PDA

View Full Version : Yankees limping towards the finish

BNLSox
09-26-2010, 07:25 PM
With 7 left to play the Yankees are up 5.5 on the Red Sox which sounds insurmountable. HOWEVER, the Yanks play their last home game tonight and if the Red Sox win again they are up 4.5 with 6 remaining.

What I'm getting at here is if the Red Sox put another dent in the Yankee armour tonight, the Yankees will have to sweep the Blue Jays to take this out of the hands of the Red Sox. If the Yanks lose even one game in Toronto and the Red Sox keep rolling the WC could be on the line this weekend at Fenway.

The only thing standing in the way of that fun is our suddenly hot White Sox. As much as I'd like to see us finish strong and lock down second, a sweep at the hands of boston that leads to an EPIC collapse by the Yankees would certainly be fantastic.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, I'm cool if we tank this series with the red sox (as long as the red sox win tonight). If not forget everything I've said.

DumpJerry
09-26-2010, 08:07 PM
**** that. Sweep the Bosox and let the Rays take the division. ESPN will be in total meltdown mode.

Anyway, with an elimination number of 2, the Red Sox chances at the postseason are poor.

TommyJohn
09-26-2010, 08:30 PM
**** that. Sweep the Bosox and let the Rays take the division. ESPN will be in total meltdown mode.

Anyway, with an elimination number of 2, the Red Sox chances at the postseason are poor.
Once the Red Sox are gone, ESPN won't give the baseball postseason the time of day.

DumpJerry
09-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Once the Red Sox are gone, ESPN won't give the baseball postseason the time of day.
They'll still have the Yankees to worship.

Craig Grebeck
09-26-2010, 08:45 PM
I wonder two things:

1. Why do you guys even watch ESPN?
2. Do you even...watch ESPN? You seem to have no grasp whatsoever of what happens on that network.

GoGoCrede
09-26-2010, 10:35 PM
I wonder two things:

2. Do you even...watch ESPN? You seem to have no grasp whatsoever of what happens on that network.

Oh, do educate us.

TommyJohn
09-26-2010, 11:16 PM
I wonder two things:

Oh, do educate us.Yes, please. Thrill us with your knowledge and superiority.

BNLSox
09-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Thread killed by Yankee walkoff. They've essentially locked it down now, we can focus on having a good series against he Red Sox and hoping that the Rays find a way to hang on to first.

Hitmen77
09-27-2010, 10:10 AM
This is the YANKEES we're talking about. They've got a playoff spot all but locked up and I am not going to read anything into how they're playing now and projecting it to how they'll perform once post-season beings.

That being said, among the playoff bound teams, I'll be happy with any other team winning the pennant or World Series as long as the Yankees don't make it.

The only downside if the Yankees don't win a pennant this year is that it would be touted as "vindication" of all the Yankees payroll apologists that their over-the-top spending isn't ruining competition in at least the AL. Only 6 pennants from Bos and NYY since 2000? See! That's proof spending more than other teams can even afford doesn't buy championships!

Hitmen77
09-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Yes, please. Thrill us with your knowledge and superiority.

Oh come on, TJ. You should know by now that every opinion that isn't up to snuff of a great mind amongst us deserves a condescending response. It's the only way we'll learn.

TheOldRoman
09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Yes, please. Thrill us with your knowledge and superiority.:thumbsup:

Oh come on, TJ. You should know by now that every opinion that isn't up to snuff of a great mind amongst us deserves a condescending response. It's the only way we'll learn.How close minded of you. As we speak Grebeck is creating a foolproof statistic to measure exactly how ignorant you were.

downstairs
09-27-2010, 01:27 PM
The Red Sox elimination number for division and wildcard is 1. I highly doubt they win every single one of their remaining games and the Yankees lose every single one of their games.

The only thing left in the AL to decide is whether Tampa or NY Yanks are the division winner or wild card.

doublem23
09-27-2010, 01:38 PM
The only thing left in the AL to decide is whether Tampa or NY Yanks are the division winner or wild card.

Seeding is still very much up for grabs, as well.

downstairs
09-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Seeding is still very much up for grabs, as well.

Is it? I thought because Tampa and NY can't play each other, and because Texas will most certainly be the worst division winner, that it would not matter?

spawn
09-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Is it? I thought because Tampa and NY can't play each other, and because Texas will most certainly be the worst division winner, that it would not matter?

You forgot Minnesota. They still have a shot at the #1 seed. They're only a game behind Tampa.

rdwj
09-27-2010, 03:34 PM
I'd love to see the playoffs without the Yankees or the Red Sox. Actually, throw the Cubs in there too for good measure.

TheOldRoman
09-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Is it? I thought because Tampa and NY can't play each other, and because Texas will most certainly be the worst division winner, that it would not matter?The AL East champ will host the Rangers and the Twins will host the Wild Card (even if the WC has a better record, which is very possible). However, homefield advantage for the ALCS between the East team and the Twins is still to be determined. Not that we should pay much mind to that, seeing as the Twins are primed for another first round faceplant, but the possibility exists they will replace the 2000 Sox as the last AL team with the best record to get swept out of the first round.

doublem23
09-27-2010, 04:58 PM

Matchups are basically set, we know an AL East team will play both MIN and TEX, it's more interesting from the standpoint of who would have homefield in the ALCS. Remember, the wildcard cannot have homefield in the ALCS regardless of record, so the NYY/TB race still has huge implications for the American League playoffs.

09-27-2010, 05:51 PM
So long as the Yankees are healthy going into their first round series with the twins, I don't care how badly they do coming down the stretch. This lineup is just filthy.

SS - Jeter
RF - Swisher
1B - Teixeira
3B - Rodriguez
2B - Cano
C - Posada
DH- Berkman or Thames
CF - Granderson
LF - Garnder

palehozenychicty
09-28-2010, 02:26 AM
So long as the Yankees are healthy going into their first round series with the twins, I don't care how badly they do coming down the stretch. This lineup is just filthy.

SS - Jeter
RF - Swisher
1B - Teixeira
3B - Rodriguez
2B - Cano
C - Posada
DH- Berkman or Thames
CF - Granderson
LF - Garnder

What also makes them so good is that they all take a lot of pitches. They work arms into submission if you don't throw strikes with power.