PDA

View Full Version : White Sox to Experiment with Dynamic Ticket Pricing

DirtySox
09-23-2010, 03:39 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/826044016/jon_must_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/espnchijon) espnchijon (http://twitter.com/espnchijon)
#WhiteSox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhiteSox) to experiment with dynamic pricing for tickets this season: ticket $$ change w/demand, weather, other factors. 27 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/espnchijon/status/25337849146) via web

For the rest of this year apparently.

sox1970
09-23-2010, 03:44 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100923&content_id=14999092&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

soltrain21
09-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Oh, for the rest of the year? I thought it meant going into next year.

No thanks.

doublem23
09-23-2010, 03:50 PM
If I can actually get away with paying $1 for a ticket, maybe they'll sucker me into one more garbagefest.

EDIT: Just read the article. I'm not paying $15 to watch a bunch of millionaires half-ass it.

DirtySox
09-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Oh, for the rest of the year? I thought it meant going into next year.

No thanks.

I thought he was referring to next season as well.

TDog
09-23-2010, 03:56 PM
The Giants do this. It looks like they will draw 3 million this year, but that isn't due to dynamic ticket pricing.

Still, they might sell out the last homestand in advance because there are people, especially brokers (which shouldn't be legal), who will be betting on buying low on tickets that could go up in value.

It makes no sense for the White Sox to try this this year, considering there is no longer any demand for White Sox tickets.

The world was a better place when the most expensive seat in Old Comiskey was $3.50 and the Sox (like the Cubs) held back 20,000 tickets exclusively for day-of-game sale.

keloms
09-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Was already on the fence but, this would make it certain, good bye season tickets.

No way you're getting me to pay my $38-$42 dollars months in advance to a Royals or April, Sept, Oct game only to have someone have the chance to buy it later on for $10-15 right from the box office.

Noneck
09-23-2010, 03:59 PM
I dont see any factors moving ticket prices upward for the Clev series.

ewokpelts
09-23-2010, 04:03 PM
meanwhile, stubhub has PLENTY of tickets WAY WAY BELOW FACE. like $1 a ticket.

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2010, 04:11 PM
The Giants do this. It looks like they will draw 3 million this year, but that isn't due to dynamic ticket pricing.

Still, they might sell out the last homestand in advance because there are people, especially brokers (which shouldn't be legal), who will be betting on buying low on tickets that could go up in value.

It makes no sense for the White Sox to try this this year, considering there is no longer any demand for White Sox tickets.

The world was a better place when the most expensive seat in Old Comiskey was $3.50 and the Sox (like the Cubs) held back 20,000 tickets exclusively for day-of-game sale.

Yes it was.

ewokpelts
09-23-2010, 04:16 PM
i just "experimented" the dynamic pricing scheme on ticketmaster. 2 tix for onday's sox/sox game. sec 153 row 2. $54 a ticket. box office price(no codes) is $53. the SATC code makes that same ticket $43 with discounted fees.

way to go white sox.

btw, i didnt buy the tix. stubhub has upper deck tix for $5 each.

CLR01
09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
:geezer:

mrfourni
09-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Was already on the fence but, this would make it certain, good bye season tickets.

No way you're getting me to pay my $38-$42 dollars months in advance to a Royals or April, Sept, Oct game only to have someone have the chance to buy it later on for $10-15 right from the box office.

I agree completely. I had already decided to dump my tickets next year. With Stubhub, ebay, craigslist, dynamic ticket pricing, and the 1/2 ticket codes for most games, I no longer see much of a benefit in keeping my season tickets. I got stuck with a ton of April/May games that I couldn't give away.

Plus they've charged season ticket holders for playoff money in 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010 and we've gotten to see a grand total of 3 extra games (if you include the tiebreaker)

russ99
09-23-2010, 04:59 PM

Agree.

But it can't hurt the overall atmosphere in the park when more people can afford to go to "dynamically priced" games.

Steelrod
09-23-2010, 05:29 PM

also. no WSI or home computers.

soltrain21
09-23-2010, 05:38 PM

I like my world with technology just fine now.

TDog
09-23-2010, 06:00 PM
I like my world with technology just fine now.

I still don't have a cell phone, but technology has nothing to do with treating fans with respect.

soltrain21
09-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I still don't have a cell phone, but technology has nothing to do with treating fans with respect.

Nothing costs as little as it once did. How does that have ANYTHING to do with respect?

dickallen15
09-23-2010, 07:05 PM
I agree completely. I had already decided to dump my tickets next year. With Stubhub, ebay, craigslist, dynamic ticket pricing, and the 1/2 ticket codes for most games, I no longer see much of a benefit in keeping my season tickets. I got stuck with a ton of April/May games that I couldn't give away.

Plus they've charged season ticket holders for playoff money in 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010 and we've gotten to see a grand total of 3 extra games (if you include the tiebreaker)

Was there a season ticketholder gift this year?

doublem23
09-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Nothing costs as little as it once did. How does that have ANYTHING to do with respect?

Don't you know those were the great days (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2052) when the Sox averaged 17,000 fans per game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1986.shtml).

Brian26
09-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Don't you know those were the great days (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2052) when the Sox averaged 17,000 fans per game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1986.shtml).

That '86 team was putrid though.

To be fair, they drew over two million in '83 and '84.

CLR01
09-23-2010, 08:08 PM
That '86 team was putrid though.

To be fair, they drew over two million in '83 and '84.

They averaged less than 15,000 back in those good old days.

DSpivack
09-23-2010, 08:28 PM
The world was a better place in 2005 when the Sox were on their way to a World Series championship.

Someone had to do it!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-23-2010, 08:35 PM
The world was a better place in 2005 when the Sox were on their way to a World Series championship.

Someone had to do it!

I'm almost certain every Sox fan was flipping out (myself included) when the Indians decided to make up 13.5 games in the span of a month and a half.

If I had been a member of WSI then, I can't imagine how many threads were predicting the inevitable collapse and crowning us the next '69 Cubs.

Steelrod
09-24-2010, 03:11 AM
Besides the usual, there was a Jake Peavy Bobblehead.

ewokpelts
09-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Agree.

But it can't hurt the overall atmosphere in the park when more people can afford to go to "dynamically priced" games.the codes are a better deal. $15 for a $24 indians game that means NOTHING is a crap deal. with FULL tm fees. the GLA code for 10/2 makes lower deck tickets as high as $21.50, with upper as low as $12. with REDUCED fees.

ewokpelts
09-24-2010, 07:40 AM
the mini-stadium replica. and the peavy bobble that was a mail in item.

Quentin08
09-24-2010, 08:23 AM
The White Sox are in a desperate position. They're in a position where they always have to be competitive every season or else attendance will drop lower than any other team in MLB. I honestly think if the Sox dropped 12 games back in May and showed no signs of promise, they would have the worst attendance in MLB. They would be drawing less than Oakland or Cleveland. And when no one shows up, it's a domino effect. The empty stadium saps energy out of the players, no home field advantage, and record just gets worse and worse, year after year. I hope this doesn't happen to the Sox, but I'm afraid we're just seeing the beginning of it.

WhiffleBall
09-24-2010, 08:32 AM
the mini-stadium replica. and the peavy bobble that was a mail in item.

When was the mini-stadium replica sent out?

Hitmen77
09-24-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm almost certain every Sox fan was flipping out (myself included) when the Indians decided to make up 13.5 games in the span of a month and a half.

If I had been a member of WSI then, I can't imagine how many threads were predicting the inevitable collapse and crowning us the next '69 Cubs.

That was the media's job in September 2005.

nccwsfan
09-24-2010, 09:13 AM

It wasn't- STH got a letter in the mail with an offer; bring the letter by Guest Relations for any September game and you get the mini-stadium.

skobabe8
09-24-2010, 09:44 AM
I have not seen a Peavey bobblehead. :scratch:

The Dude
09-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Can my season tickets be reduced to dynamic prices?? I hate seeing the prices for these worthless Red Sox tickets and how I'm going to waste them. :angry:

hi im skot
09-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I have not seen a Peavey bobblehead. :scratch:

Typical Sox bull****.

/ewok'd

TheOldRoman
09-24-2010, 10:17 AM
If I can actually get away with paying $1 for a ticket, maybe they'll sucker me into one more garbagefest.

EDIT: Just read the article. I'm not paying $15 to watch a bunch of millionaires half-ass it.Half-ass it? You'd be lucky to see that. During the past two weeks we have seen several games where they were going eighth-ass at most.

As for the pricing, I don't know what the Sox can learn from it this far into the season (although I am sure they have been planning it for a while). At this point tickets are not worth the paper they are printed on. I am thinking about going to next Saturday's game to see Nancy one last time, but even if I do, I would pick up tickets on stubhub.

dickallen15
09-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Besides the usual, there was a Jake Peavy Bobblehead.
I never received that or the letter for the mini stadium which I'm sure I would have passed on anyway.

nccwsfan
09-24-2010, 10:49 AM
The Peavy bobblehead was a gift before the start of the season. If someone is a STH and wants either of these items they should contact their ticket rep- I bet they'd be able to help out one way or another.

skobabe8
09-24-2010, 10:58 AM
The Peavy bobblehead was a gift before the start of the season. If someone is a STH and wants either of these items they should contact their ticket rep- I bet they'd be able to help out one way or another.

Oh I thought it was a recent thing. I probably got one, just dont remember.

ewokpelts
09-24-2010, 04:11 PM
you pick it up at a game. sox sent out a newsletter with redemption instructions

ewokpelts
09-24-2010, 04:12 PM
The White Sox are in a desperate position. They're in a position where they always have to be competitive every season or else attendance will drop lower than any other team in MLB. I honestly think if the Sox dropped 12 games back in May and showed no signs of promise, they would have the worst attendance in MLB. They would be drawing less than Oakland or Cleveland. And when no one shows up, it's a domino effect. The empty stadium saps energy out of the players, no home field advantage, and record just gets worse and worse, year after year. I hope this doesn't happen to the Sox, but I'm afraid we're just seeing the beginning of it.well there's a simple solution. hire a manager who isnt an idiot.

ewokpelts
09-24-2010, 04:13 PM
I have not seen a Peavey bobblehead. :scratch:email your rep.

ewokpelts
09-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Half-ass it? You'd be lucky to see that. During the past two weeks we have seen several games where they were going eighth-ass at most.

As for the pricing, I don't know what the Sox can learn from it this far into the season (although I am sure they have been planning it for a while). At this point tickets are not worth the paper they are printed on. I am thinking about going to next Saturday's game to see Nancy one last time, but even if I do, I would pick up tickets on stubhub.she dosent work saturday night games

kittle42
09-24-2010, 04:49 PM

If you charge $3.50 a ticket, you won't have any fans to respect because you won't have a team.

Going to sporting events is expensive. That ain't changing.

Now, where is that 20-cent gallon of milk???

kittle42
09-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Can my season tickets be reduced to dynamic prices?? I hate seeing the prices for these worthless Red Sox tickets and how I'm going to waste them. :angry:

Amen. But I guess we have the Red Sox to blame as much as the White Sox.

I can't give mine away to Chicago or Boston fans.

soxfanreggie
09-25-2010, 07:42 AM
If they gave this a shot for NFL teams blacking out, I would be more interested.

ewokpelts
09-29-2010, 08:09 AM
I have a feeling this is a massive failure.

I doubt many people even paid regular price for the game last night. Where they didnt even give out all the bobbleheads.

SI1020
09-29-2010, 08:22 AM
That was the media's job in September 2005. They did it quite well too. Unfortunately for them the Sox ruined the predicted ending.

russ99
09-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Weeknights after Labor Day always have smaller crowds, bobblehead or not. Cooler weather, kids not going due to a school night, and the team being eliminated don't help.

Should be interesting if they do this next year in mid-summer. Heck, I'd head to the park a lot more if I can get cheap seats at the park once in a while (and cut out the insane Ticketmaster fees) even if I'd be sitting in the corners of the Upper Deck, which is the real hard sell.

dickallen15
09-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Weeknights after Labor Day always have smaller crowds, bobblehead or not. Cooler weather, kids not going due to a school night, and the team being eliminated don't help.

Should be interesting if they do this next year in mid-summer. Heck, I'd head to the park a lot more if I can get cheap seats at the park once in a while (and cut out the insane Ticketmaster fees) even if I'd be sitting in the corners of the Upper Deck, which is the real hard sell.
Put your money where your mouth is and check stubhub. The White Sox pricing will never be as low as it is on there.

Streets
09-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Put your money where your mouth is and check stubhub. The White Sox pricing will never be as low as it is on there.

What are the stubhub fees??

Ranger
09-29-2010, 06:27 PM
well there's a simple solution. hire a manager who isnt an idiot.

Yeah, because if they had a different manager, they'd be 10 games better.

That's sarcasm.

Jason82807
09-30-2010, 04:05 AM
What are the stubhub fees??

Stubhub fees the buyers pay are:
Commission- 10% or $5.00, whichever is more
Electronic delivery- $4.95/order

GoSox2K3
09-30-2010, 07:48 AM

That's sarcasm.

I'm not a "fire Ozzie" guy (necessarily). But I hate this argument. "Let's not fire so and so because it wouldn't have made a difference anyway." That's just a total cop out on the debate of whether Ozzie is a good/bad/mediocre manager.

ewokpelts
09-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Put your money where your mouth is and check stubhub. The White Sox pricing will never be as low as it is on there.while the stubhub fees suck(they went to a flat $5 fee last year, where it was 10% before), but when you're buying $2 tickets, the sting isnt as harsh.

ewokpelts
09-30-2010, 07:59 AM

That's sarcasm.
I'm assuming most managers wouldnt use bobby jenks as a closer or mark kotsay as the primary DH. or mark teahen AT ALL. would they be 10 games better? possible. but they wouldnt be handicapped as bad against a so-so minnesota team that lost it's 2nd best hitter for half a season and it's closer for the ENTIRE season (matt kapps SUCKS....).

Streets
09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Stubhub fees the buyers pay are:
Commission- 10% or $5.00, whichever is more
Electronic delivery- $4.95/order

Thanks for the info.

TDog
09-30-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm assuming most managers wouldnt use bobby jenks as a closer or mark kotsay as the primary DH. or mark teahen AT ALL. would they be 10 games better? possible. but they wouldnt be handicapped as bad against a so-so minnesota team that lost it's 2nd best hitter for half a season and it's closer for the ENTIRE season (matt kapps SUCKS....).

Your assumption is probably not correct. Certainly it isn't totally correct.

Not using Jenks as the primary closer would have left the White Sox in worse shape. Thornton and Putz were less reliable than Jenks, and probably have more blown saves. Any manager given the roster the White Sox had would probably have DHed Kotsay against right-handed hitters (maybe Teahen would have done more DHing early in the season). Certainly Teahen would have been a regular early in the season. He hasn't been since, even with Guillen managing.

Other managers might have bunted more than Guillen.

doublem23
09-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Other managers might have bunted more than Guillen.

That's certainly a possibility, but ewok specified to get a manager who isn't an idiot.

TDog
09-30-2010, 11:51 PM
That's certainly a possibility, but ewok specified to get a manager who isn't an idiot.

The Rangers have more sacrifices than the Sox this year, and they're in first place. Some people believe bunting is a big reason why the Rangers are in first place.

ewokpelts
10-01-2010, 10:05 AM
The Rangers have more sacrifices than the Sox this year, and they're in first place. Some people believe bunting is a big reason why the Rangers are in first place.josh hamilton and an improved pitching staff come to mind

TDog
10-01-2010, 03:58 PM
josh hamilton and an improved pitching staff come to mind

And yet they still lead the league in sacrifice bunts.

Brian26
10-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the info.

Is there a $5 service fee also?

There are $2 tickets for today's game that bump up tp $11.95 after buyer fees.

ewokpelts
10-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Is there a $5 service fee also?

There are $2 tickets for today's game that bump up tp $11.95 after buyer fees.
it's PER ORDER. so if you're getting one ticket, then yes, it becomes a $11.95 ticket.
but if you order more tix, the fee feels less extreme. gold coast tickets was pimping on craigslist $4 ticket that you can buy with no fees at thier mobile office by 33rd/wells.
i ende dup GIVING AWAY two tix yesterday(while getting kille don my normal STH tix). If I had know you wanted to go, you could have gone for free.

doublem23
10-04-2010, 09:42 AM
The Rangers have more sacrifices than the Sox this year, and they're in first place. Some people believe bunting is a big reason why the Rangers are in first place.

I suppose this is where I point out that the Yankees had the 4th least SH in the American League, lead the league in offense, and finished 1 GB behind the team with the best record in the AL.