PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9/16 "Sigh..." Postgame thread

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-16-2010, 11:44 PM
So...at least Morel was good?

It's over for 2010, at least...we don't have to worry about the Twins headhunting anymore.

Thanks for at least trying to give out a little payback, MB.

Rikirk
09-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Way to play that Minnesota series gang...
Absolutely bloody brilliant.

cleanwsox
09-16-2010, 11:47 PM
26 runs in 3 games with our top 3 starters going.

:thud:

It's a shame they can't even win one game in September against these guys.

Chisox353014
09-16-2010, 11:51 PM
26 runs in 3 games with our top 3 starters going.

:thud:

It's a shame they can't even win one game in September against these guys.

It's safe to say the pitching approach this series was not particularly good. Mauer looks like he knows every pitch before its thrown. How many absolute meatballs did we serve up the last 3 nights?

Tragg
09-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Good thing that of all the players to pinch hit for, the braintrust in the dugout made sure that it was for the one hitter who NEEDS the at bats and who was having a good night.
And another overall sad performance. Ozzie's stable of overpaid declining veterans has had enough. But Oz has a happy, comfortable clubhouse and that's what it's all about.
It's time for a change.

SoxSpeed22
Copy and paste what I wrote yesterday.

Soxman219
Will we ever beat the twins again?

beasly213
The Twins are kicking the **** out of every team. Its no surprise they did it to the Sox. It sucks but this Twins team is damn good.

tstrike2000
09-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Well, at least they showed some fight tonight instead of the gutless, don't give a crap performances they gave the first 2 games.

tstrike2000
09-16-2010, 11:58 PM
The Twins are kicking the **** out of every team. Its no surprise they did it to the Sox. It sucks but this Twins team is damn good.

Yeah, the defense is solid, bullpen has been good for them, but call me a little crazy because I look at their lineup and I really don't think they're that good. I still think the Sox have a better team overall, but that's just me I guess.

beasly213
09-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Yeah, the defense is solid, bullpen has been good for them, but call me a little crazy because I look at their lineup and I really don't think they're that good. I still think the Sox have a better team overall, but that's just me I guess.

The AL Central standings say you're wrong.

VMSNS
09-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Watching Paulie get intentionally hit in the face by Pavano was probably the most anger I've ever felt as a Sox fan. I'm glad MB hit Cuddyer right after that, but the Twins deserve much more after playing dirty against us all season. If it were me, I would have told Mark to hit Mauer right in the face, just like Pavano did to Paulie.

As far as the actual game goes....well, the Twins execute and string together hits a produce big innings. The Sox just flail around with the bat, and when someone actually manages to get on, they just try to hit a homerun. Meanwhile, your manager is pulling out our young stud 3rd baseman (who had just hit a double, as well as drew a walk) for a pinch hitter in Mark Teahen, whilst leaving in Carlos Quentin in RBI situations in late innings after he's looked like complete dog**** the whole series.

Also, Farmer on the broadcast was vehemently upset, proclaiming that Jesse Crain was obviously balking on every pitch thrown to 1st. Hopefully the officials will call that crap once the Twins head to their death march in the playoffs.

The season is over. Shut down Quentin, Jenks, Beckham, Putz, and Thornton. Make Sale the closer for the rest of the year, play Morel at 3B everyday, and if Omar wants a break, play Lillabeast at 2B. Let Flowers catch a few games a week, and see what we have in De Aza. Hopefully, we can get to 85+ wins.

Rikirk
Settling for medeocrity may suffice for the other side of town,...but the freakin philosophy about winning baseball has to change here...and soon.
We have to get the Twins mental block out of our collective heads.

chisoxfanatic
Oh, well...It's not like this game mattered...Just get them next year. I think the tragic number is in the single digits now. If there's 1 thing I hope for, it's that the Twins won't celebrate on their field clinching the division.

soltrain21
09-17-2010, 12:00 AM
So...at least Morel was good?

It's over for 2010, at least...we don't have to worry about the Twins headhunting anymore.

Thanks for at least trying to give out a little payback, MB.

Until he got pulled for Teahen in a very stupid move.

sox1970
09-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Oh, well...It's not like this game mattered...Just get them next year. I think the tragic number is in the single digits now. If there's 1 thing I hope for, it's that the Twins won't celebrate on their field clinching the division.

The Twins magic number is 8. Hopefully they clinch in a Detroit hotel at midnight watching the Sox lose in Anaheim a week from Saturday. I don't want them to clinch on the field.

doublem23
09-17-2010, 12:10 AM
That was probably the least interested I've ever been at a Sox game. After Paulie got drilled, I was hoping for some brawl action, but even that was too much to ask for.

Coolest part of the night was that I missed Delmon Young's HR by literally 2 seats. Actually, the guy that caught it was sitting in my seat (a friend of my brother's), but we didn't swap. He was sitting next to a guy in a Twins jacket, so everyone assumed he was a Twins fan, too, and when he didn't throw it back (he's not a Sox fan either, he just wanted to keep the ball), he was getting pelted with garbage.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12131209

At :11 seconds on this video is (from L-R) my brother, the guy who caught the ball, and their friend from college who is a native of Minnesota.

JB98
09-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Buehrle pitched poorly, but at least he stuck up for Konerko.

Pavano hit Paul in the face intentionally. Typical Twins move. Shame on the Sox for allowing it to get to that point. They should have stood up to the Twins and taken care of this issue a long, long time ago.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-17-2010, 12:15 AM
That was probably the least interested I've ever been at a Sox game. After Paulie got drilled, I was hoping for some brawl action, but even that was too much to ask for.

Coolest part of the night was that I missed Delmon Young's HR by literally 2 seats. Actually, the guy that caught it was sitting in my seat (a friend of my brother's), but we didn't swap. He was sitting next to a guy in a Twins jacket, so everyone assumed he was a Twins fan, too, and when he didn't throw it back (he's not a Sox fan either, he just wanted to keep the ball), he was getting pelted with garbage.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12131209

At :11 seconds on this video is (from L-R) my brother, the guy who caught the ball, and their friend from college who is a native of Minnesota.

So where were you when the HR was hit?

doublem23
09-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Buehrle pitched poorly, but at least he stuck up for Konerko.

Pavano hit Paul in the face intentionally. Typical Twins move. Shame on the Sox for allowing it to get to that point. They should have stood up to the Twins and taken care of this issue a long, long time ago.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12136217

I'm not sure about that. Watching Pavano's arm action, that ball really seems like it sailed on him. I'm not saying he wasn't trying to bust Paul inside, or that he wasn't trying to hit him, but the face? I don't know about that.

doublem23
09-17-2010, 12:18 AM
So where were you when the HR was hit?

3 seats down, the guy who caught the ball was in seat 11, I was in seat 8. I guess that's 3 seats. Me good at math not.

You can sort of see me for a brief moment at :07, I'm off to the left side of the screen in a grey hooded sweatshirt. I knew that ball would be close, but I could tell early on it wasn't going to land within an arm's reach of me, so I just kind of watched it.

When they bring it back, the camera is too tight my buddy's celebration.

StillMissOzzie
09-17-2010, 12:18 AM

The results would beg to differ with you, both for this series and the season series. The Twinkies owned our boys this year in pretty much every way possible.

SMO
:angry:

JB98
09-17-2010, 12:20 AM

I'm not sure about that. Watching Pavano's arm action, that ball really seems like it sailed on him. I'm not saying he wasn't trying to bust Paul inside, or that he wasn't trying to hit him, but the face? I don't know about that.

Pavano isn't that wild. He has very few walks this year. He knows where the ball is going. He's not getting the benefit of the doubt from me, especially after I've watched the Twins drill Sox hitters every single time these two teams play.

I'm tired of this ****, game after game, year after year.

doublem23
09-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Pavano isn't that wild. He has very few walks this year. He knows where the ball is going. He's not getting the benefit of the doubt from me, especially after I've watched the Twins drill Sox hitters every single time these two teams play.

Oh, I don't disagree that Pavano was, at least, trying to knock Paul on his butt, I just don't know about the face. I've watched that pitch about 10 times now, the way it comes out of his hand just looks funny. Like he let it go about .1 of a second too early and it sailed a few feet on him.

He's still a punk bitch. Would not have minded seeing someone charge out of the dugout and whoop the **** out of him.

JB98
09-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Oh, I don't disagree that Pavano was, at least, trying to knock Paul on his butt, I just don't know about the face. I've watched that pitch about 10 times now, the way it comes out of his hand just looks funny. Like he let it go about .1 of a second too early and it sailed a few feet on him.

He's still a punk bitch. Would not have minded seeing someone charge out of the dugout and whoop the **** out of him.

I would have been just as irate if the ball had hit Konerko on the shoulder or in the back. I feel it was intentional, and I'm pissed. In that way, I guess it really doesn't matter where the ball hit Paulie.

WhiteSox5187
09-17-2010, 12:29 AM

I thought for a second Paulie was going to go after him but Herm held him back. He might have been heading to first.

DickAllen72
09-17-2010, 12:39 AM

I tend to agree with you.

And even if he didn't want to hit Paulie specifically in the face, I don't think he really cared that he did. I've been saying for a while now that Gardenhire (and probably a lot of other managers now) tell their pitchers to go ahead and throw way inside to Sox hitters and don't worry about hitting them because if you do they never retaliate. And if you hit them multiple times in one game, the umpire will issue a warning to both sides before they get around to doing anything about it.

A lot of this stems from years past when Ozzie used to run his mouth in the press about retaliation instead of just keeping his big mouth shut about it and have his pitchers take care of business then just say "it slipped" when asked about it. Instead he got the reputation of being a headhunter and got the umps to keep a closer watch on his pitchers even though in reality they rarely hit opposing batters.

Regardless of that, Gardenhire and the Twins are dirty. They take cheap shots like the one Young took to AJ's face and then high five each other in the dugout even though the play cost them a run and resulted in an out. They intentionally "draw first blood" when it comes to hitting batters (at least against the Sox) knowing that the umps will protect their hitters by issuing warnings.

Ozzie should have made sure Young and Mauer got it and got it good tonight. Maybe it would have stopped this BS for next year.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Once again the Twins show the White Sox the way the game is supposed to be played on offense, defense, pitching and intimidation.

JB is exactly correct...it should have been taken care of years ago.

Ozzie talks big then doesn't do ****. And the Sox players take some responsibility as well. What Mark did should have been done years ago too.

I have a strong feeling that if the Sox had a manager like Al Lopez or Eddie Stanky or if they had players with guts like a Jim Landis, Larry Doby, Dave Philley, Fisk or McDowell this entire situation would have been handled in a very different manner.

The White Sox are a mentally weak team and have been the past few years particularly when it comes to the Twins.

The results speak for themselves.

Just win three damn games, have a winning season to salvage some dignity and close the door on this friggin' season.

Lip

captain54
09-17-2010, 12:44 AM

Twins just played the mighty Indians recently and went scoreless for 20 innings

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2010, 12:46 AM
I thought for a second Paulie was going to go after him but Herm held him back. He might have been heading to first.Herm was trying to pull him to the dugout to take him out of the game, and Paulie was refusing to come out of the game.

And for those who are interested, Blyleven praised Buehrle for protecting his teammate and drilling Cuddeyer. He even said he was a little surprised they didn't wait to get Mauer, best player for best player, but then said that since Mauer might not come up for a couple of innings, it was best to send the message right away.

GoGoCrede
09-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Lulz. Can't beat the fun at the ol' ballpark. Met up with DumpJerry and we had fun basking in the suckitude of tonight's game. Some annoying Twins fan couple on their honeymoon kept standing up at literally every break in action holding up a sign, trying to get on the jumbotron. They never did. It was super funny. All the Sox fans in the section gave them some not-so-friendly ribbing.

Oh, well. I'm one game closer to 30 games attended. And it was fun seeing Morel get that double.

And thank God Buehrle retaliated, finally.

D'Sphitz
09-17-2010, 01:04 AM

Of course Pavano didn't try to hit Konerko in the face, that's completely ridiculous and I can't believe the number of people here who insist otherwise. That along with the general consensus that Mauer deserves a career ending fastball to the teeth just boggle my mind, I've never in my life thought "man I hope the pitcher beans this guy in the face here", I just don't get it.

doublem23
09-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Of course Pavano didn't try to hit Konerko in the face, that's completely ridiculous and I can't believe the number of people here who insist otherwise. That along with the general consensus that Mauer deserves a career ending fastball to the teeth just boggle my mind, I've never in my life thought "man I hope the pitcher beans this guy in the face here", I just don't get it.

To be fair, in the heat of the moment, I wouldn't have minded if Buehrle put one right between Mauer's eyeballs.

He ain't pretty no more!

DickAllen72
09-17-2010, 01:11 AM
I'm convinced the Twins felt that this being the final game of the season against the Sox that they may have to face some retaliation for the drillings and the cheap shot to AJ from earlier in the year. So they determined that if they hit a Sox batter first, warnings would be issued if the Sox attempted to retaliate.

I don't know if Pavano wanted to hit Paulie in the face, but he definitely wanted to throw at Paulie and send a message. Again, I think Gardenhire's attitude is throw at the Sox and don't worry if they get hit or not because either way it works to their advantage. The only way to stop that is to make it hurt for the Twins.

D'Sphitz
09-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Some annoying Twins fan couple on their honeymoon kept standing up at literally every break in action holding up a sign, trying to get on the jumbotron.

I bet they were courting Blyleven with "we're idiots, so circle me Bert" signs .

GoGoCrede
09-17-2010, 01:14 AM
I bet they were courting Blyleven with "we're idiots, so circle me Bert" signs .

It was something like that, actually. It had their names on it, Bert's name, and something like, "We're following the Twins on our honeymoon."

I liked it when some heckler yelled, "Should have gone to Cabo!" Some people said some nasty things. But I was so ticked off at that point and they were like jack-in-the-boxes getting up every few seconds with their sign, so I didn't care.

D'Sphitz
09-17-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm convinced the Twins felt that this being the final game of the season against the Sox that they may have to face some retaliation for the drillings and the cheap shot to AJ from earlier in the year. So they determined that if they hit a Sox batter first, warnings would be issued if the Sox attempted to retaliate.

I don't know if Pavano wanted to hit Paulie in the face, but he definitely wanted to throw at Paulie and send a message. Again, I think Gardenhire's attitude is throw at the Sox and don't worry if they get hit or not because either way it works to their advantage. The only way to stop that is to make it hurt for the Twins.
Nobody other than Pavano really knows if he was trying to hit Konerko, or just throw one tight inside, or perhaps it just got away from him. I just think it's ridiculous to think that Pavano or any pitcher would intend to hit someone in the face.

Soxman219
09-17-2010, 01:42 AM

WOW:angry::angry::angry::angry:

ARE WE EVER GOING TO DO ANYTHING TO THESE GUYS?

GoGoCrede
09-17-2010, 01:52 AM
I love Carl. (http://www.smellslikemascot.com/2010/09/near-reaper.html)

BadBobbyJenks
09-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Don't worry, after we sweep the twins we are right back in this, lol.

Irishsox1
09-17-2010, 02:30 AM
Did the Sox ever hit Delmon Young after punching AJ in the face?

MarySwiss
09-17-2010, 02:36 AM
I tend to agree with you.

And even if he didn't want to hit Paulie specifically in the face, I don't think he really cared that he did. I've been saying for a while now that Gardenhire (and probably a lot of other managers now) tell their pitchers to go ahead and throw way inside to Sox hitters and don't worry about hitting them because if you do they never retaliate. And if you hit them multiple times in one game, the umpire will issue a warning to both sides before they get around to doing anything about it.

A lot of this stems from years past when Ozzie used to run his mouth in the press about retaliation instead of just keeping his big mouth shut about it and have his pitchers take care of business then just say "it slipped" when asked about it. Instead he got the reputation of being a headhunter and got the umps to keep a closer watch on his pitchers even though in reality they rarely hit opposing batters.

Regardless of that, Gardenhire and the Twins are dirty. They take cheap shots like the one Young took to AJ's face and then high five each other in the dugout even though the play cost them a run and resulted in an out. They intentionally "draw first blood" when it comes to hitting batters (at least against the Sox) knowing that the umps will protect their hitters by issuing warnings.

Ozzie should have made sure Young and Mauer got it and got it good tonight. Maybe it would have stopped this BS for next year.
This. I get so damn sick of hearing all this bull**** about how the "Twins play baseball right." They are a bunch of punkass jagoffs, and the Sox should have made them pay a long time ago.

hawkjt
09-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Another tough nite to be at the ballpark but we managed to still enjoy it...even in losing to the stinking twins, the ballpark is the best place on earth to be.

Sox have been hit 73 times,a league high. Sox have hit only 31 hitters,a league low. Hmmmmm.....
I will say, it does seem like every time we did hit someone this year, they scored.
I love MB but I was a bit disturbed by his comments last nite when he said he was told to do something and he did it to the best of his ability.
Why on gods green earth do the Sox have to be the most honest,truthful team in MLB when asked about stuff like this?
MB and the whole staff should be sat down and be given a refresher course on how to handle these things.
1. When a Delmon Young goes out of the baseline to try to coldcock your catcher, he gets hit the next time up.
2. As a rule, you pitch inside early and often,and do not let them get comfortable. If you happen to drill someone,pitch over it,and take the warning.
3. When your guys get hit, the next time you have them with two outs and no one on base, you drill them.
4. When you are asked about it after the game,you have a two word response...''it slipped''....end of story. next question.

I like Coop, but I am a bit pissed that he has not driven home this message years ago...and Ozzie also.

Another game of missed opportunities,and the Twins having some lucky bounces(get out with grounders hitting the bases).

Despite it all, we still enjoyed being at the park,and will be back for the last series of the year vs the tribe for a couple.

kufram
09-17-2010, 08:33 AM

It is hard to conceive the beanball attitude for me also. Paul Konerko showed the way to respond... like a professional. You don't charge the mound like a lunatic, you don't show anything, you stay in the game... and then you just go out and homer off the same guy the next time. AJ handled the Delman Young thing exactly right. THAT is what I want my team to be about. That is a player to be proud of.

I know it has been a year for disappointment. But calling players names and slagging them off because they don't perform at their best all of the time tells me more about people doing the name-calling than it does about the players. If MB and PK don't want to play the retaliation game there is a professional reason why... get it?

I like to win championships as much as anyone, but I know how hard it is to do also. It isn't fantasy baseball. You don't just pick the players with the right numbers and then automatically win the WS. The Twins haven't beaten us this year because we are afraid of them or because they are in our heads. They've outplayed us and I see no shame in that. And I'm proud to have PK and MB on my team win or lose.

No one but Pavano knows if he really threw at PK's head. I doubt it, but it is a real good argument for pitchers having to stand in the batter's box like the guys they pitch to.

Red Barchetta
09-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Basically, the SOX were a good team between the Stanley Cup Championship and the All-Star break. Before the Stanley Cup, they underachieved and after the All-Star break they have been a .500 average team.

Minnesota simply out played them overall (might end up with best record in MLB), within the division and head-to-head. I'm glad the SOX made it interesting as I thought the season was over by the end of May, however JR, KW, Ozzie and the rest of the SOX brass need to take a long, hard look at the organization and try to figure out why, as the only major market team in the Central division, they can't figure out a way to beat Minnesota on a regular basis. Prior to the Twins, it was Cleveland in the 90s. It's nice that the SOX scattered in four (including 94' strike year) division winners and one WS winner, however 85 wins won't cut it in this league.

ChiSoxGirl
09-17-2010, 08:42 AM

This was the first I saw of the hit by pitch and maybe it's because I'm tired and it's so early, but I felt like bursting into tears when that ball hit Paulie and he dropped to the ground. My heart broke when Konerko was hit, and then the anger set in. HOW DARE those rat bastards hit our captain? And what's more, HOW DARE we not drill Mauer in his pretty boy, punk ass face?! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I mean, I'm glad Buehrls came out in the next half inning and drilled Cuddyer, but a guy like their precious Baby Jesus needs to take a pitch somewhere that could cause significant damage. If that ball that hit Paulie plunks him an inch or two in a different direction, we could be talking about him having a broken nose, broken jaw, or possibly missing some teeth. What Pornstache Pavano did was intentional and I'm sick of this ****.

I thought the fact that Paulie remained in the game showed an enormous amount of courage and dedication to his team. The best was when he took the Pornstache deep a few innings later. When that ball sailed out of the ballpark, I yelled, "Take that, Pornstache bitch!" at my radio.

WOW:angry::angry::angry::angry:

ARE WE EVER GOING TO DO ANYTHING TO THESE GUYS?

We need to. I've had enough of this crap!!!! If we all feel this way, I'm puzzled as to how the Sox players don't. :scratch:

This. I get so damn sick of hearing all this bull**** about how the "Twins play baseball right." They are a bunch of punkass jagoffs, and the Sox should have made them pay a long time ago.

This. A thousand times over.

tstrike2000
09-17-2010, 08:57 AM
The AL Central standings say you're wrong.

Regardless of record or how hot the Twins are, I'm not bowing down to them like a lot of other people do. I truly believe the Sox have the better team, they just obviously didn't show it. I'm tired of hearing year after year the Twins do everything right and buttkissing Gardenhose, the organization, the scouting, the farm system, etc. The Sox should be dominiating, but instead lose to garbage teams and in crucial series play with no passion or sense of urgency. At least Buehrle hit Cuddyer after watching the team captain get hit in the face, but that needed to be done months ago.

Chez
09-17-2010, 09:41 AM

Ok. Since you asked for it, "you're a little crazy!" The Sox had a nice season and exceeded many people's expectations (including mine), but the better team won last night and is going to win the division. Unfortunately, it really is just that simple. The Twins are better. I kind of hate myself for saying it, but it's true.

That's one of the things that I love about the regular season. Over 162 games, the better team usually comes out on top.

jdm2662
09-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Regardless of record or how hot the Twins are, I'm not bowing down to them like a lot of other people do. I truly believe the Sox have the better team, they just obviously didn't show it. I'm tired of hearing year after year the Twins do everything right and buttkissing Gardenhose, the organization, the scouting, the farm system, etc. The Sox should be dominiating, but instead lose to garbage teams and in crucial series play with no passion or sense of urgency. At least Buehrle hit Cuddyer after watching the team captain get hit in the face, but that needed to be done months ago.

You can dislike the Twins for being whinning punks, but to say they are not better than the Sox this year, well, I don't know what to tell you. The Twins are 42-16 since the all-star break and are currently just a game behind the Rays for best record in baseball. The Twins have kicked the rest of the division around while the Sox are under .500 against the division. The Sox are a pretty good team, but the Twins are just better. It's not about bowing down to anyone. It's just facing reality. It's up the Sox to figure out how to get better next season.

Red Barchetta
09-17-2010, 10:31 AM
This was the first I saw of the hit by pitch and maybe it's because I'm tired and it's so early, but I felt like bursting into tears when that ball hit Paulie and he dropped to the ground. My heart broke when Konerko was hit, and then the anger set in. HOW DARE those rat bastards hit our captain? And what's more, HOW DARE we not drill Mauer in his pretty boy, punk ass face?! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I mean, I'm glad Buehrls came out in the next half inning and drilled Cuddyer, but a guy like their precious Baby Jesus needs to take a pitch somewhere that could cause significant damage. If that ball that hit Paulie plunks him an inch or two in a different direction, we could be talking about him having a broken nose, broken jaw, or possibly missing some teeth. What Pornstache Pavano did was intentional and I'm sick of this ****.

I thought the fact that Paulie remained in the game showed an enormous amount of courage and dedication to his team. The best was when he took the Pornstache deep a few innings later. When that ball sailed out of the ballpark, I yelled, "Take that, Pornstache bitch!" at my radio.

We need to. I've had enough of this crap!!!! If we all feel this way, I'm puzzled as to how the Sox players don't. :scratch:

This. A thousand times over.

I agree. Paulie clearly had a fat upper lip after being hit. I love how Paulie refused to be taken out of the game even after Herm tried pulling him out of the game physically. Paulie shook his head and pulled back. I'm sure the fat fastball down the middle of the plate he got his next time up was some sort of weak retribution by Minnesota, however Mauer should have gotten buzzed as well.

TheOldRoman
09-17-2010, 10:39 AM
To be fair, in the heat of the moment, I wouldn't have minded if Buehrle put one right between Mauer's eyeballs.

He ain't pretty no more!Aside from the epic laydown the Sox did in this series, I am also dissapointed they continued to let the Twins intimidate them. Young getting through the season series with the Sox unblemished is inexcusable. Even when Danks hit him the other night it was unintentional. I would have liked to have seen them drill Mauer instead, but Young should have either been drilled in the ribs twice or helmet once. When you hit someone in the ****ing face, and it is part of a trend of intimidation, payback has to be painful.

slavko
09-17-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a strong feeling that if the Sox had a manager like Al Lopez or Eddie Stanky or if they had players with guts like a Jim Landis, Larry Doby, Dave Philley, Fisk or McDowell this entire situation would have been handled in a very different manner.
Lip Man 1

Not a lot going on the last 50 years, eh?

And to those of you who can read minds, it must be a terrible burden to live with.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Did the Sox ever hit Delmon Young after punching AJ in the face?
Why would the Sox punch AJ in the face before hitting Young? Makes no sense. :tongue:

Lip Man 1
09-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Slavko:

Seriously I'm not sure the point you were making. I'll hazard a guess.

My point is that a team shouldn't have to be told when to take care of things for a teammate and because in my opinion this is a mentally weak club in a lot of areas, some very strong personalities are needed in the clubhouse to keep things headed in the right direction.

Konerko, Buehrle, Thome, Dye...all class individuals, all very good players...all very quiet types.

Nothing wrong with that but you need a mix in that clubhouse in my opinion.

The Sox have ZERO in the other direction and they need some badly, in my opinion.

Regarding mind reading, you don't need to have it if you actually saw men like Lopez and Stanky manage or if you saw the "red asses" the players I mentioned were.

Things would never have gotten to this point if they were on the current club. The Twins wouldn't be getting away with the **** they are pulling off simple as that.

If you are talking about Pavano, it doesn't matter if he threw at him deliberately or not. After the Hunter/Burke and Young/A.J. incidents there is CLEARLY a pattern going on here, one of intimidation, one of throwing inside because the Sox won't retaliate in kind or be proactive in this regard. That point to me is irrelevent.

In the slang of today, the Sox neewd to stop being the Twins bitch and show some stones.

Lip

tstrike2000
09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Fine, I'll concede. I never said the Twins aren't a very good baseball team, it's more my Sox fan sentiment that the Sox had all the tools to take this division despite how hot the Twins have been the last 8 weeks. To go 5-12 or whatever it is is ridiculous against the Twins. We go 12-5 or even a little worse, it's a different story. It was just my belief that the Sox have more talent but talent alone obviously doesn't win championships. The bigger issue too is not letting your main competition come in and make complete fools of you in your own ballpark. Ok, I'm done letting off steam on the issue.

PaleHoser
09-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Slavko:

My point is that a team shouldn't have to be told when to take care of things for a teammate and because in my opinion this is a mentally weak club in a lot of areas, some very strong personalities are needed in the clubhouse to keep things headed in the right direction.

Konerko, Buehrle, Thome, Dye...all class individuals, all very good players...all very quiet types.

The Sox have ZERO in the other direction and they need some badly, in my opinion.

Regarding mind reading, you don't need to have it if you actually saw men like Lopez and Stanky manage or if you saw the "red asses" the players I mentioned were.

From what I've seen of Jake Peavy he has that type of personality. I think he adds more to the mix than wins and losses, and I don't think it's coincidence that once he went down we cooled off.

ChiSoxGirl
09-17-2010, 12:36 PM
I agree. Paulie clearly had a fat upper lip after being hit. I love how Paulie refused to be taken out of the game even after Herm tried pulling him out of the game physically. Paulie shook his head and pulled back. I'm sure the fat fastball down the middle of the plate he got his next time up was some sort of weak retribution by Minnesota, however Mauer should have gotten buzzed as well.

That was awesome. What Konerko did with said fat fastball spoke lounder than any "**** you" he or any of his teammates would've yelled at Pornstache Pavano, Baby Jesus, or any of the other Twins I hate with every fiber of my being.

slavko
09-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Lip:
The mind reading was everybody here speculating on what Pavano was thinking when he "let one get away from him."

If we wanted redasses we should have kept Nick Swisher. That type gets more credit than they deserve. Is Gardy a redass manager in your opinion? This train of thought sounds like Mike North analyzing sports, not us.

Finally re Buehrle. So he tipped us that Ozzie gave him the word to retaliate. My opinion is that he would have done it anyway. He has in the past. Like when he did it and got tossed to break his streak of 5 inning starts.

We should be talking more about 26 runs in 3 games against our 3 "aces."

Unless you prefer the "Lose the Game, Win the Fight" line of thinking.

VMSNS
09-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Slavko:

Seriously I'm not sure the point you were making. I'll hazard a guess.

Things would never have gotten to this point if they were on the current club. The Twins wouldn't be getting away with the **** they are pulling off simple as that.

If you are talking about Pavano, it doesn't matter if he threw at him deliberately or not. After the Hunter/Burke and Young/A.J. incidents there is CLEARLY a pattern going on here, one of intimidation, one of throwing inside because the Sox won't retaliate in kind or be proactive in this regard. That point to me is irrelevent.

In the slang of today, the Sox neewd to stop being the Twins bitch and show some stones.

Lip

I think Beckham is that guy. However, he probably has to watch what he says and who he says it to because he's a rookie.

I agree, though. The Sox definitely need some more outward and competitive personalities on the team.

hi im skot
09-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I think Beckham is that guy. However, he probably has to watch what he says and who he says it to because he's a rookie.

I think your time machine is broken.

SoxSpeed22
09-17-2010, 12:54 PM
I do agree that Beckham is that type of guy to lead a team. Problem is that he hasn't really done enough in the Majors to earn his place. This is his first full year and he still has ways to go.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Soxspeed:

Some of my contact in the front office agree with you, they think this will be Beckham's team eventually.

Lip

downstairs
09-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Woo Hoo! No one expected a sweep, and we got one!

Uhhhh.... hold on... wrong team. Never mind.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Slavko:

You can lose the game but eventually win the war. Just my opinion but I don't think it's overrated at all. Talk to any of the Sox who played with Fisk for example, I have...all of them say the same things about him and his ability to demand they play the game correctly, I'll go so far as to say some guys were intimidated by him so much they wouldn't dare slack off and he was their teammate...now think what he did to opponents.

Guys who'll call out a teammate even if that means going to the media, show a willingness to play hard (not dirty) and call to account a team losing games to stiffs is NEVER overrated.

We'll just have to disagree.

Lip

white sox bill
09-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Woo Hoo! No one expected a sweep, and we got one!

Uhhhh.... hold on... wrong team. Never mind.
Kinda what I was going to say.......a lot of folks here just a few days ago were predicting sweep. Be careful what you wish for