PDA

View Full Version : Jenks injured again

dickallen15
09-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Now has right forearm "discomfort". Maybe its from compensating for all his other ailments, maybe its just wear and tear, maybe it has to do with the screw in his elbow.

asindc
09-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Maybe it's from him not being in optimum condition for the rigors of his job.

DumpJerry
09-09-2010, 12:08 PM
It's from bumping knuckles with Thornton.

Bobby Thigpen
09-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Maybe it's from him not being in optimum condition for the rigors of his job.

:rolleyes:

SI1020
09-09-2010, 01:23 PM
:rolleyes: No need for that. He's not in shape and when you're not injuries are more likely.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I think it's that dark cloud that has been hanging over this team in August and into this month.

Hartman
09-09-2010, 05:10 PM
It's likely just cover for an upcoming meltdown.

Dub25
09-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Sale for closer next year while he gets ready for a starter spot like St. Louis did with Wainwright?

Foulke You
09-10-2010, 02:59 AM
I think it's that dark cloud that has been hanging over this team in August and into this month.
I agree. The Baseball Gods have dispensed much wrath on the Chicago White Sox.

wilburaga
09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Who knows, if Bobby's forearm doesn't heal up he may have pitched his last inning for the White Sox. That prospect saddens me. For my money he's the best closer the Sox have ever had. I know Thiggy had more saves, but I'll be damned if I can remember one of them.

Nellie_Fox
09-10-2010, 03:35 PM
For my money he's the best closer the Sox have ever had.Hoyt Wilhelm. While he was with the Sox, had an ERA under 2 every year except one, and a WHIP under 1 every year except one.

Lip Man 1
09-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Agreed and the fact that he threw a knuckleball of all things makes those numbers mind boggling.

Lip

wilburaga
09-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Hoyt Wilhelm. While he was with the Sox, had an ERA under 2 every year except one, and a WHIP under 1 every year except one.

You're probably right. It's difficult to compare relievers from the 60's to today's closers. They're used so differently, and the save rule has evolved. But the numbers you cited for the Good Doctor speak for themselves.

Chez
09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Fire Herm!

soxfanreggie
09-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Hoyt Wilhelm. While he was with the Sox, had an ERA under 2 every year except one, and a WHIP under 1 every year except one.

For the most part of his career, wasn't Jenks a pretty cheap option for us? Four of his six seasons, Jenks was paid $550k or less. Only since 2009 has he hit "big bucks". I'm not sure how much Hoyt was paid as a percentage of the payroll, but Jenks was an integral part of the World Series win and also a very cheap but effective player for the first four of his six seasons here so far.

I'm not saying Hoyt wasn't the most effective or Thigpen wasn't great (I was a huge Thigpen fan back in the day), but I've been very happy with Bobby's results as a whole.

Nellie_Fox
09-11-2010, 12:45 AM
For the most part of his career, wasn't Jenks a pretty cheap option for us? Four of his six seasons, Jenks was paid $550k or less. Only since 2009 has he hit "big bucks". I'm not sure how much Hoyt was paid as a percentage of the payroll, but Jenks was an integral part of the World Series win and also a very cheap but effective player for the first four of his six seasons here so far.

I'm not saying Hoyt wasn't the most effective or Thigpen wasn't great (I was a huge Thigpen fan back in the day), but I've been very happy with Bobby's results as a whole.NOBODY made any money back when Wilhelm was pitching for the Sox, and I meant it as no disrespect to Bobby, just an observation as to who I think the best in Sox history was. They weren't "closers" then, they were "firemen" who came in at any time during a game when they were needed to end a big threat. He might come in with the bases loaded in the sixth, then pitch the seventh and eighth, and someone else would "mop up" the ninth, so the save totals don't reflect his value to the team like his other stats do.

wilburaga
09-11-2010, 10:48 AM
NOBODY made any money back when Wilhelm was pitching for the Sox, and I meant it as no disrespect to Bobby, just an observation as to who I think the best in Sox history was. They weren't "closers" then, they were "firemen" who came in at any time during a game when they were needed to end a big threat. He might come in with the bases loaded in the sixth, then pitch the seventh and eighth, and someone else would "mop up" the ninth, so the save totals don't reflect his value to the team like his other stats do.

Here's a good illustration of what you're talking about.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1965/B07210NYA1965.htm

I selected this game because I was one of the 20,930 on hand. It was perhaps the most agonizing game I've attended. Not only did Wilhelm blow a two run lead in the ninth on a 'Joe Pepitone Special' that traveled 296' 1''. Then Tom Tresh dove into the left field stands to rob Danny Cater of a home run. Finally, Tresh put me out of my misery with a titanic blast into the right field bleachers off Eddie Fisher. Bad memories.

Lundind1
09-12-2010, 07:08 PM
I think just means the end of the line finally between Jenks and the Sox. He is growing tired of the organization and the organization has been growing tired of inconsistency.

Lip Man 1
09-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Agreed. They are not going to pay Bobby what he'll be awarded in arbitration, nor should they, considering his injury situation the past few seasons.

Lip

SI1020
09-12-2010, 07:19 PM
NOBODY made any money back when Wilhelm was pitching for the Sox, and I meant it as no disrespect to Bobby, just an observation as to who I think the best in Sox history was. They weren't "closers" then, they were "firemen" who came in at any time during a game when they were needed to end a big threat. He might come in with the bases loaded in the sixth, then pitch the seventh and eighth, and someone else would "mop up" the ninth, so the save totals don't reflect his value to the team like his other stats do. Sporting News even called them "firemen" until the year 2000.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/awards/aw_snfi.shtml