PDA

View Full Version : *official* 9/22 "So THIS is what a win is like!" Postgame thread

chisoxfanatic
09-22-2010, 06:15 PM
The 8-game losing streak is finally over...Nice job, Mark & Mark!

soltrain21
09-22-2010, 06:16 PM
xvX_5ym_ajI

DumpJerry
09-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Teahen and Kotsay, great acquisitions!

nccwsfan
09-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Good comeback, nice win, and for one day kudos to Kotsay and Teahen- they made it happen.

October26
09-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Sox FINALLY win their 80th game today and avoid a sweep by the A's (which looked like it was gonna happen until the top of the 9th). Oh, and I like this Chris Sale kid. :cool:

Soxman219
09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
:happybday:bandance::bandance::):D:

LITTLE NELL
09-22-2010, 06:37 PM
''Our long nightmare is over''. I thought that we might not win again this year.

Dibbs
09-22-2010, 06:39 PM
I just hope playing Viciedo at DH today doesn't ruin his career.

doublem23
09-22-2010, 06:41 PM
KCy7lLQwToI

Am I right, or AMIRIGHT

SephClone89
09-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Hear that, Twins?

WE'RE COMING FOR YOU

SoxSpeed22
09-22-2010, 06:46 PM
The pressure's off, time to go on a run. Good to see Viciedo isn't flailing at the high fastball anymore

soxfanatlanta
09-22-2010, 06:49 PM
What is this "win" thingy y'all speak of?

Procol Harum
09-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Wow, only two more wins and we can break .500 for the year...:?:

WhiteSox5187
09-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Wild Card here we come!

tstrike2000
09-22-2010, 07:53 PM
I never doubted those two guys for a second.

veeter
09-22-2010, 09:11 PM
The fact that Viciedo has been rotting on the bench for three weeks is inexplicable. These are the types things that make me want to punch Ozzie. He finally plays him and what do you know...he swings that bat great, like each time he's had a chance this year. I hope Ozzie's gone.

ChiSoxGirl
09-22-2010, 09:18 PM
I brought my walkman with me on my power walk to listen to the rest of this one. I was at about the 3/4 mile mark when Kotsay and Teahen were announced as pinch hitters and I threw my arms up, wondering what the hell Ozzie was doing. Amazingly, not one but both of those guys came through in the clutch.

When Oakland got those two guys on in the 9th, I figured that would be the beginning of yet another bullpen meltdown and was preparing myself mentally for our ninth loss in a row. Much to my surprise, the bullpen closed it out, sealing the extremely rare come-from-behind victory. I gave a fist pump as I was walking, and listening to the postgame show as I finished up made the rest of the walk go by much quicker.

veeter
09-22-2010, 09:19 PM
And how come Flowers, who is supposed to be below average defensively, is already ten times better at throwing the ball to second base, than AJ?

WhiteSox5187
09-22-2010, 10:07 PM
And how come Flowers, who is supposed to be below average defensively, is already ten times better at throwing the ball to second base, than AJ?

He threw it down to second how many times? Once? And then there is the fact that there is a lot more to being a good defensive catcher than throwing the ball down to second.

CLUBHOUSE KID
09-22-2010, 10:22 PM
He threw it down to second how many times? Once? And then there is the fact that there is a lot more to being a good defensive catcher than throwing the ball down to second.

Don't forget calling games and chemistry with the staff.

guillensdisciple
09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Due to this victory, I will troll the Twins boards with the name Sox_ Konerko in order to establish my slight gloating yet redefined friendliness with Twins fans.

TDog
09-23-2010, 12:01 AM
I brought my walkman with me on my power walk to listen to the rest of this one. I was at about the 3/4 mile mark when Kotsay and Teahen were announced as pinch hitters and I threw my arms up, wondering what the hell Ozzie was doing. Amazingly, not one but both of those guys came through in the clutch.

When Oakland got those two guys on in the 9th, I figured that would be the beginning of yet another bullpen meltdown and was preparing myself mentally for our ninth loss in a row. Much to my surprise, the bullpen closed it out, sealing the extremely rare come-from-behind victory. I gave a fist pump as I was walking, and listening to the postgame show as I finished up made the rest of the walk go by much quicker.

Guillen knew exactly what he was doing. Ziegler has trouble with left-handed hitters. The last I heard (excuse me for not looking it up, but I only have a minute or two typing off the top of my head and a few points either way won't make any difference to my point), lefties were hitting about .320 against him. If Beckham doesn't score on Teahen's hit, Vizquel probably pinch-hits for Lillibridge. Flowers, Viciedo and Morel didn't stand much of a chance against Ziegler, who opened the inning by striking out Konerko. Quentin did well to get a walk. Pinch-runner de Aza (a key move, though a no-brainer) breaking for second (it looked like a straight steal) when Pierzynski grounded out in his pinch-hitting appearance pretty much saved the game for the other lefty pinch-hitters to do the damage. Guillen also knew that the A's didn't have a lefty warming up in the bullpen. He may have known that the A's had no left-handed reliever available for the game.

Kotsay isn't to blame for the way the White Sox have been playing in September, of course. He has played little since Manny Ramirez came over to DH. Teahen started only three of the games in the eight game losing streak. The two taking up roster spots are not to blame for the Sox poor September showings because the roster is expanded.

Another key play was Pierre stealing home.

People who saw the game might have believed it was an error, but there was no error charged on the play, and by the rules of scoring there shouldn't have been. There was no error charged because Alexei Ramirez did not advance a base. He was in a rundown when the ball was dropped. Pierre was breaking for home at the time and got credit for a stolen base when he beat the throw to the plate. If he had broken to the plate after the ball was dropped, there would have been an error charged. If the fielder had made the heads-up play and thrown to first with a two-run lead, and retired Ramirez, Pierre would have scored on a fielder's choice.

Of course, the White Sox gifted a run by hitting a batter with two out and none on (it looked like retaliation, but that generally comes back to hurt you) and gifted another run with a bad throw to first by Lillibridge who had much more time than he believed to make the throw to first.

Manny Ramirez should sit on the bench more often. I think the White Sox play better without him at DH.

slavko
09-23-2010, 12:11 AM

Note taken. But so was Miguel Olivo. Still, the other stuff can be learned. Throwing, that is what it is. He hit the ball solid once on a deep fly to CF.

Nellie_Fox
09-23-2010, 12:45 AM
The fact that Viciedo has been rotting on the bench for three weeks is inexplicable. These are the types things that make me want to punch Ozzie. He finally plays him and what do you know...he swings that bat great, like each time he's had a chance this year. By no stretch of anyone's wildest imagination has Viciedo swung the bat "great..each time he's had a chance this year."

Boondock Saint
09-23-2010, 01:13 AM
By no stretch of anyone's wildest imagination has Viciedo swung the bat "great..each time he's had a chance this year."

But on the other side of the coin, it's easy for anyone to see the potential he has, at least offensively. He's one of the players who should be given every chance to show improvement these last few games. To do less than that is foolish at best, and irresponsible at worst.

Chez
09-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Magic number down to 7 to clinch second place!

veeter
09-23-2010, 11:07 AM
He threw it down to second how many times? Once? And then there is the fact that there is a lot more to being a good defensive catcher than throwing the ball down to second.He threw down twice. And had Alexei not been three feet in front of second base, the second runner would have been gunned down too. And I know there's more to catching than throwing down to second base, but it is a big part of it. My point is, based on what is said about Flowers' defense here, he looked a lot better than his reputation.

veeter
09-23-2010, 11:13 AM
By no stretch of anyone's wildest imagination has Viciedo swung the bat "great..each time he's had a chance this year."Viciedo swings the bat with a purpose. He makes a lot of contact for someone who swings that hard. I just like that he's not afraid and his potential is very high. He's kind of a right handed Thome, IMO. He's just so fun to watch as opposed to some of the lame ass hitters on this team.

Nellie_Fox
09-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Viciedo swings the bat with a purpose. He makes a lot of contact for someone who swings that hard. I just like that he's not afraid and his potential is very high. He's kind of a right handed Thome, IMO. He's just so fun to watch as opposed to some of the lame ass hitters on this team.
If you think watching that high of a strikeout percentage with virtually no walks is fun, that's fine. I don't.

My point was that he does not "swing the bat great." He hits it hard when he hits it, but that's all. He's way too undisciplined at the plate to say he "swings the bat great."

veeter
09-23-2010, 11:49 AM
If you think watching that high of a strikeout percentage with virtually no walks is fun, that's fine. I don't.

My point was that he does not "swing the bat great." He hits it hard when he hits it, but that's all. He's way too undisciplined at the plate to say he "swings the bat great."Let's see how his career plays out.

Nellie_Fox
09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Let's see how his career plays out.Fine, but that's not what the discussion was. The discussion was whether he "swings the bat great" NOW!

tstrike2000
09-23-2010, 07:18 PM
By no stretch of anyone's wildest imagination has Viciedo swung the bat "great..each time he's had a chance this year."

http://23.media.tumblr.com/95kQFjvCSo014tjwP9na59vjo1_500.jpg

"Straight ball I hit it very much. Curve ball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats."

Tragg
09-23-2010, 08:26 PM
The fact that Viciedo has been rotting on the bench for three weeks is inexplicable.
Same with Flowers too.
There's nothing to be lost and plenty to be gained by playing those players.

But it's just classic Guillen.

doublem23
09-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Same with Flowers too.
There's nothing to be lost and plenty to be gained by playing those players.

But it's just classic Guillen.

I would love to see how many posts you have that essentially say the exact same thing.

Brian26
09-23-2010, 08:33 PM
The fact that Viciedo has been rotting on the bench for three weeks is inexplicable. These are the types things that make me want to punch Ozzie.

Morel's been getting a great look at 3B. Manny's getting paid $4 million to DH. Paulie deserves to play 1B to the end and bump up his numbers in a last ditch effort to win the MVP. I don't have any problem with Viciedo's playing time based on the circumstances.

TDog
09-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Morel's been getting a great look at 3B. Manny's getting paid $4 million to DH. Paulie deserves to play 1B to the end and bump up his numbers in a last ditch effort to win the MVP. I don't have any problem with Viciedo's playing time based on the circumstances.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if Morel has a more immediate future than Viciedo with the White Sox. I have been much more impressed with Morel -- his approach to hitting, but especially his defense -- than I expected to be. I expected Viciedo's development has a hitter to be farther along, and a young player coming up needs to be able to play better defense than he has.

As a hitter, Viciedo doesn't appear ready. He certainly isn't ready defensively. He wasn't going to be getting playing time over Manny Ramirez or Konerko. It was Viciedo and Morel competing for playing time, at third.

Viciedo may well have a future as a hitter, but he doesn't appear to be major-league ready.

WhiteSoxOnly
09-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if Morel has a more immediate future than Viciedo with the White Sox. I have been much more impressed with Morel -- his approach to hitting, but especially his defense -- than I expected to be. I expected Viciedo's development has a hitter to be farther along, and a young player coming up needs to be able to play better defense than he has.

As a hitter, Viciedo doesn't appear ready. He certainly isn't ready defensively. He wasn't going to be getting playing time over Manny Ramirez or Konerko. It was Viciedo and Morel competing for playing time, at third.

Viciedo may well have a future as a hitter, but he doesn't appear to be major-league ready.

Then Ozzie should have Viciedo in the lineup every damn day until the
season ends.Especially since that stinkhole of a homestand ended.Enough
of Manny,he was brought here to help chase down the Twinks and it
didn't happen.He doesn't give a **** anymore,hell i'd send him home.Put
Viciedo in the DH spot and give him as many at-bats as possible.You know
up that learning curve.Rotting on Ozzie's bench isn't helping the kid at all.

doublem23
09-24-2010, 07:14 AM

Manny doesn't seem to give a **** about anything, so I'm fine with letting him sit on the bench and count his dollars.

Viciedo is the future.

Nellie_Fox
09-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Manny doesn't seem to give a **** about anything...Which is just part of the reason I didn't want him with the Sox in the first place.

TDog
09-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Then Ozzie should have Viciedo in the lineup every damn day until the
season ends.Especially since that stinkhole of a homestand ended.Enough
of Manny,he was brought here to help chase down the Twinks and it
didn't happen.He doesn't give a **** anymore,hell i'd send him home.Put
Viciedo in the DH spot and give him as many at-bats as possible.You know
up that learning curve.Rotting on Ozzie's bench isn't helping the kid at all.

Hitting in the lineup as DH every day wouldn't help Viciedo either, unless Guillen wanted to humiliate him so thoroughly that he would start listening to his coaches. There was no reason for Viciedo to be in the lineup at all.

Jimmy Piersall
09-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Hitting in the lineup as DH every day wouldn't help Viciedo either, unless Guillen wanted to humiliate him so thoroughly that he would start listening to his coaches. There was no reason for Viciedo to be in the lineup at all.

Now that the chase is over,Viciedo SHOULD be the DH every day,period.
Ramirez is gone.Why watch him walk away from the plate taking with two
strikes on him ? he didn't get the pitch he was looking for and/or he just
doesn't feel like swinging the bat.**** him.As for Paulie,he did his work
this year.If he's not playing first then just give him the day off.

TDog
09-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Now that the chase is over,Viciedo SHOULD be the DH every day,period.
Ramirez is gone.Why watch him walk away from the plate taking with two
strikes on him ? he didn't get the pitch he was looking for and/or he just
doesn't feel like swinging the bat.**** him.As for Paulie,he did his work
this year.If he's not playing first then just give him the day off.

Playing Viciedo at DH isn't going to make Viciedo a better hitter.

khan
09-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Playing Viciedo at DH isn't going to make Viciedo a better hitter.

OK, I'll play along. Why do you believe this?

The other option [so far] is to leave him rotting on the bench, which I don't think will do ANYTHING to make him a better hitter.

kufram
09-24-2010, 06:49 PM
OK, I'll play along. Why do you believe this?

The other option [so far] is to leave him rotting on the bench, which I don't think will do ANYTHING to make him a better hitter.

A minor league player with a lot to learn and a possible future in the big leagues isn't necessarily rotting when he's sitting on a big league bench. These guys have eyes and ears too, you know. The great musicians don't learn to play on the big stage.... that's where they perform.

Boondock Saint
09-24-2010, 08:16 PM
A minor league player with a lot to learn and a possible future in the big leagues isn't necessarily rotting when he's sitting on a big league bench. These guys have eyes and ears too, you know. The great musicians don't learn to play on the big stage.... that's where they perform.

They don't learn anything without an instrument in their hand, either.