PDA

View Full Version : Winning 2011 Central secures Ozzie's 2012 option

A. Cavatica
09-17-2010, 06:21 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0917-bits-white-sox-twins-chic20100916,0,2243982.story

Kenny is quoted as saying "I hope like hell [Ozzie's guarantee] clicks in."

So, does he hope it clicks in because that would mean the Sox won the Central, or does he hope it clicks in because he wants Ozzie back?

Dear Lord, I hope he's not giving Ozzie a vote of confidence. If they don't fire Ozze after this year's embarrassment then there's nothing short of assassination that will get him gone. And I would feel bad with an "Assassinate Ozzie" tag.

hawkjt
09-17-2010, 07:26 AM
They need to give Ozzie an extension in the offseason and eliminate the drama before the pitchers and catchers report.
And I simply do not think the use of the term assassinate is ever appropriate,even in joking,but just my opinion.

Red Barchetta
09-17-2010, 08:44 AM
They need to give Ozzie an extension in the offseason and eliminate the drama before the pitchers and catchers report.
And I simply do not think the use of the term assassinate is ever appropriate,even in joking,but just my opinion.

I agree.

I understand the contractual situation with Ozzie and the loyalty JR/KW have, however, please as again witnessed during this series against Minnesota, that our offensive inability to drive in runs has got to be addressed. Even if it is not Greg Walker's fault, we need a change in direction. Please bring in a new batting coach next year. Make the change during the off-season and all the drama will be removed. We simply cannot afford the hot/cold approach in this division with the Twins being so consistently fundamentally better.

captain54
09-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Ozzie Guillen has not successfully figured out a way to mentally prepare his team to play their chief rivals...it has cost them more than one division title...The Twins seem very relaxed and confident against the Sox, and the Sox look frustrated and in need of a diaper change...this cannot continue.

If Ozzie can't figure this out....then I would say a change is definitely in order....

mrfourni
09-17-2010, 01:26 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0917-bits-white-sox-twins-chic20100916,0,2243982.story

So, does he hope it clicks in because that would mean the Sox won the Central, or does he hope it clicks in because he wants Ozzie back?

Dear Lord, I hope he's not giving Ozzie a vote of confidence. If they don't fire Ozze after this year's embarrassment then there's nothing short of assassination that will get him gone. And I would feel bad with an "Assassinate Ozzie" tag.

Isn't that article basically a guarantee that Ozzie will be back next year?

russ99
09-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Ozzie Guillen has not successfully figured out a way to mentally prepare his team to play their chief rivals...it has cost them more than one division title...The Twins seem very relaxed and confident against the Sox, and the Sox look frustrated and in need of a diaper change...this cannot continue.

If Ozzie can't figure this out....then I would say a change is definitely in order....

This is so overblown. The Twins sure do look relaxed and confident - they're the ones playing .700 baseball for 3 months, the ones with the 6 game lead, and the Sox have been playing catchup for weeks. Winning breeds confidence.

For the Sox, it's going to the well too many times in pressure situations with the season on the line, mounting injury issues and not producing when given many chances to do so. That will frustrate anyone, regardless how how "mentally prepared" you are.

captain54
09-17-2010, 01:59 PM
This is so overblown. The Twins sure do look relaxed and confident - they're the ones playing .700 baseball for 3 months, the ones with the 6 game lead, and the Sox have been playing catchup for weeks. Winning breeds confidence.

For the Sox, it's going to the well too many times in pressure situations with the season on the line, mounting injury issues and not producing when given many chances to do so. That will frustrate anyone, regardless how how "mentally prepared" you are.

This makes no sense....performing despite adversity is part of the game.....the Twins came from behind at some point in the season, had the pressure of the Sox on their heels for a while, didn't play well before the AS break, and have had injuries.

The Sox have not just LOST the season series to the Twins, they have been HUMILIATED....

SI1020
09-17-2010, 02:09 PM
This makes no sense....performing despite adversity is part of the game.....the Twins came from behind at some point in the season, had the pressure of the Sox on their heels for a while, didn't play well before the AS break, and have had injuries.

The Sox have not just LOST the season series to the Twins, they have been HUMILIATED.... Not even those great Yankee teams that made my childhood so miserable dominated the Sox as thoroughly as the Twins did this year. They beat them and beat them up in the most embarrassing ways possible.

khan
09-17-2010, 03:13 PM

I'd go even further:

His habit of falling all over himself to heap praise on the twins seems to have gotten to the players. His incessant whining and complaining about things that go against the SOX while playing the twins seem to have gotten into the players' heads. I don't know why this is, and I don't believe that it should be so, but this is what it appears to be.

Even an egomaniac who would live emotionally like Mike Ditka would properly teach his players to have a healthy degree of disdain for their division opposition. Ozzie seems to have taught his players to expect losses to minnesota. And in this season, the lessons have sunk in, unfortunately.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2010, 03:30 PM
The Sox now have had a significant trend since 2004 of playing worse in the 2nd half of the season (regardless of your definition of 'second half' i.e. exact split between games 1-81 and 82-162 or after the All Star Break).

They always seem to have fewer wins and a worse win percentage in the second half despite Ozzie rotating guys to keep them fresh. I'm very surprised the mainstream media hasn't made a bigger issue of this.

For whatever the reasons that a very troubling situation.

The Twins by contrast got red hot for months in the back half of 06, caught fire in September 09 and everyone has seen what they have been doing this year after the break.

Not automatically saying it's Ozzie's fault but the ball is somewhat in his court to explain and fix this situation.

There's an old saying, once is a fluke, twice a coincidence... three times? You've got a trend and it's not a good one.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
09-17-2010, 04:00 PM
The Sox have not just LOST the season series to the Twins, they have been HUMILIATED....

Only thing worse was the '01 season when the Sox went 3-15 against the Twinkies .
Somebody in the Sox organization has some 'splainin' to do as to why the Sox look
scared of the Twins series after series, IMO.

dickallen15
09-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Isn't that article basically a guarantee that Ozzie will be back next year?
I don't know but it really isn't very insightful at all. The Sox wouldn't fire Ozzie if he won the division a season earlier, so if they won the division next year, they wouldn't need contract language exercising the option. As Hawk would say, its academic.

chisox12
09-17-2010, 05:15 PM

What do you want Ozzie to do? These are grown men we're dealing with here. This isn't a bunch of children. Sure, managers need to motivate players to play hard but that can only go so far. If these players can't motivate themselves to play their biggest division rival, then I think that is more of a reflection on Kenny for assembling what appears to be a very mentally weak roster.

captain54
09-17-2010, 05:54 PM
What do you want Ozzie to do? These are grown men we're dealing with here. This isn't a bunch of children. Sure, managers need to motivate players to play hard but that can only go so far. If these players can't motivate themselves to play their biggest division rival, then I think that is more of a reflection on Kenny for assembling what appears to be a very mentally weak roster.

first off, he should keep his mouth shut about how great the Twins are and how much he loves the way they play the game.

if the manager doesn't have much bearing the mental status of his team, then have the batboy bring out the lineup card and prop up a mannequin in the dugout with a Sox uniform that says "manager" on the back.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Chisox 12:

The players themselves in the locker room can help solve the situation but they would need some vocal, emotional leaders and the Sox don't seem to have those on the roster.

Lip

DumpJerry
09-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Finishing over .500 when we were nine under more than a quarter of the way through the season is downright embarrassing.

:rolleyes:

dickallen15
09-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Finishing over .500 when we were nine under more than a quarter of the way through the season is downright embarrassing.

It was a feat Jerry Manuel was able to accomplish several times.

guillensdisciple
09-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Psychological issues can only be fixed through management. Someone needs to figure out how to solve the Twins Sox dilemma immediately.

kevingrt
09-18-2010, 12:59 PM

Completely agree with you. If JR already knows deep down in his heart that Ozzie is coming back barring disaster or unforeseen circumstances then sign him before Spring Training begins. The whole organization and fanbase doesn't need to deal with daily media speculation and BS left and right.

Craig Grebeck
09-18-2010, 01:03 PM
It's amazing how much Ozzie complains about how his team doesn't play like the Twins. It's as though he isn't, you know, in charge of his team.

A. Cavatica
09-18-2010, 01:23 PM
It's just amazing that anyone here wants to see Ozzie get an extension, or even to finish out his contract.

"Give me more of the same!"

Nelfox02
09-18-2010, 04:45 PM
It's just amazing that anyone here wants to see Ozzie get an extension, or even to finish out his contract.

"Give me more of the same!"

I m with you here

lets get some fresh blood, approaches, attitudes in here. no gaurantee it will make the situation better next year, but we know the current approach is failing. I guess you can make the same argument about Williams too

Domeshot17
09-18-2010, 05:10 PM
What bothers me is how mentally weak Ozzie is. The Twins, Gardenhire, they own him. No one here expected much different than what happened last series. The team just completely laid down, they didn't even put up a fight. We have been seeing this for years now against the Twins. The only time I really can think different is Danks pitching his ass off in the play in game.

guillensdisciple
09-18-2010, 05:21 PM
The Sox now have had a significant trend since 2004 of playing worse in the 2nd half of the season (regardless of your definition of 'second half' i.e. exact split between games 1-81 and 82-162 or after the All Star Break).

They always seem to have fewer wins and a worse win percentage in the second half despite Ozzie rotating guys to keep them fresh. I'm very surprised the mainstream media hasn't made a bigger issue of this.

For whatever the reasons that a very troubling situation.

The Twins by contrast got red hot for months in the back half of 06, caught fire in September 09 and everyone has seen what they have been doing this year after the break.

Not automatically saying it's Ozzie's fault but the ball is somewhat in his court to explain and fix this situation.

There's an old saying, once is a fluke, twice a coincidence... three times? You've got a trend and it's not a good one.

Lip

I believe there is something off with the conditioning of this team. The bullpen and starting pitching flounders deep into the season. Mind you, that's with Ozzie holding them to some of the least innings pitched in the majors.

The pitchers don't have a leader, neither do the hitters. Everyone is the silent type in the clubhouse. It could be both.

WhiteSox5187
09-18-2010, 05:28 PM
I believe there is something off with the conditioning of this team. The bullpen and starting pitching flounders deep into the season. Mind you, that's with Ozzie holding them to some of the least innings pitched in the majors.

The pitchers don't have a leader, neither do the hitters. Everyone is the silent type in the clubhouse. It could be both.

I would have been curious to see how the pitching would have been different if Peavy were around, Peavy strikes me as a vocal leader and I think that at the very least the Sox tendency to get hit without retaliation wouldn't have happened. After Paulie got it in the face I think that someone on the Twins wouldn't have just gotten in the numbers, but they would have hit the dirt. As for the hitters, not sure who would do that. Beckham might in a bit.

Dub25
09-18-2010, 10:53 PM

I have not read the rest of the posts yet but you seem to be giving KW a free pass. He is the one that gave Ozzie another KC reject with a fresh extention in Teahen. Ozzie also still has to use Linebrink who given 4 years from KW. He was given a washed up Andruw Jones. And for those that want Thome, the Sox are better this year and have scored more runs. The only reason why Thome is playing this much for the Twins is because Morneau has been out since the all star break.

Dub25
09-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I agree.

I understand the contractual situation with Ozzie and the loyalty JR/KW have, however, please as again witnessed during this series against Minnesota, that our offensive inability to drive in runs has got to be addressed. Even if it is not Greg Walker's fault, we need a change in direction. Please bring in a new batting coach next year. Make the change during the off-season and all the drama will be removed. We simply cannot afford the hot/cold approach in this division with the Twins being so consistently fundamentally better.

I agree that Walker should be gone as well but again, the players that don't come thru are thanks to KW.

Dub25
09-18-2010, 10:56 PM

Now, as much as I have defended Oz in my last 2 posts, I do agree with this. Too much butt kissing for the Twins but it doesn't mean he should be fired.

Dub25
09-18-2010, 11:01 PM
People here are complaining about Ozzie being mentally weak even though he can do only so much to motivate. As one poster said, these guys are pros and should find it within themselves. I'm sure I will get blasted but has anyone thought that maybe the King that everyone looks up to in the clubhouse that is a "silent" leader may be an issue??? He is the one that is willing to tip his cap to an unknown pitcher with a 6+ ERA that the Sox have never seen but the rest of the league has no problem hitting.

mcsoxfan
09-19-2010, 03:05 AM
I can't believe these posts.
Let's bring Ozzie back next year so we can go through this same crap again.

A. Cavatica
09-19-2010, 06:44 AM
I have not read the rest of the posts yet but you seem to be giving KW a free pass. He is the one that gave Ozzie another KC reject with a fresh extention in Teahen. Ozzie also still has to use Linebrink who given 4 years from KW. He was given a washed up Andruw Jones. And for those that want Thome, the Sox are better this year and have scored more runs. The only reason why Thome is playing this much for the Twins is because Morneau has been out since the all star break.

First things first.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-19-2010, 09:20 AM

I'm tired of both KW and Ozzie. I hope neither is back next year. The team needs a fresh start and different approach.

Rocky Soprano
09-19-2010, 11:49 AM

Woo hoo lets celebrate mediocre results! :bandance: