PDA

View Full Version : Is Walk leaving after this year?

JermaineDye05
09-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Maybe.

Maybe not.

Link (http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/09/hitting_coach_greg_walker_resp.html)

Dub25
09-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Maybe.

Maybe not.

Link (http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/09/hitting_coach_greg_walker_resp.html)

Good Lord, I hope so.

Gavin
09-21-2010, 12:18 AM
We just can't spend enough on coaches who do nothing*.

*Statement only applies if you believe there ought to be some sort of "result" from job performance.

SephClone89
09-21-2010, 12:22 AM
The formatting and spacing of columns on the Sun-Times website means that I can never read one.

soltrain21
09-21-2010, 12:25 AM
I wasn't aware coaches got to say whether or not they keep their jobs. Must be nice.

WhiteSox5187
09-21-2010, 12:26 AM
The formatting and spacing of columns on the Sun-Times website means that I can never read one.

It really is awful.

As for Walk, I don't know how much impact a hitting coach has honestly, but the White Sox really need a new approach at the plate whether that comes with a new coach or new players, I couldn't care less, but when you are stranding 21 men on base, it's quite clear that something is wrong in the hitting department.

chisox59
09-21-2010, 01:59 AM
I believe that the Sox hitting troubles are an organizational problem and not a problem with the hitting coach. We had the same type of results with Gary Ward and Von Joshua as our hitting coaches as we do with Greg Walker. His job is to diagnose flaws with a swing not teach hitting from the ground up. That's the job of the minor league system where you work in practice and apply in games the principles of hitting since organizational wins at that level aren't really important. If you do this, ala the twinkies, you'll have major league hitters you only need to tweak when something goes wrong.

Other than Omar Vizquel I'd be hard pressed to find someone on our roster who knows how to hit the outside pitch to the opposite field, how to hit behind the runner and how to hit the ball in the hole when a runner is breaking from first. Some of them do this by accident but most of our hitters expend their energy trying to pull the ball. Like Omar, the only ones I've seen execute their at bats in this manner came from outside of our organization.

Look at Dayan Viciedo whom we're all rooting for. He couldn't draw a walk if his life depended on it. He's too busy trying to pull everything he sees. He'll be a perennial strike out, flyout to left, ground into 5 or 6-4-3 double play hitter his whole career. He should be kept in the minor leagues until he's taught how to hit.

You can blame Greg Walker all you want, but like his predecessors his successors will find themselves producing the same results until we actually teach the players we draft how to play the game. Most of them accomplished what they did at the high school and college level by being able to overmatch their competition but that doesn't mean they knew how to play the game. It's like the pitcher who gets by on his 100mph fasball but can't get it past the big league hitters. When he learns how to locate his pitches and throw something other than a fastball for a strike then he succeeds. Hitters are no different.

hawkjt
09-21-2010, 02:12 AM
Our hitting stats have been respectable this year,until this last losing streak. They were cold in April and May,then got insanely hot in June,July and August, and now are cold again.

Last time I looked the Sox were 4th in the AL in hitting,but it does not feel that way.
I agree that their has to be something fundamentally flawed in our approach to hitting soft-tossers to oppo field,but then I wonder, if we are the only team so bad, why are we 4th in hitting?

I think maybe Walk has to be tired of the criticism at this point and does not need the hassle,so he might just walk on his own.
But, no guarantee the next guy will get thru to these guys. Alexei might win the silver slugger award...is he going to start over with his swing?
Andruw? Beckham has a nice inside out swing,but his numbers are not good. Juan goes the other way. Alex lost his swing in August,while AJ found his. Carlos is a guy who needs help it seems. PK is fine.

No magic bullets. We need better hitters, more high average hitters, not a new coach.

CLR01
09-21-2010, 02:35 AM
No magic bullets. We need better hitters, more high average hitters, not a new coach.

Or we could use all three.

This would be fantastic. Maybe he'll take Ozzie with him.

DumpJerry
09-21-2010, 07:44 AM
I wasn't aware coaches got to say whether or not they keep their jobs. Must be nice.

A coach can always quit/resign from the job.

I believe that the Sox hitting troubles are an organizational problem and not a problem with the hitting coach. We had the same type of results with Gary Ward and Von Joshua as our hitting coaches as we do with Greg Walker. His job is to diagnose flaws with a swing not teach hitting from the ground up. That's the job of the minor league system where you work in practice and apply in games the principles of hitting since organizational wins at that level aren't really important. If you do this, ala the twinkies, you'll have major league hitters you only need to tweak when something goes wrong.

Other than Omar Vizquel I'd be hard pressed to find someone on our roster who knows how to hit the outside pitch to the opposite field, how to hit behind the runner and how to hit the ball in the hole when a runner is breaking from first. Some of them do this by accident but most of our hitters expend their energy trying to pull the ball. Like Omar, the only ones I've seen execute their at bats in this manner came from outside of our organization.

Look at Dayan Viciedo whom we're all rooting for. He couldn't draw a walk if his life depended on it. He's too busy trying to pull everything he sees. He'll be a perennial strike out, flyout to left, ground into 5 or 6-4-3 double play hitter his whole career. He should be kept in the minor leagues until he's taught how to hit.

You can blame Greg Walker all you want, but like his predecessors his successors will find themselves producing the same results until we actually teach the players we draft how to play the game. Most of them accomplished what they did at the high school and college level by being able to overmatch their competition but that doesn't mean they knew how to play the game. It's like the pitcher who gets by on his 100mph fasball but can't get it past the big league hitters. When he learns how to locate his pitches and throw something other than a fastball for a strike then he succeeds. Hitters are no different.

Our hitting stats have been respectable this year,until this last losing streak. They were cold in April and May,then got insanely hot in June,July and August, and now are cold again.

Last time I looked the Sox were 4th in the AL in hitting,but it does not feel that way.
I agree that their has to be something fundamentally flawed in our approach to hitting soft-tossers to oppo field,but then I wonder, if we are the only team so bad, why are we 4th in hitting?

I think maybe Walk has to be tired of the criticism at this point and does not need the hassle,so he might just walk on his own.
But, no guarantee the next guy will get thru to these guys. Alexei might win the silver slugger award...is he going to start over with his swing?
Andruw? Beckham has a nice inside out swing,but his numbers are not good. Juan goes the other way. Alex lost his swing in August,while AJ found his. Carlos is a guy who needs help it seems. PK is fine.

Two posts that make 100% sense. I remember how during Spring Training this year, the local media was raving how the Cubs' biggest off-season acquisition was their new hitting coach. As of today, the Cubs are 17th in MLB for team BA. Big impact that coach made.

TheOldRoman
09-21-2010, 09:54 AM
I wasn't aware coaches got to say whether or not they keep their jobs. Must be nice.What are you going to do? He's tenured.

Cangelosi CF
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Good Lord, I hope so. what he said. FIRE GREG WALKER.

34 Inch Stick
09-21-2010, 11:59 AM
He has a kid in college. There is not way he walks away from a nice paying job.

FielderJones
09-21-2010, 01:29 PM
I remember how during Spring Training this year, the local media was raving how the Cubs' biggest off-season acquisition was their new hitting coach. As of today, the Cubs are 17th in MLB for team BA. Big impact that coach made.

:thumbsup:

Agreed. If the organization doesn't make the commitment to teach situational hitting at the minor league level, the major league hitting coach isn't going to fix that.

If Greg Walker does leave, all it will do is make a bunch of WSIers happy. Next year at this time they'll be yelling for the next hitting coach to be fired.

JB98
09-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Beckham is the only player in the everyday lineup who is a product of the Sox farm system. And he wasn't in the minor leagues for long.

Blaming the Sox poor situational hitting and bankrupt mental approach on the farm system is a ridiculous argument. The Sox are a team of mercenaries. Virtually none of these men came through the Sox farm system.

Carlos Quentin's constant choking with RISP cannot be blamed on Sox minor-league instructors, because Quentin never played in the minors with this organization.

Bob Roarman
09-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Exactly, the kind of hitters you have at the MLB level are going to be the kind of hitters they are, almost no matter what, if that makes sense. You pretty much are what you are at that point. The minor leagues is where you need to be concerned about your hitting coaches.

Now cue the "THEN WHY IS IT A JOB?" posts.

dickallen15
09-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Carlos Quentin's constant choking with RISP cannot be blamed on Sox minor-league instructors, because Quentin never played in the minors with this organization.
Never let facts:

(That is Quentin's batting average, on base pct., slugging pct., and OPS with RISP this year)

get in the way of an argument.

JB98
09-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Never let facts:

(That is Quentin's batting average, on base pct., slugging pct., and OPS with RISP this year)

How's he been doing the last two months?

Quentin is batting .231 with two outs and RISP. He's batting .219 in late-and-close situations. He has a grand total of 23 RBIs since the All-Star break, despite hitting in the middle of the lineup. He has left half the free world on base recently, causing him to lose at-bats to the immortal Mark Teahen and Andruw Jones.

41 of Quentin's 84 RBIs came in June or July. Literally half his production. He had two good months that make his overall numbers look respectable. He's been horse**** in four out of the six months.

Quentin is quite literally the poster boy for Walkerball. Horse**** the first two months, fools gold hot streak in June and July to save Walk's job, then horse**** again for the stretch drive.

Press, press, press, press, try to do too much, press, press, press, try to do to much, press, press, press. That's what Walkerball is all about.

It isn't the minor league system. We have a roster full of hitters who came from other organizations. One of two things is true:

1) The players suck.
2) The environment in the clubhouse isn't conducive to relaxing and getting the job done in pressure situations. When is the pressure the greatest? At the start and at the end.

If No. 2 is true, that's coaching.

All the overall numbers for the Sox offense this year look decent. Those numbers lie, because they were so hot it was sick for about 50 games in June and July. The other 100 games have been really, really bad. All of last season was really, really bad, too.

At least they had one hot streak this year. I suppose that counts as improvement, but it still won't result in October baseball on the South Side.

Foulke You
09-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Never let facts:

Carlos has had a problem with consistency (like the whole team) most of the year. He probably had streaks where he hit .100 for 3 weeks with RISP and streaks where we hit .500 for 3 weeks with RISP. I agree with you that he hasn't been as bad as some have made him out to be. He is just in one of his bad streaks right now so that is fresh in a lot of people's mind. Carlos was on fire in June and July though.

dickallen15
09-21-2010, 04:22 PM
How's he been doing the last two months?

Quentin is batting .231 with two outs and RISP. He's batting .219 in late-and-close situations. He has a grand total of 23 RBIs since the All-Star break, despite hitting in the middle of the lineup. He has left half the free world on base recently, causing him to lose at-bats to the immortal Mark Teahen and Andruw Jones.

41 of Quentin's 84 RBIs came in June or July. Literally half his production. He had two good months that make his overall numbers look respectable. He's been horse**** in four out of the six months.

Quentin is quite literally the poster boy for Walkerball. Horse**** the first two months, fools gold hot streak in June and July to save Walk's job, then horse**** again for the stretch drive.

Press, press, press, press, try to do too much, press, press, press, try to do to much, press, press, press. That's what Walkerball is all about.

It isn't the minor league system. We have a roster full of hitters who came from other organizations. One of two things is true:

1) The players suck.
2) The environment in the clubhouse isn't conducive to relaxing and getting the job done in pressure situations. When is the pressure the greatest? At the start and at the end.

All the overall numbers for the Sox offense this year look decent. Those numbers lie, because they were so hot it was sick for about 50 games in June and July. The other 100 games have been really, really bad. All of last season was really, really bad, too.

At least they had one hot streak this year. I suppose that counts as improvement, but it still won't result in October baseball on the South Side.
If Walker had been fired in May and the offense exploded as it did, you would have used that as evidence he was the problem, even if they had this same cold streak now.

The offense has been fine except for a bad start and recently. Of course recently the pitching staff has given up 9 runs a game, but you can only blame failure on the hitting coach, not players, not the manager, not the pitching coach. Like was posted earlier, if a new hitting coach would make the White Sox a .300 hitting team with everyone hitting 30 homers, those guys would make more money than ARod. The Cubs hired one of the most expensive and one of the higher thought of hitting coaches ever. The results with the same players are about what they were with the 2 guys they fired last season. You want the Sox to hit better, you better hope KW gets better hitters because a change in hitting coaches won't make a difference.

SCCWS
09-21-2010, 06:22 PM

1) The players suck.

Quentin , as you pointed out, has had a lousy year. But why is he the poster boy for Walker? Konerko and Rios will both have close to career years. Alexei may have had the best offensive year of any SS in the AL. Same coach that TCQ had.
If you look at team stats--The offense will finish 6th out of 14 in many AL offensive categories. The Pitching will finish 7th. Looking at the White Sox pitching talent versus hitting and maybe Coop is the goat. Add in that the defense is rated 9th and it looks like the White Sox were an average AL team. They are chasing the Twins who are top 5 in all 3 categories.

TomBradley72
09-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Greg Walker is NOT the problem.

Putting crap out at 3rd base for 4 consecutive seasons is the problem (Vizquel was a nice stop gap, but you need power numbers from 3rd).
3rd base is the new version of the CF debacle from 2006-2009.

Putting crap at the DH role (Kotsay, Ramirez) is the problem. DH by committee is not necessarily a bad idea. DH by Kotsay was a bad idea.

Quentin? I'm not sure...might be worth one more season to see if he can get his **** together.

If Walker stays...fine. If he leaves...fine. Look at the hitting coach's from the best offenses in MLB, I doubt you'll think that they are the reason for the team's success...the talent on the roster is the reason.

TheOldRoman
09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Quentin , as you pointed out, has had a lousy year. But why is he the poster boy for Walker? Konerko and Rios will both have close to career years. Alexei may have had the best offensive year of any SS in the AL. Same coach that TCQ had.
If you look at team stats--The offense will finish 6th out of 14 in many AL offensive categories. The Pitching will finish 7th. Looking at the White Sox pitching talent versus hitting and maybe Coop is the goat. Add in that the defense is rated 9th and it looks like the White Sox were an average AL team. They are chasing the Twins who are top 5 in all 3 categories.There is a huge difference. You can inflate hitting stats. You CANNOT inflate pitching stats. A hitter can go 10 for 10 at any time and raise his average substantially. An offense can score 12 runs one night followed by 2 and 1 in the next games, making it look like they were respectable instead of horrible with one explosion. Pitchers can't deflate their ERAs by giving up negative runs. There is no such thing as pitching in garbage time (well, I guess that is what Linebrink does). The only way for pitchers to make their numbers better is to pitch a lot of innings, so horrible outings weigh down an ERA much more than any given hitting slump.

As for Quentin, JB hit the nail on the head. Walker has turned him into a more powerful Juan Uribe (who, coincidentally, did much better after leaving). They have taken a potentially gamechanging, MVP type talent and turned him into a low average, swing for the fences hitter who is changing his stance once per week.

GlassSox
09-21-2010, 11:03 PM
As far as Walker & Ozzie are concerned, some times it is just time for a change. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Most of us do not know how to fix it but it certainly is BBDFW.

JB98
09-21-2010, 11:06 PM
There is a huge difference. You can inflate hitting stats. You CANNOT inflate pitching stats. A hitter can go 10 for 10 at any time and raise his average substantially. An offense can score 12 runs one night followed by 2 and 1 in the next games, making it look like they were respectable instead of horrible with one explosion. Pitchers can't deflate their ERAs by giving up negative runs. There is no such thing as pitching in garbage time (well, I guess that is what Linebrink does). The only way for pitchers to make their numbers better is to pitch a lot of innings, so horrible outings weigh down an ERA much more than any given hitting slump.

As for Quentin, JB hit the nail on the head. Walker has turned him into a more powerful Juan Uribe (who, coincidentally, did much better after leaving). They have taken a potentially gamechanging, MVP type talent and turned him into a low average, swing for the fences hitter who is changing his stance once per week.

Exactly, and really, all that is sort of beside my point anyway.

My main point was it is ridiculous to say poor minor league instruction has led to a lack of execution offensively at the big league level.

As I indicated, the White Sox are a team of mercenaries. Beckham is the only key position player who was drafted by the Sox and played in the Sox farm system.

Pierre, Rios, Quentin, Vizquel, Alexei, Paulie, AJ, Jones, Teahen, Castro, Kotsay, none of these guys were Sox farmhands. Whether these guys are good, bad or mediocre as situational hitters, the Sox minor league system had zero effect on any of them.

JB98
09-21-2010, 11:08 PM
If you look at team stats--The offense will finish 6th out of 14 in many AL offensive categories. The Pitching will finish 7th. Looking at the White Sox pitching talent versus hitting and maybe Coop is the goat. Add in that the defense is rated 9th and it looks like the White Sox were an average AL team. They are chasing the Twins who are top 5 in all 3 categories.

No, he's right near his career norms.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/riosal01.shtml

Alexei Ramirez is also around his career norms.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ramiral03.shtml

canOcorn
09-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Maybe.

Maybe not.

There's an obvious disconnect between the coaching staff and KW. I spoke with Walker in KC, in late August, and there were not nice words spoken towards the GM. Maybe time will heal wounds, but it appears the coaching staff doesn't get along with the GM in any, way shape or form.

Dibbs
09-21-2010, 11:21 PM
I can only hope Greg Walker is gone. I just want to make that move for the sake of making that move. He should have been gone years ago.

DumpJerry
09-21-2010, 11:22 PM
There's an obvious disconnect between the coaching staff and KW. I spoke with Walker in KC, in late August, and there were not nice words spoken towards the GM. Maybe time will heal wounds, but it appears the coaching staff doesn't get along with the GM in any, way shape or form.
Really? By you or Walker? Does Walker know you personally? If not, I highly doubt he would say negative things to a total stranger since he would not know where his words would wind up. If he knows you, you might be a former friend of his now.

Zisk77
09-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Its refreshing to read new threads like this one. Maybe we can discuss whether we should have re-signed Thome next!

captain54
09-22-2010, 12:28 AM
not that it has anything to do with Walker....but...I am curious about what exactly is in the White Sox offensive approach that puts them in the bottom of the league in comeback wins and walkoffs....

soltrain21
09-22-2010, 12:36 AM
not that it has anything to do with Walker....but...I am curious about what exactly is in the White Sox offensive approach that puts them in the bottom of the league in comeback wins and walkoffs....

Because they don't string together hits. And overall it just seems like they shut it down around the 5-6 inning. I have no idea why that happens.

dickallen15
09-22-2010, 10:30 AM
There is a huge difference. You can inflate hitting stats. You CANNOT inflate pitching stats. A hitter can go 10 for 10 at any time and raise his average substantially. An offense can score 12 runs one night followed by 2 and 1 in the next games, making it look like they were respectable instead of horrible with one explosion. Pitchers can't deflate their ERAs by giving up negative runs. There is no such thing as pitching in garbage time (well, I guess that is what Linebrink does). The only way for pitchers to make their numbers better is to pitch a lot of innings, so horrible outings weigh down an ERA much more than any given hitting slump.

Juan Uribe? Much better? Really? Look at his first 2 years with Walker, and his 2 years in SF. They are identical. Again, don't let facts get in the way of a slam Walker argument. If consistency is a sign of good coaching, are you saying Gavin Floyd is consistent during the season? He is consistent in his seasons as is Danks, but during the season Floyd is garbage for 2 months, Cy Young for 2 months a 5th starter for a month and a half and missing starts at the end of the year 2 years in a row. Pitchers also can give up 5 runs after an error and not be charged with any of it. 10 for 10 hot streak over 500 AB really doesn't raise the average that much, but you hate Walker. You'll hate the next guy too if they don't upgrade the roster.

Its funny people say Walker ruined Quentin, when Quentin had his greatest success and did things people want him to do right now while under Walker. Of course, you cannot give Walker any credit, only blame.

Again, what hitters are significantly better after they get out of the grip of Walker? Don't say Swisher, because one reason he was traded was he didn't work with Walker.

ewokpelts
09-22-2010, 10:36 AM
fire walker

fire ozzie

heck, fire the guy that sells the comiskey dogs in the outfield

SCCWS
09-22-2010, 01:41 PM

How did "they" then turn Konerko into a MVP type talent????

ewokpelts
09-22-2010, 03:15 PM
How did "they" then turn Konerko into a MVP type talent????
konerko's contract expiring after 2010 had more to do with that

chisox59
09-22-2010, 03:27 PM
My main point was it is ridiculous to say poor minor league instruction has led to a lack of execution offensively at the big league level.

When I expressed my thoughts on this being an organizational problem I wasn’t just looking at this year. How long has the “fire Greg Walker” topic graced these pages? I know people were pleased when the same type of team hitting performance prompted the firings of Gary Ward and Von Joshua earlier in this decade. It had to be the hitting coach’s fault that the players were not executing. The trouble is we’ve seen the same scenario resurface time and time again.

I still say if you develop players the right way then your overall performance will reflect that. The Twins just happen to be the best example of how it should be done. It’s no coincidence that they’ve won 6 of the last 11 division titles. They lose a player to free agency and whomever they plug in doesn’t seem to miss a beat. When you look at their roster the only names that jump out at you are Mauer and Morneau. Most people couldn’t name five players on that team but all they do is win. They changed managers years ago and went from Tom Kelly to Ron Gardenhire without any difference in how the team performed. How many teams would continue to win if they lost their closer and top power hitter? The Twins did. If you develop your players correctly the major league coaches only need to tweak things to restore performance levels.

Ozzie wanted a different type of team to stay away from the home run droughts of the past. The problem is the players he has can’t execute the fundamentals. For that you have to blame the powers that be who put the roster together. You can’t just look at a player’s ability to run and say I want him on my team. You need to scout the total package when getting players from other organizations and not just one aspect.

Those of us old enough to have followed the Sox in the 50’s and early to mid 60’s know how doing the little things can lead to winning. I’m just saying they need to get back to teaching players how to play the game so they become major league ready. You do this in the minor leagues, not the major leagues.

SCCWS
09-22-2010, 03:34 PM
konerko's contract expiring after 2010 had more to do with that

Then if players only have MVP years when their contract is expiring,then we shouldn't have expected for TCQ to have an MVP year.

Does your theory explain the year AJ had as well ???

TDog
09-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Blaming the Sox poor situational hitting and bankrupt mental approach on the farm system is a ridiculous argument. The Sox are a team of mercenaries. Virtually none of these men came through the Sox farm system.

By the same token, mercenaries often don't play with a team approach. RBIs are far more important than it is currently fashionable to believe. It is one of the most important hitting stats for a winning team. It often isn't the lack of solid instruction in driving in runners from third with less than two outs, but a player's attitude. Maybe he strikes out because the pitcher just reared back and beat him, but often the strikeouts come because the player is trying to do too much, not for the team, but for himself, with the knowledge that when all is said and done, it is those stats that will pay the bills and people are more forgiving with strikeouts and less appreciative of RBIs than they used to be.

As for Walker, I don't think he is going anywhere. Management seems happy with him. Fans look at player stats to judge a hitting coach, and deem a hitting coach unproductive if the hitters are unproductive, but management has a better idea of what the coach's role is and what he has done for the team.