PDA

View Full Version : Kane Co. Cougars Become a Royals Affiliate

Hitmen77
09-22-2010, 11:25 AM
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/sports/2736140,Cougars-sign-two-year-pact-Royals_AU092210.article

I didn't realize the Cougars have been affiliated with the A's for 8 years already. I remember them mostly for being a Marlins affiliate and I thought the switch to the A's was more recent.

So, after 18 years with two teams that have been great at developing minor league talent, they switching to the Kansas City Royals.

This article makes it sound like the Cougars were wowed by their meeting with the Royals. Hmmmm.....unless KC is revamping their farm system, I wouldn't have thought of them as being a better developer of talent that Oakland.

DirtySox
09-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Hmmmm.....unless KC is revamping their farm system, I wouldn't have thought of them as being a better developer of talent that Oakland.

I'm not sure if they are or are not better "developers" of talent then Oakland, but currently the KC farm system is probably the best in baseball. They amount of talent they have from top to bottom is ridiculous.

LongLiveFisk
09-22-2010, 11:51 AM
No kidding? Wow, that's interesting.

I go to a few KC Cougars games a year. I guess now the "KC" moniker fits a little more. :tongue:

(Note: I wish they were the White Sox affiliate. Would be nice to have one close to home!)

Hitmen77
09-22-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure if they are or are not better "developers" of talent then Oakland, but currently the KC farm system is probably the best in baseball. They amount of talent they have from top to bottom is ridiculous.

Interesting. Is this a recent development that we haven't seen reach the MLB level yet? Or are they just not as successful in getting these guys beyond the minors?

DirtySox
09-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Interesting. Is this a recent development that we haven't seen reach the MLB level yet? Or are they just not as successful in getting these guys beyond the minors?

Actually yes, it is a recent development. This year so many of their prospects have had huge breakout seasons. They were probably a middle of the road farm system until this year. This obviously doesn't necessitate a great farm system moving forward, but currently the talent is abundant. We should be seeing Moose and Hosmer in KC in the not too distant future.

Lamb, Dwyer, Colon, Duffy, Montgomery, and Myers are also very good/great prospects. I also haven't given up on Crow just yet, despite his struggles. There was a somewhat recent thread discussing the Royals breakout farm system but I can't seem to find it right now.

MeteorsSox4367
09-22-2010, 12:44 PM
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/sports/2736140,Cougars-sign-two-year-pact-Royals_AU092210.article

I didn't realize the Cougars have been affiliated with the A's for 8 years already. I remember them mostly for being a Marlins affiliate and I thought the switch to the A's was more recent.

So, after 18 years with two teams that have been great at developing minor league talent, they switching to the Kansas City Royals.

IIRC, didn't the Cougars start out as an Orioles' affiliate? I thought it was O's, Marlins and A's.

Either way, not a bad place to watch a game. I was out there this summer for the first time in a few years and the changes they made were pretty nice.

ChiSoxGal85
09-22-2010, 12:50 PM
No kidding? Wow, that's interesting.

I go to a few KC Cougars games a year. I guess now the "KC" moniker fits a little more. :tongue:

(Note: I wish they were the White Sox affiliate. Would be nice to have one close to home!)

Hey, I didn't catch the KC moniker. Good one!!

Love going to Cougars games when I can. It will be interesting to see the Royals farm system in action. If the Cougars ever became the Sox affiliate, I'd have season tickets. My son plays ball in the local summer Colt league; at the end of summer season they play a game at Cougar's stadium. What a neat experience for the boys. It wasn't that long ago when he looked so little on that huge field ...this year, he hit one that rolled to the wall. I felt so old.

<Kinda off topic...It's ironic that my daughter is probably going to go to college at Bradley in Peoria...aaack, Cubs affiliate territory!! But she has already proudly and defiantly declared her allegiance to the Sox to anyone at Bradley who cares...that's my girl. :D: sorry for the hijack.>

doublem23
09-22-2010, 01:14 PM
<Kinda off topic...It's ironic that my daughter is probably going to go to college at Bradley in Peoria...aaack, Cubs affiliate territory!! But she has already proudly and defiantly declared her allegiance to the Sox to anyone at Bradley who cares...that's my girl. :D: sorry for the hijack.>

:thumbsup:

As a Bradley alum, I can assure you the Peoria area needs all the White Sox love it can get.

The Immigrant
09-22-2010, 01:27 PM

That would seem to be an effective way to build support for the big league club in Chicagoland, but what do I know.

ewokpelts
09-22-2010, 01:35 PM
way to go white sox. a LOCAL affiliated minor league team was looking for a new parent club, and you didnt even try.

typical sox bull****.

doublem23
09-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Would anyone actually give a **** if the Cougars were a Sox farm team? I guess it would help Kane County, as more fans would probably truck out there to see some low-A ball Sox players but does anyone actually think it would have any real effect on the Sox? Unless of course whatever town they actually play in is some sort of Midwest hotstpot of Oakland A's fans.

CPditka
09-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Would anyone actually give a **** if the Cougars were a Sox farm team? I guess it would help Kane County, as more fans would probably truck out there to see some low-A ball Sox players but does anyone actually think it would have any real effect on the Sox? Unless of course whatever town they actually play in is some sort of Midwest hotstpot of Oakland A's fans.

Yes,

I love going to Minor league games, and make a point to go to Indy/Louisville when the Knights come up. I really would like the Sox to have an affiliate in Chicagoland. Gary Railcats?

Hitmen77
09-22-2010, 02:03 PM
I'd be happy with at least the Sox returning to having an affiliate somewhere in the Midwest League. I'm not expecting it to be Kane County, but it would be nice to have a chance to see Sox prospects play nearby (even as the visiting team).

....but, then again, given the state of the Sox farm system, maybe I'm not missing much. :mad:

IIRC, didn't the Cougars start out as an Orioles' affiliate? I thought it was O's, Marlins and A's.

Either way, not a bad place to watch a game. I was out there this summer for the first time in a few years and the changes they made were pretty nice.

Yes, they started out as an Orioles affiliate. But that was only for the first couple of years of their existence in the early 90s. Most of their history (18 years) has been with the Marlins and A's.

I don't know as much about players coming through the A's system, but with the Marlins ability to churn out talent, there have been quite a few future big league stars that once played for the Cougars.

A few years ago, the Cougars had signs that displayed the big league players that used to play for them. Miguel Cabrera, Josh Beckett....and Scott Podsednik too.

downstairs
09-22-2010, 02:44 PM

I've always been curious why minor league teams near cities with MLB teams don't more often align with them. Seems better for business?

I understand totally why many minor league teams want to be in cities far away from MLB teams. The New Orleans Zephyrs are pretty popular down here because there's no other baseball.

JB98
09-22-2010, 02:58 PM

That's correct. The Cougars started in 1991 as an affiliate of the Orioles. In 1993, they switched to the Marlins and were affiliated with them for 10 years. The last eight seasons, they've been with the A's.

Elfstrom Stadium is about a 10-minute drive from my apartment. I don't go frequently because, well, I'm not that interested in watching Oakland prospects. It's too bad the Sox don't have an affiliate in the Midwest League, because I would go to a Cougars game if I had the opportunity to see Sox prospects.

In any case, the Cougars draw very, very well. They've done a good job of marketing and making that stadium a place for affordable family entertainment. For most of the people in attendance at those games, they don't really care whether the Cougars win or lose or who the players are. It's a place to take the kiddies on a summer night. The Cougars understand that and have tapped into that market very well. The recent stadium renovation was well done also.

ewokpelts
09-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Would anyone actually give a **** if the Cougars were a Sox farm team? I guess it would help Kane County, as more fans would probably truck out there to see some low-A ball Sox players but does anyone actually think it would have any real effect on the Sox? Unless of course whatever town they actually play in is some sort of Midwest hotstpot of Oakland A's fans.it would help the cougars more, but yes, people would care.

JB98
09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
it would help the cougars more, but yes, people would care.

I don't think the Cougars need much help, though. They pack the house once school gets out. As I mentioned in my previous post, they've done a great job of marketing the family atmosphere there. They've done well and will continue to do well regardless of MLB affiliations.

SephClone89
09-22-2010, 04:03 PM
So we can catch some BA starts?

LongLiveFisk
09-22-2010, 08:28 PM

Well I would say "give a ****" is a strong term. It would just be nice to follow a Sox farm team rather than someone else's. You can take more of an interest in the players, IMO.

Bump34
09-22-2010, 09:48 PM
When I was in Kane County we really did not want to be an affiliate of the White Sox or the Cubs... the feeling was we might alienate half of our fan base... even if it was just Class A ball.

SephClone89
09-22-2010, 10:30 PM
When I was in Kane County we really did not want to be an affiliate of the White Sox or the Cubs... the feeling was we might alienate half of our fan base... even if it was just Class A ball.

Yeah, I understand this position too.

DumpJerry
09-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Good point. Unless it is the AAA or AA team, I don't know how much interest would be generated by an affiliation with the Sox since at the A and Rookie level you're watching guys who have a low chance of making it to the Show.

Also, having a minor league teams far from Chicago helps expand the Sox fanbase geographically.

thomas35forever
09-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Interesting news. I like going to Cougars games. It's an opportunity to take a break from the stress of watching your Major League team. You can actually enjoy the game.

jdm2662
09-23-2010, 01:40 PM
I don't think the Cougars need much help, though. They pack the house once school gets out. As I mentioned in my previous post, they've done a great job of marketing the family atmosphere there. They've done well and will continue to do well regardless of MLB affiliations.

I haven't been to a game since 1997, but I never got the impression the Cougars were struggling. In fact, I always got the impression they were by far the most successful A team in the country.

jdm2662
09-23-2010, 01:41 PM

My wife is from Rockford and was a season ticket holder of their Midwest team in the early 90s. There are two things that stood out during this time. One, she got to see the likes of Mike Sweeney and Johnny Damon play. And two, when the team became a Cubs affliate, she lost interest.

jdm2662
09-23-2010, 01:42 PM
it would help the cougars more, but yes, people would care.

Read my post and the ones above mine. It would hurt them more than help, and the Cougers don't really need help.

doublem23
09-23-2010, 01:54 PM

That's a really good point I never thought of. I guess it'd be nice if the Sox would affiliate with another Midwest League team, like back in the late 90s when their A-ball team was the Burlington Bees, so you could see them occasionally, but I can definitely see why Kane County wouldn't want to partner with either the Cubs or Sox.

Ex-Chicagoan
09-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Would anyone actually give a **** if the Cougars were a Sox farm team?

I'll give it a definite maybe. When Springfield lost its team - the Cardinals affiliate - in '94, Waterloo moved in to replace it. You'd think the people there would have been glad to have baseball back, but the new team was the Padres affiliate, and people complained. Team fled for Lansing two years later and became the Lugnuts.

Then again, it's Springfield. :scratch:

ewokpelts
09-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Read my post and the ones above mine. It would hurt them more than help, and the Cougers don't really need help.well, the peoria chiefs are the cubs a ball affiliate, and teh cougars market to the cubs fans heaviliy when those teams face off. in fact, the cougars played at WRIGLEY FIELD against the chiefs.

doublem23
09-23-2010, 03:24 PM
well, the peoria chiefs are the cubs a ball affiliate, and teh cougars market to the cubs fans heaviliy when those teams face off. in fact, the cougars played at WRIGLEY FIELD against the chiefs.

Right, but they only play them, what 10 times per year in Kane County? I'm sure if the Sox had an affiliate in the Midwest League, they'd be advertising that heavily to Sox fans, too.

Dude, it's A-ball. And low A-ball. Most of the guys in that league are a year or so out of high school. Have you ever watched an A-ball game? TERRIBLE.

ewokpelts
09-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Right, but they only play them, what 10 times per year in Kane County? I'm sure if the Sox had an affiliate in the Midwest League, they'd be advertising that heavily to Sox fans, too.

Dude, it's A-ball. And low A-ball. Most of the guys in that league are a year or so out of high school. Have you ever watched an A-ball game? TERRIBLE.
i've been to a flyers game. so kinda

downstairs
09-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Also, having a minor league teams far from Chicago helps expand the Sox fanbase geographically.

Good point, however I think most MLB teams (outside maybe the Iowa Cubs situation) screw this up. I live in New Orleans- a fairly large city. The New Orleans Zephyrs are the only baseball down here, and they're pretty popular. However, they keep changing affiliations. They were with the Mets for awhile, now the Rays or something. I don't even know.

MLB teams ought to:

1. Make sure they hold on to their minor league teams forever.

2. Always name the team after their own name. If they were always the New Orleans Mets, with the actual Mets logo, and they pushed the Mets brand down here... do you realize how many New York Mets fans there would be down here? Missed opportunity.

There's no MLB team in Charlotte. Why aren't the White Sox the predominent brand down there? I've been to Charlotte, and there's no "White Sox" brand at all.

doublem23
09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
There's no MLB team in Charlotte. Why aren't the White Sox the predominent brand down there? I've been to Charlotte, and there's no "White Sox" brand at all.

Probably because nobody in Charlotte can watch Sox games unless they have Extra Innings.

Ex-Chicagoan
09-23-2010, 04:14 PM
2. Always name the team after their own name. If they were always the New Orleans Mets, with the actual Mets logo, and they pushed the Mets brand down here... do you realize how many New York Mets fans there would be down here? Missed opportunity.

That's the way it used to be. Instead, now you've got minor league teams crafting their own logos and identities, and selling more hats. Since the teams are privately owned, generally (not by the parent club), it's an additional revenue source.

And, for the record, A-ball is what I watch mostly in-person anymore. It's not major-league quality by any stretch, but I wouldn't call it "terrible".

downstairs
09-24-2010, 03:20 PM
That's the way it used to be. Instead, now you've got minor league teams crafting their own logos and identities, and selling more hats. Since the teams are privately owned, generally (not by the parent club), it's an additional revenue source.

And, for the record, A-ball is what I watch mostly in-person anymore. It's not major-league quality by any stretch, but I wouldn't call it "terrible".

Yeah, makes sense I guess. I was just referring to the excellent job the Cubs have done in Iowa. Also, I did mention having the minor league affiliates within TV distance of the MLB team- I just used the Knights as an example because they happen to be the Sox affiliate.

Also, nowadays there's plenty of options for fans living far outside the MLB team's area. Yes, I happen to have Extra Innings... but if I didn't, most sports bars down here would tune a tv to the White Sox if I asked.

(Of course, I'm not going to embarass myself and ask nowadays!)

doublem23
09-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Yeah, makes sense I guess. I was just referring to the excellent job the Cubs have done in Iowa. Also, I did mention having the minor league affiliates within TV distance of the MLB team- I just used the Knights as an example because they happen to be the Sox affiliate.

Also, nowadays there's plenty of options for fans living far outside the MLB team's area. Yes, I happen to have Extra Innings... but if I didn't, most sports bars down here would tune a tv to the White Sox if I asked.

(Of course, I'm not going to embarass myself and ask nowadays!)

Well the Cubs/Iowa phenomenon is something special, mostly, IMO because of the regional connection; the two major Midwestern baseball teams are the Cubs and Cardinals, and as much as we rip on the Cubs for being abject losers, the alternative is a team whose image is being the #1 team of bumbling, Southern redneck hillbilly morons, so I can't quite blame anyone for not jumping on the Cardinal bandwagon. Plus... Chicago > x a million St. Louis. That's just easy.

Finally, the Cubs have Wrigley Field in their pocket, maybe the #2 marketing tool in all of baseball right now, tied with Fenway Park, and only behind the Yankees' 27 (or whatever) championship banners.

Dub25
09-29-2010, 12:43 AM
I didn't bother to read the rest of the post because all I could think was oh no..... Kenny has the Royals in our backyard to scout bad Royals rejects and sign them to contracts before they prove anything.