PDA

View Full Version : Rockies Run

Lundind1
09-13-2010, 01:58 PM
The Rockies have won 10 in a row, reminicent of 2007. They are only 1.5 back in the NL West, 2.5 back in the Wild Card. Of their 19 remaining games: 15 of them are against NL West teams, 6 of the games are against teams (SF and SD) ahead of them in the standings and will face these two teams at home, 10 games are on the road (29-42 away), and 9 games remain at home. Remember, just 11 days ago they were 7-1/2 games out. A lot of things had to go right, and so far they have, .500 play from the Giants and an 0-10 slide by the Padres.

This team has shown the propensity to make runs late in the season and well into the post season. This year they are the Majors 2nd best at with a home record of 50-22.

Do they have enough to make it in? Can the Dodgers play spoiler in those games they play against the Rocks (3 home, 3 away)?

Finally, do you think they could edge out possibly the Phils or Braves, Giants or Padres if it came down to a wildcard or tie-brake situation?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-13-2010, 02:05 PM
The Rockies have won 10 in a row, reminicent of 2007. They are only 1.5 back in the NL West, 2.5 back in the Wild Card. Of their 19 remaining games: 15 of them are against NL West teams, 6 of the games are against teams (SF and SD) ahead of them in the standings and will face these two teams at home, 10 games are on the road (29-42 away), and 9 games remain at home. Remember, just 11 days ago they were 7-1/2 games out. A lot of things had to go right, and so far they have, .500 play from the Giants and an 0-10 slide by the Padres.

This team has shown the propensity to make runs late in the season and well into the post season. This year they are the Majors 2nd best at with a home record of 50-22.

Do they have enough to make it in? Can the Dodgers play spoiler in those games they play against the Rocks (3 home, 3 away)?

Finally, do you think they could edge out possibly the Phils or Braves, Giants or Padres if it came down to a wildcard or tie-brake situation?

Yes.

The Rockies are a very well-rounded team, and I am of the mindset that the Pads have played way over their heads for the majority of the season (hence their slide), and that it will come down to the Rox and the Giants for the NL West crown, and the loser might have to settle for the wild card.

If the Sox don't make it, I'll be wearing my Tulowitzki shirt and my CR hat, and cheer them on to victory!

TheOldRoman
09-13-2010, 02:55 PM
My ideal NL playoff would have SD winning the west, the Rockies the wild card and Atlanta the East. that is not looking too likely at this point. The Rockies are a hell of a team and very fun to watch. With the exception of the Phillies the NL playoffs are going to feature fresh, exciting teams. The Phillies are the only potential playoff team I don't like.

TDog
09-13-2010, 03:02 PM
The 10-game winning streak followed losing two in San Francisco and one at home against the Phillies. It would have been three losses in San Francisco, but the Giants had Cody Ross in right (instead of Schierholtz, a defensive move that would seem a no-brainer) in the ninth of a 1-0 game, and he misjudged a flyball that went for a game-tying triple which won the game for the Rockies because the throw to third skipped into the dugout. After Tim Lincecum beat the Rockies 2-1 to take two of three in the series, people on SF sports radio were complaining that it was only against the Rockies, and he hasn't beaten a decent team in months. San Francisco sports talk radio isn't so different from WSI.

The Rockies are a different team at home. The first three games in the winning streak were in San Diego, which were huge, but the rest were at home. The Rockies don't seem to have a difficult road schedule ahead, They go to Arizona and LA and, inexplicably, finish the season with a weekend series in St. Louis after their last homestand. I don't think the Rockies are as good a the Giants. If I hadn't grown fond of the Giants, I wouldn't be inspired to cheer for players like Jason Giambi and Miguel Olivo. The Giants have better starting pitching and have found some hitting this year. The Rockies have more offense, but as a team they have hit .302 at home and .228 on the road.

I wouldn't be surprised if both the Giants and Rockies make the postseason. San Diego is fading after losing their big lead. If they don't start winning in Colorado, they could end up the disappearing trailer in the three-team race.

SI1020
09-13-2010, 03:35 PM
After Tim Lincecum beat the Rockies 2-1 to take two of three in the series, people on SF sports radio were complaining that it was only against the Rockies, and he hasn't beaten a decent team in months. San Francisco sports talk radio isn't so different from WSI.
I guess that only leaves the question as to which of the two you think are more unworthy.

Lundind1
09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Considering that the Rockies play in a very hitter friendly ballpark, plays to their advantage here. With that being said, only 9 of 19 are going to be at home. I don't see the WC coming out of the West, but they can make the division crown race very interesting. I see (obviously) the Reds in the Central, the Phils in the East, San Fran in the West, and the Atlanta Braves as the Wild Card winner. The Wild Card may come down to a 1 game playoff and (I hate predictions based on only feelings) I think it would be between the Rock and Braves.

San Diego may make things interesting but the recent fade and lack of great pitching is going to hurt them mightly (sure they wish they had Peavy now, not injured of course...but that is for another thread).

TDog
09-13-2010, 03:57 PM
I guess that only leaves the question as to which of the two you think are more unworthy.

There are quite a few people who know a lot about baseball at WSI. There are, however, many reactionaries. There seem to be fewer of the former and more of the latter calling into sports radio, and at WSI, a person who believes, for example, that Jackson was a lousy acquisition because he lost to the Royals doesn't take space away from the people who recognize that even very good pitchers have bad days and Jackson has shown himself to be a quality starting pitcher. In deference to the opinions voiced on SF talk radio, I would argue that Tim Lincecum won two Cy Young awards in his first two seasons. He isn't a lousy pitcher and his beating the Rockies 2-1 does not prove the Rockies are a lousy offensive team. I didn't wait on hold to scream that point, however.

People who host sports radio are supposed to be voices of reason and sometimes they are. But in general, despite the reactionary noise here, the discussion is at a higher level.

SI1020
09-13-2010, 04:03 PM
There are quite a few people who know a lot about baseball at WSI. There are, however, many reactionaries. There seem to be fewer of the former and more of the latter calling into sports radio, and at WSI, a person who believes, for example, that Jackson was a lousy acquisition because he lost to the Royals doesn't take space away from the people who recognize that even very good pitchers have bad days and Jackson has shown himself to be a quality starting pitcher. In deference to the opinions voiced on SF talk radio, I would argue that Tim Lincecum won two Cy Young awards in his first two seasons. He isn't a lousy pitcher and his beating the Rockies 2-1 does not prove the Rockies are a lousy offensive team. I didn't wait on hold to scream that point, however.

People who host sports radio are supposed to be voices of reason and sometimes they are. But in general, despite the reactionary noise here, the discussion is at a higher level. Fair enough. As for Jackson, he may or may not turn out to be a lousy acquisition. Evaluating trades almost always takes more time that many realize.

Yes the Rockies are making it interesting. I wonder what the weather will be like in Denver on November 4?

palehozenychicty
09-13-2010, 11:50 PM
The Rockies really do bring it. They have a lot of speed and athleticism. I'm still not convinced they have enough starting pitching, but that division is so evenly matched I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed hot and got the Wild Card at a minimum.

PatK
09-14-2010, 11:45 AM
I never thought that the Pads would be able to hold on to the division lead for the whole season.

I love the Rockies. I hope it's another 2007-late season run for them