PDA

View Full Version : Nancy appreciation thread

DumpJerry
09-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Today starts the final homestand with Nancy.

For a lot of us, Nancy was someone who really made going to the ballpark a great time. During those years in the 70's when a 70 win season gave us a reason to dance in the streets (as opposed to an 85 win season causing us to call for the Manager's head), Nancy made Comiskey worth going to.

I miss the days when Harry would start the 7th Inning Stretch with "Everybody! Lemme hear ya! Alright Nancy, take it away!!" and then after "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," she would go right in the Mickey Mouse song. Fun times.

This thread will be stuck until she plays her final chords on Sunday. She deserves it.

jdm2662
09-27-2010, 04:40 PM
I went to the box office this weekend to buy tickets for Sunday. I'm never into going to late season games that mean nothing, but I wanted to be there for Nancy's last game. I also got half price tickets, too!

salty99
09-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Sunday is the only game she'll be at correct?

DumpJerry
09-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Sunday is the only game she'll be at correct?
I assume it will be unless someone on here with inside information can enlighten us otherwise.

TornLabrum
09-27-2010, 11:44 PM
We just picked up our tickets for Sunday today. I've been a fan for 41 seasons, and she's a good friend. I couldn't even get close on her "day," so I hope I get to wish her a happy retirement this week.

tacosalbarojas
09-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the memories Nance. And hey if managers can be brought back, why not organists? Wishful thinking, perhaps, but one day shows here and there wouldn't be all bad!

KenBerryGrab
09-28-2010, 12:06 AM
When the Sox started rolling in '72, so did we, to the park almost every other night, it seemed like. If they were in town, and I didn't have a game, my dad would come home and say "get in the car!"

We'd roll down, buy $3 reserved grandstand seats upstairs, often near the press box, and go talk to Nancy at least once a game. Her quick wit that glorious summer, when Dick picked us all up on his back, taught me a lot how music can comment on life's events.

Through teams good and, let's face it, mostly bad, she has made our lives better with every smile of recognition, and we'll be the poorer after she plays her last note on Sunday.

Bye, Nancy. Thanks. We'll all keep away from Runaround Sue without you from now on.

soxfanreggie
09-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Going back to my first and fondest memories of the Sox, I will always appreciate what Nancy added to the White Sox organization. She is a Hall-of-Famer and completely class act in my book.

Here's to you Nancy for making the ballgame atmosphere that much better!

Lip Man 1
09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Met Nancy once in May 2006 and she seemed to be a very nice lady.

Would love to have the chance to see some of the items she has saved over the decades regarding the Sox. I've been told for example that she has tapes of games televised in the 1970's including one where Dick Allen broke up a Nolan Ryan potential no hitter and won the game to boot.

She will be missed but I hope she has a long and enjoyable retirement.

Maybe she can come back for special things like Sox Fest or the home opener in the future.

Lip

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I regret not getting photos with her last year when my kids got to meet her for the 1st time. One of a kind, and she'll truly be missed. :D::gulp:

Noneck
09-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Back in the early to mid 70's I used to go by Nancy once a game and request a song for her to play. She always played it. Yea, I also flirted with her, I thought she was a doll. Great memories now for a old fart.

tebman
09-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Nancy's music and good cheer are so fundamental to my memory of the White Sox that it's tough to think about the club without her sounds threaded through it. I've spoken with her at her position in both the old and new ballparks a number of times, as have so many others, and without fail she's been funny and gracious.

Her combination of musical skill and wit set the standard. All those situation-specific canned songs played at sporting events can be traced back to Nancy's ability to do melodic one-liners on her keyboard. My wife is also an organist/pianist and has long admired Nancy's recall of melodies and riffs. There are thousands but here are a few that stand out as I type:

* Playing the old-school "Hudson 3-2700" jingle when Dan Hudson was introduced.
* Playing "The Heat Is On" when the Sox went on a scoring tear with a string of hits.
* Playing "What Kind of Fool Am I" when two morons ran on the field and were chased down by security.
* Playing "Reunited" when Eric Soderholm came up to bat after being traded to the Rangers in 1979.
* Playing "Why Can't We Be Friends" during a dugout-emptying scrum.
* Playing "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" when Pete Incaviglia came up to bat.
* And the inspired choice of "Kiss Him Goodbye" when an opposing pitcher was knocked out of a game. Though she didn't plan it, it became our anthem and she always knew just how to use the tempo, the chord choices, and the volume to ride the mood of the moment and of the crowd.

In so many ways she's simply the best. Thanks, Nancy, for all the smiles you gave us.

Noneck
09-29-2010, 01:30 PM
I've been told for example that she has tapes of games televised in the 1970's including one where Dick Allen broke up a Nolan Ryan potential no hitter and won the game to boot.

Lip

Hope we dont have to wait for her heirs to find that in her basement, like the 1960 7th game of World Series by the Crosby heirs.

rcescato
09-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Today starts the final homestand with Nancy.

For a lot of us, Nancy was someone who really made going to the ballpark a great time. During those years in the 70's when a 70 win season gave us a reason to dance in the streets (as opposed to an 85 win season causing us to call for the Manager's head), Nancy made Comiskey worth going to.

I miss the days when Harry would start the 7th Inning Stretch with "Everybody! Lemme hear ya! Alright Nancy, take it away!!" and then after "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," she would go right in the Mickey Mouse song. Fun times.

This thread will be stuck until she plays her final chords on Sunday. She deserves it.
Mickey mouse, donald duck, lol I use to love that. And after that roll out the barrel:)

downstairs
09-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Thank you for for 30 years of memories, Nancy!

Andy T Clown
09-30-2010, 11:46 PM
:giverose::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::gulp:

Thank you

LongLiveFisk
10-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Nancy, thank you SO MUCH for all the great memories. You were such a big part of what made coming to the ballpark so much fun. I am glad I will be there this Sunday to give you one final cheer. :smile:

:party:

SOXSINCE'70
10-01-2010, 06:06 PM

AMEN!!:cool:

FielderJones
10-02-2010, 10:50 PM

AMEN!!:cool:

Actually, it's 40 years. The end of an era. :(:

Viva Medias B's
10-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Thank you, Nancy! I'll be there to hear your performance tomorrow.

TornLabrum
10-02-2010, 11:16 PM

41 years if you count actual baseball seasons she played.

StillMissOzzie
10-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Thanks for so many great years and great memories, especially when the action on the field wasn't worth watching. I always enjoyed trying to figure out why Nancy would play a particular tune for certain players. Some were obvious, but some were noggin-scratchers, like when I didn't know the title of some of the older stuff.

Live long and prosper in your retirement, Nancy.

SMO
:gulp:

hula
10-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for starting this thread!!

I remember my mom telling me one day, "the Sox just hired a young woman right out of college to be their organist!" A year later when I started going to games with a high school friend, when I saw her for the first time, she called us over and started talking to us, even while she was playing the organ. We thought it was so cool and every time I'd go to a game I'd stop by and say hello, like so many fans did. Really a game wasn't complete without stopping by to visit with Nancy.

A couple weeks ago I drove up from North Carolina for her day. It was touch and go if we'd make it, but I'm sooo glad we did!! It was a wonderful tribute.

The game experience will never be the same for me w/out her there. Thanks for 41 years of being so an important part of White Sox baseball, Nancy!! You will be missed more than you can imagine.

GoSox2K3
10-03-2010, 05:11 PM
It won't be the same at the ballpark next year without Nancy Faust. She's seen a lot of Sox history being there since 1970.

I hope she enjoys a healthy and happy retirement!

Ozzie might find her annoying like a vuvuzela, but he can take his comment and shove it.

esbrechtel
10-03-2010, 05:12 PM
You will be missed Nancy!

margiss
10-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Best wishes to Nancy Faust who represented the organization well for 40+ years!

I am glad to have shared the Nancy experience with my son (9) this year. We had stopped to say best wishes and were welcomed into the organ room (aka Nancy's office) for "Take me out to the ballgame" up close. A great experience captured on video by my son.

From taking requests in the upper deck as Comiskey to bringing joy to hte next generation . . . Thanks Nancy!

DrCrawdad
10-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Anyone hear the last tunes Nancy played? I was wondering if she'd finish with "Na-Na-Na-Hey, Hey Goodbye..."

I thought it would be cool if she finished with The Beatles "The End" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI38vPDCoao) just after the guitar solos by John, Paul and George.

Best wishes Nancy. Thanks making Comiskey Park (and The Cell) a bit more pleasantly plangent.

ode to veeck
10-03-2010, 07:23 PM
The end of an era ... not just Nancy but the live played music too, now to be completely replaced with canned crap. We'll miss ya Nancy!

downstairs
10-03-2010, 07:28 PM

I meant 30 years I've been a fan. 30 years of memories for me... but either way, thanks Nancy!

DumpJerry
10-03-2010, 08:57 PM
It was great hearing your final Na Na Goodbye and TMOTTBG today. Enjoy your retirement!:gulp:

Hitmen77
10-03-2010, 09:29 PM
The end of an era ... not just Nancy but the live played music too, now to be completely replaced with canned crap. We'll miss ya Nancy!

Is this confirmed? I thought the Sox were planning to hire a new organist for next year.

Viva Medias B's
10-03-2010, 10:03 PM
It won't be the same at the ballpark next year without Nancy Faust. She's seen a lot of Sox history being there since 1970.

I hope she enjoys a healthy and happy retirement!

Ozzie might find her annoying like a vuvuzela, but he can take his comment and shove it.

Did Ozzie say something to that effect? I don't recall hearing about it. If so, shame on him.

Anyone hear the last tunes Nancy played? I was wondering if she'd finish with "Na-Na-Na-Hey, Hey Goodbye..."

I thought it would be cool if she finished with The Beatles "The End" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI38vPDCoao) just after the guitar solos by John, Paul and George.

Best wishes Nancy. Thanks making Comiskey Park (and The Cell) a bit more pleasantly plangent.

After "Na Na...," Nancy played a tune I did not recognize. I remained several minutes after that, and she didn't play anything then because she was inundated with well wishers.

Is this confirmed? I thought the Sox were planning to hire a new organist for next year.

Could they bring Frank Pellico in?

soltrain21
10-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Did Ozzie say something to that effect? I don't recall hearing about it. If so, shame on him.

After "Na Na...," Nancy played a tune I did not recognize. I remained several minutes after that, and she didn't play anything then because she was inundated with well wishers.

Could they bring Frank Pellico in?

Yes. He said it's fun at first but then gets annoying, like a vuvuzuela (or him).

tebman
10-03-2010, 11:21 PM

The last song she played was "This Used To Be My Playground," the song from the movie "A League of Their Own." A poignant choice.

We were at the game today and before and after the game I went by her booth. There were hundreds of people lined up to visit with her. I didn't get to talk with her but I got some pictures. She did play "Classical Gas" but not "Runaround Sue." Her wit was sharp as ever: when Travis Hafner was at bat the first time, she played "Centerfold," and the second time up she played "The Bunny Hop" (Hafner sounds like Hefner, therefore centerfolds and bunnies :D:). Edwin Jackson got "Thriller" in commemoration of the last name he shares with a one-gloved entertainer.

Luke Carlin got a different "Star Wars" tune every time he came to bat. :cool:

She played a tune for Jordan Brown that drove me nuts because I recognized the melody but couldn't think of the title -- did anybody catch that?

The musical one-liners made me realize again how much I'm going to miss her work next year. I really hope whoever's hired to fill the spot has half as much whimsicality and sass.

Thanks again, Nancy. :clap:

:giverose:

soltrain21
10-03-2010, 11:24 PM
She played "Blackbird" for Trevor Crowe, too. I laughed.

tacosalbarojas
10-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Everyone else pretty much hit the nail on the head. The highlight for me was after asking specifically for Classical Gas before the game, she got to play it for Thornton in lieu of his intro music. The Sox did a wonderful job of staying out of the way and letting Nancy play. Thank you for that White Sox. Games just won't be the same without Nancy.

artwestland
10-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Everyone else pretty much hit the nail on the head. The highlight for me was after asking specifically for Classical Gas before the game, she got to play it for Thornton in lieu of his intro music. The Sox did a wonderful job of staying out of the way and letting Nancy play. Thank you for that White Sox. Games just won't be the same without Nancy.

Yep. I'm glad they gave Nancy free reign on her last day. Hearing someone play live was so much better than the usual pre-recorded music bits.

P.S. After the game there was a line at least 4 blocks long of people waiting to meet Nancy.

LongLiveFisk
10-04-2010, 12:19 AM
She played a tune for Jordan Brown that drove me nuts because I recognized the melody but couldn't think of the title -- did anybody catch that?

It was "Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter." :cool:

tebman
10-04-2010, 12:30 AM

It was "Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter." :cool:

Thank you! :kneeslap:

That was gnawing at me all night.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-04-2010, 01:20 AM
I made sure to go and get a picture with her before the game today. I'm far too young still to fully appreciate her like some of the older Sox fans on this board, but she's responsible for making the song "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" have more meaning to me than just another song.

cards press box
10-04-2010, 03:13 AM

The last song she played was "This Used To Be My Playground," the song from the movie "A League of Their Own." A poignant choice.

Nancy did play This Used To Be My Playground in the 9th inning but it wasn't her last song. After the last out, Nancy played a riff from Steam's Kiss Her Goodbye and then played her final song -- the Jackson 5's Never Can Say Goodbye.

I thought it was a great and inspired choice, as it reflected the wit she always displayed during these many years behind the organ. It was self deprecating, funny and, in a bittersweet way, reflected the difficulty that we fans had saying goodbye to her and perhaps the difficulty she had saying goodbye to so many people who want to see her keep playing forever.

Well, that would have been ok, too. I have always thought that the love you take is equal to the love you make and, you know, it always seemed that a lot of love went into Nancy's craft.

It will not feel like Sox park without her.

October26
10-04-2010, 08:35 AM
:hug:Thank you, Nancy :giverose:for being such a special part of White Sox baseball over these last 41 years. :clap:

I will miss you so much.

ChiSoxGirl
10-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Nancy did play This Used To Be My Playground in the 9th inning but it wasn't her last song. After the last out, Nancy played a riff from Steam's Kiss Her Goodbye and then played her final song -- the Jackson 5's Never Can Say Goodbye.

I thought it was a great and inspired choice, as it reflected the wit she always displayed during these many years behind the organ. It was self deprecating, funny and, in a bittersweet way, reflected the difficulty that we fans had saying goodbye to her and perhaps the difficulty she had saying goodbye to so many people who want to see her keep playing forever.

Well, that would have been ok, too. I have always thought that the love you take is equal to the love you make and, you know, it always seemed that a lot of love went into Nancy's craft.

It will not feel like Sox park without her.

There was a write-up on the back page of the Tribune Sports section yesterday by Steve Rosenbloom about Nancy. He asked her what song would summarize her last day in the booth, and she referenced "that song from A League of Their Own." It was great to hear her play "This Used to be My Playground" in the ninth inning; a perfect choice.

Hitmen77
10-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Trib interview with Nancy:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-1003-nancy-faust-out-loud--20101001,0,1427624.story

Procol Harum
10-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all your wit and charm these many years, Nancy--you added a great deal to all Sox fans' enjoyment of the team, stadiums, and the Game.

Dick Allen
10-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I remember her playing out in the CF bleachers her first year. She took a break one time and visited with some of us sitting out there. A very nice lady, she will be sorely missed.

TornLabrum
10-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Well, I did get to see Nance for about 30 seconds yesterday, but the media types came swooping in before I had a chance to say much. At least we got a last hug in. We did get a chance to talk to Joe and Eric, though, for a couple of minutes, and Jeff and Steph got to see her long enough for me to get a picture of them with her although we didn't have enough time for them to reciprocate.

All I know is that she's a great friend and I'll miss her at the ballpark. Good luck in the future, Nance!

Bucky F. Dent
10-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks, Nancy! :whiner:

playground
10-06-2010, 02:57 PM
No, Thanks to ALL OF YOU. Your kind words have simply overwhelmed me. A person could not have asked for a better life. To me, it was about experiencing fan interaction. Thank you Bill Veeck for placing the 1st organist in the stands. I will cherish the memories forever. Nancy Faust

KenBerryGrab
10-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Nancy! We miss you already! Welcome to our playground!

esbrechtel
10-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Nancy you will be sorely missed!

Noneck
10-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Grobber and Ranger move aside, The Queen has joined the forum.

Ms. Faust enjoy all your extra time now.

Nellie_Fox
10-06-2010, 03:35 PM
:welcome: :giverose:

GoGoCrede
10-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Awesome. We love you, Nancy. :smile:

MeteorsSox4367
10-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Nancy: Back in '77 when you first started playing "Na, Na, Na, Hey, Hey...", you made a 10-year-old kid really deepen his affection for all things White Sox.

You also made me go to Kroozin' Music on Archer and California and order the 45 (that's a record for you younger kids) because I really liked the song.

Anyway, your music was the soundtrack to a lot of Interlake Straight-A games with my family against California, Cleveland and Texas.

Lastly, when Boston pulled Matt Clement in the playoffs in 2005, the beginning notes of "Na, Na, Na..." will be something that will give me goosebumps for a long time.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all that you did for everyone who calls him/herself a Sox fan.

All the best.

tacosalbarojas
10-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for getting in that last "Classical Gas" Nancy!

Ex-Chicagoan
10-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I can honestly say I've never been to a Sox game where Nancy wasn't playing. She was as much a part of the experience for me as the ballgame itself.

Nancy - welcome aboard, and enjoy a well-earned retirement!

tebman
10-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Nancy, I've enjoyed your work from the beginning. My wife is an organist too and has long admired your ability to ad-lib by ear.

You brightened many a dark night at the ballpark. Thank you for sharing your gift with us!

:clap:

Streets
10-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Opening day just isn't going to be the same without you!

Enjoy your retirement!

LongLiveFisk
10-06-2010, 07:36 PM
No, Thanks to ALL OF YOU. Your kind words have simply overwhelmed me. A person could not have asked for a better life. To me, it was about experiencing fan interaction. Thank you Bill Veeck for placing the 1st organist in the stands. I will cherish the memories forever. Nancy Faust

Love you, Nancy! :hug: :giverose:

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2010, 08:12 PM
You probably don't remember, but a couple years ago, I dropped by your booth to take a photo with you, and you were so sweet! "Na na na na!" will never be the same. Hope you enjoy your retirement but come back to make some cameo appearances!

SI1020
10-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Nancy I just hope you have an enjoyable retirement and never forget that your honored place in White Sox history and our hearts is permanent.

roylestillman
10-06-2010, 09:20 PM

How cool is this.... Thanks Nancy for the last 40 years.

About 30 years ago I asked you for a request: to play "You Can't Change That" by the immortal Raydio in honor of Bill Veeck when he announced he was selling the club. If I could I'd request it again this time in honor of you.

Happy retirement.

TornLabrum
10-06-2010, 10:20 PM
I'd say welcome, Nancy, but I know you've hung out here for years. Feel free to join in the insanity anytime now that you've broken your silence.

TheCommander
10-07-2010, 09:22 PM

I would say your retirement is akin to a longtime favorite player calling it quits, but your 40+ years of dedication to the Sox and personal relationship with the fans makes it an even greater loss. Thank you so much for your kindness, sense of humor, accessibility and much, much more! You have made a permanent mark on the city and on many Sox fan's hearts. May your future be filled with quality time with family and friends! Enjoy your retirement, Nancy!

Soxfest
10-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks for a great run!:gulp:

Rdy2PlayBall
10-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm not old enough to appreciate, but I'm sad I missed it. Thanks for making a lot of what makes the Sox and their games what they are.

LongLiveFisk
10-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for getting in that last "Classical Gas" Nancy!

I really did enjoy that myself. :thumbsup:

Brian26
10-11-2010, 09:02 PM

Nancy = the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

:worship:

tstrike2000
10-11-2010, 09:08 PM
I've grown up, since becoming a Sox fan in '81, to listening to Nancy's playing at Sox games and I will really miss hearing her.

salty99
10-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Nancy = the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

:worship:

I thought that was Bret Hart? :scratch:

skobabe8
10-12-2010, 06:45 PM

:nancy :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

ode to veeck
10-13-2010, 12:49 AM

a lurker no more ... lol, thanks for all the great years and memories Nancy!

manders_01
10-13-2010, 12:51 AM

Welcome Nancy!!! I was very sorry I didn't make it home this season to say goodbye but know that you will be missed. You are legendary and a true piece of the real baseball experience!

Brian26
10-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Here's a clip of Nancy's speech, which was excellent. I think the beginning is cut-off, but you'll hear most of it:

0dP37hpbUEI&feature=related

chisoxfanatic
10-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for posting that! It sounded like she held up pretty well during her speech. It'll feel weird going to games and not hearing her play.