PDA

View Full Version : deja vu

chisox59
09-15-2010, 03:28 PM
I sometimes I feel like I'm living the 1950's all over again but instead of being beaten out by the Yankees every year it's now the Twins. The difference in the two eras is that the Twins don't leave you awestruck like Mantle, Berra and company did but they still win more often than they lose. I'm starting to have the same feelings of contempt for the Twins that I had for the Yankees so many years ago.

Madvora
09-15-2010, 03:35 PM
The Yankees have the tendency to win it all.

LITTLE NELL
09-15-2010, 04:04 PM
I sometimes I feel like I'm living the 1950's all over again but instead of being beaten out by the Yankees every year it's now the Twins. The difference in the two eras is that the Twins don't leave you awestruck like Mantle, Berra and company did but they still win more often than they lose. I'm starting to have the same feelings of contempt for the Twins that I had for the Yankees so many years ago.

The frustrating thing is that the Twins can't compare with those great Yankee teams from the 50s and early 60s.
It seems that on paper we should beat out these guys all the time but for some reason we don't.
At least we have 2005.

Dan H
09-15-2010, 04:37 PM

I had the same feelings of deja vu. I remember the great Sox teams of the early '60's and how they just couldn't get past the Yanks. But these Sox clubs don't compare to the '60's teams.

I don't have contempt for the Twins. It's time the White Sox figure out how to get over this hump. The Twins are good but they are not the Yankees of the past or even the present. At this writing, the Sox have lost three out of the last four at home and none of the scores were close. If the organization isn't embarrassed, it ought to be. Now what are they going to do about it other than say we should be happy because the Sox contended into September?

jdm2662
09-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I had the same feelings of deja vu. I remember the great Sox teams of the early '60's and how they just couldn't get past the Yanks. But these Sox clubs don't compare to the '60's teams.

I don't have contempt for the Twins. It's time the White Sox figure out how to get over this hump. The Twins are good but they are not the Yankees of the past or even the present. At this writing, the Sox have lost three out of the last four at home and none of the scores were close. If the organization isn't embarrassed, it ought to be. Now what are they going to do about it other than say we should be happy because the Sox contended into September?

Currently, when it seemed no one would catch the Yankees or Rays, the Twins stand 1.5 games behind the Yankees and 1 game behind the Rays. This arguement about the Twins always being worse on paper, etc. might have worked in past seasons, but not this year. It's time to flat out admit the Twins are just a better team overall and move on. They are not fielding a lineup with the likes of Nick Punto, Jason Bartlet, Lew Ford, etc. you don't go 40-16 on the second half by just pure luck. The Sox really haven't been BAD at all. They are simply being out played. It happens.

cards press box
09-15-2010, 05:47 PM

I'm not ready to call the Twins the new Bronx Bombers just yet. The Yankees in the '50's and '60's won many pennants. Have the Twins in the Joe Mauer era even won a playoff series, let alone a pennant? Let's not forget that Ron Gardenhire's record in post-season is 6-24. 6-24! Casey Stengel and Ralph Houk did a lot better than that during the Mantle/Berra/Maris era.

pythons007
09-16-2010, 05:55 PM
The funny thing is when the Twins do make it to the playoffs, they get shelled.

MarySwiss
09-16-2010, 06:51 PM
To me, that's the big difference. And that's why although I hated the Yankees, I respected them. I don't respect the Twins. They're scum.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2010, 12:50 AM
To me, that's the big difference. And that's why although I hated the Yankees, I respected them. I don't respect the Twins. They're scum.Because the Yankees have always had more money than any other team, and the Twins have had to develop a system. Respect outspending everybody, developing a way to compete without the big money is scum. Interesting perspective.

MarySwiss
09-17-2010, 02:53 AM
Because the Yankees have always had more money than any other team, and the Twins have had to develop a system. Respect outspending everybody, developing a way to compete without the big money is scum. Interesting perspective.

Excuse me, but were the Yankees "outspending everybody" bigtime in the '50s? Before the Steinbrenner era? Were Mantle and Berra and company raking in the big bucks? All kinds of bonuses built into their contracts? All kinds of TV endorsements? And do you really think that the current Twins players come even close to the Yankees' teams of the '50s and '60s in ability? Do you really think that TODAY'S Yankees players come close?

Educate me, please.

chisox59
09-17-2010, 04:31 AM
I'm not ready to call the Twins the new Bronx Bombers just yet. The Yankees in the '50's and '60's won many pennants. Have the Twins in the Joe Mauer era even won a playoff series, let alone a pennant? Let's not forget that Ron Gardenhire's record in post-season is 6-24. 6-24! Casey Stengel and Ralph Houk did a lot better than that during the Mantle/Berra/Maris era.

My point was that in this decade, for the most part, we've been watching the Twins celebrate the Central Division title much like we watched the Yankees win the AL pennant in the 1950's. The Yankees were a superior team to the White Sox back then and I hated them for years. I used to always root for the NL team in the series....until 1963 when I wanted them to beat the Dodgers. Why the change? I hated the Dodgers for beating the Sox in the '59 series. Of course, in 1963, the Yanks were swept. Even when I rooted for them they found a way to irritate me!

doublem23
09-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Excuse me, but were the Yankees "outspending everybody" bigtime in the '50s? Before the Steinbrenner era? Were Mantle and Berra and company raking in the big bucks? All kinds of bonuses built into their contracts? All kinds of TV endorsements? And do you really think that the current Twins players come even close to the Yankees' teams of the '50s and '60s in ability? Do you really think that TODAY'S Yankees players come close?

Educate me, please.

Relative for their time period, yes.
Yes
No
Relative to their time, probably not, but if you put the 2010 Twins head-to-head with any 1950s Yankees team, the Twins would probably smoke them.
Yes, put the 2010 Yankees in any year in the 1950s, and they'd probably win 130 games.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2010, 11:29 AM

Educate me, please.

Relative for their time period, yes.
Yes
No
Relative to their time, probably not, but if you put the 2010 Twins head-to-head with any 1950s Yankees team, the Twins would probably smoke them.
Yes, put the 2010 Yankees in any year in the 1950s, and they'd probably win 130 games.

They've ALWAYS outspent everybody else. Hell, remember that Babe Ruth defended making more than the president by saying "I had a better year than he did"?

And the issue wasn't about who was more talented; you said you respected the Yankees and the Twins are scum. The Yankees win by spending more money than anyone else, the Twins win by instituting a system throughout their organization and sticking with it, building players from within. Their major league payroll is less than half that of the Yankees.

By the way, how'd you like the respectable way Jeter rolled around on the ground like a soccer player, pretending he got hit by a pitch the other night? Then smirking about it in the locker room afterward, where he admitted the ball didn't hit him. Very classy and respectable.