PDA

View Full Version : Cubs not the dream job for at least 1 managerial candidate

doublem23
09-15-2010, 01:07 AM
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/09/14/source-fredi-gonzalez-declines-chance-to-interview-for-cubs-job/

Fredi Gonzalez declines an invitation to interview for the open Cubs' spot.

g0g0
09-15-2010, 10:06 AM
He knew he didn't have a chance with Girardi and Ryno in the mix. :smile:

doublem23
09-15-2010, 10:27 AM

Do you actually think the Cubs' shot to get Girardi is better than 0%?

hi im skot
09-15-2010, 10:41 AM

http://cubssuckcafe.com/ItsGonnaHappen01.gif

g0g0
09-15-2010, 01:57 PM

No but stranger things HAVE happened. I really want Ryno myself. But that's me.

WhiteSox5187
09-15-2010, 04:31 PM
No but stranger things HAVE happened. I really want Ryno myself. But that's me.

It'll be interesting watching Cub fans chase Ryno out of town after three years or so on the job.

g0g0
09-15-2010, 04:33 PM
It'll be interesting watching Cub fans chase Ryno out of town after three years or so on the job.

You think we'll give him 3 years?? :tongue:

beasly213
09-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I doubt Sandburg gets the job. If he was in the running he would have been brought up this year as a try out to see how he did.

Also do you think any other team in baseball would hire him to be their manager?

WhiteSox5187
09-15-2010, 04:40 PM

That's about the average life span of a Cubs manager. I think there will be lots of hope the first year, grumblings the second and then full out revolt after three and a Hall of Famer will be chased away from Chicago. He will be put in a position where he can not hope to succeed as the Cubs have their hands tied in terms of payroll and he will be managing a very old and very bad team.

soxpride724
09-15-2010, 04:46 PM

I agree, why on earth would anyone leave NYY for CHC? I don't care if he grew up a cubs fan or not, he's winning in New York.

SOXSINCE'70
09-15-2010, 06:05 PM

He'll be lucky to get 3 months.:D:

slavko
09-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Take a look at that list of Cubs managers. Good, great baseball men. All suffered the same fate. Not a Bevo in the bunch, I guess. Local heroes, out-of-town greats, old ones, young ones, cheap ones, expensive ones.

Cavaretta, Grimm, Hack, Scheffing. Been a long time since a local hero was hired. Does that work for or against Ryno?

Memory tells me that Cavaretta told PK one spring that his team sucked and wound up fired and playing for the White Sox.

It will happen someday, right? Hope springs eternal.

g0g0
09-15-2010, 08:52 PM
It will happen someday, right? Hope springs eternal.

You have to keep the faith that your team will do it eventually. :praying:

LongLiveFisk
09-15-2010, 10:57 PM
I agree, why on earth would anyone leave NYY for CHC? I don't care if he grew up a cubs fan or not, he's winning in New York.

For the challenge.

Dub25
09-16-2010, 12:45 AM
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/09/14/source-fredi-gonzalez-declines-chance-to-interview-for-cubs-job/

Fredi Gonzalez declines an invitation to interview for the open Cubs' spot.

Smart move on his part. Bigger names like Pineela and Baker have been eaten alive. Why should he? He would be managing under an unfair microscope cuz everyone in this town wants the Cubs to win.

C-Dawg
09-16-2010, 08:06 AM

I also agree they probably won't hire Sandberg, but I gotta admit it would be funny to see him get thrown under the bus like his predecessors.

Reminds me of a conversation a co-worker had with a fan at Wrigley Field a couple years ago: "Its too bad about Dusty; his career as a player was so good that the Cubs probably would have retired his number but his managerial career was so bad it killed his chances..."

I guess this guy didn't realize Dusty was a long-time Dodger????

ewokpelts
09-16-2010, 08:38 AM
I agree, why on earth would anyone leave NYY for CHC? I don't care if he grew up a cubs fan or not, he's winning in New York.his contract is up, so anything's possible.

slavko
09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Do you think Darwin Barney knows anything about the evolution of dinosaurs? (Just because of your signature and because this is a Cubbie thread.)

SoxandtheCityTee
09-16-2010, 11:25 PM
I saw a clip on TV of Rickets pouting that "you lose three games in a row and they're talking about a 103-year curse." He was not smiling, either.

He is finding this out now? If the owner can't take it how can a manager?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-17-2010, 12:12 AM
I saw a clip on TV of Rickets pouting that "you lose three games in a row and they're talking about a 103-year curse." He was not smiling, either.

He is finding this out now? If the owner can't take it how can a manager?

Ricketts thought this was going to be his gravy train...he thought that he could take over the reins, and everyone would love him, since he was a "Cub fan".

Well, buddy, it's not that easy, is it? You have probably the most fickle, demanding fanbase in the National League. You don't turn the ship around fast, the fans are going to be all over you, justified or not.

WhiteSox5187
09-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Ricketts thought this was going to be his gravy train...he thought that he could take over the reins, and everyone would love him, since he was a "Cub fan".

Well, buddy, it's not that easy, is it? You have probably the most fickle, demanding fanbase in the National League. You don't turn the ship around fast, the fans are going to be all over you, justified or not.

All Ricketts has to do is keep Wrigley standing and the beer cold and lots of Cub fans will be satisfied.

VMSNS
09-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Peter Gammons was reporting on The Score this morning that he believes Eric Wedge will be the next Cub manager, with Mike Quade being a realistic choice as well.

Very surprising, to say the least.

soltrain21
09-17-2010, 09:50 AM
All Ricketts has to do is keep Wrigley standing and the beer cold and lots of Cub fans will be satisfied.

I don't know about that. It looks like that "2003" honeymoon might finally be over.

SOXPHILE
09-17-2010, 10:22 AM

No, you really don't. The DUMBEST fan base in ALL of sports, yes. But since 1984, Cubs fans and Cubs Game fans have shown to be anything but fickle and demanding. Yeah, the last few years, like 2006 and this year, when the Cubs have sucked to high heaven, there was talk of small groups of fans "boycotting" the team, and protesting. And yes, I've been hearing some boos the last few years. Big deal. The next sunny 80+ degree June afternoon in 2011, no matter how bad the Cubs are going to be, Wrigley will be filled to the brim with a high percentage of what we all make fun of around here -drunken chads, trixies and tourists, yelling WOOOO CUBBIES ! and scrambling to get their picture taken with Ronnie Woo Woo, or one of the statues outside the park. Game ? What Game ?

LongLiveFisk
09-24-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't know about that. It looks like that "2003" honeymoon might finally be over.

Not even close to how long they have been this way.

No, you really don't. The DUMBEST fan base in ALL of sports, yes. But since 1984, Cubs fans and Cubs Game fans have shown to be anything but fickle and demanding.

There you go.

Frontman
09-25-2010, 07:23 AM

Ricketts will keep the stadium filled. The problem will lie in the fact he won't be welcome in it. It's easy to go out and glad hand and share a beer in spring if the team is doing good. When was the last time he pulled PR appearan....I mean, took in a game with the fans at Wrigley?

slavko
09-25-2010, 11:16 AM
If the Cubbie Loving Media keeps saying it's a Dream Job, does that make it one?

Do the Ricketts bunch remind you just a little of the Mc Caskey's?

sox1970
09-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Bob Brenly has withdrawn himself for consideration.

Craig Grebeck
09-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Probably a good move.

It'll be interesting to see fans flock to Wrigley next season when Sandberg is named manager. What an awful, terrible, no good choice he would be.

cards press box
09-25-2010, 11:58 AM

Maybe or maybe Gonzalez is the odds on favorite to follow Bobby Cox as the Braves' manager. Gonzalez, after all, was the Braves' third base coach under Cox. The Braves have been a great organization the past two decades and I can certainly see why he would want to manage there.

slavko
09-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Probably a good move.

It'll be interesting to see fans flock to Wrigley next season when Sandberg is named manager. What an awful, terrible, no good choice he would be.

Seems to me like Ryno is their version of Fisk at WSI. Lots of excited talk without much logic, slim to no chance of happening.

Craig Grebeck
09-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Seems to me like Ryno is their version of Fisk at WSI. Lots of excited talk without much logic, slim to no chance of happening.
There's a very good chance it happens, actually. Which makes it even funnier. What a trainwreck he would be.

DumpJerry
09-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Some thoughts:

1. It is pure comedy gold listening to callers on blab radio saying "all we need to get is get Girardi and all will be fine." How will Girardi win a World Series with those crap contracts (Zambrano, Soriano, Fukudome, etc.) they can't get rid?

2. Wedge would be a disaster. He's an AL Manager, not NL. It would take him some time to learn the double switch and other aspects of the NL game. Longer than the probationary period (10-20 minutes).

3. It would be funny if Ozzie landed the job if for the only reason to hear all those Cub fans who have been trashing him to me recant everything they said.

I think Quade is the best option for them.

Frontman
09-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Brenly withdrawing screams of this decision on a new Manager has already been made. I have a feeling that it will be Quade (which, given the roster woes; isn't a bad thing) or Ryno (which would be a horrible thing. No reason to see a Hall of Fame player get vilified by his fanbase.)

Ricketts purchased a nightmare club; he has a mess to clean up, but isn't showing signs he'll clean it up anytime soon.

kaufsox
09-27-2010, 02:58 PM
I saw that Brenley had withdrawn, so my thinking was that it was pretty much a done deal. Honestly, I don't know if Ryno will be bad or good, but the more I see Ricketts talk the more I think that's who's getting the job.

g0g0
09-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Some thoughts:

1. It is pure comedy gold listening to callers on blab radio saying "all we need to get is get Girardi and all will be fine." How will Girardi win a World Series with those crap contracts (Zambrano, Soriano, Fukudome, etc.) they can't get rid?

2. Wedge would be a disaster. He's an AL Manager, not NL. It would take him some time to learn the double switch and other aspects of the NL game. Longer than the probationary period (10-20 minutes).

3. It would be funny if Ozzie landed the job if for the only reason to hear all those Cub fans who have been trashing him to me recant everything they said.

Big Z might be tradeable (if they want to now) with the way he finished the season. Sox can keep Ozzie lol.

soltrain21
09-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Some thoughts:

Huh?

vinny
09-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Huh?
Are you asking about the double switch or just questioning the premise of the statement?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_switch_(baseball)

downstairs
09-27-2010, 04:59 PM
I saw that Brenley had withdrawn, so my thinking was that it was pretty much a done deal. Honestly, I don't know if Ryno will be bad or good, but the more I see Ricketts talk the more I think that's who's getting the job.

Why would that indicate done deal? He knows how managing works, and maybe just doesn't want to do that anymore?

soltrain21
09-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Are you asking about the double switch or just questioning the premise of the statement?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_switch_(baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_switch_%28baseball))

I know what the double switch is. I was questioning why it would take a while to "learn" it. It's...not hard.

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2010, 12:53 AM
I know what the double switch is. I was questioning why it would take a while to "learn" it. It's...not hard.When National League fans talk about how much harder it is to manage in the NL because of the "strategy" involved, they always make the double switch sound like nuclear physics.

TDog
09-28-2010, 03:05 AM
When National League fans talk about how much harder it is to manage in the NL because of the "strategy" involved, they always make the double switch sound like nuclear physics.

Some managers in the NL do the double-switch like it's their favorite toy the way some young chess players go out of their way to castle even when they are playing someone who is taking their castling into account while planning five or six moves ahead.

The double switch certainly isn't nuclear physics. It's only strategic value involves allowing the pitcher finishing the inning to start the next inning without being hit for. If you get carried away with the double switch (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SLN/SLN201004170.shtml), you could have your pitcher hitting behind your best hitter for for the last nine innings of an extra-inning loss.

The key difference between managing in the American and National leagues is that in the AL, pitching management is independent from lineup management. Having a pitcher coming up to bat often makes pitching-change decisions for you. The adjustment from the NL to the AL can be as tricky as the adjustment from the AL to the NL. But it isn't a big adjustment in any case.

C-Dawg
09-28-2010, 07:16 AM
When National League fans talk about how much harder it is to manage in the NL because of the "strategy" involved, they always make the double switch sound like nuclear physics.

I have family members who are lifelong Cub fans who still can't figure it out.

Vestigio
10-06-2010, 11:31 AM
According to Doug Russel's twitter, Brenly is close to becoming the next manager for the Brewers. There goes another candidate, and announcer

http://twitter.com/1250dougrussell/status/26560599030

kaufsox
10-06-2010, 11:39 AM
According to Doug Russel's twitter, Brenly is close to becoming the next manager for the Brewers. There goes another candidate, and announcer

http://twitter.com/1250dougrussell/status/26560599030

I was just going to post this! Is this a slap in the Cubs face or just a smart move on his part?

Vestigio
10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Brenly wanted to manage again, and he knew he wouldnt get a fair shot on the Northside. I feel so sorry for the Cubs