PDA

View Full Version : White Sox 2011 Sneak Peek

nccwsfan
09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Official release from White Sox:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100914&content_id=14655202&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws

keloms
09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Full schedule is here
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=4&y=2011

Surprised the Home Cubs series has moved to Monday-Wednesday games.

Nelfox02
09-14-2010, 09:44 PM
\

yeah, that is funky---assuming all 3 will be night games?

Jerko
09-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Nice that the California teams come here........IN APRIL

Nelfox02
09-14-2010, 09:49 PM
I like the format of opening up the season on a weekend tho and playing a series sans an off day

I understand the weather logic behind having the off day for most clubs after the opening Monday---but I hated it, you wait all off season for games, and then after one day you are paused

chisoxfanatic
09-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Doesn't it seem there are more long (I'm talking 9-11 game) road trips than usual?

Rockin Robin
09-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Coming to Boston way earlier in the season than usual. Hooray!

gogosox675
09-14-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm so pumped for April 7! I don't get to make it to that many games since I live fairly far away from Chicago, but I'm (hopefully) skipping class that day to watch the home opener! :cool:

Full schedule is here

Is there any place online that has this in a one page format yet? Those really come in handy.

Dub25
09-14-2010, 10:21 PM
I like starting on a Friday but MLB dropped the ball as usual by scheduling a 10 game homestand in early April? How many of those games get killed by the weather? :scratch:

kevingrt
09-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Love starting with the Rays on Thursday. Double sick days on Thursday and Friday FTW!

sox1970
09-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Doesn't it seem there are more long (I'm talking 9-11 game) road trips than usual?

Yes. The Sox first half is absolutely brutal on paper.

Road trips--
11-Tampa Bay(4), Detroit, New York(4)
9- Seattle, Anaheim, Oakland
10- Texas, Toronto(4), Boston

And that's all before June 2.

75% of the division games are in the final 3 months, including 23 in September.

areilly
09-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Full schedule is here

Makes sense from a business standpoint. No reason to waste three guaranteed sellouts on weekends that would otherwise have healthy ticket sales regardless of who they play.

LongLiveFisk
09-15-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm so pumped for April 7! I don't get to make it to that many games since I live fairly far away from Chicago, but I'm (hopefully) skipping class that day to watch the home opener! :cool:

I never go to the opener, but I think I am going to go next year. Hopefully the weather cooperates though. April is so unpredictable.

God, I wish it was April already.

manders_01
09-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Sox at Rockies!!! I definitely get to see the Sox next season!!! :bliss: :wooty: :moonwalk:

LongLiveFisk
09-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Sox at Rockies!!! I definitely get to see the Sox next season!!! :bliss: :wooty: :moonwalk:

WSI road trip? :cool:

09-15-2010, 12:51 AM

Playing the NL West and NO @ San Diego or @ San Francisco??? I'm pretty pissed! I read before that they were deciding which city to travel to for inter league.

TDog
09-15-2010, 12:53 AM

That'll learn 'em.

Seriously, April games in Oakland are just as bad as April games in Chicago. I've been to May games in Oakland that reminded me of April games in Chicago.

I was hoping to get to see that Sox in San Francisco, but I guess I'll have to wait another three or six years. Seeing the Sox in Oakland isn't nearly as enjoyable.

fox23
09-15-2010, 08:03 AM
As a weekend season ticket holder, this is about the worst schedule possible. A ton of weekend games in ****ty April, interleague against the Dodgers (which I swear if they make it a premium game again I'm going to scream) and the craptastic Nats. And to top it off, no Cubs games to at least make a few bucks back on. Is there any way I can get my post season deposit back?? It will be so much cheaper just buying single games off of stubhub next year.

Go White Sox
09-15-2010, 09:17 AM
not a fan of this schedule

Season ends on a Wednesday, probably cant continue the tradition of going to the last home game which is usually on a Sunday...:whiner:

Arizona and Colorado on the road :rolleyes:......much rather have San Francisco and SD so maybe i would be tempted to go on a road trip other then Cle, Det and KC

Too many 2 game series i HATE Them

Bruizer
09-15-2010, 10:25 AM
As a weekend season ticket holder, this is about the worst schedule possible. A ton of weekend games in ****ty April, interleague against the Dodgers (which I swear if they make it a premium game again I'm going to scream) and the craptastic Nats. And to top it off, no Cubs games to at least make a few bucks back on. Is there any way I can get my post season deposit back?? It will be so much cheaper just buying single games off of stubhub next year.

If I counted correctly, there are only 26 weekend games at home, so I'm sure they'll include one of the Cubs games in the Weekend plan. They did that before for one of the NY weeknight games if I recall. Nevertheless, you could always call your rep and get your plan changed to the Weeknight plan or the Ozzie plan if you want.

09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Seriously no road games at San Francisco or San Diego? The White Sox only came to SD once and that was 2005. I thought for sure at 6 years they would come back.

No SD, SF or LA road games. Pretty crappy for the west coast fans. I guess I won't be going to any games next year either.

fox23
09-15-2010, 11:01 AM
If I counted correctly, there are only 26 weekend games at home, so I'm sure they'll include one of the Cubs games in the Weekend plan. They did that before for one of the NY weeknight games if I recall. Nevertheless, you could always call your rep and get your plan changed to the Weeknight plan or the Ozzie plan if you want.

That is correct that there are 26 weekend games, as has been the case every year since I started on this plan. However in every year past your 27th game was a lovely midweek game during opening week that nobody goes to. I hope they put a Cubs game in there instead, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

That's a good idea on changing to an Ozzie plan though, thanks! Unfortunately our deposit was so expensive for the playoffs that it may not make sense to do that.

canOcorn
09-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Is there any place online that has this in a one page format yet? Those really come in handy.

Here you go......

dwitt76
09-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Road trip to Cleveland for opening Day April 1st. :gosox:

ewokpelts
09-15-2010, 11:37 AM
As a weekend season ticket holder, this is about the worst schedule possible. A ton of weekend games in ****ty April, interleague against the Dodgers (which I swear if they make it a premium game again I'm going to scream) and the craptastic Nats. And to top it off, no Cubs games to at least make a few bucks back on. Is there any way I can get my post season deposit back?? It will be so much cheaper just buying single games off of stubhub next year.email your rep. it can be done.

fox23
09-15-2010, 11:41 AM
email your rep. it can be done.

Thanks, although with Reynel as my rep I may have to show up there in person to get anything done!

LongLiveFisk
09-15-2010, 12:14 PM
not a fan of this schedule

Season ends on a Wednesday, probably cant continue the tradition of going to the last home game which is usually on a Sunday...:whiner:

Arizona and Colorado on the road :rolleyes:......much rather have San Francisco and SD so maybe i would be tempted to go on a road trip other then Cle, Det and KC

Too many 2 game series i HATE Them

When I saw September, I thought there was a typo. It looked like the last few games were missing from the schedule or something. :scratch:

And I agree, at first glance anyway it looks like a boring schedule. But baseball is baseball if you're living in Chicago. For those of you living out west, I guess it would be disappointing.

I am still advocating the WSI road trip to Colorado though. :D:

russ99
09-15-2010, 12:22 PM

No surprises here. The Cubs had the weekday series this year, so I was expecting that on our side in 2011. But that's just poor scheduling in general, giving the Nats a weekend series at the Cell and not the Cubs.

You can bet that that Dodgers series is another prime date. If they were weekday games, you'd have a chance. Weekend, no dice. Hopefully the Nats series won't be.

I would have liked a Padres/Giants series, but whatever. The Rockies and D-backs should be easier to beat anyway.

Facing Boston and NY in the same homestand stinks.

ewokpelts
09-15-2010, 01:01 PM
No surprises here. The Cubs had the weekday series this year, so I was expecting that on our side in 2011. But that's just poor scheduling in general, giving the Nats a weekend series at the Cell and not the Cubs.

You can bet that that Dodgers series is another prime date. If they were weekday games, you'd have a chance. Weekend, no dice. Hopefully the Nats series won't be.

I would have liked a Padres/Giants series, but whatever. The Rockies and D-backs should be easier to beat anyway.

Facing Boston and NY in the same homestand stinks.the cubs being on a weekday isnt too bad. might as well have the sellouts on days where sellouts dont typically happen(2010 braves and 2009 dodgers come to mind). and the nationals series might have an appearance from you know who(and i'm not talking strasburg), so that should help sales.

if anything, the weekend plan should be considerably cheaper for 2011, as there are three april series, and no cubs or yankees.

fox23
09-15-2010, 01:28 PM
the cubs being on a weekday isnt too bad. might as well have the sellouts on days where sellouts dont typically happen(2010 braves and 2009 dodgers come to mind). and the nationals series might have an appearance from you know who(and i'm not talking strasburg), so that should help sales.

if anything, the weekend plan should be considerably cheaper for 2011, as there are three april series, and no cubs or yankees.

I know, I can't wait to see Willie Harris back :tongue:

I hope they are cheaper, but somehow I feel certain other series will just become premium series.

I do agree with the idea of putting the Cubs during the week, might as well get 3 extra sellouts during the week when fewer people tend to go to the games than over the weekend. But from a purely selfish standpoint, it sucks.

DumpJerry
09-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Based on this season's performances, if I had to choose between San Diego, San Fran and Arizona for a road series, I'd take Arizona in a heartbeat.

ewokpelts
09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
i only see OD, red sox, yankees, and elvis night as Premium games. and of course, cubs as a whole tier to themselves.

i see plenty of prime games in may-sept weekends.

manders_01
09-15-2010, 02:41 PM
WSI road trip? :cool:

I LOVE that idea!!!

Law11
09-15-2010, 03:14 PM
What? no Pittsburgh?!!!!

keloms
09-15-2010, 03:49 PM

I agree. I had been somewhat on the fence about renewing and after seeing the schedule, it made the decision a whole lot easier.

LongLiveFisk
09-15-2010, 03:56 PM
What? no Pittsburgh?!!!!

I know! I almost fell over. :thud::lol:

getonbckthr
09-15-2010, 04:17 PM
I like that we will be done with the AL East powers by early August and only 3 against Minnesota in September. Looks like we are in Boston for Memorial Day. Isn't like a 11am start?

Foulke You
09-15-2010, 04:50 PM
I wonder if all three of those home games against the Cubs will be night games? They did do one night game this year.

beasly213
09-15-2010, 04:57 PM
I wonder if all three of those home games against the Cubs will be night games? They did do one night game this year.

The Saturday game at Sox Park was a night game. Paulies HR in the 8th. One of the handful of highlights to this season.

ewokpelts
09-15-2010, 05:05 PM
i expect two night games and one day game

PatK
09-15-2010, 05:16 PM
I like that we will be done with the AL East powers by early August and only 3 against Minnesota in September. Looks like we are in Boston for Memorial Day. Isn't like a 11am start?

I like that it appears we have much less of the traditionally stronger teams in August and September than we usually do.

Hitmen77
09-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Based on this season's performances, if I had to choose between San Diego, San Fran and Arizona for a road series, I'd take Arizona in a heartbeat.

Just as long as the Diamondbacks aren't doing one of these promotions (http://www.theonion.com/articles/16000-diamondbacks-fans-killed-on-complimentary-ra,18061/) when the Sox go out there next year!

DumpJerry
09-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Based on this year's performance by the Sox, July next year could be brutal. July 4-27 is nothing but the AL Central. 19 games. I'm talking an 11 on the 1-10 pain scale where 1 is total pleasure and 10 is bamboo shoots under your fingernails with salt water.

DumpJerry
09-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Just as long as the Diamondbacks aren't doing one of these promotions (http://www.theonion.com/articles/16000-diamondbacks-fans-killed-on-complimentary-ra,18061/) when the Sox go out there next year!
I saw that the other day. How horrible. I hope the Twins come up with something similar.

rcescato
09-16-2010, 09:29 AM

Thats the worst schedule i have ever seen. 34 road games before June 1st. another year with a 10 game road trip to start second half.

sox1970
09-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Thats the worst schedule i have ever seen. 34 road games before June 1st. another year with a 10 game road trip to start second half.

The Twins will have 41 road games by June 8. Then they play 47 out of 73 at home.

Just by team-by-team breakdown, the Sox and Twins have very similar schedules next year. But it may come down to who starts the season better on the road.

It might helpful if Alexei Ramirez shows up on April 1st, and not May 15th.

AZChiSoxFan
09-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Sorry if MarySwiss (or someone else) already mentioned this but I didn't feel like reading through all the posts here.

I have to say, I am totally pumped that for the first time since 2003, the Sox are playing in Phoenix during the regular season!!!! Even better, it's a weekend series and even better still, it's Father's day weekend so i get to choose the weekend activities for my family that weekend!!!:bandance:

hawkjt
09-16-2010, 02:09 PM
a competitive standpoint, I think this is one of the best Sox schedules in a long time. My pet peeves have always been:

1. Playing the Red Sox and Yankees after the trade deadline when they are stocked up and focused on winning their divisions...2011 has a minimum of games like that.

2. Hate playing the Bluejays early. They always come out strong,but by late in the year they are fading...we play them last series of the year in 2011.

3. Playing the Angels and A's late. These west coast teams play well late in the year usually, due to not dealing with the humidity of the midwest all summer. We get them early in 2011.

As far as inter-league schedule, Sox miss the better teams...Giants and Padres, and get the D-Backs...and the nationals...only really good NL opponent is the Rockies and like the other low humidity teams..they are good late, and Sox get them early. Sox should do well vs the NL again next year.

I really like this schedule on paper to help the Sox win the division. Of course,that presumes they play better vs the AL Central.

ewokpelts
09-16-2010, 02:30 PM
the long homestands/roadtrips will be killer. especially on the fans and attendance.

gogosox675
09-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Sorry if MarySwiss (or someone else) already mentioned this but I didn't feel like reading through all the posts here.

I have to say, I am totally pumped that for the first time since 2003, the Sox are playing in Phoenix during the regular season!!!! Even better, it's a weekend series and even better still, it's Father's day weekend so i get to choose the weekend activities for my family that weekend!!!:bandance:

I'm pumped too! My family is seriously thinking about taking our first vacation in four years next summer and we have family in Tempe, so I'm really going to push for going to Arizona that weekend. I wouldn't complain if we went to Denver to watch the Sox, though.

soxdolly
09-20-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm sure you all probably know this by now, but the weekend package next year will include the Tuesday Sox/Cubs game.

PaleHoser
09-20-2010, 06:25 PM
75% of the division games are in the final 3 months, including 23 in September.

Is there a chance our braintrust can figure out how to play better than 10 games below .500 against division rivals by then?

ewokpelts
09-21-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm sure you all probably know this by now, but the weekend package next year will include the Tuesday Sox/Cubs game.link?

Jerko
09-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Hope there's more than three weekday DAY games. (opener and Cubs series not included).

ewokpelts
09-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Hope there's more than three weekday DAY games. (opener and Cubs series not included).probably not. this is the sox we're talking about.

roylestillman
09-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Hope there's more than three weekday DAY games. (opener and Cubs series not included).

It doesn't look promising for weekday day games next year.The Sox really only consider day games on get away days at the end of a homestand. This year, most of those days were Sundays. 2011's draft schedule only shows a mid week get away on May 4, August 4, and September 14. Its unlikely that they will schedule a day game after the kids are back in school. The August game is against the Yankees, which I'd bet they'd rather have at night. The May date has an off day after it.

ewokpelts
09-22-2010, 11:04 AM
based off 2010, the sox clearly do NOT want weekday afternoon games. I imagine they feel attendace will suffer on a weekday game, but i saw plenty of green seats on wed and thursday nights this year. and in summer no less.

SephClone89
09-22-2010, 11:23 AM
based off 2010, the sox clearly do NOT want weekday afternoon games. I imagine they feel attendace will suffer on a weekday game, but i saw plenty of green seats on wed and thursday nights this year. and in summer no less.

All of the weekday afternoon games this year drew as well, if not better, than a typical weeknight game.

soxinem1
09-22-2010, 11:47 AM

16,000 fans snuffed because of free rattlesnakes? I feel sorry for the D-Backs. That killed off their entire fan base!!!

ewokpelts
09-22-2010, 01:36 PM
All of the weekday afternoon games this year drew as well, if not better, than a typical weeknight game.that why this is typical sox bull****.

doublem23
09-22-2010, 01:43 PM
that why this is typical sox bull****.

Are you basing this off anything other than the voices in your head right now?

ewokpelts
09-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Are you basing this off anything other than the voices in your head right now?
it's an opinion. deal with it.

downstairs
09-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Some strange stuff this year... not ending the season against a division team, playing two series (including a 2-gamer) before the home opener.

soxlady8
09-22-2010, 05:39 PM
odd scheduling !!
However, I think a trip to Denver , Phoenix , or Wash would be cool
for Interleague .
I don't think I will make ST this year due to my Spring Break being in mid April so I really am liking a trip to Phoenix !!

SOXSINCE'70
09-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Maybe the chill will help the Sox sweep the A's and Angels.... IN APRIL.:D: