PDA

View Full Version : Twins have dropped 5

Rdy2PlayBall
09-29-2010, 01:16 AM
The Twins have lost 5 in a row... imagine if the Sox took care of business? I don't think this Twins team is as good as their record, the Sox just need to get them out of their heads.

WhiteSox5187
09-29-2010, 01:23 AM
The law of averages is against them, they had to cool off at some point.

JermaineDye05
09-29-2010, 01:36 AM
woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Go get 'em next year.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-29-2010, 01:46 AM
The Sox had their chance when they were playing the Twins.

RadioheadRocks
09-29-2010, 02:53 AM
The Sox had their chance when they were playing the Twins.

and the Tigers, and the A's, and the Orioles...

Frater Perdurabo
09-29-2010, 07:28 AM
and the Tigers, and the A's, and the Orioles...

and the Indians and the Royals

C-Dawg
09-29-2010, 07:36 AM
The Twins remind me of the 2000 Sox. They are going to sleepwalk through three quick losses in the ALDS.

cards press box
09-29-2010, 07:42 AM
The Twins have lost 5 in a row.

The Twins peaked when they won the division. They are well on their way to their usual 0-3 showing in the ALDS against the Yankees.

The Twins remind me of the 2000 Sox. They are going to sleepwalk through three quick losses in the ALDS.

That comparison is apt in this sense -- by the ALDS in 2000, the Sox' starting pitching was in shambles. The Twins' starting staff has been shaky for a while and it has been particularly rocky this week.

DrCrawdad
09-29-2010, 07:54 AM
I remember lots of discussions about the relative value of momentum (mojo?) going into the post-season. It may be that momentum and mojo are overrated for the post-season but if I were a Twins fan I'd be concerned if their recent losses are the result of their team not playing well.

http://www.aicreport.com.au/images/who-stole-my-mojo.png

guillensdisciple
09-29-2010, 08:08 AM
And another reason why the TWins continue being the biggest joke in baseball. A waste of regular season wins all for a no show in the playoffs. Even our ****ty club would have made a dent in the post season. These Twins will suffer.

Minnesota is as big of a joke as Cleveland.

GoSox2K3
09-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Oooo, I'm starting to get excited! This is just like in June when the Twins cooled off and the Sox started to string together some wins. I predict that the Sox can overtake the Twins again in about 2 weeks......oh, wait a minute.

Maybe next year KW and OG can actually put passable major league starters at each of our positions. Not just a butcher at a key defensive position (Teahen) and bench players in the heart of our lineup. At least we don't have any sluggers that we can hand to Minn. on a silver platter again for next year.

ChiSoxGirl
09-29-2010, 08:46 AM
The Twins have lost 5 in a row... imagine if the Sox took care of business? I don't think this Twins team is as good as their record, the Sox just need to get them out of their heads.

This is me crying: :whiner:. Oh, wait... I'd have to actually give a damn about the Twins to cry about it. Instead, I will relish in their collapse just in time for the playoffs to begin next week! To the Twins: May they go three-and-out! :cheers:

jdm2662
09-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Did anyone happen to see the lineup they trotted out last night or happen to forget Mauer has been out for the past week with a knee injury? Orlando Hudson DHed for them last night.

Chez
09-29-2010, 09:31 AM
And another reason why the TWins continue being the biggest joke in baseball. A waste of regular season wins all for a no show in the playoffs. Even our ****ty club would have made a dent in the post season. These Twins will suffer.

Biggest joke in baseball? Kind of an overstatement, don't you think? They won the World Series in 1991 and 1987 and went to the ALCS in 2002. They've been resting many of their regulars since they clinched. I think the Twins will get to the WS this season.

soltrain21
09-29-2010, 09:43 AM

Well, this is wildly misinformed and incorrect.

sox1970
09-29-2010, 09:49 AM
It's interesting that they've given up 46 runs in the last 5 games, but it really doesn't mean anything. I think they've backed off the intensity a lot since clinching---resting guys, and shortening the starters innings to set up for the playoffs. I think these last 5 games coming up will be more of an indication of how they'll be prepared going into the playoffs.

AnkleSox
09-29-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't care how they finish the season as long as they get swept out of the ALDS. **** the twinkies.

asindc
09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Did anyone happen to see the lineup they trotted out last night or happen to forget Mauer has been out for the past week with a knee injury? Orlando Hudson DHed for them last night.

It isn't the hitting that should be a concern for them, it's their pitching. IMO, Slowey, Blackburn, Duensing, and Baker pitched above their heads during most of the second half. While it's true that none of them are as bad as they have been the past week, they are also not as good as they have been the past two months. When Mauer comes back, the offense will be fine against slightly above-average-and-below pitchers. It is their pitching that will determine their fate.

TheOldRoman
09-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Well, this is wildly misinformed and incorrect.Well, it was his opinion, but please tell me what claim he made which was misinformed.

Craig Grebeck
09-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Well, it was his opinion, but please tell me what claim he made which was misinformed.
Uhh, all of them. Biggest joke in baseball. As embarrassing as the Indians. Our ****ty team would have made a dent in the playoffs. Blahblahblah. Just pure garbage.

bigsoxfan420
09-29-2010, 10:01 AM

Imagine schmimagine, I am rooting for a Reds vs. Twins WS.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Uhh, all of them. Biggest joke in baseball. As embarrassing as the Indians. Our ****ty team would have made a dent in the playoffs. Blahblahblah. Just pure garbage.

Well that sort of depends on which team would have shown up.

TheOldRoman
09-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Uhh, all of them. Biggest joke in baseball. As embarrassing as the Indians. Our ****ty team would have made a dent in the playoffs. Blahblahblah. Just pure garbage.Those are his opinions. He didn't make any claims which are reputable. I think the Twins are as embarrassing as the Indians. At least the Indians of the 90s got to the World Series. At least the Indians of the 90s won a single friggin playoff game every time they were in, instead of going 6, soon to be seven years without winning a game. I don't know how much of a dent the Sox would have made in the playoffs, but they wouldn't have done any worse than the Twins will, unless they somehow found a way to forfeit a game.

Bob Roarman
09-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Yeah, this is what always gets me. The Twins failure in the playoffs is always some sort of topic to poke fun at, but besides 05', the Sox haven't done **** in the playoffs since 59'. That's an entire generation ago. I don't understand how that one instance erases all that other history, because if that's the case, you can say the same thing about the Twins with them winning it in 87' and 91'. Where's that imaginary line we cross when we can't keep saying "Oh remember in 05', remember in 05'!?" 5 more years? 10?

doublem23
09-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Yeah, this is what always gets me. The Twins failure in the playoffs is always some sort of topic to poke fun at, but besides 05', the Sox haven't done **** in the playoffs since 59'. That's an entire generation ago. I don't understand how that one instance erases all that other history, because if that's the case, you can say the same thing about the Twins. It's childish.

oh wah wah wah

It's sports

Chez
09-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Yeah, this is what always gets me. The Twins failure in the playoffs is always some sort of topic to poke fun at, but besides 05', the Sox haven't done **** in the playoffs since 59'. That's an entire generation ago. I don't understand how that one instance erases all that other history, because if that's the case, you can say the same thing about the Twins with them winning it in 87' and 91'. Where's that imaginary line we cross when we can't keep saying "Oh remember in 05', remember in 05'!?" 5 more years? 10?

Agree. Plus the Sox didn't do anything in the "playoffs" in '59. They lost the only post-season series they played that year.

Bob Roarman
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Hahaha! Right on cue doublem, damn I should have called it. I love how when things like this get pointed out to be the kind of stupid bull**** it really is, the response is always:

"Hey dude, it's just sports."

But on the other side of it, it's fine to be all up in arms about what this guy on the Twins said, what Gardenhire said, what Ozzie said about the Twins, how the Twins keep winning by "luck", what their broadcast duo says about the Sox, etc,etc. Going all out on any of that is great, but turn it around and it's:

"Whoa, hey man chill, it's just sports."

Right.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Hahaha! Right on cue doublem, damn I should have called it. I love how when things like this get pointed out to be the kind of stupid bull**** it really is, the response is always:

"Hey dude, it's just sports."

But on the other side of it, it's fine to be all up in arms about what this guy on the Twins said, what Gardenhire said, what Ozzie said about the Twins, how the Twins keep winning by "luck", what their broadcast duo says about the Sox, etc,etc. Going all out on any of that is great, but turn it around and it's:

"Whoa, hey man chill, it's just sports."

Right.

Jesus, finally. This is not a difficult concept to understand.

Did you miss this site's tagline, for****'ssake?

Bob Roarman
09-29-2010, 10:52 AM
I always took that as tongue in cheek, but if you're serious about that, hate to break it to you, but you're not any "better" than that fanbase up North people like to rag on about. I always took this site as an objective White Sox fan forum for somewhat insightful discussion on the team and baseball, not a bunch of people who can't smell their own stink and parade around for mediocrity. But hey, if you'd rather be thought of as the latter, go for it, I'm not stopping you.

TheOldRoman
09-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I always took that as tongue in cheek, but if you're serious about that, hate to break it to you, but you're not any "better" than that fanbase up North people like to rag on about. I always took this site as an objective White Sox fan forum for somewhat insightful discussion on the team and baseball, not a bunch of people who can't smell their own stink and parade around for mediocrity. But hey, if you'd rather be thought of as the latter, go for it, I'm not stopping you.So, in summary, you are enlightening us with your presence and we are all Cubs fans, people are only intelligent and objective if they agree with you and think the Sox are always horrible, and not flying off the handle means we cherish 80 win seasons. Cool.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I always took that as tongue in cheek, but if you're serious about that, hate to break it to you, but you're not any "better" than that fanbase up North people like to rag on about. I always took this site as an objective White Sox fan forum for somewhat insightful discussion on the team and baseball, not a bunch of people who can't smell their own stink and parade around for mediocrity. But hey, if you'd rather be thought of as the latter, go for it, I'm not stopping you.

Lighten up, Francis.

FACT: The Twins suck.

FACT: The Sox are awesome.

Bob Roarman
09-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Yeah right, because that's exactly what I've been doing Roman, going off the handle about this team, thinking they are just an absolutely horrible team and everyone else who doesn't think so is no better than a Cubs fan. That's what I've been doing all along. You've figured it out.

There is no "better". That's why it's in quotes. It doesn't exist in Chicago baseball. There's no room for bragging rights here over almost any team.

TheOldRoman
09-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah right, because that's exactly what I've been doing Roman, going off the handle about this team, thinking they are just an absolutely horrible team and everyone else who doesn't think so is no better than a Cubs fan. That's what I've been doing all along. You've figured it out.

There is no "better". That's why it's in quotes. It doesn't exist in Chicago baseball. There's no room for bragging rights here over almost any team.You pulled out the "Cubs fan" card and claimed we all embrace mediocrity becuase some fail to bow to the eternal greatness of the three-and-out Twins. I don't know how else you could have played that.

spawn
09-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Lighten up, Francis.

FACT: The Twins suck.

FACT: The Sox are awesome.

Word. :gulp:

Bob Roarman
09-29-2010, 11:30 AM
You pulled out the "Cubs fan" card and claimed we all embrace mediocrity becuase some fail to bow to the eternal greatness of the three-and-out Twins. I don't know how else you could have played that.

No, believe me, it was sarcasm. That's why I put the word better in quotes. We're doing the same thing that we say we hate and bash other fans for.

"DURRR Our ****ty team could do better than their ****ty team in the playoffs that our ****ty team didn't make DURRR."

Yay for us.

asindc
09-29-2010, 11:44 AM
No, believe me, it was sarcasm. That's why I put the word better in quotes. We're doing the same thing that we say we hate and bash other fans for.

"DURRR Our ****ty team could do better than their ****ty team in the playoffs that our ****ty team didn't make DURRR."

Yay for us.

Damn right, yay for us.:smile:

Craig Grebeck
09-29-2010, 11:45 AM
That's cool if you think the Twins are as embarrassing as the Indians. It just means you're more embarrassing than the two combined.

spawn
09-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Damn right, yay for us.:smile:

Word. :gulp:

TheOldRoman
09-29-2010, 12:11 PM
That's cool if you think the Twins are as embarrassing as the Indians. It just means you're more embarrassing than the two combined.Noted.

hi im skot
09-29-2010, 12:21 PM

Well, this is wildly misinformed and incorrect.

The only thing Minnesota and Cleveland have in common is that the White Sox can't beat either.

JB98
09-29-2010, 01:27 PM
**** the Twins. Go Sox.

That's my stance no matter what the standings say.

I hope the Yankees or Rays sweep the Twins.

Again, **** the Twins. I wouldn't piss on the Minnesota Twins if they were on fire.

spawn
09-29-2010, 01:29 PM
**** the Twins. Go Sox.

Again, **** the Twins. I wouldn't piss on the Minnesota Twins if they were on fire.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ChiSoxGirl
09-29-2010, 02:29 PM
**** the Twins. Go Sox.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:roflmao: Brilliant!!! :thumbsup:

Irishsox1
09-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Since 2002, the Twins have made the playoffs 5 times and in those series they have 6 wins and 18 losses. They've been swept in the playoffs the last two times they've been in.

The annoying part is how tough the Twins are during the regular season, how they excessively whoop it up when they beat the Sox, yet when they go into the playoffs they suck and they look nothing like the team that had miracle comebacks against the Sox.

tacosalbarojas
09-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I want three and out...and as quickly and as embarrassingly as possible for the Twins.

Rockabilly
09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Twins will lose in 4 games to the Yankees in the first round.

AnkleSox
09-29-2010, 02:57 PM
**** the Twins. Go Sox.

I thoroughly enjoy this post.

tstrike2000
09-29-2010, 03:24 PM
**** the Twins. Go Sox.

The Minnesota Twins and Greg Walker as hitting coach, keeping JB's bladder full since 2002.

thomas35forever
09-29-2010, 03:43 PM
The team that clinches first rarely goes all the way. I see this holding true this year.

TomBradley72
09-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Those are his opinions. He didn't make any claims which are reputable. I think the Twins are as embarrassing as the Indians. At least the Indians of the 90s got to the World Series. At least the Indians of the 90s won a single friggin playoff game every time they were in, instead of going 6, soon to be seven years without winning a game. I don't know how much of a dent the Sox would have made in the playoffs, but they wouldn't have done any worse than the Twins will, unless they somehow found a way to forfeit a game.

Since the beginning of the expansion era (1961):

Minnesota Twins:

World Series Championships- 2
American League Pennants-3
Post Season Appearances- 10
Winning Seasons (>/= .500)- 24

Chicago White Sox:

World Series Championships- 1
American League Pennants-1
Post Season Appearances- 5
Winning Seasons (>/= .500)- 29

If the Twins are embarrassing...what are we?

TheOldRoman
09-29-2010, 03:55 PM

Minnesota Twins:

Chicago White Sox:

If the Twins are embarrassing...what are we?Obviously, winning the division is an accomplishment. If you don't see winning 6 division titles in the span of 9 years but having only one series (in the first year) and 6 games won (4 in the first year and none since 04) as pathetic, I don't know what to tell you. Is going to four straight Super Bowls a huge accomplishment? Certainly. Does losing them all make you a laughingstock? Yep.

ChiSoxGirl
09-29-2010, 03:58 PM
The Minnesota Twins and Greg Walker as hitting coach, keeping JB's bladder full since 2002.

:rolling: Once again, Brian, you make me laugh hysterically!

doublem23
09-29-2010, 04:04 PM

****ing awesome. That's what.

soxinem1
09-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Biggest joke in baseball? Kind of an overstatement, don't you think? They won the World Series in 1991 and 1987 and went to the ALCS in 2002. They've been resting many of their regulars since they clinched. I think the Twins will get to the WS this season.

I agree. I don't think MIN should be regarded as a pushover this year. Not because they are so great, but because of the flaws of the other playoff contenders in the same areas.

First off, any team can beat any team on any given day (remember the 2005 ALDS??). In a short series you never know what can happen, despite what happened last year, the year before, etc.

True, on paper, the Twins have 2 1/2 starters. But NYY, CIN, ATL, SF, SD, PHI, TEX, and TB have all experienced pitching issues just like the Twins have. All of the AL contenders, especially the Braves and Yankees have had some brutal performances by the 4-5 rotation spots.

And even without Morneau, I like that lineup in a short series. Many of the other playoff contenders do not have the depth and versitility the Twins have with their roster.

So no, while I am not one of those whose jaws drop in awe of the Twins, I think that counting them as 'one and done' this year is an unsafe assumption.

09-29-2010, 04:45 PM

Minnesota Twins:

Chicago White Sox:

You also forgot this category

Almost contracted:

twins - 1

Sox - 0

Dan H
09-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Obviously, winning the division is an accomplishment. If you don't see winning 6 division titles in the span of 9 years but having only one series (in the first year) and 6 games won (4 in the first year and none since 04) as pathetic, I don't know what to tell you. Is going to four straight Super Bowls a huge accomplishment? Certainly. Does losing them all make you a laughingstock? Yep.

I agree that not going to the World Series when winning all those division titles is frustrating. But a laughingstock. No way.

The simple fact is that Sox have won only five division titles since division play began in 1969. The Twins have won 10. Are the White Sox a laughingstock?

I'll trade 2005 for six division titles any day. But I would like to see a real winning tradition with the Sox and that hasn't happened. There is no reason the Sox can't do a better job of competing in this division. This season was just plainly disappointing as so many others. The same management team is returning in 2011. Are they going to field a winner or are we going to be bitter about the Twins again? The White Sox should do better than a division title every five years or so. I hope Guillen and Williams do more than complain about fans and fight among themselves.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Minnesota Twins:

Chicago White Sox:

This is just a thought... I don't give a damn what happened in the 60s and 70s. I wasn't even born yet, and I'm an independent, college-educated adult in my late-20s. Hell, 1987 doesn't mean anything to me, I was 4. 1991 doesn't really mean that much to me, I don't remember it. The Kent Hrbeck, Bert Blyleven, Kirby Puckett Twins are nothing but relics of the past to me, I never experienced them.

The only Twins I've know are the bags of **** that kept losing 90+ games for years in the late 90s (teams that made the Royals look competent) and the current batch that wins divisions and then perpetually loses the ALDS 3-0.

So yeah, it's easy to hate on them and disrespect them, because as far as my recollection is concerned, they haven't done anything.

cards press box
09-29-2010, 07:33 PM
I agree that not going to the World Series when winning all those division titles is frustrating. But a laughingstock. No way.

A post-season record of 6-18 in the Gardenhire era is pretty darn bad and goes beyond frustrating.

Look at this way -- if the Sox manager had a record of 6-18 in the postseason (and no World Series appearance or World Championship to boot), can you imagine the decibel level of the complaints on WSI? Some posters might complain about Ozzie but he has something that Gardenhire doesn't: a 12-4 record in post-season and a World Championship. And as third base coach of the 2003 Marlins, Ozzie was instrumental in the Marlins winning that World Championship.

Yep, if the Sox had a manager who had laid an egg as often in the post-season as Gardenhire has, people here would be going nuts.

SI1020
09-29-2010, 09:40 PM
This is just a thought... I don't give a damn what happened in the 60s and 70s. I wasn't even born yet, and I'm an independent, college-educated adult in my late-20s. Hell, 1987 doesn't mean anything to me, I was 4. 1991 doesn't really mean that much to me, I don't remember it. The Kent Hrbeck, Bert Blyleven, Kirby Puckett Twins are nothing but relics of the past to me, I never experienced them.

The only Twins I've know are the bags of **** that kept losing 90+ games for years in the late 90s (teams that made the Royals look competent) and the current batch that wins divisions and then perpetually loses the ALDS 3-0.

So yeah, it's easy to hate on them and disrespect them, because as far as my recollection is concerned, they haven't done anything. I take it you're not a history major.

RadioheadRocks
09-29-2010, 10:21 PM
I'll trade 2005 for six division titles any day. But I would like to see a real winning tradition with the Sox and that hasn't happened. There is no reason the Sox can't do a better job of competing in this division. This season was just plainly disappointing as so many others. The same management team is returning in 2011. Are they going to field a winner or are we going to be bitter about the Twins again? The White Sox should do better than a division title every five years or so. I hope Guillen and Williams do more than complain about fans and fight among themselves.

I'd also like this same management to not be intimidated by the Twins and to stop kissing Twin fanny all the time.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I take it you're not a history major.

I was, but just reading about stuff isn't the same as living through it.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-29-2010, 11:25 PM
I was, but just reading about stuff isn't the same as living through it.:rolling:
Awkward.... lol

I actually hope the Twins do well against the Yankees (if they play them), but I'm definitely still rooting for the Rays... I really like them. If the Twins started to cool off two weeks ago, it could be the Sox in there, which is a shame. The Sox had their chance to start the "cooling down" of the Twins, they failed.

Dan H
09-30-2010, 02:52 AM
A post-season record of 6-18 in the Gardenhire era is pretty darn bad and goes beyond frustrating.

Look at this way -- if the Sox manager had a record of 6-18 in the postseason (and no World Series appearance or World Championship to boot), can you imagine the decibel level of the complaints on WSI? Some posters might complain about Ozzie but he has something that Gardenhire doesn't: a 12-4 record in post-season and a World Championship. And as third base coach of the 2003 Marlins, Ozzie was instrumental in the Marlins winning that World Championship.

Yep, if the Sox had a manager who had laid an egg as often in the post-season as Gardenhire has, people here would be going nuts.

I have two responses: The White Sox playoff record outside of 2005 is 4-13. I am not happy about that at all. So, not winning in the post season is not a good thing. And my point had nothing to do with Ozzie. Fans are saying the Twins are pathetic but the Sox can't beat them head to head and watch as they go to the playoffs year after year.

In the end, I don't care what the Twins do in the post season. That is something their own fans can worry about. I just see the Sox being an inconsistent team, winning one year, tanking the next. I would like to see a real winning tradition with the Sox, not having success for a short time and then returning Chicago baseball.

sox1970
09-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Twins pitching may have hit the wall.

Last 7 games, they've given up double-digit runs 5 times.

doublem23
09-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Twins pitching may have hit the wall.

Last 7 games, they've given up double-digit runs 5 times.

Classic Twins

ChiSoxGirl
10-01-2010, 08:29 AM
There was some serious man love going on for the Twins from Hawk during last night's broadcast; it was nauseating. However, what wasn't nauseating was the fact that Stone didn't agree with much of anything Hawk was proclaiming about the Twins. Hawk has them going to at least the ALCS, whereas Stone said he just doesn't think the Twins have nearly enough to get through the first round. He also brought up the fact that the Twins turn to sobbing puddles of tears at the mere sight of the Yankees, and that ther will likely be a Twins/Yankees match-up in the ALDS. I'm all for that! :cheers:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
There was some serious man love going on for the Twins from Hawk during last night's broadcast; it was nauseating. However, what wasn't nauseating was the fact that Stone didn't agree with much of anything Hawk was proclaiming about the Twins. Hawk has them going to at least the ALCS, whereas Stone said he just doesn't think the Twins have nearly enough to get through the first round. He also brought up the fact that the Twins turn to sobbing puddles of tears at the mere sight of the Yankees, and that ther will likely be a Twins/Yankees match-up in the ALDS. I'm all for that! :cheers:
You mean, kinda like the Sox do when they see the Twins?

There is only one team I want to see the Yankees beat in the playoffs, and that is the Twins. After that, they can go pound sand.

Nellie_Fox
10-01-2010, 01:02 PM
There is only one team I want to see the Yankees beat in the playoffs, and that is the Twins. After that, they can go pound sand.
I never want to see the Yankee$ beat ANYBODY in the AL playoffs.

KMcMahon817
10-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Twins have given up 69 runs in the past 7 games. :D:

They're going to get smoked by the Yanks.

SI1020
10-01-2010, 01:50 PM
I never want to see the Yankee$ beat ANYBODY in the AL playoffs. I hear you, but when the Yankees play the Twins I want them both to lose.

ChiSoxGirl
10-01-2010, 02:43 PM
You mean, kinda like the Sox do when they see the Twins?

Unfortunately, yes.

TomBradley72
10-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I ****ing hate the Yankees, the Devil Rays play in the worst stadium in professional sports, and the Rangers do nothing for me. With those choices in front of me, and since I'm an American League fan, I'll be rooting for the Twins in the post season. Great stadium, they play the game right, and I'd like to see Thome get back to the World Series.

Go Twins! :gulp:

sox1970
10-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I ****ing hate the Yankees, the Devil Rays play in the worst stadium in professional sports, and the Rangers do nothing for me. With those choices in front of me, and since I'm an American League fan, I'll be rooting for the Twins in the post season. Great stadium, they play the game right, and I'd like to see Thome get back to the World Series.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, without the "Go Twins!".

Yes, I'll hope all of the East division teams lose in the first round, but I doubt I'll actually be "rooting" for anyone.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-02-2010, 01:46 AM

Seriously, **** that "playing the game right" garbage. That's a Twinkie myth, perpetuated by years of having light-hitting slap hitters who play decent defense that somehow managed to get lucky hits at every opportune moment.

This year's Twins team headhunts our captain, tries to bowl over our catcher when he's not even in the baseline, and is generally a very unlikeable team. That's playing the game right?

I can't even root for Jim Thome...not when he's wearing that ****ing uniform. Any possible joy I would get out of Thome celebrating would be negated tenfold by seeing Gardenhire, Young, and the rest of those *******s celebrating with him. Besides, why is some of this fanbase so devoted to Thome? He helped us out huge in '08, sure, and he's a nice guy, but he spent 4 out of 15 years here. It's not like if he hung them up tomorrow, he'd be wearing a Sox hat to the Hall.

I'm honestly rooting for any NL team before any AL team, and that's the first time I've EVER said that. The Reds and Giants are the new blood who've waited a while to get back into the playoffs, the Phillies are the NL's Yankees (which is better than the AL's Yankees), and either the Braves or Padres are infinitely more likable teams than any AL team on the docket. I'd love to see the Braves pull it off, because I'd like to see Cox go out on top, and the Braves truly do play the game right...but I wouldn't have a problem with any NL team winning it all.

If an AL team absolutely had to win it, I'd choose the Rangers.

TomBradley72
10-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Seriously, **** that "playing the game right" garbage. That's a Twinkie myth, perpetuated by years of having light-hitting slap hitters who play decent defense that somehow managed to get lucky hits at every opportune moment.

This year's Twins team headhunts our captain, tries to bowl over our catcher when he's not even in the baseline, and is generally a very unlikeable team. That's playing the game right?

I have more of an issue of how the White Sox responded (or didn't respond) to that stuff then I do with the Twins doing it.

#5 in runs scored, #2 in team fielding, #5 in team ERA seems like they play the game right.

guillensdisciple
10-02-2010, 02:06 PM
You know, initially I was just kidding about the Twins getting swept in the playoffs but looking at what they have been doing it's almost becoming a certainty.

What a ****ing waste, I hate them more than any other team I have ever seen. It's like they think the regular season is the championship or Gardenhire only manages during the regular season. Ridiculous.

WhiteSox5187
10-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Right now I think the only thing that the Twins have going for them is my certainty that they will fail.

Bob Roarman
10-02-2010, 04:25 PM
You know, initially I was just kidding about the Twins getting swept in the playoffs but looking at what they have been doing it's almost becoming a certainty.

What a ****ing waste, I hate them more than any other team I have ever seen. It's like they think the regular season is the championship or Gardenhire only manages during the regular season. Ridiculous.

Or maybe they just ran into teams better than they were? Like when they were beat by the eventual World Champion Angels and Yankees? You know, like when the Sox were swept by the AL pennant winning Rays a few years ago.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-02-2010, 05:46 PM
:scratch: Sox won one game against the Rays in the 2008 ALDS.

Bob Roarman
10-02-2010, 05:50 PM
My bad, got it confused with 2000. Still, the point stands.

TDog
10-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I never want to see the Yankee$ beat ANYBODY in the AL playoffs.

I came of age baseball-wise with the teams that followed the Go-Go Sox, and even if I had picked up the White Sox in 1967, the Yankees weren't a team keeping them down. You feel toward the Yankees as I feel toward the A's.

Everyone should hate the Yankees based on their economic domination, which is an extension of how baseball operated before the draft was instituted in 1965. But the Yankees are in another division, and the Sox haven't faced them in the postseason. I hate the Rays as much as I hate the Yankees, but it's different. I hate the Rangers for entirely different reasons.

I hate the Twins more than I hate any other team, but I don't want to see ANYBODY beat ANYBODY in the AL this postseason.

cards press box
10-02-2010, 09:25 PM
The White Sox playoff record outside of 2005 is 4-13.

Ozzie Guillen is only responsible for the teams that he managed. And Ozzie's post-season record is 12-4. As Gardenhire is currently sporting a 6-18 record, Ozzie is 9 full post-season games ahead of Gardy.

In any event, I'm not sure what the 4-13 record covers. The Sox won the World Series in 1906 and 1917 and that is 8 post-season wins right there.

One more little statistic: Buck Showalter has managed in 1,771 games, the most among active managers without a World Series appearance. Immediately behind Showalter is, you guessed it, Ron Gardenhire who has managed in 1,459 games without a World Series appearance.

10-02-2010, 09:55 PM
:scratch: Sox won one game against the Rays in the 2008 ALDS.

yet it was one more than the twins won in 2006 and 2009 combined

Bob Roarman
10-03-2010, 12:31 AM
I came of age baseball-wise with the teams that followed the Go-Go Sox, and even if I had picked up the White Sox in 1967, the Yankees weren't a team keeping them down. You feel toward the Yankees as I feel toward the A's.

Everyone should hate the Yankees based on their economic domination, which is an extension of how baseball operated before the draft was instituted in 1965. But the Yankees are in another division, and the Sox haven't faced them in the postseason. I hate the Rays as much as I hate the Yankees, but it's different. I hate the Rangers for entirely different reasons.

I hate the Twins more than I hate any other team, but I don't want to see ANYBODY beat ANYBODY in the AL this postseason.

Let me ask you something, what should the Yankees do with all the money they make? Save it for a rainy day?

soltrain21
10-03-2010, 12:34 AM

They aren't doing anything wrong...

SoxSpeed22
10-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Wait, so because a team that has a rich history and fans from all over the world, constantly sells out tickets to their games, should be hated because they bother to put the money they earn back into their team?
Someone else said that the Twins payroll this year is $95 million, thanks to the revenue from their new park and that the new ownership isn't as frugal as the late Carl Pohlad was. They're not the same small market team they used to be.

cards press box
10-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Let me ask you something, what should the Yankees do with all the money they make? Save it for a rainy day?

Wait, so because a team that has a rich history and fans from all over the world, constantly sells out tickets to their games, should be hated because they bother to put the money they earn back into their team?
Someone else said that the Twins payroll this year is $95 million, thanks to the revenue from their new park and that the new ownership isn't as frugal as the late Carl Pohlad was. They're not the same small market team they used to be.

It's not about what the Yankees should do with their money. It's about the economic structure of MLB, particularly with regard to local media revenue.

Consider the NFL. That league doesn't let the accident of geography (and the concomitant accident of available local media revenue) become the driving factor of the team's success. Why? One reason: about 60 years ago, Pete Rozelle convinced George Halas and Wellington Mara (the owners of the Bears and N.Y. Giants, respectively) and the future prosperity of the league as a whole was more important than the fortunes any individual franchise. George Steinbrenner, infant terrible that he was, would never listen to such talk. Steinbrenner would foul everbody's nest and shred the common good if he thought the Yanks could milk one extra win out of it.

And doesn't it seem that the people who would lionize irritating, creepy jerks like Steinbrenner are just the ones who would never appreciate the efforts of a Wellington Mara. Come to think of it, I've had enough writing about Steinbrenner. I will, instead, go watch the Bears-Giants game on the Sunday national broadcast and savor the irony.

asindc
10-03-2010, 08:42 PM
It's not about what the Yankees should do with their money. It's about the economic structure of MLB, particularly with regard to local media revenue.

Consider the NFL. That league doesn't let the accident of geography (and the concomitant accident of available local media revenue) become the driving factor of the team's success. Why? One reason: about 60 years ago, Pete Rozelle convinced George Halas and Wellington Mara (the owners of the Bears and N.Y. Giants, respectively) and the future prosperity of the league as a whole was more important than the fortunes any individual franchise. George Steinbrenner, infant terrible that he was, would never listen to such talk. Steinbrenner would foul everbody's nest and shred the common good if he thought the Yanks could milk one extra win out of it.

And doesn't it seem that the people who would lionize irritating, creepy jerks like Steinbrenner are just the ones who would never appreciate the efforts of a Wellington Mara. Come to think of it, I've had enough writing about Steinbrenner. I will, instead, go watch the Bears-Giants game on the Sunday national broadcast and savor the irony.

Perfect response.:thumbsup:

TDog
10-03-2010, 10:09 PM
They aren't doing anything wrong...

No, they are not, especially if their goal is to put other American League teams out of business, which they nearly did in the 1930s. Hating the Yankees is not a matter of hating the Yankees because they are doing the wrong thing with the profits they earn. People hate the Yankees because they have advantages that other teams don't have. That was the case before the second World War. That was the case in the 1950s. And that is the case in the current baseball environment in which the Yankees have more money to pay for mercenaries than other teams do.

The Yankees aren't doing anything wrong, but is is wrong to cheer for them.

Bob Roarman
10-04-2010, 12:10 AM

Blame the MLB then. If they are going to allow it to happen, why WOULDN'T someone with the kind of resources that Steinbrenner had take it to the limit? Don't start with the "caring about the smaller market teams" bull**** speech, we're the same fan base that was hoping for the contraction of the Minnesota Twins and would have been more than fine with that if it had gone through. You can't have it both ways.

Daver
10-04-2010, 12:22 AM

Comparing MLB with the NFL is a really rotten comparison in many ways.

MLB does have the power to curb the Yankees, they just choose not to use it.

Bob Roarman
10-04-2010, 12:27 AM
No, they are not, especially if their goal is to put other American League teams out of business, which they nearly did in the 1930s. Hating the Yankees is not a matter of hating the Yankees because they are doing the wrong thing with the profits they earn. People hate the Yankees because they have advantages that other teams don't have. That was the case before the second World War. That was the case in the 1950s. And that is the case in the current baseball environment in which the Yankees have more money to pay for mercenaries than other teams do.

The Yankees aren't doing anything wrong, but is is wrong to cheer for them.

So, wait a second, hating the Yankees is not a matter of hating them because they are doing the wrong thing with all the profits they earn , but it's hating them for.....using the advantages of having all that profit, or in other words, actually using the profits they earn towards bettering their organization. Am I reading that right? Because that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2010, 12:55 AM
...we're the same fan base that was hoping for the contraction of the Minnesota Twins and would have been more than fine with that if it had gone through.Speak for yourself.

WhiteSox5187
10-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Comparing MLB with the NFL is a really rotten comparison in many ways.

How can they do that?

Daver
10-04-2010, 01:14 AM
How can they do that?

Put a team in New Jersey.

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2010, 01:56 AM
Put a team in New Jersey.Or Brooklyn!

TDog
10-04-2010, 02:11 AM
So, wait a second, hating the Yankees is not a matter of hating them because they are doing the wrong thing with all the profits they earn , but it's hating them for.....using the advantages of having all that profit, or in other words, actually using the profits they earn towards bettering their organization. Am I reading that right? Because that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

It isn't a question of every team using all of their resources for their product. The Yankees have more resources than other teams do and the ownership pockets more money than other teams do. They aren't using all the profits they earn to improve their team. They are in a position where they can offer contracts that would financially cripple other teams. The Yankees have advantages of their market. The Yankees have advantages because of things that happened in the first half of the last century.

Bob Roarman
10-04-2010, 02:46 AM
Speak for yourself.

Yeah I'm not buying that for a second. All you have to do is take a look around at this board, I think it speaks for itself what the majority of people feel on that subject. I'm not saying it's right or it's wrong, no, I don't dare do that because it's just not possible for people to be wrong anymore, but it's gotta be one way or the other. You can't not care about a smaller market team than the one you root for being contracted and then complain about a team like the Yankees keeping smaller market teams down (which the Sox and almost every other club are compared to them) because they make so much more money. It's a bull****, two-faced argument.

asindc
10-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Blame the MLB then. If they are going to allow it to happen, why WOULDN'T someone with the kind of resources that Steinbrenner had take it to the limit? Don't start with the "caring about the smaller market teams" bull**** speech, we're the same fan base that was hoping for the contraction of the Minnesota Twins and would have been more than fine with that if it had gone through. You can't have it both ways.

We did? I always got the impression that virtually all Sox fans felt the same as I did about it, which is to say we did not give a **** one way or another.

Bob Roarman
10-04-2010, 09:52 AM
That's the point, either no one was bothered by it or they actually hoped for it. But then we turn around and complain about the Yankees and how they keep smaller market teams down in the gutter? Give me a break.

cards press box
10-04-2010, 09:59 AM

Or Brooklyn!

MLB no doubt bears some responsibility for the Frankenstein monster they helped create with the Yankees. For that matter, Congress also bears some responsibility by continuing baseball's antitrust exemption.

Placing a team in, say, Jersey City and perhaps another team in Brooklyn would remedy the problem of the Yanks' unfair economic advantage.

Hitmen77
10-04-2010, 10:06 AM

Agreed. It's not that the Yankees should voluntarily just sit on their money. Hell, if that was the Sox, I'd want them to spend all that they make too. The point is that the system is broken. Remember, for anyone who thinks the Red Sox spend way too much, NYY's payroll is $80 million higher than Boston's! But, that's not the Yankees fault.

....that being said, just because it's not the Yankees fault that the system is broken doesn't mean I have to like them or ever root for them.:redneck

Hitmen77
10-05-2010, 09:03 AM

How can they do that?

I agree that this would be a good place for a baseball team, but what powers do the Yankees and Mets have to block such a move?

The only teams with a chance of moving right now are the Rays and A's. The rest are set with good stadium situations. MLB could also expand to 32 teams, but it would be tough for an expansion team to go up against the Yankees and try to make a dent in their market.

Daver
10-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I agree that this would be a good place for a baseball team, but what powers do the Yankees and Mets have to block such a move?

They can piss and moan all they want, but the commissioner can do anything he wants for the good of the game, which is one of the many reasons MLB needs an autonomous commissioner in a big way.

TheOldRoman
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
They can piss and moan all they want, but the commissioner can do anything he wants for the good of the game, which is one of the many reasons MLB needs an autonomous commissioner in a big way.Then why didn't Selig tell Peter Angelos to go piss up a rope instead of organizing for the Nats to give extensive consessions to the Orioles?

asindc
10-05-2010, 12:25 PM
They can piss and moan all they want, but the commissioner can do anything he wants for the good of the game, which is one of the many reasons MLB needs an autonomous commissioner in a big way.

Absolutely.

Daver
10-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Then why didn't Selig tell Peter Angelos to go piss up a rope instead of organizing for the Nats to give extensive consessions to the Orioles?

MLB owned the team at the time, and Selig puts the interests of the owners first, yet another of the many reasons MLB needs an autonomous commissioner.

TDog
10-05-2010, 04:37 PM
MLB owned the team at the time, and Selig puts the interests of the owners first, yet another of the many reasons MLB needs an autonomous commissioner.

It's never really had one. In fact, I don't know of any sport that does.

Daver
10-05-2010, 04:45 PM
It's never really had one. In fact, I don't know of any sport that does.

No other sport has an anti trust exception.

cards press box
10-05-2010, 06:52 PM

Bingo.

ewokpelts
10-05-2010, 08:02 PM
BS. The commisioner is the represenative of the owners. People have this misconception that the commisioner is an outside force controlling the game. Up until 2000, the AL and NL had separate organizing bodies. teams were more afraid of reprecussions from from the LEAGUE office than the commisioner's when there were problems.

Landis may be the only "true" commisioner if you think of the office as an autonomouos body. All the commisioners after were selected by the owners collectively.

Selig, for all his faults and missteps, has changed the game. And in a positive way, I might add.

MLB drew 73 million fans this year. Yes, it's off it's 2008 peak, but that's still a HUGE number considering the economy and the fact that baseball has a TON of seats to fill over 81 games.

MLBAM(the internet division) is a HUGE success. Selig PIONEERED the thought that the league owning and operating all club sites, as well as online video/audio. And it has reaped massive rewards, while streamling costs.

The wild card has been a success. Interleague play has beena big success.

All under selig's watch.
Baseball is better off now than it was in 1992. And that includes the steroids debate.

Daver
10-05-2010, 08:21 PM
BS. The commisioner is the represenative of the owners.

The commissioner is the representative of the league.

The owners on an individual basis do not have an anti trust exception, but collectively the league does.

Selig has made himself the most powerful commissioner the game has ever had, but was it done to benefit the league, or just the owners bottom line?

Without the anti trust exception MLB could not legally own a franchise, in any other sport the league would be guilty of establishing a monopoly, let's not start anointing Bud as a visionary pioneer for trying to cover up Jeffrey Loria's dirty laundry.

TDog
10-05-2010, 11:20 PM

The antitrust exemption does not allow baseball to violate labor agreements.

Daver
10-05-2010, 11:30 PM
The antitrust exemption does not allow baseball to violate labor agreements.

It does limit their liabilities though, MLB got off easy when they were found guilty of three charges of collusion, unlike any other industry they were protected from paying the treble damages that anyone else would pay, and only paid simple damages of 250+ million to the MLBPA, the damages should have been close to a billion.

ewokpelts
10-06-2010, 01:22 AM
The commissioner is the representative of the league.

The owners on an individual basis do not have an anti trust exception, but collectively the league does.

Selig has made himself the most powerful commissioner the game has ever had, but was it done to benefit the league, or just the owners bottom line?

Without the anti trust exception MLB could not legally own a franchise, in any other sport the league would be guilty of establishing a monopoly, let's not start anointing Bud as a visionary pioneer for trying to cover up Jeffrey Loria's dirty laundry.who owns the league? it's 30 member clubs.

btw, have you ever seen any previous comissioner try and mediate a labor impasse?

have you ever seen a previous comissioner order players back to work " for the good of the game?"

thought so.....

ewokpelts
10-06-2010, 01:24 AM
btw, who's the current owner of the Phoenix Coyotes?

the National Hockey League.

last i checked, they dont have an antitrust exemption.

Daver
10-06-2010, 10:31 PM
who owns the league? it's 30 member clubs.

btw, have you ever seen any previous comissioner try and mediate a labor impasse?

have you ever seen a previous comissioner order players back to work " for the good of the game?"

thought so.....

Fay Vincent tried, the owners chose to oust him instead when he refused to be their enforcer.

btw, who's the current owner of the Phoenix Coyotes?

the National Hockey League.

last i checked, they dont have an antitrust exemption.

All it takes is one NHL owner to run to federal court and file a monopoly suit, and the NHL is guilty, as a business they can't try to create a monopoly, and the NHL is a business, whereas MLB is NOT a business, because the supreme court declared MLB as a sport, and not a business, in 1922.

Dub25
10-07-2010, 01:35 AM

Exactly.

ewokpelts
10-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Fay Vincent tried, the owners chose to oust him instead when he refused to be their enforcer.

All it takes is one NHL owner to run to federal court and file a monopoly suit, and the NHL is guilty, as a business they can't try to create a monopoly, and the NHL is a business, whereas MLB is NOT a business, because the supreme court declared MLB as a sport, and not a business, in 1922.and why would rocky wirtz or any one of the other 29 NHL governors file suit against the league? especially when the 30 owners are set to make a profit from the sale of the coyotes?

Daver
10-07-2010, 10:29 PM
and why would rocky wirtz or any one of the other 29 NHL governors file suit against the league? especially when the 30 owners are set to make a profit from the sale of the coyotes?

Why would you be obtuse enough to drag something that I don't even consider a sport into a baseball discussion?

I merely pointed out the facts as they relate to this discussion. I don't give a rat's ass about the NHL, and I never will, and it does not change the FACT that the NHL can be found guilty of creating a monopoly, even if it is filed by a potential buyer.

ewokpelts
10-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Why would you be obtuse enough to drag something that I don't even consider a sport into a baseball discussion?

I merely pointed out the facts as they relate to this discussion. I don't give a rat's ass about the NHL, and I never will, and it does not change the FACT that the NHL can be found guilty of creating a monopoly, even if it is filed by a potential buyer.ok. it looks like rational discussion wont be coming from you on this topic.

i used the NHL as a comparison to the expos/nationals situation with mlb. the only big diferance was that the coyotes went through bankruptcy and the nhl bought them to seek out a buyer themselves. the 30 teams all voted to authorize thier joint corporation( the league) to purchase an asset. with the intention of re-selling to a suitable buyer.

same thing happened in mlb, except the expos werent bankrupt.

mlb bought the expos for reportedly 220 million, and sold them off as the washington nationals for 450 million. a profit of 230 million that i presume went back to each club. if the sox got an equal share(not assuming the league used the money in other ways), then they recieved roughly 7.9 million dollars in pure profit.

AND...washington is locked into one of the most favorable leases in mlb(even better than the sox reportedly). a deal negotiated by :reinsy: and overseen by selig.

so washington will have a team for at least 25-30 years, and congress isnt barking up the antitrust tree anymore. AND the owners pocketed close to 48 million for thier efforts.

looks like bud really screwed that pooch, eh?

Daver
10-08-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm not going to bother wading through those blocks of lower case letters.