PDA

View Full Version : THE Minnesota Series

konerko 14
09-12-2010, 04:43 PM
It's sweep or we're not going to the postseason this year, I've got confidence the Sox can do it with Danks, Buehrle, and Floyd going, Paulie is on fire, and it's at the Cell. Go Sox!!

KMcMahon817
09-12-2010, 04:47 PM
It's not going to be easy, but it is possible. If we sweep, we're three back with 16 to go. Not an easy task even then, but it's definitely possible and a lot of crazier things have happened.

I would sure love to see it and today's game was a step in the right direction.

A. Cavatica
09-12-2010, 04:48 PM
We ought to be able to steal one of the games.

Rikirk
09-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Someone make sure Joe West and his crew are nowhere to be found when Buerly pitches.

Dan H
09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
The Twins are beatable now. They are not a great road team and they haven't been hitting lately. But the White Sox will have to be on top of their own game. Any leak links in the chain and the sweep will be impossible. All the pressure is on the Sox; none is on the Twins.

CLUBHOUSE KID
09-12-2010, 05:34 PM
The Twins are beatable now. They are not a great road team and they haven't been hitting lately. But the White Sox will have to be on top of their own game. Any leak links in the chain and the sweep will be impossible. All the pressure is on the Sox; none is on the Twins.

Thet won today and hit well (MIN) and you are right, pressure is on the White Sox. I still say Twins take 2 of 3. NO SWEEP by either team. Also, if WS take 2 of 3 they are 5 back so only gained 1 game.

JermaineDye05
09-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Even if we manage a sweep, winning the division is still going to be hard as hell. We're going to need a lot of help from really bad teams and we're going to need to take care of some pretty good teams.

guillensdisciple
09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Win or lose, I only have one thing to say to the Twins:

**** you, and have a good day.

DumpJerry
09-12-2010, 06:39 PM
It's sweep or where not going to the postseason this year, I've got confidence the Sox can do it with Danks, Buehrle, and Floyd going, Paulie is on fire, and it's at the Cell. Go Sox!!
Where to?

Brian26
09-12-2010, 07:09 PM
We ought to be able to steal one of the games.

:rolling:

konerko 14
09-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Where to?

haha, I fixed it

TheCommander
09-12-2010, 07:13 PM
haha, I fixed it

No, you didn't.

It's sweep or were not going to the postseason this year, I've got confidence the Sox can do it with Danks, Buehrle, and Floyd going, Paulie is on fire, and it's at the Cell. Go Sox!!

we're :D:

Nelfox02
09-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I got us winning 2 of these games.......getting out 5 back and pretty much done for

about 2 weeks ago I was hoping we hit this series 3 or less back, 6 was not what I (or the rest of us I assume) had in mind

is what it is at this point

finish it out strong palehose

WhiteSox5187
09-12-2010, 08:02 PM
I don't think the Sox will sweep and even if we DO sweep I don't think we're going to make the playoffs, but I hope we can make them sweat a bit and maybe even screwing up their playoff rotation.

konerko 14
09-12-2010, 08:36 PM
No, you didn't.

we're :D:
ughh, I always get those mixed up :D:

tsoxman
09-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Interesting, but on this day last year, the Twins were 5.5 games behind Detroit, while we were 5 games back. We were actually closer to first this time last year than we are now.

guillensdisciple
09-12-2010, 08:57 PM
While I'm not saying we win or anything like that I will say that a sweep has more damage than what a 3 game deficit will show in the standings. Psychologically, the Twins could be shattered if swept. Hell, if we hand it to them, if we take away everything, then they might be deflated and that final series against Toronto could prove pivotal.

Or they could play like a playoff team and beat us like they have. Edging us late. If we win the first two, game three becomes almost must win for them. The last thing you want to do for a dying ball club is give them hope. You're opening yourself up for some serious damage.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Or they could play like a playoff team and beat us like they have. Edging us late. If we win the first two, game three becomes almost must win for them. The last thing you want to do for a dying ball club is give them hope. You're opening yourself up for some serious damage.

You mean like we did when Bobby blew that 3-run lead?

Yeah, that didn't work out too well for us.

guillensdisciple
09-12-2010, 09:10 PM

Exactly what I'm talking about. I, like you, also said that day would haunt us. We were right. But, pivotal moments can happen late too. Life is a funny thing, and so is baseball. One step in life can create a sequence that would have been completely different had you not taken that step- one moment in baseball could change the fate of this club. The Tigers should have won last year, and they did not.

I predict nothing- I just present you the what if.

Red Barchetta
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
In typical Twins fashion, they have had another solid season. However there is nothing that has convinced me that they cannot have a 6-8 game losing streak. Now would be a great time! :tongue:

I'm hoping for a 1969 Cubs-like Epic Fail!

slavko
09-12-2010, 11:12 PM
What do you guess the odds of a Sox sweep are? 10%? Hope is a dangerous thing. We may as well all become Cubs fans. I'll watch anyhoo.

hi im skot
09-12-2010, 11:14 PM
What do you guess the odds of a Sox sweep are? 10%? Hope is a dangerous thing. We may as well all become Cubs fans. I'll watch anyhoo.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/tumblr_l5xjlmhMn21qzoxl6o1_400.gif?t=1284351230

GoGoCrede
09-12-2010, 11:15 PM

That's kind of a big leap...

JermaineDye05
09-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Interesting, but on this day last year, the Twins were 5.5 games behind Detroit, while we were 5 games back. We were actually closer to first this time last year than we are now.

Yeah, but the teams ahead of us were a lot worse.

As usual, the Twins are playing their best baseball in the second half.

GoGoCrede
09-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Time is now, boys. Pitch well and hit a few out of the park. Get your **** together, or you'll be going home early.

gogosox675
09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
It's about time for the Twins to choke during the final few weeks of the season. Who better to capitalize on that than the Sox?

Foulke You
09-13-2010, 12:45 AM

That game was a can of Red Bull for the Twins.

Foulke You
09-13-2010, 12:47 AM
I hope we can make them sweat a bit and maybe even screwing up their playoff rotation.
This is what I'm hoping for as well. I would love it if they had to start Nick Blackburn or Kevin Slowey in Game 1 of the ALDS.

LITTLE NELL
09-13-2010, 05:12 AM
A must sweep, anything less and its wait until next year.

Irishsoxfan
09-13-2010, 07:15 AM
Regardless of the effect on the final standings I will enjoy each Sox victory over the twins.

Dan H
09-13-2010, 08:38 AM
While I'm not saying we win or anything like that I will say that a sweep has more damage than what a 3 game deficit will show in the standings. Psychologically, the Twins could be shattered if swept. Hell, if we hand it to them, if we take away everything, then they might be deflated and that final series against Toronto could prove pivotal.

I don't think a sweep do anything psychologically to the Twins. It might make them a little nervous, but they still will be three games up with no more face to face confrontations with the White Sox.

This shows what kind of bad situation the Sox are in. A sweep would be great but so many other things would have to happen. The Twins are due to play some bad baseball but we've been saying that for a month now. Things don't look good but at least for now this is a chance.

asindc
09-13-2010, 08:46 AM

How does the first thing exclusively correlate to the second thing?

hawkjt
09-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Sox face their three hottest pitchers in Lirano,Pavano and Duesing...so be it. That just means after the Sox sweep them,then they go back home and lose a couple to Oakland with Blackburn and Baker/Slowey on the mound,opening up the window for the Sox to gain ground vs the tigers at Soxpark.

It is what it is now,gang, must sweep series is here,and I sense a great Sox rally.

#1swisher
09-13-2010, 10:24 AM
What ever this team did for yesterdays game, down 6 before an AB:o:

Do it again, then do it again, and again, and again to finish as the WINNERS I know they are.

Before I forget...**** the twins :gulp:

:gosox:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-13-2010, 10:28 AM
That game was a can of Red Bull for the Twins.

Yeah, but Red Bull isn't supposed to last THIS long.

asindc
09-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah, but Red Bull isn't supposed to last THIS long.

Yes, we are all still waiting for the sudden crash effect.

salty99
09-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Twins have the best record in baseball since the AS break and are only 2 games out of having home field in the AL. With the Yankees/Rays playing each other they have a definite shot at it and I'm sure will be bringing their A game to Chicago. That being said I hope we beat the crap out of them and sweep the series!!!

downstairs
09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
If we're three back, anything can happen. Anything more than three back, I give up.

BNLSox
09-13-2010, 03:21 PM
I think we pretty much need to win at a .900 clip the rest of the way to catch a playoff spot. . .

palehosepub
09-13-2010, 03:29 PM
We need to win this series for now but also for the future (sorry I don't mean to sound like "wait til next year")

Restore some pride and confidence in the team and the staff that the Sox CAN beat the Twinks....remove that albatross!

I hope we have lots of Sox fans out there to support the team, its getting ridiculous how many twinkee fans have been showing up at USCF. Lets send them home with their big mouths shut...

I'll be there Weds and Thursday - go Sox!

chisoxfanatic
09-13-2010, 06:21 PM
I can't believe Ozzie said that all we need to do is "win this series." That only brings us to 5 back after this series with what, 16 left in the season? We're gonna have to get at minimum 3 more sweeps this season, including this one coming up with the Twins.

Ranger
09-13-2010, 07:45 PM

Yes, because pulling for your team to make a comeback under difficult conditions makes you a Cubs fan. The whole point of being a fan is to hope and wish for the improbable.

A. Cavatica
09-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Time for Manny to start earning his (discounted, deferred) salary...if he has a slugging percentage less than 3.10 against the Twins, he was a bad acquisition.

:tongue:

GoGoCrede
09-13-2010, 09:06 PM
I can't believe Ozzie said that all we need to do is "win this series." That only brings us to 5 back after this series with what, 16 left in the season? We're gonna have to get at minimum 3 more sweeps this season, including this one coming up with the Twins.

A sweep could do a lot for the morale of the team and get their confidence rolling.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Yes, because pulling for your team to make a comeback under difficult conditions makes you a Cubs fan. The whole point of being a fan is to hope and wish for the improbable.

Score one for the Ranger.

In the unlikely event that we sweep, we still have to rely on some crappy teams to do our dirty work that we should have done earlier this season. It'll be a lot more exciting if they sweep though, and it could possibly come down to the final week.

Anything else, though, and the Twins will likely clinch with time to set their rotation.

kaufsox
09-13-2010, 09:40 PM
I don't think a sweep do anything psychologically to the Twins. It might make them a little nervous, but they still will be three games up with no more face to face confrontations with the White Sox.

This shows what kind of bad situation the Sox are in. A sweep would be great but so many other things would have to happen. The Twins are due to play some bad baseball but we've been saying that for a month now. Things don't look good but at least for now this is a chance.

The Twins reserve their bad baseball for the postseason.

guillensdisciple
09-13-2010, 10:08 PM
I need a sweep, because I need a revival of these forums. It has been so quiet here lately and it's creeping me out. We need to get our hopes going and this board back and running to max capacity.

GoGoCrede
09-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I need a sweep, because I need a revival of these forums. It has been so quiet here lately and it's creeping me out. We need to get our hopes going and this board back and running to max capacity.

School's back, so everyone's probably hitting the books now, too.

rookie
09-13-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm still addicted to baseball, the Sox, and WSI. Enjoying even the possibility of mattering. It's a long off season. Let's go Sox!

guillensdisciple
09-13-2010, 10:24 PM
School's back, so everyone's probably hitting the books now, too.

I don't think there are that many of us college and graduate people here are there?

I'm still addicted to baseball, the Sox, and WSI. Enjoying even the possibility of mattering. It's a long off season. Let's go Sox!

That's my reasoning as well. Too much time off, so these final weeks could be it until next April. That's such a long time- might as well eat this up.

Dub25
09-13-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't think the Sox will sweep and even if we DO sweep I don't think we're going to make the playoffs, but I hope we can make them sweat a bit and maybe even screwing up their playoff rotation.

No matter what the Sox do the Twins rotation is screwed.

WhiteSox5187
09-13-2010, 11:34 PM
God I really hope we sweep, I'm feeling blue and a sweep can pick me out of the dumps!

pudge
09-14-2010, 01:41 AM

Then you'll probably want to check back in 2011.

Bruizer
09-14-2010, 08:47 AM
One game at a time. I just want a win tonight! I'll worry about tomorrow when it arrives.

tstrike2000
09-14-2010, 08:55 AM
I think we can do 2 of 3 and then need some help.

doublem23
09-14-2010, 09:37 AM
I think we can do 2 of 3 and then need some help.

They have to sweep. After this series, there will be 16 games left in the season. 5 GB with 16 is almost impossible, barring a complete collapse by the Twins. If the Sox end this series 5 games out, the Twins can win 1/2 of their remaining games and the Sox would need to go 13-3 over the last 2 1/2 weeks just to tie.

This series is do or die. 1 loss to Minnesota pretty much ends it.

Chicken Dinner
09-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Aren't we really 7 back from the Twins? We can't end in a tie and the Twins have a better head to head record. They changed the one game playoff to head to head record.

aryzner
09-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Aren't we really 7 back from the Twins? We can't end in a tie and the Twins have a better head to head record. They changed the one game playoff to head to head record.
I thought that what changed is that whatever team has the better head to head record has the tiebreaker game played at their home park. (No longer a coinflip.)

salty99
09-14-2010, 09:41 AM

No. In a tie head to head record is used to determine where the tie-breaker game is held.

doublem23
09-14-2010, 09:41 AM

The rule change was that the host of the 1-game playoff is based on better head-to-head record instead of the old coin flip. If the Sox and Twins are tied after 162 games, there will be a 163rd, it will just be in Minnesota since you are correct, even if we sweep this series, they will have won the season series against us.

The only scenario in which there is no 163rd game playoff is if both teams qualify for the postseason anyway (i.e. the 2nd place team would win the wild card). In that case, the division championship is awarded to the team with the best head-to-head record.

Rikirk
09-14-2010, 10:13 AM
I would like to see the Sox sweep the Twins and absolutely crush them...I would also like a million dollars, but I dont see either happening anytime soon.

A nice consolation would be seeing the Twins swept out of the playoffs in humiliating fashion.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-14-2010, 10:59 AM
I'll watch intently - If we win, I'll watch tomorrow. If we lose, I'll still watch tomorrow. I'm a Sox fan. I watch til the last game of the season - be it in late September, early October, or October 26. :D:

thomas35forever
09-14-2010, 11:33 AM
It's judgment day, people.

#1swisher
09-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Mark Buehrle has the right attitude.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100913&content_id=14618256&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

09-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Sox are 2-7 vs the twins in one run games year. That's really the difference between first and second place.

doublem23
09-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Sox are 2-7 vs the twins in one run games year. That's really the difference between first and second place.

That's actually a 10-game swing, you've got to remember, every L vs. the Twins is essentially 2 games in the standings.

09-14-2010, 01:04 PM
That's actually a 10-game swing, you've got to remember, every L vs. the Twins is essentially 2 games in the standings.

I know. I'm just saying if we only win three of those games, going 5-4 in one-run games against the twins, then we're all tied up. But yeah, if it was the other way around, then we'd be up.

VMSNS
09-14-2010, 01:09 PM
**** the Twins. Seriously. **** them. **** them and their team, their stadium, their stupid announcers, and their ****ty fans. I don't care if our season is practically over. I just want to beat the hell out of the Twinkies during this series and expose their ****ty pitching staff for the bunch of hacks that they are.

Just win, baby.

Sorry for the rant, but a bunch of Twins fans that I know have been really heckling me for the past fews days and it's really starting to piss me off.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
**** the Twins. Seriously. **** them. **** them and their team, their stadium, their stupid announcers, and their ****ty fans. I don't care if our season is practically over. I just want to beat the hell out of the Twinkies during this series and expose their ****ty pitching staff for the bunch of hacks that they are.

Just win, baby.

Sorry for the rant, but a bunch of Twins fans that I know have been really heckling me for the past fews days and it's really starting to piss me off.

Tell them the Sox will be watching them get swept in the ALDS - again.

PorkChopExpress
09-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Mark Buehrle has the right attitude.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100913&content_id=14618256&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Is it just me and my pessimistic attitude, or does anyone else feel like the Sox just don't get it after reading this? I mean, I understand the "take it one game at a time" approach, but you have to feel the pressure of these games. Just because you came back from being left for dead does not mean you shouldn't feel the pressure of these games. You have a shot, albeit a small one, to take this division and you have to beat the Twins to do it. Get fired up! Don't be satisfied with second place because you fought to overcome a large deficit you built for yourself back in June. I don't know, maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

asindc
09-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Is it just me and my pessimistic attitude, or does anyone else feel like the Sox just don't get it after reading this? I mean, I understand the "take it one game at a time" approach, but you have to feel the pressure of these games. Just because you came back from being left for dead does not mean you shouldn't feel the pressure of these games. You have a shot, albeit a small one, to take this division and you have to beat the Twins to do it. Get fired up! Don't be satisfied with second place because you fought to overcome a large deficit you built for yourself back in June. I don't know, maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

IMHO, you are.

Hitmen77
09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
If the Sox don't sweep it's over. Even if they do, it's probably still over.

But why should this series be any different than the other times we played the Twins. I see the Sox taking 1 of the 3 games. The way the Sox have played against Minn. this year is extremely disappointing.