PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski on Kenny

thegooch
09-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Great article from one of my favorite writers.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/09/16/a-football-man-in-a-baseball-world/

spawn
09-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Fire him!!!

captain54
09-16-2010, 03:35 PM
I think Williams hands are often tied by the financial constraints of Reinsdorf... most GM's are, with the exception of the Yankees.

I think it takes an awfully clever GM to make the most, of the money you are given...Williams, despite all that bravado and risk taking, I don't believe is quite up to that task.

spawn
09-16-2010, 03:40 PM
I think Williams hands are often tied by the financial constraints of Reinsdorf... most GM's are, with the exception of the Yankees.

I think it takes an awfully clever GM to make the most, of the money you are given...Williams, despite all that bravado and risk taking, I don't believe is quite up to that task.

Which is why he has more World Series wins than the Brilliant Billy Beane.:rolleyes:

KMcMahon817
09-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Thank you, that was an awesome read. I for one, love KW and the way he runs this team and I hope he is around for many, many seasons to come.

MisterB
09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
This article illustrates why I can only roll my eyes when some folks around here bitch about Kenny "not trying" to go after players or improve the team.

24thStFan
09-16-2010, 04:15 PM
"The White Sox got a lot better this year with a late rush they still could win 90 games after finishing below .500 in 2009 but Kenny Williams will take little solace in that."

No doubt KW improved the team this year. He had me believing into September. With a healthy Peavey and just one more move (in the bullpen) who knows?!

slavko
09-16-2010, 05:57 PM
This article illustrates why I can only roll my eyes when some folks around here bitch about Kenny "not trying" to go after players or improve the team.

I'd like to see us develop some players instead of exclusively "going after" someone else's players because we don't nurture talent or waste it and watch as some other team nurtures it. I don't like our business model.

TDog
09-16-2010, 07:55 PM
I'd like to see us develop some players instead of exclusively "going after" someone else's players because we don't nurture talent or waste it and watch as some other team nurtures it. I don't like our business model.

In a way, it isn't much different from the Yankees business model of a few years ago, with smaller resources. The Yankees weren't developing their own talent. They were paying far too much for middle relief. The Yankees have improved since developing more of their own talent (although trading Austin Jackson for Curtis Granderson seems to run counter to that).

In a sense, not only building a winner but maintaining a winner requires more than developing your own talent, which can take awhile. Developing talent is easier for losing teams, who get better draft picks and can give younger players more opportunities to play. When baseball had a reserve clause and instituted a draft in 1965, the A's were able to develop a dynasty after some lean years. The end of the reserve close broke that team up. The White Sox used some bad seasons in the 1980s to build one of baseball's best teams in the 1990s. The Rays used the draft to build a winning team, but they won't be able to maintain that level because they won't be able to afford to keep all of their talent.

But it isn't just a business model question. Even teams that concentrate on developing their own talent and high draft picks year after year are more likely to continue to lose.

One thing that comes out in the interview (and in just about any interview chance meeting with him) is that Kenny Williams is a very smart man. A strong man. A man of integrity.

A lot of teams are run by weasels.

captain54
09-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Which is why he has more World Series wins than the Brilliant Billy Beane.:rolleyes:

which is why the Sox can't dominate the Central like the Twins can, with less financial resources..

SoxandtheCityTee
09-16-2010, 11:19 PM
I thought the most interesting part of the article was his statement that he'd leave the Sox if offered the Oakland Raiders job.

Domeshot17
09-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Nothing in there new. The biggest reason I don't want to see Kenny replaced is he sees it how it should be seen. You either win and make the playoffs or you don't. I don't like some of his moves (Nick Swisher set this team back 2 years), but he knows we have made the playoffs once in 5 years. 2nd place is nothing more than a moral victory, which counts for nothing in life.

mcsoxfan
09-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Thank you, that was an awesome read. I for one, love KW and the way he runs this team and I hope he is around for many, many seasons to come.

See, everyone, Kenny does post here....

doublem23
09-17-2010, 12:28 AM
See, everyone, Kenny does post here....

Dude, it's possible to disagree with someone's point of view without being insulting and demeaning.