PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox to Honor Nancy/Thoughts on Faust Fest Today

Fenway
09-18-2010, 06:23 PM
The Red Sox will honor Nancy tonight when they play a recording of her playing TMOTTBG

www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/nancy-faust.mp3

If anybody has a better version please PM me ASAP

Fenway
09-18-2010, 07:26 PM
When Nancy was the HAWKS organist

vcIbL2coydM

WhiteSox5187
09-18-2010, 07:29 PM
The Red Sox will honor Nancy tonight when they play a recording of her playing TMOTTBG

www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/nancy-faust.mp3

If anybody has a better version please PM me ASAP

I would assume that this means "Take Me Out to the Ball Game." I had no idea what that meant for awhile.

Brian26
09-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Nancy's speech before the game today was ten times more eloquent and passionate than Big Hurt's. I'm not saying Frank's wasn't meaningful, but Nancy's words seemed a bit less rehearsed and more heartfelt.

It's too bad there were only about 5,000 people in the park to hear it (and I might be generous with that figure).

It was good to hear Run Around Sue one last time.

Crazy to think that she played almost exactly the same amount of time in the new park as Old Comiskey (21 Old Comiskey/20 New). I associate her so much with the old park, that it seems unbelievable she split her time between the two almost down the middle.

Rikirk
09-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Why are the Red Sox honoring her?
Someone clue me in...

DumpJerry
09-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Nancy's speech before the game today was ten times more eloquent and passionate than Big Hurt's. I'm not saying Frank's wasn't meaningful, but Nancy's words seemed a bit less rehearsed and more heartfelt.
I disagree 1,000%. Both speeches were from the heart.

Streets
09-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Is Nancy's speech online anywhere?

tacosalbarojas
09-18-2010, 09:16 PM
It is a damn shame more people weren't there for her speech. The even bigger shame is that I felt like I was the only one in my immediate sections singing along with the 0h-oh-oh Runaround Sue song. I suppose I should just be glad Brooks and the boys let her play it one more time for us.

Brian26
09-18-2010, 09:25 PM
I disagree 1,000%. Both speeches were from the heart.

Perhaps. Nancy's was much better. No knock against Frank though.

Fenway
09-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Why are the Red Sox honoring her?
Someone clue me in...

The Red Sox organist Josh Kantor grew up worshiping Nancy - He has applied for the WS job but he thinks Frank Pellico will get it.

tacosalbarojas
09-18-2010, 09:30 PM
She looked almost relieved, dancing around the field and whatnot. Deep down it cannot have been all fun to have been in such a reduced role over the past few years...no matter how much she said all the right things about wanting to work only days and knowing the role of organ music was going the way of the rotary phone.

Frank's speech was hurt, no pun intended, because he was so emotional he really couldn't get through it, or at least everything I think he was going to say.

Rikirk
09-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks Fenway...
Gonna miss Nancy, one of the first things that strike you upon entering a ballpark...any ballpark was the organist, and Faust was one of a kind.

Hope this doesnt mean the end of Na Na Hey Hey.

DumpJerry
09-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks Fenway...
Gonna miss Nancy, one of the first things that strike you upon entering a ballpark...any ballpark was the organist, and Faust was one of a kind.

Hope this doesnt mean the end of Na Na Hey Hey.
I was hoping that the Sox would hit one out so she could give us a Na Na like she did in the 70's with the slow start with the opening chords building up to the part where we start singing as the batter gets to Second and the fireworks start going.....

Oh well. Maybe on October 3rd.

Fenway
09-18-2010, 09:51 PM
She looked almost relieved, dancing around the field and whatnot. Deep down it cannot have been all fun to have been in such a reduced role over the past few years...no matter how much she said all the right things about wanting to work only days and knowing the role of organ music was going the way of the rotary phone.

Frank's speech was hurt, no pun intended, because he was so emotional he really couldn't get through it, or at least everything I think he was going to say.

A couple of years ago I told her Josh would play 'Runaround Sue' at Fenway in her honor. She smiled and said softly 'I wish I could.'

Nuf Ced.

tacosalbarojas
09-18-2010, 09:59 PM
A couple of years ago I told her Josh would play 'Runaround Sue' at Fenway in her honor. She smiled and said softly 'I wish I could.'

Nuf Ced.Indeed.

WhiteSox5187
09-18-2010, 11:00 PM

Nuf Ced.

Leave it to the White Sox to shun their traditions and show the things that gave their park a certain atmosphere out the door. I don't know if this is Jerry or if this is one of Brooks Boyer's few mistakes, but shoving out a huge piece of White Sox history is, well, less than gracious but something the Sox do time and again. No one is better at shunning their history only to realize years later they shouldn't have done that than the Sox.

Dan H
09-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Leave it to the White Sox to shun their traditions and show the things that gave their park a certain atmosphere out the door. I don't know if this is Jerry or if this is one of Brooks Boyer's few mistakes, but shoving out a huge piece of White Sox history is, well, less than gracious but something the Sox do time and again. No one is better at shunning their history only to realize years later they shouldn't have done that than the Sox.

I agree only I don't think Jerry Reinsdorf ever really understood White Sox history or White Sox fans. We wanted to hear Nancy; they wanted to blast our ears with canned music. I wish her the best.

DrCrawdad
09-19-2010, 07:34 AM
I grew up listening to Nancy play at old Comiskey. I'm certainly a sentimental kind of guy and I prefer an organist to the ear deafening canned music. I just wonder though if those of us who prefer organ over canned are an aging minority. I wonder if in reality most actually prefer the canned stuff.

dickallen15
09-19-2010, 08:32 AM
I remember reading when the canned music started being heard more and more, it was because the players, not the fans, preferred the canned stuff. This would go hand in hand with Ozzie's comments since he was a White Sox player at the time it first started.

I personally think the only reason the Sox are even considering another organist is to try to show that they never wanted Nancy to leave. If they really truly want an organist they will want him or her for 81 games not a limited schedule.

I just don't see how Nancy's stuff gets old quickly, but Start Me Up right before the first pitch or Konerko's introductory music 4 times a game for 6 years never gets old. Maybe Ozzie should pay more attention to the game, and not to the in game entertainment which I believe the White Sox provide for the fans, but apparently am wrong and its for him.

Maybe it is a generation thing, but really the only younger person I have ever heard complaining about Nancy claiming the canned stuff was much more enjoyable was Oney, and that's really not his original thought, because frankly he doesn't have any of those.

DrCrawdad
09-19-2010, 08:48 AM
I remember reading when the canned music started being heard more and more, it was because the players, not the fans, preferred the canned stuff. This would go hand in hand with Ozzie's comments since he was a White Sox player at the time it first started.

I personally think the only reason the Sox are even considering another organist is to try to show that they never wanted Nancy to leave. If they really truly want an organist they will want him or her for 81 games not a limited schedule.

I just don't see how Nancy's stuff gets old quickly, but Start Me Up right before the first pitch or Konerko's introductory music 4 times a game for 6 years never gets old. Maybe Ozzie should pay more attention to the game, and not to the in game entertainment which I believe the White Sox provide for the fans, but apparently am wrong and its for him.

Maybe it is a generation thing, but really the only younger person I have ever heard complaining about Nancy claiming the canned stuff was much more enjoyable was Oney, and that's really not his original thought, because frankly he doesn't have any of those.

I have a coworker (early 30 yrs old) who is a HUGE Sox fan that strongly dislikes organ music and prefers the canned music clips.

SI1020
09-19-2010, 09:08 AM
I grew up listening to Nancy play at old Comiskey. I'm certainly a sentimental kind of guy and I prefer an organist to the ear deafening canned music. I just wonder though if those of us who prefer organ over canned are an aging minority. I wonder if in reality most actually prefer the canned stuff. You might have a point, and I need to be careful here so I don't get into trouble. Suffice to say I don't think much of the state of the culture these days. Still, I'm heartened that so many Sox fans could see Nancy for the rare treasure she is.

Hitmen77
09-19-2010, 09:32 AM
I grew up listening to Nancy play at old Comiskey. I'm certainly a sentimental kind of guy and I prefer an organist to the ear deafening canned music. I just wonder though if those of us who prefer organ over canned are an aging minority. I wonder if in reality most actually prefer the canned stuff.

That might be true for some, but I find it hard to believe that even most younger fans want to dump organ music because it annoys them.

Since the Sox have for years had a mix of both canned music and organ music. Fans have a flavor of both and can't complain that it's an excess of organ music for 3 straight hours.

The thing is, baseball seems to be the one sport that is full of fans (young and old) who are "traditionalist" or "purist". People of all ages seem to fawn over old, decrepit ballparks, retro-ballparks, throwback promotions, singing take me out to the ballgame etc. Wrigley Field plays organ music and I don't see the young, "in" crowd avoiding that place because they "can't stand" organ music.

I think the problem is that a lot of places these days are desperately trying to please the lowest common denominator. Younger fans like DJ music. So we've got to appeal to them by playing it CONSTANTLY and VERY LOUDLY!!!

As far as anyone who finds organ music they play at the Cell (even in its limited amounts) "annoying", oh please, boo hoo.:violin:. I think it's more likely that some people can't stand the idea that they have to go 10 minutes without the same generic canned music blaring nonstop.

wassagstdu
09-19-2010, 09:35 AM
How about a bronze statue for Nancy behind the plate?

Hitmen77
09-19-2010, 09:39 AM

I agree that this has been a problem with the Sox throughout the Reinsdorf era. They seem to want to shun tradition and history. The original design of New Comiskey is just one example.

I'm okay with them cutting back on organ music. It doesn't have to be playing non-stop for 3 hours (though I would personally like like). But the Sox for years have been desperately trying to appeal to a certain demographic by shunning tradition while the Cubs have been raking in the dough appealing to tradition.

For a while (maybe 15 or so years ago), one of my fears was that the Sox were going to one day suddenly ax Nancy Faust. If that had happened, I had little doubt in my mind that she would have been scooped up by the Cubs and suddenly would have become a classic at Wrigley and yet another example of why the Cubs have all the tradition and character and the Sox have nothing but a generic atmosphere.

OldRomanPizza
09-19-2010, 11:03 AM
I always really liked when she played Axel F. I associate that song with the Sox more than I do any movie or wherever it came from.

Runaround Sue was a classic as well, as much as I don't care for that song when I hear it at 98 percent of the weddings I am at!

She also would do a really jazzed up version of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring which I first heard when trying badly to learn that song for my piano teacher.

Anyways....it was nice to be there yesterday, on an otherwise forgettable afternoon.

roylestillman
09-19-2010, 11:44 AM
The Red Sox organist Josh Kantor grew up worshiping Nancy - He has applied for the WS job but he thinks Frank Pellico will get it.

Fenway-

In case you didn't see it, the Sun-Times published a nice letter to the editor from Josh Kantor in today's paper:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/commentary/letters/2723078,CST-EDT-vox19a.article

Hitmen77
09-19-2010, 01:33 PM

It's too bad there were only about 5,000 people in the park to hear it (and I might be generous with that figure).

It was good to hear Run Around Sue one last time.

Crazy to think that she played almost exactly the same amount of time in the new park as Old Comiskey (21 Old Comiskey/20 New). I associate her so much with the old park, that it seems unbelievable she split her time between the two almost down the middle.

Brian,
I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday.....that her time has been split almost evenly between the two parks but that I really associate her with having a longer history at the old park.

I think this has to do with our ages. I'm too young to remember Nancy's early days. So, to me, it seemed like she had been at Old Comiskey "forever". Also, the years at the new ballpark have been my adult years....and 15 or 20 years in adulthood seems to go by much faster than childhood years.

Also, I don't know if it's just me and what age I am, but to me it doesn't seem like society and culture have changed nearly as much from 1991 to today vs. 1970 to 1990....which made 1970 seem like a long time ago even in 1991. Same with the Sox. They've had the same uniforms, same ownership, same announcer, etc. since 1991. Aside from the players coming and going, the 90s for the Sox didn't feel all that different than today. It's not like the players were wearing funky red uniforms and sporting afros and sideburns in 1992 :-).

If you think about it, the new ballpark will be 20 years old in April while Old Comiskey was around for 80 years. That means the new park has already been around about 1/4 as long as the old park. It's kind of like finding it hard to believe that the Dodgers have played at Dodger Stadium longer than they played at Ebbets Field now....even though Ebbets Field was long, long before I was born.

Fenway
09-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Fenway-

In case you didn't see it, the Sun-Times published a nice letter to the editor from Josh Kantor in today's paper:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/commentary/letters/2723078,CST-EDT-vox19a.article

Josh is a great person and a great organist.

skobabe8
09-19-2010, 06:32 PM

Well said.

I'm embarrassed for anyone in my generation (I'm 30) who prefers canned music over the organ.

Daver
09-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Well said.

I'm embarrassed for anyone in my generation (I'm 30) who prefers canned music over the organ.

I would never feel embarrassment for the actions of a misguided fool, pity perhaps, but not embarrassment.

cards press box
09-19-2010, 06:45 PM

I was there for Nancy's speech. It was a wonderful speech, straight from the heart. Her remarks made think about all the years that I have gone to games at Comiskey and the Cell, how much I have enjoyed the games and how much I will miss Nancy.

I'm glad to was able to see the whole ceremony honoring her.

roylestillman
09-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Well said.

If I hear "R-O-W-D-I-E..." and "Ev'rybody clap your hands..." one more time, I'm taking the batteries out of my hearing aids.

soxcap
09-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Re fans "disliking organ music:" If you asked most people, me included, "Do you like organ music?" I'd expect to hear No! Or, "not really." Because people think of organ music as either big phantom-of-the-opera stuff or church music. Baseball organ only brings up "Charge!" in a lot of people's minds. So who's dying to hear Charge a million times when instead they could hear their favorite pop song? But that misses the point with Nancy. I have to think that White Sox fans who say they don't want organ music at the ballpark have never really listened when Nancy played. She was never limited to "Charge." She played pop songs all the time, and not just pop songs from 1970, and all those clever little snippets for the opposing team too. She doesn't play the same musical joke for every player's at-bat, either. So if you're sitting through a sorry Sox loss, and the DJ music isn't going to pump you up unless you see your own face on the Jumbotron, there was always Nancy to keep you guessing while you waited hopefully for that last minute Sox comeback...

C-Dawg
09-20-2010, 08:20 AM
I remember reading when the canned music started being heard more and more, it was because the players, not the fans, preferred the canned stuff.

I remember the same article, it was in the Tribune (big surprise there). Probably late-90s. Players complained it sounded like a circus with organ music for 3 hours each game.

Fenway
09-20-2010, 09:38 AM

In fairness the White Sox history is well documented in the upper deck - problem is many fans never go up there.

ewokpelts
09-20-2010, 09:57 AM
It is a damn shame more people weren't there for her speech. The even bigger shame is that I felt like I was the only one in my immediate sections singing along with the 0h-oh-oh Runaround Sue song. I suppose I should just be glad Brooks and the boys let her play it one more time for us.when was it played? i had to leave early due to ******* near my seats.

ewokpelts
09-20-2010, 09:58 AM
The Red Sox organist Josh Kantor grew up worshiping Nancy - He has applied for the WS job but he thinks Frank Pellico will get it.ANYONE playing the organ, even in a limited capacity, is better than all canned crap all the time.

Foulke You
09-20-2010, 11:02 AM
If I hear "R-O-W-D-I-E..." and "Ev'rybody clap your hands..." one more time, I'm taking the batteries out of my hearing aids.
Agreed. These are the two most overused audio clips at our park. Especially the "R-O-W-D-I-E" chant. They have played that one forever and nobody ever reacts to it. You are guaranteed to hear it at least a half dozen times per game too.

C-Dawg
09-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Especially the "R-O-W-D-I-E" chant. They have played that one forever and nobody ever reacts to it. You are guaranteed to hear it at least a half dozen times per game too.

That's too funny; although I've heard it a million times, I never could understand what they're saying.

soxfan43
09-20-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm a youngerish fan(late 20's) and I cannot see why any baseball fan earth would prefer canned music to a live organist. What's the attraction to hearing the same crap music you hear on the radio at the ballpark? I understand if players want a specific song to be played for their walk up music but other than that, I just cannot see why anyone would not prefer Nancy or an organist. People really would prefer to hear 15seconds of a song they can play on their Ipod or something? Maybe I'm crazy, but I just don't get it.

Hitmen77
09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
when was it played? i had to leave early due to ******* near my seats.

Right after "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".

ewokpelts
09-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Right after "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".there ya go. i had a horrible experince in my seats. the all but final nail in the coffin for me not renewing next year

LongLiveFisk
09-20-2010, 02:38 PM
She was never limited to "Charge." She played pop songs all the time, and not just pop songs from 1970, and all those clever little snippets for the opposing team too.

Exactly! She played a lot of great ones. I used to like when she'd play the Cheers theme song when they played the Red Sox. She would also play "Walk Like An Egyptian" when a player walked. What others can you guys think of?

TomBradley72
09-20-2010, 02:46 PM

Along with the "Fan-O-Meter" which tells us to cheer.

Pathetic.

tacosalbarojas
09-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Exactly! She played a lot of great ones. I used to like when she'd play the Cheers theme song when they played the Red Sox. She would also play "Walk Like An Egyptian" when a player walked. What others can you guys think of?
Many others to be sure; some which stand out to me:

Saturday Night's Allright For Fighting - usually near the beginning of Saturday night games.

Start Me Up - after the first hit of a game for the Sox.

Duke of Earl and Fame for Pudge.

Johnny Angel for any player named Johnny a la Johnny Damon.

Take Five by Brubek for any #5 player.

Even more esoteric perhaps, there are certain moments where Nancy will be playing a fragment of one of her stable of regulars and I will still associate it with moments from big games...like the time I was on the concourse walking before game two of the ALDS in '05 and the strains of "Dancing Queen" came on. Never been a big ABBA fan or disco era guy, but for some reason this still resonates with me from that night. Nancy truly was the warm up act that was an intrinsic part of the game day experience.

Some of my personal favorites like Classical Gas and Forever in Blue Jeans (Nancy could even give appeal to Neil Diamond songs!) are on a casette tape I still have called "Nancy's Favorites". Anyone else out there have this? Would love to see it on CD. She will be missed but time marches on I suppose. If she came back it wouldn't be all that unusual in the large pantheon of sports comebacks, would she????

LongLiveFisk
09-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Duke of Earl and Fame for Pudge.

Now that's funny because I remember reading a quote of his saying that he hated that song. :lol:

I also seem to recall her playing Kenny Rogers music whenever pitcher Kenny Rogers came to the mound. :tongue:

cards press box
09-21-2010, 01:53 PM
In fairness the White Sox history is well documented in the upper deck - problem is many fans never go up there.

Not true anymore, Fenway. The Sox have had the flat roof for six years now and that roof eliminated the so-called "vertigo" effect in the UD. Even with this up and down season, the Sox went over 2,000,000 for the sixth straight year. Lots of people watch the game from the upper deck.

I'll throw out of one Nancy's subtlest songs. She played "Bus Stop" for Brandon Inge. Why? She played the song because the playwright William Inge wrote the play Bus Stop. The film version starred Marilyn Monroe and Don Murray.

SephClone89
09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Not true anymore, Fenway. The Sox have had the flat roof for six years now and that roof eliminated the so-called "vertigo" effect in the UD. Even with this up and down season, the Sox went over 2,000,000 for the sixth straight year. Lots of people watch the game from the upper deck..

I think he was referring to the Sox history mural that wraps all the way around the UD concourse.

Fenway
09-21-2010, 02:22 PM
I think he was referring to the Sox history mural that wraps all the way around the UD concourse.

I was

http://www.baseballstadiumreviews.com/Photos%20Stadium%20Pages/Major%20League%20Parks/US%20Cellular/whitesoxshistory.JPG

http://www.baseballstadiumreviews.com/Photos%20Stadium%20Pages/Major%20League%20Parks/US%20Cellular/whitesoxupperconcourse.JPG

Milw
09-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only person who likes a mix of both. I miss not hearing the organ during night games, but on the other hand, I get bored of it pretty quickly.

tebman
09-21-2010, 03:58 PM
I'll throw out of one Nancy's subtlest songs. She played "Bus Stop" for Brandon Inge. Why? She played the song because the playwright William Inge wrote the play Bus Stop. The film version starred Marilyn Monroe and Don Murray.

Late last season we were at a game that Dan Hudson pitched. As Gene Honda was reading the lineups, Nancy was playing a few bars of songs appropriate for the players named. At the end he announced the starter warming up in the bullpen was Daniel Hudson, and Nancy played in a low key the old General Boushelle jingle (Hudson 3-2700). I laughed out loud knowing that I was one of maybe 10 people in the ballpark who knew what the connection was. :D:

FielderJones
09-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Late last season we were at a game that Dan Hudson pitched. As Gene Honda was reading the lineups, Nancy was playing a few bars of songs appropriate for the players named. At the end he announced the starter warming up in the bullpen was Daniel Hudson, and Nancy played in a low key the old General Boushelle jingle (Hudson 3-2700). I laughed out loud knowing that I was one of maybe 10 people in the ballpark who knew what the connection was. :D:

I was one of those 10.:wink:

SI1020
09-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I was one of those 10.:wink: If I'd have been there it would have been 11.

ILGCHvMSuWk

GoGoCrede
09-21-2010, 04:51 PM
That's too funny; although I've heard it a million times, I never could understand what they're saying.

I could never understand what they were spelling! My friend had to tell me.

GoGoCrede
09-21-2010, 04:53 PM

I LOVE trying to make these connections, why she plays certain songs for certain players. I think an opposing pitcher once had a last name similar to "Claus." So what did Nancy play? "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." I still have not figured out why she played the Wizard of Oz theme for Podsednik earlier this year, though.

TomBradley72
09-21-2010, 05:14 PM
I LOVE trying to make these connections, why she plays certain songs for certain players. I think an opposing pitcher once had a last name similar to "Claus." So what did Nancy play? "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." I still have not figured out why she played the Wizard of Oz theme for Podsednik earlier this year, though.

Something to do with "We're not in Kansas anymore"?

TommyJohn
09-21-2010, 06:55 PM

Something to do with "We're not in Kansas anymore"?
If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say it is because many people call him "Scotty Pods" and "Pods" sounds close to "Oz."

Fenway
09-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Nancy interview on WBEZ

http://www.wbez.org/Content.aspx?audioID=44483

XplodingScorbord
09-22-2010, 06:49 PM
How about the Sox and Red Sox in the offseason complete a "trade," with the White Sox getting Josh Kantor, and the Sawx getting (I don't know what, but something of value that's a bit quirky)? Couldn't there be some interesting publicity to be had there? Bringing local-boy-made-good home to play, and doing it in an offbeat way seems like a good idea to me. You'd have to similarly benefit the Red Sox, but I'm sure the creative minds of the two teams could come up with something that's a win-win.

Fenway
09-22-2010, 07:18 PM
How about the Sox and Red Sox in the offseason complete a "trade," with the White Sox getting Josh Kantor, and the Sawx getting (I don't know what, but something of value that's a bit quirky)? Couldn't there be some interesting publicity to be had there? Bringing local-boy-made-good home to play, and doing it in an offbeat way seems like a good idea to me. You'd have to similarly benefit the Red Sox, but I'm sure the creative minds of the two teams could come up with something that's a win-win.

I didn't know Josh's connection to Chicago until 2 years ago at the minor league DH at Fenway he started playing Runaround Sue....an inning later I stuck my head into the booth and said Nancy Faust and he replied 'She is my idol'

From his letter to the Sun Times and a conversation I had with her I can tell you she thinks he is very, very good. I hope it happens that he gets the job, he would do just fine.

LongLiveFisk
09-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Oh yeah! I remember that! I wondered how many people caught that myself. :D:

TornLabrum
09-22-2010, 09:00 PM

I seem to have heard that somewhere before....

Anybody catch this classic Faustian bit of esoterica today when Brandon Inge came up to bat? She played the Hollies' "Bus Stop."

For those of you who don't get it (which includes the group I was with), the play "Bus Stop" was written by William Inge. I laughed my head off, but that's because I'm probably an out of the way relic.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I still have not figured out why she played the Wizard of Oz theme for Podsednik earlier this year, though.

If you mean the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," I figured it was either the Kansas thing or a reference to his walk off HR in Game 2 -- though it was barely over the wall and not really "way up high" -- high enough though.:D:

cards press box
09-24-2010, 02:06 PM
I seem to have heard that somewhere before....

Sorry about that -- I didn't recall that being discussed before. I also enjoyed the William Inge reference (I thought his plays were great; Picnic, Dark at the Top of the Stairs and Splendor in the Grass are all excellent) and I have to say that I, too, have my "dinosaur" moments.

Rocky Soprano
09-24-2010, 02:50 PM

Nuf Ced.

It is a damn shame more people weren't there for her speech. The even bigger shame is that I felt like I was the only one in my immediate sections singing along with the 0h-oh-oh Runaround Sue song. I suppose I should just be glad Brooks and the boys let her play it one more time for us.

Pardon my ignorance but why don't let her play it anymore?