PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Wants Manny Back

SCCWS
09-28-2010, 09:26 PM
In an interview w Boston TV, Ozzie said he hopes Manny will be back in 2011. Said he felt a healthy Manny could be a big contributor next year.

Milw
09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
As nauseating as that notion is, at least it shows that Ozzie is open to ditching his idiotic DH-by-committee idea...

soltrain21
09-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Bigger threat than anything else we would march out there. We would still need an impact right fielder, though.

Ranger
09-28-2010, 10:12 PM
As nauseating as that notion is, at least it shows that Ozzie is open to ditching his idiotic DH-by-committee idea...

The idea itself isn't idiotic. It kept Konerko healthy for a full season and he had his best year ever.

WhiteSox5187
09-28-2010, 10:18 PM
The idea itself isn't idiotic. It kept Konerko healthy for a full season and he had his best year ever.

Agreed, it was the execution that was lacking. Christ, I think the Twins had the same idea at the start of the season. So did the Yankees.

Red Barchetta
09-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Agreed, it was the execution that was lacking. Christ, I think the Twins had the same idea at the start of the season. So did the Yankees.

The idea is sound. However you need better players than Kotsay and Jones.

WhiteSox5187
09-28-2010, 10:23 PM
The idea is sound. However you need better players than Kotsay and Jones.

Agreed and while people love to blame the fact that Jones and Kotsay were the DHs at the start of the season on Ozzie, he wasn't the only one who thought that was a good idea.

Domeshot17
09-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Agreed and while people love to blame the fact that Jones and Kotsay were the DHs at the start of the season on Ozzie, he wasn't the only one who thought that was a good idea.

Actually, he was. He is the one who said he wouldn't give full time abs to anyone brought in, and he is the one specifically said he has to find the abs to keep kotsay and jones fresh. He wanted to use the DH spot to keep his bench fresh.

WhiteSox5187
09-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Actually, he was. He is the one who said he wouldn't give full time abs to anyone brought in, and he is the one specifically said he has to find the abs to keep kotsay and jones fresh. He wanted to use the DH spot to keep his bench fresh.

No, he said he wanted to give his position players rest by letting them use the DH, like Konerko. And for Konerko it has seemed to work. The idea was you have a DH who can also play the field so guys like Konerko can have a day off without losing their bat.

WhiteSox5187
09-28-2010, 10:28 PM

There's also the fact that the guy whose job it is to assemble the roster signed off on that idea.

A. Cavatica
09-28-2010, 10:33 PM
No, he said he wanted to give his position players rest by letting them use the DH, like Konerko. And for Konerko it has seemed to work. The idea was you have a DH who can also play the field so guys like Konerko can have a day off without losing their bat.

Except that whatever you gain by resting Konerko is lost by playing Kotsay!

Domeshot17
09-28-2010, 10:39 PM

Well, you can think it worked out if you want. The bottom line is this awesome Ozzie-ball idea did exactly what it was going to do, had the DH produce the 13th most RBI's in the AL. From a position that is purely offensive, thats basically having the 3rd worst DH in the league.

Ozzie pined for Kotsay. Hopefully this offseason, Kenny just builds a real team and tells Ozzie to shut up and manage it. Yes, the rotating DH can work if you have 4 starting calibur players. If you can't get the right mix, you get a real DH.

VMSNS
09-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Absolutely not. I want no part of Manny Ramirez next season.

guillensdisciple
09-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Take him in a heart beat for a reasonable price. I think he can work here.

palehozenychicty
09-28-2010, 11:34 PM

Exactly. His presence can help some of these guys learn how to work counts and show some plate discipline.

hi im skot
09-28-2010, 11:36 PM
I would be okay with this for the right price.

Noneck
09-28-2010, 11:41 PM

What kept him healthy? DHing 5 games more games and playing 1st less than 10 games than he did in 09?

Is the DH by committee a bad idea? Probably not with the right bench.

Did the DH by committee keep PK healthy for a full season? I truly doubt that.

Nellie_Fox
09-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Please, no Manny. I won't be able to take a whole season of changing channels every time he comes to the plate.

WhiteSox5187
09-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Please, no Manny. I won't be able to take a whole season of changing channels every time he comes to the plate.

I think he's done. He can't catch up to a fastball above 90 anymore.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Bring him, PK, and AJ back, a throw Morel and Vizquel at 3rd, I'd be happy going into 2011.

Santos and/or Sale can replace Jenks.

Manny's been awful for us. Then again, so was Rios last year.He said this has felt like spring training to him... I mean really... was it reasonable to expect him to come here and play like he had been playing all season?

thomas35forever
09-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Manny's been awful for us. Then again, so was Rios last year.

Nellie_Fox
09-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Manny's been awful for us. Then again, so was Rios last year.Rios could play defense, and didn't represent everything that's wrong with professional sports.

CLR01
09-29-2010, 12:41 AM
If Ozzie wants him it has to be the right move.

AlexRios51
09-29-2010, 01:13 AM
Absolutely not. I want no part of Manny Ramirez next season.

Exactly, we are where were at now because of what ozzie wanted. Plus manny will want way too much and 2yr deal probably.

RadioheadRocks
09-29-2010, 01:52 AM
He said this has felt like spring training to him... I mean really... was it reasonable to expect him to come here and play like he had been playing all season?

And what in fresh hell does Manny know about Spring Training anyway??? :rolleyes:

BoKnowsBest
09-29-2010, 03:50 AM
Why wouldn't Manny know anything about spring training? He was out there every day working just like the rest of the guys.

I really wish some people actually understood the behind the scenes work these guys put in during the spring. Its not just hanging out in the nice warm Arizona sun and having a couple hours of batting practice or whatever during the day then maybe playing a game at night, they're there well before the gates open to get their actual workouts in before playing nice with the public.

cards press box
09-29-2010, 06:27 AM

Having Manny at DH next year wouldn't necessarily change how the Sox use the DH position to keep Konerko fresh, assuming that the Sox re-sign PK for next year. Manny is at a point where he can't play every day anyway, even at DH. The Sox could still DH Konerko once or twice a week and play someone else at 1B. That someone else could be Viciedo unless he is back in AAA next year.

ewokpelts
09-29-2010, 07:13 AM
In an interview w Boston TV, Ozzie said he hopes Manny will be back in 2011. Said he felt a healthy Manny could be a big contributor next year.not for 17 million.

LITTLE NELL
09-29-2010, 07:46 AM
No to Manny.
Yes to Adam Dunn.

soxfanatlanta
09-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Good lord, no.

hawkjt
09-29-2010, 07:56 AM
As always, you have to see the list of alternatives before you flat rule it out.
If Manny is the guy we have seen this month? No.
If he shows that with spring training that he can drive the ball again? Maybe.
He cannot catch up to the heat right now.
But, that Bard vs Manny battle in the 8th last nite was epic.
Manny could not get around on that 101 mph stuff,but he stayed alive.
Big at bat in this game,and resulted in the tying run.
If the price is right, and he is in shape...he is on the list of possibilities.

Craig Grebeck
09-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Sure beats shelling out money for Adam Dunn.

Hitmen77
09-29-2010, 08:08 AM

....and yet Ozzie now wants Manny back for next year even though he'd most likely be a full time DH. :scratch:

At any rate, I doubt this Boras-client is coming back. He might be almost done, but there's still likely to be other teams out there who will throw more money at him than he's worth.

Craig Grebeck
09-29-2010, 08:10 AM
I agree with Ranger re: Konerko, and I'd be perfectly fine with a rotating DH so long as it meant there would be a good defense on the field most days and a capable lineup 1-9.

hawkjt
09-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Cowley was pot-stirring this morning on the Score, saying he thinks PK,AJ and Jenks are all gone. If true, forget manny.
Cowley got some more shots in at Kenny for ''causing Ozzie to go off the last week''. Hey Joe, retire from the Sox beat already,ok?

Craig Grebeck
09-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Cowley was pot-stirring this morning on the Score, saying he thinks PK,AJ and Jenks are all gone. If true, forget manny.
Cowley got some more shots in at Kenny for ''causing Ozzie to go off the last week''. Hey Joe, retire from the Sox beat already,ok?
Thankfully, Cowley and his $2 haircut won't be covering the Sox after this season.

If PK, AJ, and Jenks are all gone -- well, c'est la vie. That's fine. Improve the team in other areas and live and die with the pitching.

kufram
09-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Does Ozzie really want Manny back or just responding to a one-off question with a friendly reply?

I hope they stick with the DH plan and get the execution better. I'm not sure Manny fits into that plan.

Moses_Scurry
09-29-2010, 08:46 AM
A heavily incentive-laced, one year contract with a low base would be fine with me. I'm not sure it would be fine with Manny though.

Dan H
09-29-2010, 09:11 AM
I think of Manny and what he's done, and that makes the idea appealing. But I also think he's a disaster waiting to happen. What happens when this guy loses his motivation? It won't matter how much talent he has left. I'd rather see the team move in another direction and do something else to change the face of the team. Besides, if Konerko is not returning, neither should Manny.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Damn it, I would have figured a month of completely disinterested, light-hitting Manny Ramirez should have clued anyone paying attention that he's an over-the-hill roider without his magic powers.

Time for Manny to disappear.

spawn
09-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Damn it, I would have figured a month of completely disinterested, light-hitting Manny Ramirez should have clued anyone paying attention that he's an over-the-hill roider without his magic powers.

Time for Manny to disappear.

I never wanted him here in the first place. Ozzie, no! Bad Ozzie!

dickallen15
09-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Manny has driven in 2 runs as a White Sox. Considering his baggage, why would anyone want him back? He'll be 39 years old. Pass.

khan
09-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Hasn't Ozzie opened his pie hole enough this week?

Hasn't he come up with ENOUGH stupid player personnel ideas to last a lifetime?

Hasn't Ozzie stated publicly that he wouldn't want to be a GM in MLB?

So why is he opening his stupid pie hole again?

I'm not opposed to having an actual professional hitter as the DH here. But I'm not sold on the idea of that hitter being a 39 year old 'roider who has issues with intrinsic motivation.
[BTW, has Manny really been good for an extended period of time since he's been proven to be a cheat?]

Yes he has. His OPS numbers have been good in recent seasons.

eriqjaffe
09-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Manny has driven in 2 runs as a White Sox. Considering his baggage, why would anyone want him back? He'll be 39 years old. Pass."

Omar Vizquel has a higher slugging percentage in September. Just sayin'.

Tragg
09-29-2010, 01:34 PM

The reason that Konerko had a great year is because Guillen put a guy who can't hit as DH?
LOL Good one.

Foulke You
09-29-2010, 02:17 PM
I think he's done. He can't catch up to a fastball above 90 anymore.
This is my biggest concern about signing Manny next year. I was all for bringing him in this year and I still think it was the right move at the time. However, as you pointed out, he has been late on average fastballs which is usually a sign of declining bat speed. He is likely off the juice and is 38 years old. If they do bring Manny back, it better be an incentive based deal and they better have a Plan B if it doesn't work out.

soxinem1
09-29-2010, 03:27 PM

Yes, but only if AJ and Konerko come back. Why have Manny and two major question marks in the lineup?

If those two go, no way Manny comes back.

But if Paulie and AJ are still on the team, then either Manny or someone like him needs to be on the team. I'll take 100 games of Manny at DH and 10-15 in LF, health permitting.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 03:29 PM
The reason that Konerko had a great year is because Guillen put a guy who can't hit as DH?
LOL Good one.

:rolleyes:

Don't play stupid.

PaleHoser
09-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Only if he comes back for free. The Sox have already paid him enough for next year too.

Tragg
09-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Hopefully the Sox had some professionals watching Manny can get a good feel whether he can still hit.
Hopefully these are not the same ones who picked out Teahen nor ozzie guillen

Tragg
09-29-2010, 06:33 PM
:rolleyes:

Don't play stupid.
Stupid? You tell me what aspect of DH by committee contributed to Konerko's great year?

BringHomeDaBacon
09-29-2010, 07:31 PM

Complete nonsense. Thome played in 143, 130, 149 and 107 (before the trade) games from 2006-2009. Those aren't even games started. Between Thome's various ailments and options to sit him versus tough lefties there were more than enough opportunities to DH Konerko. This line of thinking is nothing but a misguided attempt to somehow give Ozzie "credit" for Konerko's career year when in fact he deserves none. And even if you do believe this to be the case then Ozzie has to be blamed for not keeping Konerko healthy the previous four years by playing him at first too much. You can't have it both ways.

mcsoxfan
09-29-2010, 11:59 PM
No to Manny.
Yes to Adam Dunn.

If I were the owner, KW's marching orders would be to bring me Dunn, Adrian Beltre to play third and Crawford to play left.

The Sox should have a payroll in the 170-180 million dollar range.

Gamers not grinders.

doublem23
09-30-2010, 12:04 AM
If I were the owner, KW's marching orders would be to bring me Dunn, Adrian Beltre to play third and Crawford to play left.

The Sox should have a payroll in the 170-180 million dollar range.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now you're just trolling.

doublem23
09-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Stupid? You tell me what aspect of DH by committee contributed to Konerko's great year?

I'm not saying I advocate the idea, but you obviously know he was referring to the fact that the DH by committee allowed Konerko more rest, and not the fact that Kotsay can't hit the ball.

So yeah, stop playing stupid.

Nellie_Fox
09-30-2010, 12:16 AM
The Sox should have a payroll in the 170-180 million dollar range.:rolling:

wassagstdu
09-30-2010, 05:42 AM
Of course Ozzie wants Manny back. Now that he can't get around on a fastball he has become a grinder.

dickallen15
09-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Complete nonsense. Thome played in 143, 130, 149 and 107 (before the trade) games from 2006-2009. Those aren't even games started. Between Thome's various ailments and options to sit him versus tough lefties there were more than enough opportunities to DH Konerko. This line of thinking is nothing but a misguided attempt to somehow give Ozzie "credit" for Konerko's career year when in fact he deserves none. And even if you do believe this to be the case then Ozzie has to be blamed for not keeping Konerko healthy the previous four years by playing him at first too much. You can't have it both ways.

Correct. Konerko has DH'd 21 games this season. Last year he DH'd 18 games. People can think his extra "rest" made all the difference in the world, but the truth is it was no different than when they had a productive DH.

GoSox2K3
09-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Correct. Konerko has DH'd 21 games this season. Last year he DH'd 18 games. People can think his extra "rest" made all the difference in the world, but the truth is it was no different than when they had a productive DH.

Damn you for bringing up "facts" into the "No DH = Great Year for Paulie" argument!!!

asindc
09-30-2010, 07:58 AM

Damn you for bringing up "facts" into the "No DH = Great Year for Paulie" argument!!!

Not that you guys don't have a valid point, but you also have to account for the 10 fewer games Pauly has started at 1B this year so far versus last year, which was really thie point of having a DH versatile enough to play a field position. And just in case anyone has forgotten or just plain missed my previous posts regarding Kotsay, I do not think he was the right choice for the job.