PDA

View Full Version : How MLB Teams Got Their Names

Hitmen77
09-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Inspired by the "How NHL Teams...." thread in the Parking Lot, here's a summary of the origins of the 30 MLB teams' names:

http://www.curiousread.com/2010/04/origins-of-all-30-mlb-team-names.html

gogosox675
09-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Can you imagine if there actually was a team called the Arizona Phoenix? I don't understand how that was even an option to begin with.

Madvora
09-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Can you imagine if there actually was a team called the Arizona Phoenix? I don't understand how that was even an option to begin with.
Is this supposed to be teal?

gogosox675
09-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Is this supposed to be teal?

I don't think so? My teal judgement isn't great, however.

DSpivack
09-21-2010, 02:08 PM

I would think it cool if the team was just called The Phoenix, with their logo and mascot as the Firebird rising from the ashes.

Hitmen77
09-21-2010, 02:43 PM
In my opinion, MLB has some pretty good team names. Not just most of the classic "original franchise" names, but most of the expansion teams too. In particular, I like San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, Colorado Rockies to name a few expansion names.

Beginning in 2012, the Marlins will become the "Miami Marlins" when they move to their new ballpark.

One of the few names I don't care for is the Philadelphia Phillies. It would be like calling the Reds the Cincinnati Cincies. Interesting that they tried to change to the Philadelphia Blue Jays in the 40s, but it didn't catch on. Tampa Bay Rays isn't the greatest name either.

I would think it cool if the team was just called The Phoenix, with their logo and mascot as the Firebird rising from the ashes.

The old AAA team that preceded the Diamondbacks was called the Phoenix Firebirds. I agree that the "Arizona Phoenix" would sound rather odd.

eriqjaffe
09-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, your New York NYBS! :?: