PDA

View Full Version : Tony LaRussa

SOXFAN82
09-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Where do you think Tony will end up next season? I think he will get another one or two year deal with the cards.

DumpJerry
09-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Director of Sales for BALCO.

nccwsfan
09-18-2010, 11:58 AM
IMO no way he stays with St. Louis- seems like it's time for a change there. In the event that Ozzie doesn't return to the CWS I do not want Larussa here, but J. Reinsdorf is a loyal guy and could make a run for him.

soxfanreggie
09-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I agree that it could be a 1 or 2 year deal. I don't see him getting a raise, but he would probably still pull down $4.25 million or so. If the Cards don't want him, he will have plenty of opportunities if he wants to.

Noneck
09-18-2010, 04:40 PM
IMO no way he stays with St. Louis- seems like it's time for a change there. In the event that Ozzie doesn't return to the CWS I do not want Larussa here, but J. Reinsdorf is a loyal guy and could make a run for him.

He has never paid big money for a manager and rarely hired one with experience, I dont see that changing.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Noneck:

I don't think it's going to happen either but just FYI, according to Dave Nightengale then with The Sporting News in a story published in November 1997 (print edition) Reinsdorf and LaRussa met at a Chicago eatery and agreed to a multiyear, multimillion dollar deal for him to return as manager.

Duncan was also getting a multiyear, multimillion dollar deal.

It got torpedoed (according to the story) when Schueler threatened to resign because LaRussa was going to have significant input of the roster and he wanted vets not kids which ran contrary to what Ron wanted to do.

Reinsdorf decided Schu was more important and the deal fell through.

Lip

doublem23
09-18-2010, 08:20 PM
**** Tony LaRussa

WhiteSox5187
09-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Noneck:

I don't think it's going to happen either but just FYI, according to Dave Nightengale then with The Sporting News in a story published in November 1997 (print edition) Reinsdorf and LaRussa met at a Chicago eatery and agreed to a multiyear, multimillion dollar deal for him to return as manager.

It got torpedoed (according to the story) when Schueler threatened to resign because LaRussa was going to have significant input of the roster and he wanted vets not kids which ran contrary to what Ron wanted to do.

Lip

Ugh. More mismanagement by Jerry, but in '97 Tony was in his second year as Cardinals manager and he took that job (according to "3 Nights in August") because he loved the way the Cardinals young pitching looked, plus he was close (or at least familiar with) Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty. I remember reading in that White Sox Encyclopedia that the White Sox did offer Jim Leyland an offer to manage the Sox going into the 1997 season, he took the Marlins instead and so the Sox kept Bevington. It will never cease to amaze me that Terry Bevington was in charge of a team that was expected to contend.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Sox:

You are correct in that Reinsdorf went to see Leyland and offered him the job. Jimmy refused because he felt the Sox treated his longtime friend Gene Lamont unfairly when they fired him.

Lip

Brewski
09-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Noneck:

Lip

Don't confuse us with facts. This changes nothing.