PDA

View Full Version : Sox catching dilemma

thomas35forever
09-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Okay, regardless on how you feel about AJ, I think we can all agree that he hasn't done as well this year as in years past. A lot of people have been calling for a changing of the guard behind home plate, but the question is who? Flowers has been terrible in AAA and obviously is not ready for the big leagues. If we're going to replace AJ, I don't see help coming through free agency. Martinez, Varitek and possibly Hernandez are the only names that really stand out to me. At this point, I think we'd be better off re-signing AJ to a 1-year deal with an option for 2012.

DirtySox
09-17-2010, 05:44 PM
I really dislike AJ, but I think he might be the best option on a 1 year deal as well. :(:

DickAllen72
09-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Okay, regardless on how you feel about AJ, I think we can all agree that he hasn't done as well this year as in years past. A lot of people have been calling for a changing of the guard behind home plate, but the question is who? Flowers has been terrible in AAA and obviously is not ready for the big leagues. If we're going to replace AJ, I don't see help coming through free agency. Martinez, Varitek and possibly Hernandez are the only names that really stand out to me. At this point, I think we'd be better off re-signing AJ to a 1-year deal with an option for 2012.
I agree with everything in your post.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Under the circumstances I think he does return, I don't know if Castro will be back...if not, Olivo (assuming Ozzie and he have made up) would be a solid back up in my opinion.

But catching is another issue the Sox are going to have to figure out a solution to along with a number of other positions in the near future.

Lip

dickallen15
09-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Under the circumstances I think he does return, I don't know if Castro will be back...if not, Olivo (assuming Ozzie and he have made up) would be a solid back up in my opinion.

But catching is another issue the Sox are going to have to figure out a solution to along with a number of other positions in the near future.

Lip
Castro has a $1.1 million team option. He's a lock to be back unless he really ticked someone off.

Frater Perdurabo
09-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Bring AJ back next year to be the primary catcher, but Castro needs to start more games.

Nelfox02
09-17-2010, 09:11 PM
yeah, I am saying bring him back

when last I looked he had the average up around .270 or so.........did not check RBI

he still handles the staff well enough.......

what about going after Victor Martinez as a DH option?

SI1020
09-17-2010, 09:26 PM
I agree with everything in your post. As do I.

Tragg
09-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Catching is a real weakness.
Unfortunately, it's a hard hole to fill, and the Sox have so many, that it's probably best to keep the incumbents and use the scarce resources to try to fix other problems.
But this team hit a wall on 9/1. Ozzie can't bring all of his pals back.

Frontman
09-17-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm of a mindset to bring AJ back; as the Sox know what they have with him. Flowers isn't getting it done; and Castro can't go everyday.

gogosox675
09-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Honestly, it doesn't sound like we have much of a choice on this one: AJ has to come back next year, for better or worse.

GoGoCrede
09-17-2010, 11:07 PM
I've always heard Castro specifically does not want to be a full-time catcher.

WhiteSox5187
09-17-2010, 11:10 PM
I think that AJ is by far the best option, plus, of late he's been hitting. He's hitting .300 since the All Star Break, so I have no problem with him getting a one year or even a two year deal. But it's clear that we need to get a catcher for the future on the farm soon because Tyler Flowers is NOT the guy for behind the plate.

Tragg
09-17-2010, 11:26 PM
I've always heard Castro specifically does not want to be a full-time catcher.
I take it he doesn't want a full time salary.
That's the kind of ballplayer we should have...one who doesn't want to play much.

soxtalker
09-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Would the Sox offer AJ arbitration? He is a type A free agent, so, assuming that another team would want to sign him, he's worth two high draft picks.

soxfanreggie
09-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Would the Sox offer AJ arbitration? He is a type A free agent, so, assuming that another team would want to sign him, he's worth two high draft picks.

That team would have to be real desperate for a catcher to give up two high picks for AJ. Sox could probably get him for a 1-yr deal to put a band-aid on the problem for one more season while we look at what to do.

Bobby Jenks
09-18-2010, 02:10 PM

No team is gonna give up 2 draft picks to sign AJ, it's just not gonna happen. Not even in his better years.

GAsoxfan
09-18-2010, 05:50 PM

IMO, the Sox should offer AJ arbitration if they can't get a deal done beforehand. If they want him back in 2011, I really don't see the downside to offering it, I don't see him getting much of a raise after the year he's had.

WhiteSox5187
09-18-2010, 05:58 PM
IMO, the Sox should offer AJ arbitration if they can't get a deal done beforehand. If they want him back in 2011, I really don't see the downside to offering it, I don't see him getting much of a raise after the year he's had.

The downside is that he can't come back at any less than 80% of his current contract (I think), with the year he has had plus the change in the free agent market since his last contract (in 2007 I think), he could come back for significantly less than 80% of his current contract. Paulie on the other hand I don't think is coming back for less than 80% of his contract so we might as well offer him arbitration.

Tragg
09-18-2010, 06:15 PM
I really don't see the downside to offering it, I don't see him getting much of a raise after the year he's had.
He needs a pay cut. That's the problem.

khan
09-18-2010, 06:26 PM
He needs a pay cut. That's the problem.

He also needs his playing time cut. His numbers vs. LHP are so craptacular that he'd REALLY have to have an outstanding effect on the pitching staff to justify him being in the lineup v. LHP. [And yes, I'm aware that CERA is a bad state.]

Go White Sox
09-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Ive always been a fan of Donny Lucy....hmmm?

hawkjt
09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
AJ/Castro should be retained. They are ending up decent offensively,and defensively they are adequate. We got bigger issues elsewhere,like in right field and bullpen.

KMcMahon817
09-20-2010, 02:52 PM
I take it he doesn't want a full time salary.
That's the kind of ballplayer we should have...one who doesn't want to play much.

I read somewhere that the Mets offered him a starting job out of spring training one year and he told them he would prefer to remain a backup.

But, who knows if that is true.