PDA

View Full Version : NY TIMES on Nancy

Fenway
09-18-2010, 09:58 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/18/sports/baseball/18organist.html

NESN is hoping Nancy will work at least one of the Boston games the last week of the season as they will be doing a tribute to her.

SephClone89
09-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Pretty classless from Ozzie.

Streets
09-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Can't read the article unless you join the NYTimes.com, it's free but really... how much more does one need to sign up for?

Fenway
09-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Only Ozzie would compare Nancy to a vuvuzela

Great choice for her last song )

manders_01
09-18-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm really sad that I didn't get an opportunity to see Nancy this season. She will definitely be missed!

Surprised by Ozzie comment though. I wonder if he's always felt this way?

Can't read the article unless you join the NYTimes.com, it's free but really... how much more does one need to sign up for?

I read it and I'm not signed up. :scratch:

dickallen15
09-18-2010, 10:37 AM
You're shocked?

SephClone89
09-18-2010, 10:38 AM
You're shocked?

Since he's usually quite respectful of baseball tradition and White Sox legends, yes.

dickallen15
09-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm really sad that I didn't get an opportunity to see Nancy this season. She will definitely be missed!

Surprised by Ozzie comment though. I wonder if he's always felt this way?

I read it and I'm not signed up. :scratch:

Oney has bashed Nancy all season. I'm sure he got it from his dad. I really don't see why Ozzie would feel compelled to say that. I guess some people just can't keep their mouths shut.

LongLiveFisk
09-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Why do Ozzie and Oney have such an issue with Nancy? I guess they prefer loud music throughout the ballpark rather than the traditional organist.

Bump34
09-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Almost sounds like he is talking about himself... fun early... wears you out as the season goes on...

DumpJerry
09-18-2010, 11:03 AM
I take the comment by Ozzie with a grain of salt, it looks like it was taken out of context. To bolster this, the writer has a factual error: it said she was inspired to play "Na Na Goodbye," implying she came up with the idea. She started playing it because the song was embedded in South Side culture in the 70's because it was being played in south suburban high school gyms whenever an opposing team's player fouled out of a basketball game. Nancy picked up on it to incorporate local culture into the MLB which represented the South Side.

soxfanreggie
09-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Ozzie can take the rest of the season off for all I care. Nancy is pure class and has been a valued member of the Sox family a lot longer than he has. When Ozzie leaves, I doubt it will be on as good of terms as Nancy.

GoGoCrede
09-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Why do Ozzie and Oney have such an issue with Nancy? I guess they prefer loud music throughout the ballpark rather than the traditional organist.

I remember Oney tweeting that Nancy is "out of touch" or something, and that she doesn't really get the crowd pumped up.

I can't read the article either. Can someone tell me what Ozzie said? Boy, do I hope it was taken out of context, because - :angry:

DumpJerry
09-18-2010, 11:21 AM
I had no trouble pulling up the article. I'm on a new computer with no New York Times cookies, so I don't know why some can and some can't get it.

GoGoCrede
09-18-2010, 11:23 AM
I had no trouble pulling up the article. I'm on a new computer with no New York Times cookies, so I don't know why some can and some can't get it.

Never mind, I Googled it. You stay classy, Ozzie. For me, there's nothing better than baseball on a warm summer day and hearing Nancy's music in the background.

Hitmen77
09-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Agreed.

....and I'm getting tired of the "Ozzie being Ozzie" excuse.

Brian26
09-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Par for the course. Dude needs to be shown the door.

Craig Grebeck
09-18-2010, 11:41 AM
I take the comment by Ozzie with a grain of salt, it looks like it was taken out of context.
...what?

Brian26
09-18-2010, 11:41 AM
I take the comment by Ozzie with a grain of salt, it looks like it was taken out of context. To bolster this, the writer has a factual error: it said she was inspired to play "Na Na Goodbye," implying she came up with the idea. She started playing it because the song was embedded in South Side culture in the 70's because it was being played in south suburban high school gyms whenever an opposing team's player fouled out of a basketball game. Nancy picked up on it to incorporate local culture into the MLB which represented the South Side.

That's a cool story. Never heard the real origin. I've always seen her credited with coming up with the idea on her own.

SI1020
09-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Agreed.

....and I'm getting tired of the "Ozzie being Ozzie" excuse. I'm just tired of Ozzie.

DickAllen72
09-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm just tired of Ozzie.
Ozzie was fun for the first couple of years but now his act has gotten old. He and Oney are classless.

Noneck
09-18-2010, 12:32 PM
In order to appreciate Nancy one has to know songs (old and new) and know the words and meanings behind the song. I think that is way too complicated for Ozwaldo and his son.

skobabe8
09-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Oney has bashed Nancy all season. I'm sure he got it from his dad. I really don't see why Ozzie would feel compelled to say that. I guess some people just can't keep their mouths shut.

I assume you are taking Oney's quotes from Twitter? What the **** is he talking about?? Does he really need music to get the crowd "pumped up"? And people say the fans are meatheads. The managers son seems to be the biggest offender.

I typically defend Ozzie, but this really annoys me. I hope they ask me why I am cancelling my season tickets this year.

MARTINMVP
09-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Ozzie was fun for the first couple of years but now his act has gotten old. He and Oney are classless.

Another example of why Ozzie is a classless idiot. For all the talk of him being possibly removed, I would welcome it except for that fact that I have absolutely zero faith in Jerry when it comes to approving Kenny's managerial wish list.

Red Barchetta
09-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I remember Oney tweeting that Nancy is "out of touch" or something, and that she doesn't really get the crowd pumped up.

I can't read the article either. Can someone tell me what Ozzie said? Boy, do I hope it was taken out of context, because - :angry:

Basically, Ozzie mentioned that there was no organ music where he played growing up and although it's fun at the beginning of the season, the organ music gets old by mid-season in comparison to the vuvuzela. Or something like that.

I mean really, the woman is retiring after 41 years with the White Sox. Couldn't he say something nice (even if he didn't mean it). :mad:

I predict one more season with Ozzie and then he's off to Miami to GM the Marlins and bring a face to their new ballpark/organization in 2012.

soxfanreggie
09-18-2010, 12:55 PM
I predict one more season with Ozzie and then he's off to Miami to GM the Marlins and bring a face to their new ballpark/organization in 2012.

Ozzie as GM - that would be a nightmare IMO. Generally, shouldn't GMs have better control of their mouths? I couldn't imagine Ozzie negotiating contracts either.

Fenway
09-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Na Na Goodbye can be traced back to April of 1970 at Game 4 of the Stanley Cup semi-finals at Boston Garden between the Bruins and Hawks.

The Bruins took the first 3 games (2 in Chicago) and everybody knew closing out the Hawks meant the Stanley Cup for the first time since 1941.

Boston DJ the late Bud Bullou on WMEX focused on the Steam song which was just then being popular and asked people going to the game to chant Na Na Hey Hey if it seemed certain the Bruins would win Game 4 on national TV.

Indeed the second balcony bums started it and the entire Garden started to shake. It just took off nationally from there.

I remember Opening Day of 1978 when the White Sox came back to beat Boston and it was a blown save that would come back to bite the Red Sox 161 games later.

Thanks Bill Veeck for trading BFD to NY :(

tstrike2000
09-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Yes, it would be a nice change of pace, very nice.

Red Barchetta
09-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Ozzie as GM - that would be a nightmare IMO. Generally, shouldn't GMs have better control of their mouths? I couldn't imagine Ozzie negotiating contracts either.

He's already mentioned that as his goal, so I believe he will try to make it happen. What better fit than his home town of Miami?

DirtySox
09-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Wow Ozzie. What a dick comment. **** off.

TommyGavinFloyd
09-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Ozzie is 100 percent right. I was a fan of Nancy just playing day games because it made the organ an out of the way relic. When you hear it every game, it gets extremely annoying. I don't go to games to be hear music, be it Lady GaGa or Nancy Faust, and it's too bad they are trying to find a new organist.

Brian26
09-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Ozzie is 100 percent right. I was a fan of Nancy just playing day games because it made the organ an out of the way relic. When you hear it every game, it gets extremely annoying. I don't go to games to be hear music, be it Lady GaGa or Nancy Faust, and it's too bad they are trying to find a new organist.

:rolleyes:

You want to know what annoys me? Bad ****ing baseball. Perhaps Ozzie should worry about that.

MarySwiss
09-18-2010, 08:37 PM

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. But believe it or not, there are people still living who grew up listening to Nancy. IMO, she was--and is--an integral part of the White Sox game experience. Then again, I don't agree that the organ is an "out of the way relic."

SI1020
09-18-2010, 09:01 PM
I just love that loud moronic canned crap they play at sporting venues these days. It's such an improvement over those out of the way relics.

tacosalbarojas
09-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Huge fan of Nancy; will miss her terribly...she's literally been a part of my entire White Sox fandom experience, but I think the quote by Ozzie isn't really that bad. And FYI, I heard him in the postgame press conference today being asked about Nancy by Toni Ginnetti and he was effusive in his praise of Nancy as a White Sox legend. I suggest those of you bashing Ozzie take a listen to his comments from today's post game before you damn him completely on this one.

DumpJerry
09-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I take the comment by Ozzie with a grain of salt, it looks like it was taken out of context.

...what?

A statement taken out of context is one where the writer does not include the entire statement and the surrounding circumstances of the statement. This results in the statement being interpreted in ways that might not be close to what the speaker intended.

The Ozzie comment in the article contains a partial quote followed by a paraphrase. Most of the time this is the sign of a statement being published out of context thereby changing the meaning the speaker intended. If Ozzie really did diss Nancy as the implication intends, then the reporter would have given the entire statement including the statement or question Ozzie is responding to. If the reporter has an agenda, s/he will report the statement as it is in this article.

Does this answer your query?

That's a cool story. Never heard the real origin. I've always seen her credited with coming up with the idea on her own.
She deserves the credit since it was her idea to use at Sox games. I've read the story in several places. I think one of the places was in either Phil Rogers' or Richard Roeper's book which came out in the wake of the World Series.

TornLabrum
09-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Anybody catch this classic Faustian bit of esoterica today when Brandon Inge came up to bat? She played the Hollies' "Bus Stop."

For those of you who don't get it (which includes the group I was with), the play "Bus Stop" was written by William Inge. I laughed my head off, but that's because I'm probably an out of the way relic.

DumpJerry
09-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Anybody catch this classic Faustian bit of esoterica today when Brandon Inge came up to bat? She played the Hollies' "Bus Stop."

For those of you who don't get it (which includes the group I was with), the play "Bus Stop" was written by William Inge. I laughed my head off, but that's because I'm probably an out of the way relic.
My friend who was with me at the game caught it.

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Pretty classless from Ozzie.Yes, yes it was. I was very disappointed. They're doing a tribute because she's retiring, and he has to say something like that?

Ozzie is 100 percent right. No, he's 100% in agreement with you; that's not the same thing as 100% right.

For those of you who don't get it (which includes the group I was with), the play "Bus Stop" was written by William Inge. I laughed my head off, but that's because I'm probably an out of the way relic.That's way too esoteric for me. How many people would make the triple connection of the song to the play to the author?

TornLabrum
09-19-2010, 12:29 AM
That's way too esoteric for me. How many people would make the triple connection of the song to the play to the author?

Nancy Faust does, and that's what makes her a treasure.

doublem23
09-19-2010, 01:11 AM

You want to know what annoys me? Bad ****ing baseball. Perhaps Ozzie should worry about that.

Seriously. They could play white noise over the PA at 200 decibels the whole game and I'd find a way to cope with it for a good team. The last three games I've been to have been an 8-2 loss, an 8-5 loss, and a 9-2 loss.

Ozzie can shove his comment up his ass.

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2010, 01:14 AM
They could play white noise over the PA at 200 decibels...That would be preferable to some of the canned music they play at pretty much that volume. :geezer:

doublem23
09-19-2010, 01:17 AM
That would be preferable to some of the canned music they play at pretty much that volume. :geezer:

:tiphat:

SoxandtheCityTee
09-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Nancy Faust does, and that's what makes her a treasure.

Exactly.

Craig Grebeck
09-19-2010, 08:38 AM
A statement taken out of context is one where the writer does not include the entire statement and the surrounding circumstances of the statement. This results in the statement being interpreted in ways that might not be close to what the speaker intended.

The Ozzie comment in the article contains a partial quote followed by a paraphrase. Most of the time this is the sign of a statement being published out of context thereby changing the meaning the speaker intended. If Ozzie really did diss Nancy as the implication intends, then the reporter would have given the entire statement including the statement or question Ozzie is responding to. If the reporter has an agenda, s/he will report the statement as it is in this article.

That's not true at all.

Hitmen77
09-19-2010, 09:47 AM

You do realize that they wouldn't replace the organ music with silence, right? Any less organ music would go to even more of the louder DJ music.

Your comment is not consistent. First you say you don't want to hear any music, but then you say that you liked her being at day games only ....because you like the night games where you hear even more of the louder DJ music?:scratch:

+1 on the eyeroll!

Seriously. They could play white noise over the PA at 200 decibels the whole game and I'd find a way to cope with it for a good team. The last three games I've been to have been an 8-2 loss, an 8-5 loss, and a 9-2 loss.

Ozzie can shove his comment up his ass.

:clap:

LITTLE NELL
09-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Nancy will be missed dearly, Ozzie won't, I have had enough of him.

harwar
09-19-2010, 10:55 AM
The first time i heard that annoyingly loud music at a baseball game was in Montreal i believe .. i had to leave because it was ruining the game for me .. like many other things over the years, i've adjusted to it somewhat .. i miss a lot of things about the game that have changed over the five decades that i have been a fan .. Nancy Faust will be another one ..

russ99
09-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Wow, Can't believe Ozzie would say that.

He did play here, and should be aware of things like team tradition, and how much worse that DJ nonsense is than an organist.

I wonder what his reaction to the guys planning to do soccer-style chants is going to be... :wink:

dickallen15
09-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Nancy was unique to the White Sox. The canned music is the same no matter what stadium you go to.

GoGoCrede
09-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Nancy will be missed dearly, Ozzie won't, I have had enough of him.

This is my feeling as well.

I'm happy that the Sox aren't getting rid of the organ music altogether, and are interviewing people for the position. That's a good thing, at least.

TDog
09-19-2010, 05:53 PM

I was at the park in 1970, Nancy Faust's first year playing there, and she played it even then. The song was released in 1969 and was being played on the radio well into 1970. With its hook, I'm sure everyone was playing it in the early '70s in relation to sports.

In 1977, though, when White Sox fans started bringing attention to it by singing along in packed ballparks, the record company re-issued the original Steam single with a picture sleeve with the White Sox logo. Steam, which had been a studio group that I believe had never performed live, was more or less re-united to play the song before a Friday or Saturday night game in old Comiskey late that season.

I went to a Sox game on my 13th birthday in Nancy Faust's first year with the team. (The Sox lost to the Tigers 4-3 with Ed Herrmann grounding out to the pitcher with the bases loaded to end it.) Nancy Faust pretty much provided the soundtrack for my teen years.

skobabe8
09-19-2010, 06:24 PM

Yuck.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye was first used in high school sports during the basketball season of 1969-70, the winter after the song was a hit. I went to every game, home and away, that my south side high school played.

Its initial use was narrow, only at the end of the game and when the home team won. Essentially you were singing off the opposing team and fans as they shuffled out of your place. I am almost sure that in our area, this originated at Chicago Vocational. What I can say for sure is that it spread quickly.

It also broadened very quickly, to use when the game was over by implication: the star player on the visiting team fouled out, or your team ran up a big lead and the other team took a time out, etc. Pretty soon every player who fouled out got the song. And visiting fans started using it when their team won -- a way of saying "We beat you in YOUR house."

Baseball season arrived in spring of 1970 and there isn't as much of a crowd, or cheering, at those high school outdoor games in the cold. But when football arrived in fall 1970, the song was in use at Gately, Eckersall, and suburban fields. All through 1970-71 it was used; we played a lot of games in the suburbs (northern/northwestern burbs too) and we sang it there.

I didn't get to many Sox games in 1970 because of my summer job. In 1971, though, I worked better hours and we went to a bunch of games. I heard the song sung by the young fans before I recall Nancy playing it, but I can't recall on my own exactly when it became a regular feature. She picks things up very quickly, though.

BainesHOF
09-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Ozzie's comment about Nancy's music disgusts me.

October26
09-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Ozzie's comment about Nancy's music disgusts me.

And me. I am so disappointed in Ozzie, as I have been one of his most avid supporters. Ozzie's ignorance and sarcasm really came through as he showed no respect for Nancy or White Sox traditions. Pathetic.

Thank you, Nancy Faust, for 41 years of service to the White sox. My entire family appreciated the wonderful way that you played the organ - especially during games at Old Comiskey Park where sometimes you were the only highlight of going to the game; you will be greatly missed.

ewokpelts
09-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Pretty classless from Ozzie.what do you expect from the future manager of the marlins?

soltrain21
09-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Go away, Guillen family. Nancy is a treasure.

Law11
09-20-2010, 10:19 AM
I was out there Sat and folks gave her some nice ovations in between innings as they played a montage of her and they isolated the camera on her playing in the booth during the game.. The line at her booth was easy 50 deep for an autograph.

Got to meet her and told her been going to the games since 1975 so shes been a part of my baseball experience my entire life as a Sox fan and she'll be missed.

Ozzie just go away...No body wants to hear u anymore.. Youre like annoying background noise.. wait kinda like a vuvuzela.

Hitmen77
09-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Here's the box score from Nancy's first game in 1970:
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=197004070CHA
Tommy John was the starting pitcher with Aparicio at SS and Melton at 3B. Future HOFers Killebrew and Carew were in the lineup for the Twins.

This was 3 days before Paul McCartney announced he was leaving the Beatles and 4 days before these guys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_13) were launched on their ill-fated mission to the moon.

Who were the White Sox announcers in 1970? This was before Harry Caray. This was also before the Sox switched to the red pinstriped uniforms. Who was the Sox organist before Nancy Faust? I don't think I've ever heard who it was.

Here's a nice article about Nancy from back in April:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=paulas/100402_nancy_faust_chicago_white_sox_organist&sportCat=mlb

wilburaga
09-20-2010, 01:22 PM
That was one sorrowful baseball team, that 70's squad. Probably our worst ever. 56-106, 42 games out. Thankfully, I had just started college and had 'other priorities' to distract me.

Craig Grebeck
09-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm still amazed at the blindfolded defense of Ozzie. "Out of context!"

Huh? Paraphrasing someone's statement is Journalism 101, folks.

Fenway
09-20-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm still amazed at the blindfolded defense of Ozzie. "Out of context!"

Huh? Paraphrasing someone's statement is Journalism 101, folks.

Ozzie compared THIS

http://www.northpark.edu/~/media/Images/News/March%202010/faust%20at%20organ.ashx?mw=730

to THIS

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/02c6ab8042c3efa58eedcf8e137be291/608horn.jpg?MOD=AJPERES

How was he taken out of contex????

SI1020
09-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Tommy John was the starting pitcher with Aparicio at SS and Melton at 3B. Future HOFers Killebrew and Carew were in the lineup for the Twins.

This was 3 days before Paul McCartney announced he was leaving the Beatles and 4 days before these guys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_13) were launched on their ill-fated mission to the moon.

Who were the White Sox announcers in 1970? This was before Harry Caray. This was also before the Sox switched to the red pinstriped uniforms. Who was the Sox organist before Nancy Faust? I don't think I've ever heard who it was.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=paulas/100402_nancy_faust_chicago_white_sox_organist&sportCat=mlb Bob Elson and Red Rush did the radio broadcasts in that awful season of 1970. It was the last year for "the commander" Bob Elson who started doing Sox games on the radio in 1929. His is the first voice I remember listening to on the radio doing baseball PBP.

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Bob Elson and Red Rush did the radio broadcasts in that awful season of 1970. It was the last year for "the commander" Bob Elson who started doing Sox games on the radio in 1929. His is the first voice I remember listening to on the radio doing baseball PBP.I can still smell the hot plastic from the tube radio I listened to the games on when I was supposed to be asleep.

Ex-Chicagoan
09-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Never mind context... Ozzie's comments are a great example of irony.

downstairs
09-20-2010, 02:22 PM
I guess its inevitable that the Sox will go with canned music like everyone else.

However, baseball is one of those sports where old-timey stuff can still exist.

tebman
09-20-2010, 03:07 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=paulas/100402_nancy_faust_chicago_white_sox_organist&sportCat=mlb

It's interesting too that Bill Melton was on the team at Nancy's first game. Somewhere (I can't find it on the web) there's a picture from one of the Chicago papers' Sunday magazines from 1970 or 1971 that shows Nancy posing with Bill Melton and Wilbur Wood. It's a posed picture and they're clearly having fun with it, and it fascinates me that 40 years later Nancy and Bill are still with the Sox organization.

We've been very lucky and I appreciate that.

soltrain21
09-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Never mind context... Ozzie's comments are a great example of irony.

He did describe himself to a T, didn't he?

cards press box
09-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Bob Elson and Red Rush did the radio broadcasts in that awful season of 1970. It was the last year for "the commander" Bob Elson who started doing Sox games on the radio in 1929. His is the first voice I remember listening to on the radio doing baseball PBP.

Red Rush! Just hearing that name makes me think of his schtick during basketball games: swisheroo for two! And who could forget all the times he would plug good, good Gonnella bread!

And the Commander. He had been through a lot ups and downs with the Sox over the years: as a second division club in the '30's, the Sox struggled to shake the 1919 stigma; by the '50's, Elson was the voice of the Go Go Sox and was at the mike for the fine Sox clubs of the '60's. His style might seem dated today but when he described a play on the bases, you could see the runner sliding home on a close play. The Commander was great.

TDog
09-20-2010, 08:56 PM
It's interesting too that Bill Melton was on the team at Nancy's first game. Somewhere (I can't find it on the web) there's a picture from one of the Chicago papers' Sunday magazines from 1970 or 1971 that shows Nancy posing with Bill Melton and Wilbur Wood. It's a posed picture and they're clearly having fun with it, and it fascinates me that 40 years later Nancy and Bill are still with the Sox organization.

We've been very lucky and I appreciate that.

That was in the Chicago Tribune Sunday Magazine in the summer of 1972. That was a great summer where they ended up short to the dynasty A's.

Medford Bobby
09-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Red Rush! Just hearing that name makes me think of his schtick during basketball games: swisheroo for two! And who could forget all the times he would plug good, good Gonnella bread!

And the Commander. He had been through a lot ups and downs with the Sox over the years: as a second division club in the '30's, the Sox struggled to shake the 1919 stigma; by the '50's, Elson was the voice of the Go Go Sox and was at the mike for the fine Sox clubs of the '60's. His style might seem dated today but when he described a play on the bases, you could see the runner sliding home on a close play. The Commander was great.

My Dad always like the way Bob ended the season with something like "with that fly out so ends another White Sox season"....:scratch:

ode to veeck
09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
http://wxrt.radio.com/2010/09/21/nancy-faust-most-valuable-player/

nice YouTube links as well at the bottom of Terri's nice article on Nancy

TommyJohn
09-24-2010, 07:58 PM
From a 1970 program.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/C:\Documents and Settings\Susan\My Documents\My Pictures\img431-2.JPG

Hitmen77
09-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Wow! Great find!

Interesting resume they listed for Nancy in that program.

Brian26
09-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Wow! Great find!

Interesting resume they listed for Nancy in that program.

It's interesting to see how it was acceptable in 1970 to describe Nancy as "Pretty Nancy Faust" in the first sentence. Even though it was a compliment and meant with good intentions, people would probably complain about that being inappropriate in today's world.

Hitmen77
09-27-2010, 03:25 PM
It's interesting to see how it was acceptable in 1970 to describe Nancy as "Pretty Nancy Faust" in the first sentence. Even though it was a compliment and meant with good intentions, people would probably complain about that being inappropriate in today's world.

Good point. I guess 1970 was a long time ago. If Nancy's successor lasts 41 seasons as Sox organist, he/she will be on the job until 2051.:o: (that would be assuming that the job even lasts that long).

I also noted that the old program refers to the ballpark as "White Sox Park". This was during the time when the Allyn ownership removed the Comiskey Park name. The name brought back by Bill Veeck in 1976 when he bought the team.

AZChiSoxFan
09-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Nancy was unique to the White Sox. The canned music is the same no matter what stadium you go to.

Ding ding! We have a winner!