thanks for getting to this before me, dome.

Yes, catcher is a "position of need" for this system. But guess what:

EVERY position is a "position of need" for every system, but ESPECIALLY for one as devoid of talent as the SOX's system.

Picking by position, ESPECIALLY as high as Phegley was picked, is country-dumb. Pick the best damn player you can, get him in the system, and let the system figure out where he'll end up. Many players started out in different positions than where they ended up in the bigs. So if the intent was to actually [SHOCK!] develop a player for the 25 man, this was a dumb pick, as there were players of much HIGHER promise taken after Phegley.

Alternatively, as a SOX fan you should know: KW picks players to trade them, REGARDLESS of position. If this is the GM's M.O., then he STILL should pick the BPA. ESPECIALLY for a system this ****ty and as high as Phegley was picked. BPAs are more likely to become valued chips in trade than a guy who was overdrafted due to some perceived "positional need."

I still hope that he'll become something of note, but early returns are HIGHLY disappointing, given his draft position. [And the other players drafted near his position that the SOX passed on to get Phegley.] However, him being drafted where he was drafted is emblematic of but ONE problem with this organization out of many problems.

SephClone89
10-27-2010, 04:56 AM
Again, thanks for getting to this before me, dome.

Yes, catcher is a "position of need" for this system. But guess what:

EVERY position is a "position of need" for every system, but ESPECIALLY for one as devoid of talent as the SOX's system.

Picking by position, ESPECIALLY as high as Phegley was picked, is country-dumb. Pick the best damn player you can, get him in the system, and let the system figure out where he'll end up. Many players started out in different positions than where they ended up in the bigs. So if the intent was to actually [SHOCK!] develop a player for the 25 man, this was a dumb pick, as there were players of much HIGHER promise taken after Phegley.

Alternatively, as a SOX fan you should know: KW picks players to trade them, REGARDLESS of position. If this is the GM's M.O., then he STILL should pick the BPA. ESPECIALLY for a system this ****ty and as high as Phegley was picked. BPAs are more likely to become valued chips in trade than a guy who was overdrafted due to some perceived "positional need."

I still hope that he'll become something of note, but early returns are HIGHLY disappointing, given his draft position. [And the other players drafted near his position that the SOX passed on to get Phegley.] However, him being drafted where he was drafted is emblematic of but ONE problem with this organization out of many problems.

I was on the main forum listing, saw "Arizona Fall League" and last post by "khan"...how the hell did I know that it would be an angry post?

khan
10-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Thank you for your thoughtful contribution to the thread.

DirtySox
10-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Blurb on EE. Here's hoping the bat continues to catch up with the defense. Because the glove is one of the best in the minors.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=12330

SoxSpeed22
10-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Escobar is never going to be much of a power hitter with his size. Baseball reference had him listed at 150 lbs. He needs to master bunting, working the count and slap hitting ala Pierre.

DirtySox
10-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Phil Rogers is terrible, but there was talk of Mitchell in today's article:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/10/your-morning-phil-lee-sandberg-mitchell.html

He notes that recent scouting reports are mixed, and that the ankle is apparently hindering him currently.

DirtySox
10-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Mitchell speaks:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/10/sox-prospect-mitchell-says-ankle-close-to-100-percent.html

DirtySox
10-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Eduardo hit his 4th HR tonight. Leads the AFL. He has been getting some continued notice (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=12348) lately.

He could be a valuable trade chip if his bat continues to improve.

cards press box
10-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Eduardo hit his 4th HR tonight. Leads the AFL. He has been getting some continued notice (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=12348) lately.

He could be a valuable trade chip if his bat continues to improve.

Perhaps the Sox keep him and add to their infield depth.

DirtySox
10-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Perhaps the Sox keep him and add to their infield depth.

Eduardo would be one of the few prospects I wouldn't mind giving up. Alexei hasn't even reached arbitration years yet and is a steal at his price. Thus EE is going to be blocked for the foreseeable future. He also doesn't profile as well at 3B or 2B, and Morel/Beckham likely have those positions locked up as well.

I think he's a likely trade candidate unless the organization thinks EE is a sure thing, and decides to move Alexei once he starts getting expensive instead. I know it rarely happens, but a prospect for a prospect trade could also be intriguing. One blocked prospect for another.

cards press box
11-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Eduardo would be one of the few prospects I wouldn't mind giving up. Alexei hasn't even reached arbitration years yet and is a steal at his price. Thus EE is going to be blocked for the foreseeable future. He also doesn't profile as well at 3B or 2B, and Morel/Beckham likely have those positions locked up as well.

I think he's a likely trade candidate unless the organization thinks EE is a sure thing, and decides to move Alexei once he starts getting expensive instead. I know it rarely happens, but a prospect for a prospect trade could also be intriguing. One blocked prospect for another.

Would you deal Carlos Quentin and Escobar to St. Louis for Colby Rasmus or is that too high a price? Put it another way, would the Cards have to include a prospect in the deal?

DirtySox
11-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Would you deal Carlos Quentin and Escobar to St. Louis for Colby Rasmus or is that too high a price? Put it another way, would the Cards have to include a prospect in the deal?

I don't think it's enough. EE isn't a blue chip SS prospect, (at least not yet) and Carlos doesn't have a ton of value. Throw in Mitchell and I think it's close.

cards press box
11-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I don't think it's enough. EE isn't a blue chip SS prospect, (at least not yet) and Carlos doesn't have a ton of value. Throw in Mitchell and I think it's close.

I would hate to see the Sox throw in Mitchell. If the Sox deal for Rasmus, I hope they can find a way to keep Mitchell, too.

DirtySox
11-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I would hate to see the Sox throw in Mitchell. If the Sox deal for Rasmus, I hope they can find a way to keep Mitchell, too.

As do I. But there really isn't much to choose from in regards to the farm system currently.

DirtySox
11-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Mitchell, Eduardo, and Carter will be playing in the AFL Rising Stars game on Saturday. Supposedly the game will be on MLB Network and streamed on MLB.com

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/11/five-sox-cubs-named-to-afl-rising-stars-game.html

JermaineDye05
11-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Eduardo continues to tear it up.

4-5 today with 2 2B and a 3B

DirtySox
11-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Escobar: 3-5, 3B

JermaineDye05
11-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Escobar: 3-5, 3B

Like what I'm seeing in the boxscores. Granted it's AFL. Starlin Castro did seemingly come out of nowhere in the AFL last year though. However, I'm sure Escobar's talents aren't near the level of Starlin's.

At the very least, he's putting on a show for the Cardinals.

JermaineDye05
11-04-2010, 04:56 PM
In my best Tim McCarver impression, as good as Eduardo Escobar has been, that's as bad as Jared Mitchell has been.

Looks like that ankle injury and time off really hurt him.

JermaineDye05
11-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Escobar is 2/5 today with a double and he just hit his fourth triple. Wow.

He now leads the league in HR and tied for the lead in triples.

DirtySox
11-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Escobar is 2/5 today with a double and he just hit his fourth triple. Wow.

He has been impressive indeed and the scouting reports are good, but remember this is a hitter's league. The pitching is generally pretty terrible. It will be interesting to see if the Sox decide to have him show the bat is legitimate back in AA or let him start in Charlotte. (Assuming he isn't traded.)

JermaineDye05
11-04-2010, 05:09 PM
He has been impressive indeed and the scouting reports are good, but remember this is a hitter's league. The pitching is generally pretty terrible. It will be interesting to see if the Sox decide to have him show the bat is legitimate back in AA or let him start in Charlotte. (Assuming he isn't traded.)

What I like is that he's getting a lot of XBH. He has a 1.099 OPS.

DirtySox
11-04-2010, 05:24 PM
.@AdamWFoster (http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamWFoster) Adam Foster
Just watched Jared Mitchell try to beat out a grounder. His ankle is not up to full strength.
1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamWFoster/status/296537544462336)

JermaineDye05
11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Escobar now 3-6.

DirtySox
11-04-2010, 05:55 PM
.http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1134948148/Adam-mug__Twitter-9.30.10__normal.jpg
AdamWFoster (http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamWFoster) Adam Foster
Three swings, three misses for Mitchell in last ab. Football may have taken away from time on the diamond, but a long swing is a long swing.
55 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamWFoster/status/306094618447872)

JermaineDye05
11-05-2010, 02:57 PM
For those of us who don't have MLB Network, will the rising stars game be streaming online anywhere?

DirtySox
11-05-2010, 02:59 PM
For those of us who don't have MLB Network, will the rising stars game be streaming online anywhere?

MLB.com supposedly.

DirtySox
11-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Reminder that the Rising Stars game is on MLB Network tonight at 8.

DirtySox
11-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Neither of Mitchell/Escobar are starting.

JermaineDye05
11-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Neither of Mitchell/Escobar are starting.

I wouldn't want Mitchell starting given his performance in the AFL. I'm mostly interested in seeing Escobar honestly, since this is really the first I can recall hearing about him.

DirtySox
11-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't want Mitchell starting given his performance in the AFL. I'm mostly interested in seeing Escobar honestly, since this is really the first I can recall hearing about him.

He's always had an elite glove. He is a fantastic defender and a true SS. The bat has lagged behind until he showed some improvement at AA this year. Most scouts still aren't sold on him as a regular, but his floor is likely a utility IF. Kevin Goldstein is in love with him though. The AFL isn't the best place to judge improvement unfortunately, especially from a numbers perspective. I will remain cautiously optimistic for now.

DirtySox
11-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Can watch the stream here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=6261176

DirtySox
11-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Keep an eye on Hosmer and Montgomery. We will be seeing them with the Royals in not too long. They could have a scary good young core.

JermaineDye05
11-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Is the Rising Stars game played like an allstar game in the sense that the managers try to get everyone an appearance?

DirtySox
11-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Is the Rising Stars game played like an allstar game in the sense that the managers try to get everyone an appearance?

Yep.

DirtySox
11-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Eduardo in at SS.

DirtySox
11-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Mitchell in and K's.

DirtySox
11-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I knew Eduardo was a small guy but geez. Dude is a buck fifty soaking wet.

WhiteSox5187
11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
I knew Eduardo was a small guy but geez. Dude is a buck fifty soaking wet.

He is now my favorite baseball player, he is just a little bit bigger than I am and it would be nice to see the small folk represented in the bigs!

WhiteSox5187
11-06-2010, 10:53 PM
In my best Tim McCarver impression, as good as Eduardo Escobar has been, that's as bad as Jared Mitchell has been.

Looks like that ankle injury and time off really hurt him.

In the one AB I saw of Mitchell in this game, he seems to me to have a VERY long swing. I don't know if that is because of the ankle injury and I'm sure that that injury is having an effect on him, but I think major league pitchers would eat him alive with that long swing.

DirtySox
11-06-2010, 11:12 PM
In the one AB I saw of Mitchell in this game, he seems to me to have a VERY long swing. I don't know if that is because of the ankle injury and I'm sure that that injury is having an effect on him, but I think major league pitchers would eat him alive with that long swing.

Indeed. The swing needs to be tightened. That's consistent with past and current scouting reports.

JermaineDye05
11-06-2010, 11:14 PM

the ankle injury also prevented him from getting some work in this year. I'm sure his swing would have been cut down considerably in the minors this year. Unfortunately he was unable to get back on the diamond until about a month ago.

cards press box
11-07-2010, 09:57 AM
the ankle injury also prevented him from getting some work in this year. I'm sure his swing would have been cut down considerably in the minors this year. Unfortunately he was unable to get back on the diamond until about a month ago.

Mitchell seemed to be moving well, though, and that's the most important thing at this point. If he's healthy (and he seemed alright playing CF), the mechanical adjustments with his swing will come with playing time.

palehozenychicty
11-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Mitchell seemed to be moving well, though, and that's the most important thing at this point. If he's healthy (and he seemed alright playing CF), the mechanical adjustments with his swing will come with playing time.

This. Is true. I look for Mitchell to be a factor late in '11.

DirtySox
11-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Javelinas play the Scorpions in the AFL championship game on Saturday. Game will be broadcast on MLB Network at 2 PM. Bryce Harper is supposed to play for Scottsdale.

Domeshot17
11-18-2010, 08:33 PM
This. Is true. I look for Mitchell to be a factor late in '11.

At what level? Mitchell was a 3 year project before the injury, he still needs atleast 2 in the minors to destroy and rebuild his swing.

SoxSpeed22
11-19-2010, 12:21 PM
At first, I didn't want to hear about Mitchell in the Majors until September call up in 2012, but now it might have to be 2014 with his injury.

DirtySox
11-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Final lines:

Mitchell: (13-80) .162/.239/.200, 1 2B, 1 3B, 8 BB, 27 K

Escobar: (33-110) .300/.353/.536, 4 2B, 5 3B, 4 HR, 9 BB, 14 K

DirtySox
11-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Mayo's top 20 AFL prospects:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101119&content_id=16157300&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&tcid=tw_article_16157300

Eduardo is number 20.

DirtySox
11-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Bryce Harper is now in the starting lineup. Broadcast starts at 1:30 on MLB Network.