PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9/18 Different Day, Same Result Gamethread

WhiteSox5187
09-18-2010, 07:01 PM
The bad news is that the Sox lost, the good news is I FINALLY figured out the chords to "Femme Fatale" by the Velvet Underground. Also Brent Morel continues to look good.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-18-2010, 07:04 PM
5 in a row now?

Way to **** the bed, guys. Go down if you're going to go down, but at least do it with some pride.

Rikirk
09-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Hey...If your gonna loose, loose big.
Go ahead and drop the rest of the games...I ain t watchin em anymore.

samurai_sox
09-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Seriously, what else can be said?

This team is done, Manny has been a bust, the bullpen couldn't get a out if their lives depended on it, etc.

This season just needs to end NOW and big changes need to happen this offseason.

konerko 14
09-18-2010, 07:07 PM
at least Infante and Morel looked good today

A. Cavatica
09-18-2010, 07:08 PM
So, Kenny...did you "shock the world"?

Tragg
09-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Oz's policy of playing dead veterans in mop up time continues to pay big dividends.

What an anchor in the dugout.

WhiteSox5187
09-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Oz's policy of playing dead veterans in mop up time continues to pay big dividends.

Who? Teahen? He's started Morel in what now? Three straight games and he's the only guy who has a future in this organization.

DrCrawdad
09-18-2010, 07:14 PM
at least Infante and Morel looked good today

True. I was sitting nearby the BP when Infante warmed up. I thought he was going to get called in last night. Hopefully Infante does successfully fills a BP vacancy next year.

What about the arms the Sox got in the Swisher to Yankees trade? Do Marquez and/or Nunez show any hope of being able to help the Sox next year? Ever? I'd guess a sign of where the rank in consideration for next year is the fact that they didn't even merit a September call-up.

soltrain21
09-18-2010, 07:15 PM

I love our clubhouse of "good guys" that "hope" to win every game. How can't you?!

I can't wait until Joe Randa and Frank Cattalantao play third and right next year.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2010, 07:25 PM
This team has decided to flush themselves right down the toilet. At the rate they are going, they'll finish behind Detroit too.

Three more wins for a winning season, 14 games left, can they do it? LOL

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Crawdad:

I'd be very surprised if either of those guys do anything for the Sox at any point in time.

Lip

SoxSpeed22
09-18-2010, 07:30 PM
http://www.freefoto.com/images/04/30/04_30_8---Posting-a-letter-into-a-US-Mail-Box_web.jpg?&k=Posting+a+letter+into+a+US+Mail+Box
Yeah

Tragg
09-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Who? Teahen? He's started Morel in what now? Three straight games and he's the only guy who has a future in this organization.
There's no reason Viciedo and Flowers shouldn't be playing. And any other minor league player who's on the bench. That's who

tebman
09-18-2010, 07:38 PM
No pick to click yet, but there's really nobody who clicked.

The Totally Biased Game Recap (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=4056) is available for your perusal.

Nancy Faust was the only reason to show up today.

soxnut1018
09-18-2010, 07:41 PM
I went, I got a bobblehead, and the game was just an afterthought.

mcsoxfan
09-18-2010, 07:42 PM
To all you Ozziepologists, looks like your boy is on his way out.

Let the swan song begin!!!

Dan H
09-18-2010, 08:00 PM
I will say that Verlander was on top of his game today. But the Sox could have done better than seven 3-up, 3 down innings.

Sitting in the left field bleachers, I couldn't keep the tears out of my eyes watching the video on Nancy. That is how I feel about the season, too.

There is no reason to play the veterans now. If Ozzie won't give the young players a chance, fire him, and put someone in who will.

tstrike2000
09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
I just hope Chris Sale's neck is ok after watching Scott Sizemore's homerun go out faster than a jet hitting the sound barrier.

LITTLE NELL
09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
This season is turning into a joke, but I'm crying instead of laughing.

Rikirk
09-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I like Ozzie...
But I REALLY want to see a change.

soxlady8
09-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Seriously, what else can be said?

This team is done, Manny has been a bust, the bullpen couldn't get a out if their lives depended on it, etc.

This season just needs to end NOW and big changes need to happen this offseason.

Well said -- I feel the same way !!

doublem23
09-18-2010, 08:19 PM

And that's based on what, exactly? The year was basically over well before the Twins series even started.

This season is turning into a joke, but I'm crying instead of laughing.

Meh, these games have all been pretty meaningless. Even if the Sox had swept the Twins, they'd still be staring at a 3-game deficit with 16 to play. Not impossible, but still improbable.

Whatever, they lasted until September. At least 15 teams in the Majors would have traded their 2010 for ours.

WhiteSox5187
09-18-2010, 08:27 PM
There's no reason Viciedo and Flowers shouldn't be playing. And any other minor league player who's on the bench. That's who

All Flowers would do is drive up AJ's value as it would become quite apparent that there is no feasible catcher in the Sox system to replace AJ. The only position that Vicideo could play is first or DH and since we're paying Manny something in the neighborhood of $3 million you might as well use him. I don't think Paulie has done anything quite deserving of being benched either. I suppose they could stick him in RF, I don't think he could be as bad as Teahen.

Brian26
09-18-2010, 08:38 PM
I went, I got a bobblehead, and the game was just an afterthought.

True story - I saw a guy walking east on 35th Street (east of the Dan Ryan) with his bobblehead at around 2pm today. He got his bobblehead and skipped the game.

Brian26
09-18-2010, 08:39 PM
And that's based on what, exactly? The year was basically over well before the Twins series even started.

Yep. The Sox were dead going into the Twins series. They knew it. Unfortunately, the only people that didn't want to believe it were the fans.

Tragg
09-18-2010, 08:57 PM
All Flowers would do is drive up AJ's value as it would become quite apparent that there is no feasible catcher in the Sox system to replace AJ. The only position that Vicideo could play is first or DH and since we're paying Manny something in the neighborhood of $3 million you might as well use him. I don't think Paulie has done anything quite deserving of being benched either. I suppose they could stick him in RF, I don't think he could be as bad as Teahen.
I'd play them anyway...if you know that, they know that (AJ's agent, other teams) and it can't hurt to play them because their value is low. They won't get better if they don't play.

It sounds like we have absolutely nothing in the minors remotely close other than Morel. And most of our major leaguers are declining veterans.

DumpJerry
09-18-2010, 09:57 PM

Dude, your hatred of all things Ozzie is so open. I bet you wake up in the morning and if it is cloudy out you figure the White Sox will fire Ozzie because of it.

Ozzie is the Manager next year. Get used to it.

True story - I saw a guy walking east on 35th Street (east of the Dan Ryan) with his bobblehead at around 2pm today. He got his bobblehead and skipped the game.
Not necessarily. Many people buy two tickets for bobblehead games so they can get a bobblehead and then take it to the car and re-enter with the second ticket. This means they don't have to schlep it all game long. Also, some people bring an unticketed friend with them and pass the bobblehead to them through the fence for the same reason.

In 2006 when they handed out World Series rings and trophies, I saw a lot of people heading to their cars with the goodies before the game started. Something tells me nobody was walking away from the opportunity to attend those games.

OmahaSoxFan
09-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Ugh, this team played like it is dead... outside of the come-back from 3-0 earlier today... the AL Central seems to own the Sox the last couple of years, that is pretty unforgivable. The Sox better watch out, or they won't just finish in 2nd in the division, they'll finish 3rd if they don't pick it up...

Just dreadful... :mad:

Brian26
09-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Not necessarily. Many people buy two tickets for bobblehead games so they can get a bobblehead and then take it to the car and re-enter with the second ticket. This means they don't have to schlep it all game long. Also, some people bring an unticketed friend with them and pass the bobblehead to them through the fence for the same reason.

In 2006 when they handed out World Series rings and trophies, I saw a lot of people heading to their cars with the goodies before the game started. Something tells me nobody was walking away from the opportunity to attend those games.

Yeah, it would have been really hard to schlep those World Series rings around all game, having to stick them in your pocket and be inconvenienced for the next few hours.

What kind of moron would inconvenience himself by exiting the park and walking a mile east, across the expressway, to the Green Line to stash a bobblehead in a car instead of just bringing a bag with him to the game?

DumpJerry
09-18-2010, 10:37 PM
What kind of moron would inconvenience himself by exiting the park and walking a mile east, across the expressway, to the Green Line to stash a bobblehead in a car instead of just bringing a bag with him to the game?
I would. I park at 35th and Dearborn. I don't like dragging stuff in around the park. I did not do that today, but was tempted to get a cheap ticket for convenience sake. It is less than half a mile from the Park to State Street. The park is 333 west. Half a mile from State Street is 400 west.

JB98
09-18-2010, 10:41 PM

You mean other than the fact that they haven't earned the right to start?

Morel has earned the right to receive an opportunity based on the outstanding year he had in the minors. Lo and behold, he's playing.

Morel played. Lillibridge played. Harrell pitched. Sale pitched. Infante pitched. Yeah, Ozzie is railroading the young players.

Those who deserve a chance are receiving one.

Brian26
09-18-2010, 11:18 PM
I would.

You win. You'd buy an extra ticket so that you could schlep your bobblehead a half-mile east to your car so you could come back and re-enter the park (assuming you don't accept another bobblehead on your 2nd entry) and not have to carry anything around during the game.

Makes perfect sense.

:clap:

ChiSox81
09-19-2010, 12:23 AM

Morel has earned the right to receive an opportunity based on the outstanding year he had in the minors. Lo and behold, he's playing.

Morel played. Lillibridge played. Harrell pitched. Sale pitched. Infante pitched. Yeah, Ozzie is railroading the young players.

That is a fine attitude to have in June if the team is in contention. At this point though the season is over and our focus should be on 2011. We need to see as much as possible from Flowers to determine if he is a major league catcher.

LoveYourSuit
09-19-2010, 12:47 AM

Then what's the point to have promoted them for September if they did not diserve it :scratch:

Sadly suck or not suck, Viciedo and Flowers might be playing a big role here sooner than most of us want based on the payroll situation the Sox are in. Might as well play them.

Just my thought.

LoveYourSuit
09-19-2010, 12:54 AM

Meh, these games have all been pretty meaningless. Even if the Sox had swept the Twins, they'd still be staring at a 3-game deficit with 16 to play. Not impossible, but still improbable.

Whatever, they lasted until September. At least 15 teams in the Majors would have traded their 2010 for ours.

Give me a break.:rolleyes:

You, me, and everyone and their mother would have been buzzing had this happened.

Those games were not meaningless. That we were not prepared to play, that's a different story.

doublem23
09-19-2010, 01:14 AM
Give me a break.:rolleyes:

You, me, and everyone and their mother would have been buzzing had this happened.

Those games were not meaningless. That we were not prepared to play, that's a different story.

That's because we're fans and we're idiots. Anyone with even a basic understanding of probability and statistics would have recognized that, even with sweeping Minnesota, the Sox were still in need of a Haily Mary.

LoveYourSuit
09-19-2010, 01:32 AM
That's because we're fans and we're idiots. Anyone with even a basic understanding of probability and statistics would have recognized that, even with sweeping Minnesota, the Sox were still in need of a Haily Mary.

Other seasons, I am right there with you.

This season, we have seen plenty of crazy runs by teams including us. Making up 3 games in 16 was possible IMO had we got hot again and adding Manny to mix.

Also, in 2008 didn't we make up 2 games in the standings with only 6 to play? And I thought that team was not as good as this one after losing Quentin.

guillensdisciple
09-19-2010, 01:49 AM
Haven't watched for a bit, does Hawk still say DSNB every time we score a run?

doublem23
09-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Other seasons, I am right there with you.

This season, we have seen plenty of crazy runs by teams including us. Making up 3 games in 16 was possible IMO had we got hot again and adding Manny to mix.

Also, in 2008 didn't we make up 2 games in the standings with only 6 to play? And I thought that team was not as good as this one after losing Quentin.

No, we never dropped further than 1/2 game behind the Twinks after that epic Metrodome implosion.

captain54
09-19-2010, 02:37 AM

and at least 15 teams wouldn't....so that leaves the 2010 Chicago White Sox perfectly mediocre...that should pump up season ticket sales for 2011

I'm all for being postive, but seriously, what is really the point of reminding everyone the Sox were also-rans in 2010, and then trying to make it look like some sort of accomplishment?

doublem23
09-19-2010, 03:17 AM
and at least 15 teams wouldn't....so that leaves the 2010 Chicago White Sox perfectly mediocre...that should pump up season ticket sales for 2011

I'm all for being postive, but seriously, what is really the point of reminding everyone the Sox were also-rans in 2010, and then trying to make it look like some sort of accomplishment?

Dude, if you didn't have any fun this season, then I don't know what to tell you.

Furthermore, the Sox are about middle of the road, but the way some people talk, you'd think we were the Nationals or Pirates. There's plenty to be positive about with the Sox and plenty of reason to look forward to 2011.

The way last season ended and the way 2010 started, there was a strong chunk of posters and fans who predicted nothing but doom and gloom for the Sox for the next several seasons (REMEMBER, THEY COULDN'T EVEN CHANGE ALL THE LIGHT BULBS) and here we are with an outside shot at winning 90 games and finishing #5 in the American League. Not a successful season, but nothing like the disaster we were staring down just a few months ago.

Viva Medias B's
09-19-2010, 04:00 AM
Like all of you, I am disappointed that we will apparently fall short of the playoffs. Too many things wrong with our team helped contribute to that. Nevertheless, I don't think we're a bad team. As MM pointed out, we won't end up with a bad record. We are a good baseball team. Of course, as White Sox fans, we are very demanding as we should be. But remember that it should not take much to bring us to Minnesota's level. They key to that is whether or not KW does it right. This year, I don't think he did. And that is why I have suggested that he should go, at times. But he did get the job done in other years, didn't he.

wassagstdu
09-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Like all of you, I am disappointed that we will apparently fall short of the playoffs. Too many things wrong with our team helped contribute to that. Nevertheless, I don't think we're a bad team. As MM pointed out, we won't end up with a bad record. We are a good baseball team. Of course, as White Sox fans, we are very demanding as we should be. But remember that it should not take much to bring us to Minnesota's level.

For whatever reason(s), mental, physical, structural, or all three, this team cannot beat the Twins. And we don't have the dome as an excuse any longer. As long as that is true, they cannot win the AL Central. And while they may not be far from a 90+ win team, they are far from being able even to play .500 against the Twins. I say it is time to restock the farm and get out of this cycle of trying to find that last piece among yesteryear's PH'd stars. Reverse the legendary blunder of the Freese-for-Callison strategy by unloading our Gene Freeses.

LITTLE NELL
09-19-2010, 10:27 AM

Hard to say, you never know what a sweep would have done to the mindsets of the 2 teams.

ChiSoxGirl
09-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Haven't watched for a bit, does Hawk still say DSNB every time we score a run?

No... every time we get a hit!!!! At first, I liked his "Don't stop now, boys" saying, but now it's beyond old and completely overused.

I was there yesterday and it was the least enthused I've been at a game all season. I didn't keep score, I wasn't hanging on every pitch, I was just there... enjoying my surroundings, and soaking up every moment, knowing I likely only have one more game left this season. :whiner: Despite all that, I had fun yesterday. :smile:

DickAllen72
09-19-2010, 12:19 PM
That is a fine attitude to have in June if the team is in contention. At this point though the season is over and our focus should be on 2011. We need to see as much as possible from Flowers to determine if he is a major league catcher.
He's not. Not a starting catcher on a contender anyway.

He strikes out at an alarmingly high rate in the minor leagues, hit for an abismally low average in AAA, and has a terribly long swing which would make him even worse in the majors. And his defense isn't anywhere near good enough to cover his offensive shortcomings.

Hopefully he hits a couple of mammoth HRs in front of some scouts so the Sox can get something for him before the world finds out he's a complete bust.

Hitmen77
09-19-2010, 02:02 PM
This team has decided to flush themselves right down the toilet. At the rate they are going, they'll finish behind Detroit too.

Three more wins for a winning season, 14 games left, can they do it? LOL

Lip

http://www.freefoto.com/images/04/30/04_30_8---Posting-a-letter-into-a-US-Mail-Box_web.jpg?&k=Posting+a+letter+into+a+US+Mail+Box
Yeah

Detroit has a worse record than we do. So why are we the only team out there playing like we've totally given up?

I was at the game and the only thing worthwhile was the Nancy Faust tributes. Other than that, the team was lifeless as usual and even most of the fans didn't give a ****. It was a tied game in the 8th with Detroit threatening to score.....and all many fans cared about was doing "the wave" Yayyyyy!!!!!!
:puking: